[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Musicians who like or dislike music you wouldn't expect

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 39

File: A-20085-1131456192.jpeg.jpg (8KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
A-20085-1131456192.jpeg.jpg
8KB, 300x300px
Kevin Shields likes Deftones and Korn
Aphex Twin likes Oasis and dislikes Radiohead
Jimmy Page likes Royal Blood
>>
Morrissey likes Smash Mouth
The bloke from Pantera is a massive Smiths fan
Michael Gira is a big Neil Diamond fan
>>
Why would Jimmy Page not like Royal Blood? Also I'm like 95% sure that Aphex is memeing around.
>>
>>73914303
Because he's old.
>>
Neil Young was a big fan and early supporter of stuff like Sonic Youth and Devo. Not too surprising in the context of the work he did after discovering them, but it surely must have been a surprise at the time.
>>
File: rshammettalbums.jpg?w=520.jpg (114KB, 520x864px) Image search: [Google]
rshammettalbums.jpg?w=520.jpg
114KB, 520x864px
Kirk Hammett's favorite albums of the 00s.
>>
File: Robert-Plant.jpg (54KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Robert-Plant.jpg
54KB, 600x400px
>The aging rock veteran, 59, was heard rubbishing critically acclaimed rock acts Radiohead and the Red Hot Chili Peppers - and then demanded to hear Captain Beefheart instead.
>A source said: He was drinking with a woman and didn't like the choice of tunes playing.
>Radiohead was on and he started complaining. He said, 'What's this rhyming crap?'
>The staff were obviously keen to please him so they changed the music. They put on the Red Hot Chili Peppers, who they thought might be more up his street. But he didn't like their stuff either and said it was like a 'nursery rhyme.'
>He then said he wanted to listen to Captain Beefheart.
>>
>>73914479
wtf i respect kirk hammett now
>>
>>73914743
He's not wrong about RHCP
>>
>>73914743
He's aging let him be
>>
File: David Bowie.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
David Bowie.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
Bowie had notably quite diverse taste in music, but I was still surprised to find that he was a fan of Black Flag and once went to one of their shows
>>
>>73914479
>talentless hack turns out to be a huge pleb
wow....
>>
Scott Walker digs Radiohead and even booked them for a festival he curated in 2000. And then of course the Sunn O))) collab.

Lou Reed called Yeezus a masterpiece and said it "brings tears to his eyes".

John Lydon really loves Kate Bush.
>>
>>73914889
I don't even like Metallica all that much but Kirk Hammett is undeniably very skilled at guitar
>>
>>73915029
Well who doesn't love Kate bush?
>>
>>73915029
>John Lydon really loves Kate Bush.
Lydon's a big fan of a lot of stuff that those who only know him from the Pistols would be surprised about. He notably did a radio show in his Pistols days where he played a bunch of fairly out there stuff that went rather against their image, and it apparently really pissed off Malcolm McLaren.
http://www.fodderstompf.com/ARCHIVES/REVIEWS%202/capital77.html

More surprising to me though was that Sid Vicious was into Can and he was the one that turned Lydon onto it
>>
>>73915029
>John Lydon really loves Kate Bush.
So does Big Boi
>>
>>73914479
thats actually chill and well rounded taste. Sort of entry level but not too entry level, and it shows a devotion towards meal/hardrock without being too stuck in the classics.
>>
Panic at the disco got their name from the smiths
>>
>>73914277
RDJ is also a big fan of Ween iirc
Patti Smith likes Loveless
Elliott Smith was really into Chet Baker though I guess that's not surprising
>>
Tyler Joseph likes clouddead and death grips
>>
Mick Jagger really liked Devo's version of Satisfaction, and apparently called it his favourite cover of it
Similarly, Roger McGuinn really liked Husker Du's reworking of Eight Miles High
>>73915150
>Patti Smith likes Loveless
She actually did an album with Kevin Shields, which is worth checking out if you're a fan of both of them
>>
Loveless has also been praised by Chuck Schuldiner as well as The Edge and Bono.

Thom Yorke likes Boris.
>>
Hayley Williams is patrician
>>
Ween are not Zappa fans

Darby Crash was a massive Bowie fan

>>73914826
This one isn't that surprising, considering he was a fan of the first band to ever bring that raw aggression to stage, long before that was at all common
>>
Chino from Deftones likes Justin Bieber
>>
>>73915271
It's not like black flag was the only punk band dude, plenty of others we're doing edgy and aggressive shit on stage
>>
>>73915150
Elliott Smith also loved Nico's album The Marble Index and used to play it endlessly for weeks at a time.
>>
>>73915190
>Mick Jagger really liked Devo's version of Satisfaction, and apparently called it his favourite cover of it
In the concert film/documentary Hardcore Devo, they talked about having Jagger in the studio to show him the cover, and he was dead silent and emotionless for the first 30 seconds, then just shot up and started dancing.

I mean how couldn't you love that cover though

In a similar vein, Jimmy Page called Dread Zeppelin his favorite band
>>
>>73915271
>Darby Crash was a massive Bowie fan
A lot of punks were Bowie fans surprisingly
>>
>>73915286
He probably meant the stooges, whom bowie was an early supporter of
>>
>>73915286
Reading comprehension isn't your thing, is it?

