[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"I think the situation now is a lot like it was in '89

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 19

File: Dave Grohl.jpg (135KB, 618x621px) Image search: [Google]
Dave Grohl.jpg
135KB, 618x621px
"I think the situation now is a lot like it was in '89 to '91 right before Nirvana broke. Music back then was just a lot of mindless pop and dance tunes, but nothing that actually spoke to how the kids were feeling. I'm confident that good music will make a comeback. It happened before and it can happen again."
>>
>>73825297
rock is mindless drivel for the kids
>>
>>73825297
conservatism is da neu countah culcha
>>
>>73825305
what's not
>>
>>73825297
so he admits. foo fighters are shit
thx dave
>>
>>73825297
>mindless pop and dance tunes

hmmmm
>>
>>73825321
classical
>>
It's another case of "Old man forgets that there exists music outside of Top 40".
>>
Dave confirmed for writing every ''electronic is not real music'' comment on YouTube.
>>
>>73825342
He totally loves that "DJ Fuckhead" video from that mouthbreather Rollins.
>>
>>73825342
somehow i always knew it was him
>>
>>73825297
I love Grohl, but grunge didn't come out of thin air. Grunge culture was really just an offshoot of pre-existing alternative rock scenes. Madchester, for example, predates grunge by a good bit. Grunge was just bleaker and heavier.
>>
>>73825388
I really wish we had something like Madchester in the states during the 90s. So fun, so positive and Americans would have loved the hedonism of it all. Fuck Kurt man.
>>
>>73825414
madchester wouldn't really work in a nation of jocks and high school shooters
>>
>>73825297
When did he say that? Link?
>>
Grunge was "popular music"

It was at some point "pop". What Grohl really means is a counterculture to popular music. And its the same since the beginning. Classic blues, metal and classical music. Duh.

Fuck man, hes so dumb.
>>
>>73825414
I was born in '98, would have missed it regardless. Feels bad, man. Not only did Madchester set alternative rock in motion, but the acid house/rave culture which hugely influenced electronic music. I'm a bleepsfag personally, so I would've loved to have seen it for myself.
>>
>>73825433
I can dream.
>>
>>73825466
Why is it that during music discussion, young people always state what year they were born in? Nobody cares you mong
>>
>>73825525
I was just saying that it didn't matter to me if the US had gotten their own Madchester, since I couldn't have experienced it.
Calm your tits.
>>
>>73825525
...not even anon, but wtf??
>>
>>73825297
Great music exists, you've just gotta look for it
>>
>>73825414
America and Europe had pretty different social climates in the early 90s, there's a reason grunge took off here and not Britpop and vice versa.
>>
lyl Foo Fighters are music for 40 year old businessmen to listen to while working out on the treadmill.
>>
>>73825539
I wouldn't have been able to experience it anyway either but I don't go around yelling what year I was born in
>>
>>73825366
triggered
>>
i don't give a fuck, whatever new shit comes out is gonna suck because i'm already old thanks to obongo
>>
>>73825700
Lighten up, dude.
>>
FF were good for the first two albums only, after that they just became generic mallrock.
>>
>>73825689
That and 15 year-olds who have wheel taste in music.
>>
i wish he just died
>>
>>73825861
that's not very nice, brah
>>
File: 1442191811906.jpg (58KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1442191811906.jpg
58KB, 1024x768px
>>73825297
https://youtu.be/0TqnFVfDJTM?t=26s
>>
>>73825708
Why dude? That rant was so moronic.
>>
>>73825884
>le Bonham triplet man
fuck off
>>
fucking heck what's his problem

can't he see that kids don't follow chart trends now with the availability provided by the internet? He just can't find good music because he's lazy and too rich to waste time with it.
>>
>>73825297
>Music back then was just a lot of mindless pop and dance tunes
>in '89 to '91

Rock and metal was still much larger back then in mainstream than it is today.
>>
>mindless pop and dance tunes

hmm yes this really gets the neurons firing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBjQ9tuuTJQ
>>
>>73825950
Besides, the 1989-91 period he's talking about had lots of interesting, diverse stuff going on, actually more interesting than post-91 when the rock world became a monoculture of faggots in flannel shirts.
>>
>>73825968
What's wrong with The Pretender? Or is there some underlying double meaning to your post?
>>
>>73825297
It can happen again but not with foo fighters
>>
File: 1404629542164.jpg (101KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1404629542164.jpg
101KB, 600x800px
>>73825968
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctScBtvmYh8
>>
Dave said that he considered Lorde one of the best artists out today.

