[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why do you guys think 'music' is so conceptually brain-dead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: reality.png (80KB, 631x623px) Image search: [Google]
reality.png
80KB, 631x623px
why do you guys think 'music' is so conceptually brain-dead compared to literature and fine art?
>>
>>73825310
its harder to get noticed with literature. so you only get the "good" stuff
>>
I'm in the minority but for me music is the most transcendental and powerful artistic medium. I'm a complete autist for literature and gaming (Shut up) but music is everything. Absolutely everything.
>>
>>73825340
This. People who don't think music can be incredibly powerful probably shouldn't be listening to it in the first place.
>>
>>73825310

Listen to some middle eastern classical/folk music, particularly Turkish, and then tell me that's it's conceptually 'braindead'. It was a high art form in the Ottoman Court and took a lot of dedication and learning. Turkish classical instruments are difficult to master and as well as they, Ottoman music typically contains difficult time signatures [e.g. 10/8], rhythms and quartertones and is structured around the makam system [scalar modes], of which there are over 500.
>>
>>73825310
>why do you guys think 'music' is so conceptually brain-dead compared to literature and fine art?
t. 15 year old mallgoth lefty/pol/ browser
>>
>>73825340
'transcendental and powerful', 'everything'. fascist / mystic / religious language, appeal to the irrational. exactly what i'm saying is lacking in music - the conceptual, enlightenment, rational.

>>73825320
true, but shouldn't the market or some mechanism reveal the 'conceptual' bests of music? kanye and beyonce and whoever are painted as revolutionary and representing some sort of imagined minority/other, but they're just performance-capitalists who only give a pittance / 'inspiration' to their communities, not actual support for revolutionary/left wing action and in fact actively undermine it in their lyrics. john cage etc obviously were a brief fluorescence of conceptual thought in music but it was killed off by virtuosity in the institutions (but continues in art schools)

>>73825386
hello pal, welcome to the 21st century :) folk is probably the epitome of conceptually braindead music (much as I like it). in the west, on guitars for instance, it is music played by rednecks who don't even understand the numero-cosmological principles which rameau, pythagoras & others created for it :) instead, we might say it's full of content :)

re Ottoman court music, you're right, it's even richer :) but it's a performance of a historical tradition, not bringing into question the musical language the performer chooses to revive. can people empirically explain the reasons why a given maqam should have a fixed emotional implication aside from tradition & nurture? in fact Turkish music is probably closer to the western middle ages (not a bad thing!) in thought than the contemporary conceptualism I'm talking about :) maybe Southeast Asian traditions like Gamelan or the fake chant Kejak even begin to appraoch the problems I'm talking about
>>
>>73825310
All forms of art/entertainment are conceptually brain-dead nowadays, I work in a publishing house and we're searching like crazy for writers with huge internet fanbase to publish their work asap for the cash, crazy fans will buy anything, also all literary awards are rigged

The same happens with "fine art", you only get big if you know somebody, the target audience is more "sophisticated" of course, so you need to make it look that way, in terms of pleb art, the last great thing that happened worldwide was that exhibition of real dissected human bodies, no originality, only quirkiness
>>
>>73825498
You're crazy if you think you will find anything that can cause a remotely revolutionary thought on itunes, tidal or any other big enough platform able to reach that many people, big names just play it safe, no change, keep the machine working and clean, get your paycheck and come again next year until people don't care about you anymore
>>
>>73825504
you're probably the most right of the replies in this thread, obviously the world art market is more dominated by shit than ever. but what about people like Samson Young who do interesting work but are forced to do it in an art context because music people are plebs? is it just because the art world is run still by the aristocracy? :)

>>73825554
true
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-HQR2-s1J4
>>
>>73825595
Only the wealthy can afford fine art so it has to look more unique and difficult to get to compensate the ridiculous amounts they pay for it, also gives the appearance that they're investing in culture, makes them look good in the eyes of society
>>
>>73825498
>true, but shouldn't the market or some mechanism reveal the 'conceptual' bests of music?

>true, but shouldn't the market or some mechanism reveal the 'conceptual' bests of music?

In ME instrumental music it's subtle. There are no lyrics, so the makams, tetrachords and rhythms represent certain emotions, thought processes, dedications, messages etc. These days people are used to having their symbolism handed to them on a plate, whereas with older styles the music literally did the talking.
>>
Music is certainly "powerful" but isnt quite as intellectually stimulating as literature. Its simply harder to pack in important story telling devices and themes into a 3-6 minute track that ALSO has to be muscially innovative, which is way more important than being intellectually stimulating
>>
If you cannot explain the key development of John Cage vs Schonberg please do not reply below this line :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

>>73825728
c o n t e n t within a vernacular language, not critical thinking :) it's true tho the musical language used to be more codified
>>
Alright guys pack it up. Time to stop listening to music, we're such fucking idiots and OP is right!
>>
>>73825990
Yeah I'm such a Fascist. Wish someone would bash my fash head in for not being rational or enlightened enough.
>>
in music often the primary motivation is emotional, thus any rational discourse regarding it becomes descriptive and retrospective
in this way music is actually quite well understood compared to some other art forms, its emotional map is well studied compared to say, painting

you can obviously make up some shit to explain why you did something (like humans always do) but ultimately all human decisions have a right brain / unconscious root, and are necessarily mysterious
>>
File: Ex 05a.jpg (475KB, 1153x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Ex 05a.jpg
475KB, 1153x1600px
why do underage brainlets that hardly listen to erudite music always make stupid shitposts like this?
>>
>>73825320
>its harder to get noticed with literature

NOT AT FUCKING ALL, THIS IS FARTHER OF THE TRUTH AS CAN BE
>>
>>73825310
It's a passive art, listening to music is almost always a passive experience. I feel like my brain dies a little every time I listen to music.
>>
File: IMG_1597.jpg (6KB, 147x147px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1597.jpg
6KB, 147x147px
>>73825498
Really makes you think
>>
>>73830323
perception is never a passive process
>>
>>73830323
Now that's a real /mu/tant
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.