I was referring to the Stooges
>>
>>73915224
>Chuck Schuldiner
RIP
>>
File: Patrishye.jpg (59KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
Patrishye.jpg
59KB, 650x488px
>>
>>73915380
>using a severely mentally ill man's edgy self mutilation as a fashion statement
I fucking hate Kanye. I don't even care that the other members of MSP didn't care that he did it, he's a fucking twat.
>>
>While critics noted the influence of CBGB stalwarts Television, Casablancas and bandmates claimed to have never heard the band
>>
John Darnielle being really into metal always surprised me
>>
File: PhilElverumAtNirvanaShow.png (455KB, 658x454px) Image search: [Google]
PhilElverumAtNirvanaShow.png
455KB, 658x454px
>>
>>73915491
Bollocks
>>
>>73915514
>instead citing the Velvet Underground as a reference point.
>>
>>73915486
Uhh name one genius who ain't crazy :)
>>
Kozelek covered Elliott Smith for a tribute comp so I guess he at least somewhat likes him. I was sure he'd just think he's whiny or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAOVgrJGxX0
>>
>>73915486
What will Kanye not do for edgy fashion statements?
>>
>>73914768
lmao
>>
Perhaps not that surprising, but Blur were big fans of the Cardiacs, and they invited the band to open for them at a big show they did in London. They didn't go down well, and supposedly the band had enough coins thrown at them that they paid for their dinner with it.
>>
>>73915092
Didn't the documentary say that it was 3 stacks who loved Kate Bush?
>>
>>73914479
glad he recognises Rated R as the best QOTSA album
>>
>>73915600
jesus this cover is painful to listen to
>>
>>73915600
then again, considering how shitty the cover is it's perfectly possible that he's trolling
>>
>>73915271
>Ween are not Zappa fans
their music has nothing in common except they're both weird
>>
File: KurtCobain12.jpg (410KB, 634x944px) Image search: [Google]
KurtCobain12.jpg
410KB, 634x944px
Apparently Kurt was a big fan of Bauhaus and a secret lover of goth/deathrock. Courtney said his Bauhaus records were all scratched up from being played a lot. This is coming from Courtney Love though.
>>
>>73915692
he claimed to have never listened to joy division though
>>
>>73915692
Kurt's taste was quite diverse and well developed, so that doesn't surprise me. I read once that his favourite song of 1991 was There's No Other Way by Blur once though, and that took me a bit aback
>>
>>73915486
>he doesn't worship raf

fucking faggot
>>
>>73915692
the first concert kurt ever went to was a van halen show. of course he went to great lengths to cover this up with his phony anti-cockrock attitude
>>
>>73915718
Here's the interview about that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Dnt9SXKMU
>>
>>73915760
raf needs to be put down
>>
Michael Gira is a fan of minimalism
Robert Fripp dislikes rock and almost all guitar music
>>73915512
He also seems to be fan of black metal.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUrwmPnL-ec
>>
File: Kendrick-Lamar_12-07-2015.jpg (16KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Kendrick-Lamar_12-07-2015.jpg
16KB, 250x250px
>>73914277
K dot's favorite rapper is Earl Sweatshirt
>>
Jeff Mangum loves Cheap Trick.

The only modern music Will Hart likes is Sunn O))).
>>
File: gira.jpg (117KB, 330x500px) Image search: [Google]
gira.jpg
117KB, 330x500px
>>73915797
>He also seems to be fan of black metal.

He specifically likes Cascadian/Depressive black metal, especially Xasthur.

Also Gira's favorite album is Ziggy Stardust.
>>
Taylor Swift is more of a patrician than you.
Ryan Adams listens to more punk than you.
Chelsea Wolfe goes deeper on metal than you.
Kanye West knows more about electronic music than most electronic musicians.

Pretty much ever "poseur" artist in any genre is, in their personal life, a fucking expert in the non-poseur artists of their genre and would put most of us to shame with their expertise.

Fucked up, but it's true.
>>
Kesha likes The Residents
>>
>>73915689
The amount of people that assumed they were Zappa fans was significant enough for it to be included on their wikipedia page
>>
>>73915849
>Also Gira's favorite album is Ziggy Stardust.
The debate is over folks
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kTsbuoTOKs

This one through me for a loop at first, but in hindsight it makes sense since they are both racist faggots.
>>
>>73915823
for real?
>>
>>73915990
fuck off reddit
>>
File: Steven-Wilson.jpg (238KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Steven-Wilson.jpg
238KB, 1600x900px
http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/playlist-archive/

Just look at all the shit he listens to
>>
File: hayleytalkingheads.jpg (86KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
hayleytalkingheads.jpg
86KB, 600x600px
>>73915238
Confirmed
>>
>>73916065
total patrician right there
>>
>>73916065
>The Shaggs – Philosophy of the World
Wew lad
>>
>>73916118
What's wrong with The Shaggs?
>>
>>73915785
DELET
>>
The majority of what's being posted in here is lol not true. Not sure why liking the Deftones is surprising as they're _actually_ original.
>>
>>73915826
Who is this Will Hart? he seems like my kinda guy.
>>
>>73915867
ok, so how do we know this?
>>
>>73916151
>ironically liking genuinely awful music
>>
>>73916154
U srs m8? He was one half of the Olivia Tremor Control, before the other half died.
>>
>>73916168
That's the point of the Shaggs though, it's just girls playing random shit because they have no idea how to play the instruments and that's what makes it so unique, if they actually did play good, this album would had been quickly forgotten as generic 60's garage rock
>>
>>73914743
patrician as fuck
>>
>>73916168
>tfw I unironically like half of it

It's like how a parent loves their kid's shitty elementary school play. It's just so sweet.

