[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anything come even close to this? I feel like despite some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: goodvibrationssingle.jpg (53KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
goodvibrationssingle.jpg
53KB, 500x500px
Has anything come even close to this? I feel like despite some creative popular music, none of it has been as boundary-pushing or innovative as this.
>>
The answer is no.
>>
Any of the good songs on Pet Sounds were better. I never got the hype
>>
>>73856628
The songs on Pet Sounds were nowhere near as
1. harmonically creative
2. formally creative
3. put together as intricately

Pet Sounds is revolutionary but Good Vibrations subverted so many pop tropes
>>73856610
sounds pretty meh
>>
>>73856647
>harmonically creative

now this must be a joke
>>
>>73856696
The way it modulates between the verses, chorus, bridge, etc. is very creative.

Granted it's more a continuation of Pet Sounds in that sense
>>
>>73856715
Brian Wilson is not in a good place mentally
>>
Surf's Up is better.
>>
>>73856717
But Pet Sounds is filled with way more interesting harmonies
>>
>>73856775
see I was specific with why Good Vibrations is impressive, because of how it all transitions so fluidly despite constantly changing key

then you just say
>But Pet Sounds is filled with way more interesting harmonies
and expect to be taken seriously?
>>73856782
I mean just because he really liked it doesn't make it good

Handel was loved by Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and 90% of his output is trash
>>
>>73856584
Are there any boundaries left to push?
>>
>>73856846
xus don't be a poseur Handel wrote great operas and Concerto Grossi but that's it

and even the operas are iffy
>>
The Beach Boys were the culmination of music and the art has been dead ever since.
>>
>>73856584
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU16VsOIjL4
>>
>>73856584
People who made a point of hating dadrock don't know what they're missing out on.
>>
>>73856986
*make a point of hating dadrock
>>
https://youtu.be/GYBjOywJwLI?t=274

IT'S AN EDIT RECORD
>>
>>73856584
Childhood is thinking Good Vibrations is The Beach Boys at their psychedelic best.

Adulthood is realizing that Cabin Essence is a much better song all around.
>>
>>73856584
>an edit track as the best pop song
>patched up miscellaneous pieces from scrapped ideas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAGbVoG6VqQ

thats the best, i wanna sing this to my sweetheart no lie
>>
>>73857123
didnt someone make a thread about this kek such a strange interview
>>
File: aha.jpg (185KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
aha.jpg
185KB, 1000x750px
>>73857123
"i'd like to have a nickel for every joint he smoked trying to figure out how i got the be my baby sound"

that whole section on him and brian is pure KEK.
>>
>>73856584
Why is this song referenced to as the most important song ever?
>>
>>73858992
Because it is, Mike
>>
>>73858992
Because it's compositionally extremely elaborate, featuring multiple sections of varying dynamics and instrumentation, while still formally linking them together in an aesthetically pleasing pop manner

Nothing by The Beatles, Zappa, etc. compared to the complexity of it in Rock music.
>>
>>73859025
>compositionally extremely elaborate
>complex
lol I've played disco songs more complex than Good Vibrations. It's a great song, but it's not complex at all. Instrumentally it's really easy to learn, it's got easy chord changes and a simple melody, although the vocal parts aren't that easy because the notes during some parts are a bit hard to reach unless you've got a voice like Brian or Carl.
>>
>>73856584
It's a pop milestone that will never be topped.
>>
>>73860117
the vocals aren't that hard, especially compared to most other beach boys songs

the arrangement and production are definitely different, plus it was the first song where brian utilized that "modular approach" to recording/production he would attempt to bring to smile

kind of like william burroughs "cut up" technique but with sounds instead of music

van dyke parks likened it to (at least being inspired by) musique concrete
>>
>>73856584
I doubt it. A perfect pop song.

But when you think about it, $50,000 went into its making so it makes sense that it's perfect
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.