What.
>>
So in other words, the way to save music is with...another Foo Fighters album! That's what we all need!
>>
>>73825982
Its dumb
>>
>>73826014
she's got appeal because she's an autistic, passionate, kiwi who don't need no man and just loves to boogie as best as white gurrrrls can
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3urw1bnEMM
>>
>>73826007
Oh man if I saw this I would have flipped out even if he was as rusty as that video.
>>
>>73826048
is he really that rusty though?
>>
>>73826053
Enough for a drummer to notice, he was going literary nowhere with that solo it was just wank.
>>
>>73826014
Kek
that's worse than krist giving lil wayne props
>>
>>73825700
>>
>>73826053
>those triplets on the snare at 40 seconds in
yeah no, the fills are neat, but get it wasn't all that crisp, little man
>>73826070
I mean, it kinda seemed like that was the point
>>
after seeing their performance at Glastonbury it's pretty obvious that they're all just a bunch of outdated dad-rockers. They spent so much of the performance just playing the old basic rock riffs in between actual songs and they all had fucking massive solos.

Nobody should be fucking playing solos anymore. It's just an opportunity for a musician to ego-trip and take a chunk out of the song for themselves. They're essentially wanking off into the audiences mouth. Guitar solos hardly ever add anything to the song, they just disrupt the entire flow of it.

Rock is dead and it should be.
>>
>>73825332
I beg to fucking differ
>>
Knock it off Dave, you fat 46 year old zillionaire. You're not a 19 year old kid playing in a garage in Seattle anymore.
>>
>>73826007
I feel like the only point of a Foo Fighters performance is like those Djent bands now where only music students would really get what's going on and feel like they like it. It's hardly music for the public now, it's outdated.
>>
>>73826091
All the Foo Fighters are is just Grohl living out his stupid rockstar fantasy. No substance.
>>
>>73826039
I'll give her props for being a 16 yr old setting a standard for todays shit mainstream pop music but the bitchs career is going nowhere. Just another one trick pony waiting to be phased out
>>
>>73826130
>16 yr old
she's 20
>>
>>73826091
Don't you have a Kanye thread to post in or something?
>>
>>73826159
16 when she released her debut I believe. Or just a little older maybe 17.
>>
>>73826206
ahh then yeah you'd be right then, although I don't agree with the phasing out, but that might just be my waifuism blurring my vision.
>>
>>73826159
anon was talking about her debut...
>>
File: reviewbrah and lorde.png (340KB, 593x381px) Image search: [Google]
reviewbrah and lorde.png
340KB, 593x381px
>>73826039
>Lorde
I love her cousin's food review channel.
>>
>>73826243
F

#prayforManchester
>>
>>73826266
But he's not dead.
>>
>>73826197
>what is devil in a new dress
>>
https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=1989&genre_include=1&include_child_genres=1&genres=metal&include_child_genres_chk=1&include=both&origin_countries=&limit=none&countries=

All this amazing music from 1989, same for 1990 and 1991

Good music was always available if you paid attention and looked for it.
You can check the same chart without the metal tag if youre not a metalfag.
>>
>>73826275
apparently he tossed a non-halal mcchicken at the attackers forcing them to suicide earlier
>>
File: 565677.jpg (33KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
565677.jpg
33KB, 500x333px
>>73826091
>Rock is dead and it should be
>>
>>73825297
God, this guy sucks ass
le edgy raspy vocals and generic rock
>>
>>73826091
>Nobody should be fucking playing solos anymore. It's just an opportunity for a musician to ego-trip and take a chunk out of the song for themselves. They're essentially wanking off into the audiences mouth. Guitar solos hardly ever add anything to the song, they just disrupt the entire flow of it.
To be fair, Christgau was complaining about this 30+ years ago.
>>
>>73826387
That was the point. You had a wide range of glam rock, alternative, alternametal, thrash, and everything else competing for the charts in 1989-91 as opposed to the grunge monoculture after 1991.
>>
>>73826243
still trying to figure out reviewbrahs endgame
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (59KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
59KB, 1280x720px
>>73826929
He has an autistic passion for fast food. Th-There's nothing else t-to it...
>>
File: 1498239773909.png (289KB, 312x400px) Image search: [Google]
1498239773909.png
289KB, 312x400px
>>73826949
hmmm.....
>>
>>73826485
No I mean that whole macho stadium metal thing is outdated and stale as fuck, this isn't 1985.
>>
>I think the situation now is a lot like it was in '89 to '91 right before Nirvana broke. Music back then was just a lot of mindless pop and dance tunes, but nothing that actually spoke to how the kids were feeling. I'm confident that good music will make a comeback. It happened before and it can happen again.
So... he's saying that Foo Fighters don't make good music? I'm glad we can agree on one thing.