Also the one sister who went on to keep making music makes pretty catchy shit.
>>
>>73915029
Yeezus is a great album but Lou Reed was probably just being a sarcastic shit
>>
Madness frontman Suggs was a fan and roadie for Skrewdriver and friend of Ian Stuart's. The TV/radio presenter Mark Radcliffe also drummed for them. This was in their early days as a pre-Nazi band and is understandably something both keep quiet about, but it was still a surprised to find out.
>>
>>73915238
failure is her favorite band, as well as maynard keenan's
>>
>>73916221
>>73916248
You're glossing over the fact that they didn't even want to make it and their dad forced them to. He even said something like "I want to market them while they're still young and hot."

It's actually a really unsettling record when you learn its whole backstory.
>>
>>73916036
nah, its Tupac, followed by Biggie, Jay Z, Nas and Eminem
>>
>>73914277
>Aphex Twin likes Oasis
source on that? its actually bretty cool
>>
>>73915652
Nah dude
https://youtu.be/lLaJaEgm3KQ
>>
>>73915797
>Michael Gira is a fan of minimalism
Why would that be surprising at all? A lot of Swans' music is super repetitive and minimalist in arrangement.
>>
>>73916406
>I didn't agree with all the techno bands who said rock was dead either. I like rock music. Oasis is pretty good, they're like a modified version of old music like The Beatles. That's OK. I mean, I suppose my ambient stuff is just a modified version of Brian Eno. The difference is, I had never heard any Brian Eno before I started making records.

The link was marked as spam but if you google that it comes up.
>>
Snoop Dogg and Willie Nelson have collaborated multiple times. And yeah, most of those songs have been related to pot.

Bob Dylan recently gave Kesha the best hug of her life, according to Kesha. Also Dylan is the reason Kesha started writing songs.

David Bowie said the one kind of music he never got into was country music.

Bob Dylan was on a Kurtis Blow record when hip-hop was still relatively new.

David Letterman's favorite song is Everlong.

Merle Haggard said modern country is crap, the way "they're treating the president is criminal" when Obama was in office and wrote a song for Hillary.
>>
>>73914277
I can see kevin liking deftones, but the aphex-oasis thing is a joke. only natural he'd dislike radiohead but he distanced himself from those comments a while ago

>classic rock guitarist likes buttrock revival band
not surprising

>>73915692
kurt loved noise rock and post-punk, I'd be surprised if he didn't like bauhaus

>>73916065
the guy is really quite eclectic and it shows in his music, it's a shame a majority of his audience is closeminded and listens to nothing but outdated classic prog and shit metal
>>
In the 70s and early 80s Bruce Springsteen and Joe Strummer had a friendly rivalry and viewed each other as the English and American equivalents to one another.
>>
>>73914826
Bowie also likes Grandaddy and went to one of their shows and surprised the band after the show was finished, who hadn't even seen him
>>
Slash is a fan of the Dutch Post-Punk band Minny Pops and had them open for him at a show in England
>>
>>73916757
The Clash seems to have always been pals with roots related rockers. Joe Ely, a country singer-songwriter, was on Should I Stay Or Should I Go
>>
loosely related but geoff barrow was doing bitmoji reviews of all the artists he saw when glastonbury was on which was pretty funny
>>
>>73915867
>Pretty much ever "poseur" artist in any genre is, in their personal life, a fucking expert in the non-poseur artists of their genre and would put most of us to shame with their expertise.
Seriously this
Probably what the case is with me

Debatably the case with Radiohead and The Beatles and Bowie
>>
>>73916899
definitely the case with those (probably not all members of radiohead, but definitely jonny). admittedly they do have some artistic integrity themselves though.

I think what's more interesting is that there are probably a shitload of guys in who play a small role in popular bands (or even just session musicians) that really love music but just got dragged into making shit (and making good money from it). cognitive dissonance must be off the chart
>>
>>73915147
Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ
>>
>>73915689
In all fairness, the comparison is obvious.
>>
Black Francis, lead singer of the Pixies, was a big fan of Peter, Paul & Mary.
>>
>>73915271
>Ween are not Zappa fans
this is incorrect they've stated before that they like his music but are not influenced by him
>>
>>73917090
They said they don't like anything post-Mothers
>>
>>73916561
thanks lad
>>
>>73916354

It sounds great and that's all that matters. The only things I don't like about the album are the short length and some of the lyrics. The dissonance is beautiful and exciting, the off-kilter rhythms keep you grooving, it's just a fun album. Anyone that says otherwise probably doesn't even enjoy music.
>>
Brian Wilson is a fan of this band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJGzm2fF2Uo
>>
Michael Gira likes the Beatles.
>>
>>73917857
this makes perfect sense
>>
>>73914826
I heard once that when Arcade Fire dropped Funeral, he went around buying copies of it to give to all his friends.

