[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what age did you finally read his long-form writing and realize

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: robertchristgau_af.jpg (31KB, 473x282px) Image search: [Google]
robertchristgau_af.jpg
31KB, 473x282px
At what age did you finally read his long-form writing and realize Robert Christgau's boilerplate reviews were an expedient way for him to update consumers in the pre-Internet age, not the core of his talent? At what age did you realize that his long-form reviews and reflections constitute one of the greatest legacies in rock music journalism? At what age did you realize that the memification of this talent was due to a poorly designed archival website and not the substance of his craft?

At what age did you apologize to Robert Christgau for being an impatient millennial?
>>
I actually read something he wrote for the first time yesterday and was impressed. Dude can write and makes sure he actually knows what he's talking about.
>>
christgau has shit taste you stupid drones
>>
Prog and metal fags FEAR the Christgau
>>
>>73832297
hes openly said he doesnt like metal or anything aggressive because if reminds him of his bullies. its no surprise why this board likes him so much.
>>
>>73832234

Christgau's a twat. If you need someone to tell you how to think and what to like then you are beyond help, OP
>>
File: 1495493930883.gif (2MB, 580x433px) Image search: [Google]
1495493930883.gif
2MB, 580x433px
>>73832234
>rock music journalism
>>
boo fucking hoo
>>
>thinking that Christgau himself even cares if you agree with his taste
>being such a product of the ADD p4k x/10 world that you can't understand how someone writing about rock music in a descriptive and historical sense like a jazz or classical critic is valuable, even if his letter grades are disagreeable with your own take

again, impatient millennials soiling the legacy of one of the greatest writing talents music journalism will ever have
>>
>>73832234
Does he even know what a second inversion let alone in which cases one would use it?
>>
>>73832508
>does he even know this thing i learned in high school band? I BET NOT!
>>
>>73832337
This, so hard.
Literally the only consistently good musical criticism/analysis comes out of academic circles.
Anally retentive nerds analysing something with the aim of describing why/how it functions as a composition > People with no music theory or musical ability haphazardly describing surface level characteristics of the music or only engaging with the political/social place a record holds
>>
>>73832679
>Anally retentive nerds analysing something with the aim of describing why/how it functions as a composition > People with no music theory or musical ability haphazardly describing surface level characteristics of the music or only engaging with the political/social place a record holds

We musicians have to depend on these self-indulged pricks to survive, let that sink in.
>>
>>73832825
only because you've decided to hitch your horse to the worst genre of music flopping around out of water right now. if you made hip hop or electronic, you could play shows that were popular enough to support you. if you played jazz or classical, you could get support from government grants and fellowships or academia. because you've decided to guzzle beer and sloppily play a racket-making outmoded instrument in front of 50 year old biker women who wanna flash their tits, you've gotten what you deserve - poverty. but don't worry, i'm sure with enough groveling your dad will let you work at his hedge fund
>>
>>73832825
It's kind of disgusting alright. There are better ways of finding out about new music than pop critics, but they're by far the mainstream way people who're listening to more than just top 40 music do it.
>>
>>73832975
no, algorithms are. you people rebelled so hard against the people trying to market you with words that now you're left with computers matching your tempo and melodies to other automatons. good luck ever making anything unique and seeing it get played in auto-generated Spotify playlists or Pandora radio stations.
>>
Christgau was easily the most informed and knowledgeable pop/ rock critic of the 70s and 80s. He understood pop and rock on a fundamental level that few non-musicians ever would. He's been out of touch and irrelevant for a long time however
>>
>>73832895
Who said I played rock? I'm talking about music critics in general.

>>73832975
>It's kind of disgusting alright.
You have no idea. All of these people know each other, they may as well be fucking each other, some of them probably are.

The entire music press circle is one big gangbang between a handful of people who live in New York and LA, but oh no, you can't be mean to them because they are all so extremely petty and self-absorbed and fawn over their own image more than any musician does, so we play dumb.
>>
good pieces?
>>
>>73833438
https://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/rock/lennon-81.php
>>
Why should I read his reviews?

I can listen to something and know if I like it or resonates with me, so why do I need someone to tell me if its "good" or not?
>>
>>73833113
>Christgau was easily the most informed and knowledgeable pop/ rock critic of the 70s and 80s

Wow, that's really not saying much for rock critics.....no one really took him all that seriously until the internet/wikipedia made his write ups more accessible to commoners.
>>
>>73833687
t. millennial
>>
>>73833624
>Why should I read his reviews?
If you have a penchant for wasting your personal time.

>why do I need someone to tell me if its "good" or not?
You don't.
>>
>>73833712

I'm 46.
>>
>>73833720
Cool, thanks boss.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.