Their first album was pretty good though, to be fair.
>>
>>73826993
Well, they're old faggots who grew up in that time. Guitar music isn't outdated, just that particular approach to it. I mean, if some 25 year olds of today are playing guitar music, it logically isn't going to sound like pastiche AC/DC since their influences and cultural background are totally different.
>>
>>73827033
their cultural background is pokemon and crazy frog
>>
>>73826794
As much as we shit on this guy, maybe he was onto sometime all along.
>>
>>73827057
>And because I'd heard a lot of jazz, I remained unimpressed with the cult of the guitar solo. So I came to believe that the essence of popular music lay in momentum and good song form.
>>
>>73827033
Bands were already moving away from that stadium metal sound in the 90s, take a band like Korn...they didn't play solos at all.
>>
>>73827097
Most grunge bands still did that shit.
>>
>>73825297
I hate this guy, there's something seriously wrong with a guy who's exterior is 100% nice.

He sells that meme too hard, he must have a very high opinion of himself, he's probably a massive fucking dick in reality.
>>
>>73827148
Most of them had been playing in bands since the 80s though, guys like Manson and Jonathan Davis were a little younger, they were born in the 70s instead of the 60s, their approach was a little more modern and not as rooted in that dadrock AOR metal sound.
>>
>>73827149
He's actually a control-freak narcissistic cunt behind closed doors.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/ex-foo_fighters_drummer_dave_grohl_is_a_bully_who_creatively_raped_me.html

>inb4 >UG
>>
>>73827181
Right. Trent Reznor was born in 1965, he always talks about wanting to take the listener on a journey, which is exactly what the AOR of his childhood did.
>>
>>73826091
You remind me of my cousin who saw Frank Zappa in the early 80s and the audience were all redneck football jock types who ate up his generic shitty blues rock solos like Tasty Kakes. When he wanted to play a classical piece, they started booing so he just shrugged and went back to doing blues rock noodling.
>>
>>73827307
Yeah well, it was acceptable back then, that shit is totally antiquated now, nobody needs an Angus Young or an Eddie Van Halen in 2017.
>>
>>73826091
Check out Purling Hiss's first EP.
The problem is not "solos", the problem is that the vast majority of bands that use them pretty much imitate jimmi hendrix and led zep.
>>
>>73827345
Uh huh. That Hendrix blues rock shit actually became out of date with Van Halen.
>>
>>73826814
This is still retarded to say, there was always good underground music, just because normiefaggots were grunge obsessed doesn't mean other music didn't happen

the 90s are the golden age of extreme metal
>>
>>73827384
Funny because I see more Hendrix than EVH imitators out there even though in theory the former's sound is older and more outdated.
>>
>>73827462
There's fewer EVH imitators because of a stigma surrounding that 80s shredder sound. People associate it with bands that are better off not being mentioned.
>>
What could be the future of guitar solos? Technical wankery is dead and irrelevant, where can it go from here? I think the more melodic/reverb-y/atmospheric stuff like Robin Guthrie and The Edge could fill the void.
>>
File: lmao.jpg (92KB, 598x566px) Image search: [Google]
lmao.jpg
92KB, 598x566px
>>73825332

*jazz

fixed that 4 u
>>
I mean, really. That blues/wah-wah pedal sound was mind-blowing in 1969, today it's just tired.
>>
>>73827552
>today it's just tired
you can thank Tom Morello and Jack White for killing the wah wah shit
>>
>>73827224
That's the least surprising thing I've ever heard.

He's way too calculating to be a nice person, everything he does when in the limelight is so gross, like "look at me, look how down to earth and real I am with all of you"
>>
>>73827567
Yeah well, it was inevitable. Actually, even the bands like Pearl Jam were taking guitar music a step backwards, they turned the clock back soundwise to Led Zeppelin's day before Van Halen happened.
>>
That situation was 4-6 years ago, when Katy Perry and LMFAO were dominating the charts. We're in the grunge phase now. For better or worse, Lorde is our Nirvana, the person everyone in the industry wants to be, and "Closer" is what's speaking to the kids.
>>
>>73827567
Yes. Tom Morello is a 70s babby which is why he plays those Zep-style funk rock riffs but his solos are totally unlike anything from the 70s.
>>
it's funny because my sister saw Samantha Fish and there was just old graying faggots in the audience.
>>
Neat, Dave finally acknowledges that FF are shit.
>>
I wish they'd just quit after The Color and the Shape.
>>
>>73827958
I completely agree.
>>
Like I mean, rock-and-roll is supposed to be dangerous and offend parents. That kind of rules out Dave Grohl by definition.
>>
Disagree. They have a knack of creating great rock songs that not only connect with Rock/Metal lovers but also the casual fan. You have to be pretty talented to do that.