Just hearsay though.
>>
>>73915912
Source?
>>
>>73915797
>Robert Fripp dislikes rock and almost all guitar music

Not surprised
>>
I think I saw once a huge list of music kesha liked and it had a lot of semi patrish shit on it, might've been all bogus but I dont know why anyone would lie about such meaningless shit.
I remember it had akron/family on there wich fucking blew my mind considering not even /mu/ ever talks about that god-tier band.
>>
>>73917372
But mothers is where all of the really good and really weird stuff happened, so it adds up.
>>
Merzbow once mentioned Bring Me The Horizon as a band he had been listening to and enjoying.
>>
>>73918231
Zappa's got some great post-mothers albums, though. Apostrophe and Joe's Garage come to mind.
>>
Mike Kinsella is really into Depeche Mode and synth pop
Tim Kinsella is into Beefheart and Can (makes sense when you hear joan of arc tho)
>>
Autechre are huge fans of hip-hop, especially Young Thug.
>>
John Lydon really likes Van der Graaf Generator
>>
>>73919674
so do a lot of artists apparently

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/peter-hammill-heart-attack-music-44837.html
>>
>>73919816
Damn nigga you spooked me, I thought he had a heart attack
>>
>>73919816
>"I do flip between being chatty and argumentative - and being a psycho-loner werewolf," he concedes

i like a lot of his stuff but fucking lmao
>>
>>73918376
>Autechre are huge fans of hip-hop, especially Young Thug.
https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/2756

It's true.
>>
>>73919862
*recently
>>
>>73919816
meh his discography is so inconsistent, albums like Nadir's Big Chance, Pawn Hearts, and Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night are all timeless masterpieces but shit like Grounding in Numbers and Do Not Disturb are trash, it's not even that he just got old because Incoherence is amazing
>>
File: reigen.png (947KB, 1280x1409px) Image search: [Google]
reigen.png
947KB, 1280x1409px
>>73914277
https://youtu.be/2xJ1weLN7wc
Ill just leave this here
:D
>>
>>73915029
>New York hipster liberal melodramatically lauds token famous black artist

HOLY HECK! DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING!
>>
>>73915029
Based Lou.
>>
>>73916154
bitch, get on my E6 level
>>
File: bigboi.jpg (555KB, 1278x756px) Image search: [Google]
bigboi.jpg
555KB, 1278x756px
>>73915092
he posts about her all the time on Instagram. He even got to hang out backstage after one of the shows and was stoked, apparently he bought all the available tour merchandise on sale afterwards lol. Buddy is a certified waifu warrior
>>
>>73915176
not sure if serious or memeing- i honestly can't tell
>>
>>73914743
B A S E D if true
>>
>>73916271
his review is online

>>73920375(You)
>>
>>73915044

not even the best guitarist in the band :^)
>>
>>73915912
also the fall, jawbreaker, the mountain goats, and yo la tengo
>>
>>73914743
wtf I love dadrock now
>>
>>73916065
I'm not suprised that his taste is so varied. The guy lives and breathes music. Yet some of his fans demand the same shit over and over.
>>
>Aaliyah was a fan since Broken
>Aaliyah tried to get to be the one to present Reznor's MTV performance but was told no because 'muh not similar genres'
>not bothered by it, when interviewed, asked what she was excited for
>"Can't wait to see Nine Inch Nails"
>Met up with Reznor a little while later, trying to get a collaboration going
>Didn't know at the same time, Reznor was getting restless and looking to make a proto How To Destroy Angels project, woth not only an interest in a female vocalist, but genre was of no concern

And All That Could Have Been ;_;
>>
>>73921078
this would've been amazing. i think tront's been hinting at an R&B direction with a few of the songs on hesitation marks
>>
Jake White is apparently a clouddead fan. He even covered Two Dogs Dead at one of his concerts.
>>
danny brown has a pretty diverse taste in music

korn, love, radiohead, joy division
>>
>>73915797
lmao
>>
>>73917857
man i really dig these guys, the kexp recording is great
>>
>>73921078
God damn, why does life got to play /ourboy/ Trent so bad. He's managed to made it through though and I'm not sure if I'd trade this timeline for the Trent+Aaliyah one.
>>
>>73918127
same here, he doesn't seem like much of a happy man

>>73918332
source?
>>
File: 1496278805374.png (377KB, 1468x1376px) Image search: [Google]
1496278805374.png
377KB, 1468x1376px
>>73921078
>>
File: asshole.jpg (137KB, 1022x666px) Image search: [Google]
asshole.jpg
137KB, 1022x666px
>>73921418
but he is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64VGyoIyBgc&t=130s
>>
>>73914277
>Interviewer: The sister project related to the same piece of Penderecki is going to be realized by Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead. You once stated, that you do not like this band too much.

>Aphex: Thats a fact, but recently I contacted Thom York though the internet. I told him: Do not believe everything you read on the newspapers.

>Interviewer: So did you bury the hatchet ?

>Aphex: My opinion towards my demotivation with Radiohead was exaggerated.
>>
>>73921513
Cute!
>>
>>73914277
>Kevin Shields likes Deftones and Korn
Based Kevin
>>
>>73915224
Speaking of Edge and Bono, they were into a ton of industrial and experimental stuff ahead of the wave, they namedrop shit like Einsturzende Neubauten in interviews and have had a lot of diverse acts open for them.
Bono also called The Antlers' Burst Apart one of his favorite recent albums
>>
>>73921664
>Bono also called The Antlers' Burst Apart one of his favorite recent albums
Based. Burst Apart is the best Antlers album.
>>
>>73914277
>Kevin Shields likes Korn

source?
>>
File: Gary-Numan-770.jpg (522KB, 2036x472px) Image search: [Google]
Gary-Numan-770.jpg
522KB, 2036x472px
well known mutual admiration, but an extremely sweet adulation from Numan.

