[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are covers only such a big deal with music, albums and singles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 7

Why are covers only such a big deal with music, albums and singles in particular? You see hundreds of variations of book covers, film posters, etc, yet the covers to music relations become forever attached to their release.
>>
Eh, I know this is kind of a retard thing to say, but having nice art (or just fitting is most important) really can add to the experience. It can help give context to what the intent was, or an idea of what the people who made it are like.
>>
Music isn't a visual medium, so album art goes a long way in making the artist's aesthetic sensibilities clear
>>
File: Rye_catcher.jpg (70KB, 223x351px) Image search: [Google]
Rye_catcher.jpg
70KB, 223x351px
>>73898850

>You see hundreds of variations of book covers

There are thousands of truly iconic book covers too desu
>>
>>73898850

Music is such an abstract non-visual concept as opposed to film or literature, so the album cover is the only point of reference you have to convey the feeling the art is trying to convey.
>>
File: selindjer_nad_propastyu_vo_rji.jpg (80KB, 350x541px) Image search: [Google]
selindjer_nad_propastyu_vo_rji.jpg
80KB, 350x541px
>>73899080
There are but you're much, much, much more likely to see a book that usually has said cover sporting another cover than you are an album with an iconic cover.
>>
>>73899134

Sure but this is much more common with classics and other older books. When it comes to newer literature there's usually more consistency.
>>
>>73899317
As a Canadian, I NEVER saw that cover as a kid. Not till I started using the internet, around 14 or so. Pic related is the one I knew.
>>
File: 19bf1by8xytzwjpg.jpg (788KB, 1730x1002px) Image search: [Google]
19bf1by8xytzwjpg.jpg
788KB, 1730x1002px
>>73899345
There were lots of regional exclusive artwork for Harry Potter
>>
File: TheGreatGatsby_1925jacket.jpg (134KB, 300x449px) Image search: [Google]
TheGreatGatsby_1925jacket.jpg
134KB, 300x449px
>>
>>73898850
I think at this point it's just a cultural norm. But it's true that music, more than literature, is interested in creating a specific aesthetic. Which is why music is 'cooler' than books too (that's a pretty sweeping thing to say, but you understand what I'm saying). So album artworks are now culturally accepted as part of the broader aesthetic a band puts out there, which, for better or worse, is a huge part of the music industry above and beyond the sounds themselves
>>
>>73898850
>Why are covers only such a big deal with music, albums and singles in particular?

They aren't. All they are there for is being able to pick it out and recognize it. No one actually cares unless it's embarrassingly bad
>>
>>73900963
Thats not true. Albums normally have an official standard artwork, which are seen as part of the package. The images are much more associated with the work than say, book covers with the work.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.