They cater for everyone and do it bloody well. If your into the heavy stuff then you can listen to Wasting Light and "Foo Fighters", if your more into cleaner chilled stuff then there's In Your Honor disc 2 and Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace. A brilliant band to see live too.

I want singers who produce great music, and live performances. I couldn't care less what they're like. This is a assumption but I would guess you'd like singers to be like Axl Rose?

Thankfully Dave Grohl isn't like him.
>>
lyl I wish Kurt Cobain was alive to see what a shitty buttrocker Dave's become
>>
Foo Fighters is boring radio rock. It's funny how the same people who say that Foo Fighters are "true rock band, keeping the genre alive" say something like Nickelback is terrible when they're pretty much the same safe, bland radio rock.

While were at it, Jack White/White Stripes too. He has never done anything original.
>>
>>73825321
vaporwave
>>
Dave took Cobain's gift for pop melodies but lacked the same wit, sarcasm, irony, or expressive ability. The first two LPs were inventive in parts. After ‘Stacked Actors’ it all went to Tom Petty town. There’s not enough ‘fucked up’ to counter the saccharine elements.
>>
>>73828061
>Jack White/White Stripes too
you're trying too hard now
>>
File: 200_s.gif (40KB, 256x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
40KB, 256x200px
>when dave starts talkin in the interview n you cringe internally cus u know its gonna b some pleb tier shit
>>
>>73828061
I'm so tired of Grohl and Jack White, with Joe Bonamassa bringing up the rear.
>>
Dave Grohl is the Avril Lavigne of rock music

He should never open his fucking mouth again
>>
>>73825297
whatever revolution the kids will cling to, it wont be in the form of rock music. rock is dead.
>>
>>73828127
I can sort of understand this sentiment, but I just can't agree.

I know Grohl (as well as White and Bonamassa) seem to get all of the attention lately, but who else out there is carrying the rock and roll torch these days? These three guys are well-known outside the music-obsessive community, and together are doing a pretty darn good job at keeping good old fashioned rock sounds alive.

Grohl is an excellent musician and has a real knack for writing instantly memorable hooks into his songs in the same vein as any number of classic rock artists. In 30-40 years, people will listen to Grohl's various projects just as we listen to Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, or AC/DC (just to throw a few names out there) today.

I realize it's hard to believe given the cynical world we live in, but occasionally people genuinely deserve the "exposure" because they're genuinely great at what they do
>>
>>73825297
>sonic youth
>swans
>dinosaur jr.
>pixies
>fugazi
>slint
>nick cave
>Music back then was just a lot of mindless pop and dance tunes
>>
>>73828158
As Ice Cube put it, "Rock and roll is an ideal, not just some guy holding an electric guitar."

Meaning you can be a "rock star" without ever looking like Judas Priest. Kanye is as much of a "rock star" as the Rolling Stones and he's never touched a guitar.
>>
Now honestly, if Dave _weren't_ part of Nirvana, he'd be working at Burger King now.
>>
>>73828231
While Grohl's connection to Nirvana got him in the door, that's not the reason for the success of the Foos.

Like it or not, a lot of people really enjoy the band. You don't continue to sell out arenas almost 20 years after the end of Nirvana because people are nostalgic for your old band - especially when you play zero music from that old band.
>>
I was less than impressed with Them Crooked Vultures. On paper, it sounded great. On record, not so much.
>>
>>73828179
>ho else out there is carrying the rock and roll torch these days? These three guys are well-known outside the music-obsessive community, and together are doing a pretty darn good job at keeping good old fashioned rock sounds alive.
They aren't """carrying"""" anything, you fucking moron.

All of these old money hungry hacks who were once in a good band, or once put something decent out... are killing rock music.