The Master inspired the Student, who re-inspired the Master.
>>
File: Courtney.jpg (280KB, 956x962px) Image search: [Google]
Courtney.jpg
280KB, 956x962px
Reznor on Courtney Love.
>>
File: Reasonable Reznor 6.jpg (216KB, 656x740px) Image search: [Google]
Reasonable Reznor 6.jpg
216KB, 656x740px
>>
>>73916168
i have a brain meme for this that i spent like half an hour looking for but can't find
peabrains listen to bad music
enlightened brains listen to bad music ironically
>>
Robert Smith goes to an afterparty in New Orleans
Finds out this is where Reznor lived.
Invites Reznor to the party'
>Reznor decides to go
>They see each other
>Reznor admires Robert
>Robert admires Trent
>Robert has a Morrissey moment, breaks down into tears and hugs Reznor right on the spot.
>>
File: B_BMHzYU8AEPxT8[1].png (16KB, 441x453px) Image search: [Google]
B_BMHzYU8AEPxT8[1].png
16KB, 441x453px
>>73917857
brian wilson is also a fan of norbit
>>
>>73921791
brian is the purest soul to ever walk the earth
>>
>>73921773
cute
>>
>>73915768
He admitted to the fact that he liked Dad Rock as a kid, so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1Z2BkZaOQc
>>
>>73921773
Too bad one of them is going to die before they get to collab.
>>
File: bordered on autism.png (94KB, 799x679px) Image search: [Google]
bordered on autism.png
94KB, 799x679px
francoise hardy was a fan of nick drake's work
will take any opportunity i can to post this one tbdesu
>>
>>73921863
so nick could have lost his virginity to a french goddess?
>>
>>73921851
Tront Reznor Musician fitness boot camp is coming after the third ep. Manson and Smith are first clients.
>>
>>73915282
>from Deftones likes

I like Deftones and old Bieber's stuff
>>
File: fhud.gif (969KB, 500x327px) Image search: [Google]
fhud.gif
969KB, 500x327px
>>73921878
potentially, but nick was already well on the way to becoming a wizard, maybe he didn't wanna trade in his mana.
>>
Thom Yorke likes Red Hit Chili Peppers and U2
>>
>>73914277
>Aphex Twin likes Oasis and dislikes Radiohead
top lad desu. the only way to go for any self respecting man.
>>
>>73914826
Bowie had such good taste.
>>
File: 83602.jpg (148KB, 770x433px) Image search: [Google]
83602.jpg
148KB, 770x433px
>>73922030
a shame really, they would have made cute babies
>>
>>73915512
In the actual interview video he sounds like he doesn't give a shit about Nirvana though. Also, his friend seems to barely know them. They sound really young, 13-14.
>>
>>73914303
>Also I'm like 95% sure that Aphex is memeing around
I doubt it.
I imagine he thinks Radiohead are pseuds, basically doing a watered down pop version of himself and other electronic stuff he listens to.
While Oasis are just being themselves, and they reflect British lad culture pretty well, something that he himself is a part of.
>>
>>73915718
He was just pretending because they already did the suicide meme and he didn't want people to think he was ripping them off
>>
>>73922097
>While Oasis are just being themselves, and they reflect British lad culture pretty well

this is also the reason why they were so big in the UK, they were the working class band while Blur was the middle class one.
>>
>>73914479
wtf i love kirk hammett now
>>
>>73921904
The dude has a really versatile taste though, also a big fan of NIN, the Smiths and Depeche Mode although those are way less surprising
>>
>>73914826
He also used Kendrick and DG as inspiration for Blackstar.
>>
Ozzy Osborne, Ronnie James Dio, Gene Simmons, and many other hard rock/heavy metal stars love the band ABBA. It's one of Gene Simmons' top 5 bands.
>>
Nu-metal band Slipknot would listen to Electric 6 before going out on stage.
>>
>>73922387
who doesn't love abba
>>
>>73921863
Was he, dare I say it, /our guy/?
>>
>>73914277
honestly Deftones were the most experimental from the mainstream nu metal, I don't like the fact that Kevin likes Beatles...
>>
>>73922833
>don't like the fact that Kevin likes Beatles...
Pretty much every pop/rock musician likes The Beatles, tho.
>>
>>73922833
Deftones and System of a down are the only good things to come out of that era
>>
Steve Albini likes Bush.
>>
File: 1490231538339.jpg (25KB, 540x359px) Image search: [Google]
1490231538339.jpg
25KB, 540x359px
>>73921771
well fuck here it is
>>
>>73923530
lol this is fantastic
>>
>>73922833
>I don't like the fact that Kevin likes Beatles...
Strip away all the guitar effects from Kevin's music and all you're left with are pretty standard pop songs.
>>
File: Bill-Ward.jpg (46KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
Bill-Ward.jpg
46KB, 630x420px
Bill Ward listens to death metal
>>
>>73915092
Other Kate Bush fan is Steven Wilson.
>>
There was an interview with Gerard Way a couple years back that said he listened to Endtroducing and fell in love with it.
>>
>>73923882
Also, Kate Bush was a fan of Zappa and Captain Beefheart.
>>
>>73918002
Wouldn't surprise me. He supported them quite early on and performed with them once.
>>
>>73917857
First time I've seen someone on /mu/ mention The Lemon Twigs. I think some of their stuff is pretty good.
>>
>>73923909
He got the band name from an Irvine Welsh book. The guy is a true patrician.
>>
>>73921513
His wife is hot as fuck
>>
File: kesha's influences.jpg (379KB, 916x653px) Image search: [Google]
kesha's influences.jpg
379KB, 916x653px
Surprised no one has posted Ke$has musical influences yet.
>>
File: 1499820004107.jpg (85KB, 541x694px) Image search: [Google]
1499820004107.jpg
85KB, 541x694px
>>73914277
>Aphex Twin likes Oasis and dislikes Radiohead
Wow, who knew Apex Twin was a patrician
>>
>>73915600
He did an interview with Ben Gibbard and he talked about how he saw Elliott Smith at one of his shows. http://www.stereogum.com/1733880/ben-gibbard-mark-kozelek-discuss-st-vincent-modest-mouse-elliott-smith-in-another-published-email-thread/news/
>>
>>73914479
>De-Loused
I wonder what he thought of Frances
>>
>>73914479
>Sharon Jones
nice
>>
Bruce Springsteen is apparently a massive punk fan and was huge into Suicide. I might be remembering incorrectly but I believe he wrote something when Alan Vega died
>>
Don't bother posting if you're not going to provide a source people. These kind of threads need it.
>>
>>73923978
>kraftwork
As much as I love those other bands I can't let this slide
>>
>>73924177
He wrote a song inspired by Frankie Teardrop for his Nebraska album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU5MyNuBdhg
>>
>>73923978
>david bowie x2
>kraftwork
>>
>>73924184
she has Beck there twice too
she probably didn't proofread the list
>>
>>73915797
baseless
>>
>>73918127
>>73921166
Anon said it, therefore it must be true.
>>
Peter Christopherson from Coil liked Katy Perry
>>
>>73915720
>I read once that his favourite song of 1991 was There's No Other Way by Blur
I mean, that is a great fucking song
>>
>>73922448
Rhythmless, heartless people
>>
>>73922387
>>73922448
Boyd Rice also likes ABBA.
>>
>>73923856
I know that, even the atmosphere is really poppy, but I just don't like Beatles
>the fact that
and I have no problem with Pop if it's done good, not like the mainstream top 40 shit
>>
>>73922441
>nu-metal band Slipknot
As opposed to 80s hardcore punk Slipknot?
>>
>>73919816
>"Our equipment was held for ransom after a show," Hammill remembers. "It was normally people who were held to ransom, and normally their fingers or ears that were returned as proof - which worried us. We'd done a show where the Left were the promoters. But the more I think about this, I don't think I understand what happened in Italy. I don't think anyone did. There was some degree of organised crime, an element of police corruption, some kind of Fascist involvement. Maybe this was the point at which we realised we are just a group, and we're chasing after an urgent human laugh at the absurdity of everything, and trying to be very scary. But that was when we seriously ran up against bigger things."
fucking what lad
>>
>>73923909
He also loves Blur and Pulp. Who knew he was so patrician.
>>
Thurston Moore is into John Fahey and did a concert with him

Mac Demarco is into Van Dyke Parks

Thom Yorke is into Cardiacs
>>
>>73914277
>Kevin Shields likes Korn
cool
>>73914479
cool, even tho I don't like lamb of god or the black keys

RZA really likes Elton John, and Elton John likes RZA so much that he lets him sample his music.
>>
>>73914303
>I'm like 95% sure that Aphex is memeing around.
this is true , he makes up random shit all the time.

although there is something to the radiohead beef I think he legitimately felt some blow to his ego that apparent guitar players were able to capture a little of his essense, at least in the publics eye. imagine being the king of experimental electronic music and then one day everyone's asking you if youve ever met the guys who wrote "creep"
>>
>>73924177
He was good friends with Joe Strummer and played tribute to him at Glastonbury
>>
>>73915600
Kozelek is also really big on Godflesh and covered Like Rats once, but then again given the Jesu Collaborations that isn't as surprising as it used to be.
>>
File: Durst Smiths.jpg (12KB, 220x351px) Image search: [Google]
Durst Smiths.jpg
12KB, 220x351px
>>73925317
>>
>>73925317
>born in NC
>raised in Jacksonville
I believe him
>>
Bob Dylan is a fan of the Pogues.
>>
File: IMG_2010.jpg (70KB, 640x340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2010.jpg
70KB, 640x340px
One of Kanye's favorite bands is Hoobastank
>>
>>73922833
who doesn't like the beatles
>>
File: IMG_2011.jpg (17KB, 209x204px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2011.jpg
17KB, 209x204px
>>73925499
>>
>>73925317
I can't believe this desu
>>
>>73925475
Seriously? What the fuck. I would have never expected that.
>>
>>73923916
She put Beefheart's worst album on her top 10 list...
>>
File: Top50byNirvana.jpg (120KB, 600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Top50byNirvana.jpg
120KB, 600x1000px
>>73915692
>>73915720
>>
>>73923916
I remember watching an old interview with her were she says she's a King Crimson fan, although that might not be surprising since she's very obviously influenced by prog.
>>
>>73925789
>Swans, Half Japanese, Shaggs, all this shitty hardcore punk, Bowie