Grohl is about as relevant and talented as Avril Lavigine, you fucking sausage
>>
>>73828179
> In 30-40 years, people will listen to Grohl's various projects just as we listen to Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, or AC/DC (just to throw a few names out there) today.
>Grohl is an excellent musician and has a real knack for writing instantly memorable hooks
HAHahahaahaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhha
>>
>>73828257
Sadly, having connections can and does get you places you didn't earn.
>>
>>73828301
Nirvana, sure. I just don't see The Foo Fighters as comparable to any of the bands >>73828179 listed, and things like Probot and Them Crooked Vultures are one-offs. What am I missing that he's in a league with Led Zeppelin, other than perhaps publicity wise?
>>
>>73828212
>As Ice Cube put it, "Rock and roll is an ideal, not just some guy holding an electric guitar."
true, but most rock musicians don't think this way, and critics are just as bad
>>
>>73828257
The Foo Fighters wouldn't sell out arenas without the cult of personality built around Dave because of Nirvanas success

You're stupid and know nothing

He was Nirvanas 6th drummer, he's the luckiest musician alive probably
>>
>>73828316
He's not publicity wise either.
He didn't even do a lot of the drumming on Nirvana records anyway.
>>
I didn't mean to imply that Grohl/Foo Fighters are in the same league musically as the other bands I listed (that could be debated at length I think). The point I intended to make was that Grohl is an extremely rare bird these days: a musician who is both committed to working with the sounds of the golden age of rock in the 70s-80s AND is well-known (and liked) by the "mainstream". I'm well-aware that there are scores of other rock acts who may be better musically and even more "authentic" in terms of their sound (and I'm a big fan of many of them), but they are all fairly obscure and nowhere near the radar of the average mainstream music consumer.

At an event like the Grammys, which has come to be dominated by synthesized, autotuned, emo-warbling "Idol"-style crap, who else these days other than Grohl has the recognition and influence to come in and crash the party by kicking everyone's ass with some nice, loud rock? He may be "overexposed" as some have asserted, but something is better than nothing when it comes to keeping rock from slipping irretrievably out of the consciousness of the mainstream music listener.
>>
>>73828317
>true, but most rock musicians don't think this way, and critics are just as bad
Then again, here's where I will give Christgau credit where it's due, he believes rock-and-roll doesn't have to be a fixed format, he bandwagoned disco in the 70s because he thought it preserved the spirit of rock-and-roll better than, like, Kansas or Rush or some AOR wankery of that era.
>>
I think he rode into the start of his career on Nirvana's popularity. Cobain's suicide didn't hurt that career any. But he's stuck around because people like what he brings to the table. I'm not a particular fan, and I find the Foo Fighters' music rather annoying... but if he completely sucked he'd have faded away into obscurity and would -only- be remembered as being a member of Nirvana. That hasn't happened, so obviously he has something going for him. I don't have to listen to his music so I don't. The same way I avoid Justin Bieber and most anything else that aggravates me. It's hardly the end of the world that someone else is becoming successful.
>>
I mean, what makes Nicki Minaj not a "rock star"? She's edgy, lewd, and offends parents.

Taylor Swift however scares nobody, she's as bland and white bread as it gets.
>>
>>73828347
You're fucking wrong though. You're obviously a Grohl fan, but you shouldn't be, because he's fucking garbage and everything wrong with Rock music.

>Grohl is an extremely rare bird these days: a musician who is both committed to working with the sounds of the golden age of rock in the 70s-80s AND is well-known (and liked)
He's not committed to anything other than money, you dumb fuck.

>nowhere near the radar of the average mainstream music consumer.
Grohl is liked because he was in Nirvana. That is it.

>ass with some nice, loud rock?
Again, see above. He's garbage. If anything, he drives people further away from Rock music because they think he is all it has to offer.

>t something is better than nothing when it comes to keeping rock from slipping irretrievably out of the consciousness of the mainstream music listener.
The reason there isn't a next big thing, is because these old hacks refused to move. They refused to go into retirement. Instead they released 60 albums of absolute drivel, over and over...

You have no idea what you're talking about
>>
>>73828423
Nicki is the definition of a beautiful black woman, of course it'll offend parents.
>>
>>73828392
> what he brings to the table
He writes accessible pop trash. If he had wrote these songs before Nirvana fame, he'd be working in Burger King right now, as someone else mentioned.

Because he had fame already, he just started pumping out mediocre trash and whaddya know? Some people like it.

You can put ANYTHING in a shop window, and people will buy it... providing enough people walk past it.
>>
Paul McCartney thought enough of him to collaborate on a song recently. I thought that would be enough to garner him some street cred around the Beatles fan club.....I mean, /mu/? Just kidding, people.