so Kurt was a mallgoth, what a surprise
>>
>>73924267
http://www.elephant-talk.com/wiki/Interview_with_Robert_Fripp_in_Guitar_Player_(1974)
>I've never really listened to guitarists, because they've never really interested me. In fact, I think the guitar is a pretty feeble instrument. Virtually nothing interests me about the guitar.
>When I was 21 I realized that I'd never really listened to music or been interested in it particularly.
>>
>>73925822
http://thehomegroundandkatebushnewsandinfoforum.yuku.com/kate-spotted-at-a-king-crimson-gig-t22973.html
>>
>>73914743
he's clearly just been spending time on /mu/
>>
>>73918376
Young Thug prod. by Autechre when?
>>
>>73925849
Kill la Kill yourself
>>
>>73914277
>Kevin Shields likes Deftones
That's pretty cool. I know Deftones is really into shoegaze and it's an influence in their post-Around the Fur material
>>
>>73925901
you just made me throw up in my mouth, fucking kill yourself disgusting weeb fag
>>
>>73925096
Aphex Twin has said in various moments that he doesn't like rock music
>>
>>73914826
>ywn see Bowie in a Black Flag moshpit

JUST
>>
>>73925946
kill la kill is pretty based, though.
>>
>>73925860
>>I've never really listened to guitarists, because they've never really interested me. In fact, I think the guitar is a pretty feeble instrument. Virtually nothing interests me about the guitar.
>Still plays it.
What's his fucking problem?
>>
>>73923916

Her top 10

>1.Frank Zappa: Overnite Sensation -"Montana"was the first Zappa track I ever heard and it's stuck as a firm favourite.

>2. A.L. Lloyd and Eran MacColl : Blow Boys Blow - I was brought up with this album.

>3. The Eagles: One of These Nights - I played it to death when studying with Lindsay Kemp and it reminds me of him.

>4. David Bowie Young Americans - It reminds me of 1976, the drought summer and open windows.

>5. The Beatles Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - Because it's an album of excellent songs.

>6. Eberhard Weber Fluid Rustle - It's like having your brain massaged.

>7. Captain Beefheart Blue Jeans and Moonbeams - This is the Beefheart album where he writes love songs like nobody else.

>8. Stevie Wonder The Secret Life of Plants - Because it's a modern symphony with a high emotional content.

>9. Pink Floyd The Wall - Because it reminds me of last Christmas and open fires and I wish I'd written it.

>10. The TV National Iranian Chamber Orchestra Treasures of the Baroque Era - Because it allows my mind to sit down and go "aah". I listen to it when doing paperwork. In fact while writing this list!
>>
>>73915797
>Robert Fripp

who?
>>
>>73925946
Go fuck yourself. Those weren't just some 'shitty hardcore punk' albums, most of them are pretty good.
>>
>>73925992
She also said this about Zappa:
Kate Bush: "I never challenged or asked for the serious interpretation and evaluation of my music. A sense of quality does not exclude humour."
Interviewer: "Do you have an ideal or predecessor for that?"
Kate Bush: "Frank Zappa was a very smart man. He said that, as an artist, you can live a free and untamed life, in case you have a solid family life. I love this idea."
Interviewer: "Why?"
Kate Bush: "I´ve never met Zappa, but people who have portray him as a very dear person, different from his image. I have always preferred my privacy over my public life, because I work best with a stable home base. The idea that the artist who suffers ist the best doesn´t apply to me. I work better, when I´m fine."
>>
File: 5121915878_7499a28f15_b.jpg (371KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
5121915878_7499a28f15_b.jpg
371KB, 1024x768px
>>73926003
The greatest rock guitarist of all time.
>>
>>73914795
can't disagree, Anthony Keidis is one of the worst lyricists of all time, not just the words he writes but the poetic meter used (rhyme so closely packed that they sound like "nursery rhymes" exactly like Plant described).
>>
>>73925992
How patrician is this list /mu/?
>>
>>73926053
like a 7/10, some of the artists are pratician but she picks their most accessible albums.
>>
>>73926053
7/10, better than most /mu/ and doesn't pretend shit's deep, she just seems to really like them for the most simple things
>>
>>73926033
Sharp lady and wise words. Thanks for sharing the quote.
>>
>>73915224
Based Chuck
>>
File: bio-scaruffi-piero-2-400x400.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
bio-scaruffi-piero-2-400x400.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
>>73925499
>Contemporary musicians never spoke highly of the Beatles, and for good reason. They could never figure out why the Beatles' songs should be regarded more highly than their own.
>>
>>73925789
I'll never not be confused that the Melvins weren't on this list
>>
The Jesus Lizard did not one but TWO Trio covers of all things
>>
>>73915224
Chuck Schuldiner was unironically a "listen to everything but country and rap" guy.