Seriously though, I'm a fan of most things he's accomplished in his music career, but he is getting a bit overexposed. With that being said, there's obviously a demand for his presence regardless of anyone's thoughts to the contrary, and he's taking it while he can get it.....we all would, and anyone who says they wouldn't is lying.

My opinion is, at least he writes his own stuff, and who else out there is trying as hard as he is to keep rock music in the forefront of everyone's mind these days? The last time I saw Foo Fighters live the audience had everyone from ages 10 to 70, and he seems to be a genuine, hard working kind of guy. That's cool in my book, and I'd rather my kids be listening to his stuff than the autotuned, "my parents bought me a music video for my birthday" crap that passes as pop music these days.
>>
File: 1416671529201.png (120KB, 623x623px) Image search: [Google]
1416671529201.png
120KB, 623x623px
>>73828290
>Grohl is about as relevant and talented as Avril Lavigine
>>
>>73826070
are you trying to say there are drum solos that go anywhere and aren't wank

heh

cute
>>
>>73828464
>there's obviously a demand for his presence regardless of anyone's thoughts to the contrary,
No there isn't

and he's taking it while he can get it.....we all would, and anyone who says they wouldn't is lying.
No we all wouldn't, YOU would, you stupid cunt.
>>
>>73828463
Seriously, did you know that Def Leppard sold a lot more records than actually talented 80s groups like Sonic Youth and the Pixies? Everyone in the 90s namechecked them as an influence, literally nobody said that Def Leppard made them want to pick up a guitar.
>>
>>73828482
Well of course you don't know shit about it, you don't play, you just lowercase linesplit like an effeminate weeb.
>>
>>73828481
That's not even bait. Dave Grohl really is the Avril Lavigne of rock music.

He has the same persona and everything
>>
>>73828464
Paul McCartney is a dinosaur, brah. That doesn't mean anything.
>>
Talented musician and all, but that guy pretty much ruined the Lemmy documentary for me. With all of Grohl's ass-kissing and name-dropping, poor Lemmy could barely get a word in edgewise.
>>
Not saying Dave's a bad guy or untalented BUT his own music tastes are extremely limited and plebian, he seems to only like entry level dadrock like Motorhead and AC/DC.
>>
His stage banter at least has a lot of four letter words, so he hasn't completely forgotten how to be a rock star, I give him that much.
>>
>>73828585
He does that on purpose for plebs like you who think "swear words" makes him bad ass or "authentic", lmao

Fuck off
>>
>>73828127
Ridiculous. Bonamassa, in particular, is a remarkable player. Who happens to have a very good manager.
>>
>>73828598
He makes garbage music
>>
Dave is the #1 rocker right now. Jack is #2. Rock would be sitting in a graveyard right now without these guys. Respect where it's due.
>>
>>73826070
That's every time Dave Grohl touches druns outside of a studio. If he doesn't have a producer there to keep his bullshit in line he just does some ADD child bullshit with little concept or respect for song structure
>>
>>73826096
Is there an argument you wanted to formulate?
>>
>>73828319
>cult of personality
>goofy airhead 6th drum machine in nirvana nothing but training wheels for artistic meta vision of genius kurt cobain

they got famous cus poppy rock songs + no message + fun friendly stoner college personas. the same people who found nirvana too edgy for wearing dresses and having thoughts on things are the ones who just looooove foo fighters
>>
File: homme thumb.gif (446KB, 240x225px) Image search: [Google]
homme thumb.gif
446KB, 240x225px
Is Josh Homme anybody else's waifu?
>>
>>73828615
Bait
>>
>>73828615
Oh you don't think rock is already six feet under? Is that fucking right?
>>
>>73828615
Mainstream rock is a rotting corpse that needs to be disposed of.
>>
He gets a permanent pass from me for Sound City. A lasting tribute to analog.
>>
You can clearly see his love of music and it was obvious that it carried over to his daughter when watching her react to Stevie Wonder during the Beatles tribute.

Jesus, you can't win for anything on this forum unless you are whatever indie folk faggot with an acoustic guitar.
>>
>>73826014
He called fucking Royal Blood the saviours of rock. I think Dave is a good drummer and the hate for him gets over exaggerated at times but he really is a turd.
>>
>>73828686
>Jesus, you can't win for anything on this forum unless you are whatever indie folk faggot with an acoustic guitar.
you need to go back
>>
Man...remember when Dave Grohl almost joined Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers?
Their appearance on SNL was sooooo good.
>>
>>73825297
I think the situation is different because people have means other than the radio or going out and buying a record for listening to music. If people don't want to listen to pop they can just go listen to something else. There isn't a necessity for a revolution or bringing back that old time rock n rawl.