Good thing he died before the tuff guy era and way before the hipster era.
>>
I know for a fact many musicians think highly of Scott Walker and Throbbing Gristle.
>>
>>73926205
Some artists also saw John's naive "love is all we need" as the destructive and misleading load of shit that it was. See Zappa's "Oh No" and Steely Dan's "Only a Fool Would Say That"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zjJw9YvA18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06a19-S77F4
>>
>>73926289
That's awesome. I'd like to go on a dinner date with David Yow.
>>
>>73918376
Not surprising at all, their music has really blatant hip hop influences.
>>
>>73926345
He's actually a chef too
>>
>>73926216
Lol same
>>
>>73915768
>young person's taste in music is entry level

woa what a phony
>>
File: Mick-Ronson-011.jpg (42KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
Mick-Ronson-011.jpg
42KB, 620x372px
>>73915308
>A lot of punks were Bowie fans surprisingly

That's because Bowie and Mick Ronson invented punk in 1972 with the riff from "Hang on to Yourself". I'm not being rhetorical or making a controversial statement, either, many musicians have said this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL0Vwqm1rGc
>>
>>73926594
Sorry dude, the Stooges and the MC5 were both doing shit way harder than this, and way more punky than this, long before this song came along. I can see it having an influence, but saying they invented punk is disingenuous. The Stooges probably had influenced that riff.
>>
Go see grmsfags using racist slurs for an hour while constantly whining how the board is mean to them:
>>73926450
>>
>>73923950
Agreed. Friend saw them at SXSW, apparently they're consistently good live.
>>
>>73921162
>diverse
Oh boy
>>
>>73926633
You're right that 'invented punk" was a poor choice of words on my part, and you are definitely right about the influence of The Stooges and MC5. Their attitude, stage presence, vocal styling etc. You are dead-on. My bad for creating a misleading train of thought here.

But if we're talking about the "commonly accepted" first Punk album - The Ramones self-titled in 1976 -- simply listen to how many times that riff is used on that album.
>>
>>73926308
Scott Walker's one of the most interesting musicians of the modern era (with an exquisite baritone voice to boot). His four tracks on Nite Flights are four of the best songs of the 70s, and Tilt and The Drift are two of the most artful and memorable avant-garde albums.
>>
>>73915867
And what's the source on these?
>>
sean lennon digs the beach boys and believes smile is the most important record of all time
>>
>>73915990
I'm not even that big of a Pantera fan but this is genuinely nice
>>
>>73915570
>>73915514
tbf they sound more like TVU than television.

television never went for that straightforward "rock" sound that the strokes liked
>>
>>73925789
>idiots not remembering that this is pre-internet

kurt was patrician as shit
>>
>>73923909
his favorite album is ziggu stardust
>>
File: 1492736263908.jpg (91KB, 480x667px) Image search: [Google]
1492736263908.jpg
91KB, 480x667px
>>73921135
Fucking nice. tfw no reunion tour ever and the latest anticon releases are weak.
>>
>>73927824
I didn't post that picture. Thanks Nihongo-Moot.
>>
>>73917857
source?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8LLK-0SqKk

John Cale from TVU loves rap music and uses 808s in all of his new records
>>
Subtle (Doseone, Jel, Dax Pierson and Antonionian) and Mike Patton did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqbkL-bPyfk before eventually forming Nevermen with Doseone and Tunde Adebimpe.
>>
>>73916692
>only natural he'd dislike radiohead
really? why?
>>
>>73916152
Hello normie
>>
>>73925877
She was also spotted in a Radiohead concert last year. https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/may/28/radiohead-review-textured-set-which-flits-between-medicinal-bliss-and-fractious-fury
>>
>>73921694
This is awesome
>>
>>73915055
People with shit taste.
>>
>>73926045
>hates guitar
>plays it 12 hours a day
Fripp is an absolute madman
>>
>>73921737
what band does he mean by DM?
>>
>>73929574
Depeche Mode
>>
>>73921863
>>73921878
>>73922030
>>73922057
>>73922820
Wait, did Nick Drake die a virgin? Or are you guys just memeing?
>>
>>73922038
Based Thom.
>>
>>73922940
agreed
>>
>>73929642
He probably did. He was never known to have had a girlfriend, and no-one had known of him having sex with anyone, male or female. He was also a turbo-autist around women.
>>
>>73929642
This is common knowledge.
>>
File: Bent Trent 2.png (713KB, 800x604px) Image search: [Google]
Bent Trent 2.png
713KB, 800x604px
>>73921102
mfw after he called Prince out for bragging but not backing it up with results, he made a better Prince song with All Time Low then Prince had made in years.
>>
>>73918190
yeah she had a huge list of influences on her old MySpace page
>>
This thread: Trent Reznor is an absolute star
>>
>>73926003
notorious serial rapist robert fripp
>>
>>73914277
>Aphex Twin dislikes Radiohead
Why wouldn't he? They blatantly ripped him off and got called geniuses for it.
>>
>>73931013
I've never understood the 'Radiohead ripped off Aphex Twin' idea.
>>
>>73931098
Hi Thom.
>>
>>73931098

They remind me of Skinny Puppy and Ministry fans with Trent Reznor. They don't understand the difference between ripping off and drawing inspiration.
>>
>>73931098
well, he was obviously a huge influence. and generally when people don't like something they rephrase "huge influence" as "ripped off"
>>
>>73926310
You now are aware that All You Need Is Love was a song written for a television show in competition with Paul and it the lyrical content is written so it's easy for all languages to be able to sing along with it, it isn't really meant to mean anything.
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.