Mainstream pop radio will always tap into the alternative trends to try and get crossover play though. It happened in the early-mid 10s when they started playing tons of Mumford & Sons and Lumineers. And now they're doing it again with electro-blue eyed soul bands like Imagine Dragons and X Ambassadors. If alt trends swing back to real rock then you will hear a couple real rock songs on pop radio again too.
>>
>>
>>73828690
Did he really say that about Royal Blood?
>>
>>73828686
.And Grohl seems like a damn nice guy to boot.
Jesus, you think that he'd get a pass from everyone on this lousy Beatles-obsessed board because of what he did with McCartney at the Sandy benefit (which was the best I'd ever seen McCartney in years; he was truly inspired and rocking)

Nothing wrong with Foo Fighters either. They make some of the best rock records around right now (and they are in damn short supply)
>>
>>73825297
Honestly we've already had an artist hit the mainstream that "speaks to what the kids are feeling," and its [spoiler]twenty one pilots[/spoiler] sure, they fucking suck, but so did Nirvana.
>>
FF and DG aren't exactly my cup of tea, but there's no denying that DG is a monster talent. Just to move from behind a drum kit to fronting a band, writing, singing and playing another instrument, is something you don't see every day. Yes, I know Don Henley and Phil Collins also did that. So it's not unheard of, but it is always remarkable I think.

But yeah, FF and DG's music doesn't move the needle for me. But I get what others might like about it. I kind of understand what folks might like about FF, Train, Maroon 5, or even Taylor Swift. There's just nothing about any of those acts that interests me.

It takes more than talent to make worthwhile music. And sometimes talent isn't a predictor of who will or won't make compelling music.
>>
>>73828724
he hypes them up quite a bit, as does jimmy page
>>
Nirvana are kind of bad. It's the image of Kurt Cobain that people like, not the music.
>>
>>73828690
I don't really like them but I think they're a good presence to have in mainstream rock. They're helping broaden the scope of the genre beyond just post-grunge and metalcore. But Jack White does what they do but better. And so do some of the bands that came after them like Highly Suspect.
>>
>>73828513
?

don't need to play drums to understand that drum solos are a meme

don't get so upset, i appreciate good drummers, they just shouldn't use their instrument to solo and bore a crowd for 5 minutes
>>
>>73828789
Are you stupid?
I don't like them that much, but there is no denying that they were huge even before the idiot killed himself.
>>
>>73827726
This has to be b8
>>
>>73825297
I am so fucking glad I'm not American.
>>
>>73828816
I didn't even mention his suicide, brush up on your reading comprehension please.
>>
>>73828866
You said that it's his image that people like, not his songs. Which you're wrong about.
>>
>>73828686
He's worthless. He's never made a good album. Without Kurt blowing his skull off, he'd be a nobody

>>73828734
>Nice guy
Yeah it's a persona for dumb fucks like you while he earns 30 million a year from you dumb fucks

>Nothing wrong with Foo Fighters either. They make some of the best rock records around right now (and they are in damn short supply)
You are delusional
>>
>>73828894
No, I'm correct.

You take a look at any hardcore Nirvana fan and I guarantee 90% of them model their own personality around Kurt.
>>
>>73828758
>Talent
BAIT

>Worthwhile music
>Foo fighters

Are paid shill in this thread or what? What the fuck is going on?
>>
>>73828841
Do you think we're infidels?
>>
File: Them Crooked Vultures.jpg (46KB, 250x248px) Image search: [Google]
Them Crooked Vultures.jpg
46KB, 250x248px
he's a good drummer
>>
>>73828908
You can say that for every famous band...Thing is, people back than liked the gritty, bleekness that Grunge/Nirvana offered because if the uninspired shit that was available, there is a reason they got big. Not because of kurt. Even if some pleb pretends to act like kurt, and only name drops Nevermind as their favorite album, they still like his songs.
>>
>>73828972
>there is a reason they got big
Yes, a trend was brewing in certain pockets of the country, which Market PR teams then exploited and made nationwide/worldwide.

Sort of the like the Fidget spinner craze just recently
>>
what if his band was called the food fighters?
>>
>>73828972
Yeah but they aren't very good
>>
>>73829013
>muh taste are patrician and they aren't good because i don't like them
k
>>
>>73828759
Jimmy Page is a dinosaur, brah. That proves nothing about the quality of RB.
>>
>>73829002
So like every music ever made in the last centuries?
>>
"If the books at the front door of a bookstore that has 600000+ unique books are like X, then books are like x"
>>
>>73828899
Well, then again Dave played in Scream and toured internationally before he was with Nirvana, so I can buy that he would have had a successful career regardless.
>>
>>73829057
Finally you admit it
>>
This thread is the first time anywhere I have heard anyone say anything negative about Dave Grohl. Maybe you haters should just stick with your Justin Bieber and Ariana Grande albums.
>>
>>73829080
Yes
>>73829098
Well yes. Pretty much. This is human nature. What do you think shop windows are for, moron?

>>73829099
No, he would have been working in Burger King

Instead he was Nirvana's 6th drummer and now he's worth 300 million
>>
>>73829117
Yea, I admit that you have shit taste. Srry for your loss, anon.
>>
>>73829123
BAIT
Even Cobain hated Grohl
>>
Grohl is a little overexposed but he's been in two of the most successful and critically acclaimed rock bands in the past 25 years, whether "overrated" or not.
>>
>>73829136
No, you're wrong. I'm mature enough to know that Nirvana are not very good, you see.
>>
Dave Grohl may have a lot of confidence and popularity as far as entertaining goes, but please, he is not a good drummer, he is not a good guitar player, he is not a good singer, and he is certainly not a good songwriter.
>>
>>73825297
Maybe its just me, but I can't seem to hate Dave Ghrol. Yeah, some of his opinions are a bit outdated.
>>
>>73829149
>critically acclaimed
>foo fighters
Oh dear

He's not overrated, he's everything wrong with Rock music.
>>
>>73829174
This post screams "I'm a failed musician" to me. Bitterness is an ugly trait.

Dave Grohl has had a successful career as a professional musician for 30 years, and is consistently requested to play on other people's stuff. You think Paul McCartney would suffer a bad drummer? I don't think so, buddy.
>>
>>73829199
It's because you're a faggot.

Dave Grohl doesn't care about Rock music. He cares about money. He is a talent-less retard playing the nice guy persona for dumb cunts like you who buy his records.

He is the Avril Lavigne or Rock music. Rock music will die as long as people like him are active.
>>
>>73829238
That's a little hostile for no reason.
>>
>>73829231
Not him but this shit gets used daily

>Call someone bad or argue with someone
>YOURE JUST BITTER BRO
>YOURe JUST ANGRY UR NOT RICH BRO
>>
>>73829171
The contrarian is strong with you. Stick with grimes, kiddo.
>>
Another thing to realize is that one reason why everyone loves DG, FF, etc. is because when Nirvana blew up they were seen as more or less of a gateway band for people to get into Sonic Youth, REM, Flipper, etc. and FF do the exact same thing.

Grohl cut his teeth in the DC hardcore scene, which was very DIY. I think he knows a thing or two about being on his own. Not many bands (especially massive ones) have the ability to bring inspirations from that era and bridge those 80s scenes to the mainstream. They're constantly shouting out to that era.

How many people would know about Bob Mould if not for them? This is one major thing people don't realize. They're taking those influences and melding them into their own sound and bringing them to the masses.

When I listen to them, I not only hear them but Mission of Burma, Rush, Motorhead, Sonic Youth, etc.
>>
>>73829258
>hostile
It's just words. Don't like it? Then fuck off to your safe space
>>
It's not really Dave, it's the media hyping him and Jack White because there aren't a lot of high profile guitar bands these days.
>>
>>73829278
BAIT
>>
>>73829298
>It's not really Dave
Watch his Glastonbury performance from a few weeks ago, or just about any interview he has ever done

You're full of shit
>>
>http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0342970/
Jesus christ can this guy fuck off?
>>
I don't know that I'm *sick* of them. But it's recently hit me how unusual their entire trajectory really is, and especially Grohl's.

He was the sixth drummer in Nirvana. He really did jump on board just in time for the band to become famous, after all they had already been through with previous drummers and on their earlier releases. The band breaks through to the mainstream almost overnight, and he's only been with them for a year, if that. I don't doubt he shared a kinship with Cobain or Novoselic. But he was definitely the new guy from a different scene who just happened to be there when Nirvana got very, very big.

By the time he released the first Foos record, it was obvious that he was taking a lighter, sunnier approach than Nirvana had. But around the time of that first Foos record, he was still a young guy processing the concepts of fame and having a wide audience.

But later on, something happened - maybe in the early 2000s or so - where he just became super confident rock and roll frontman dude, and that evolved into "Dave Grohl, the perpetually stoked and earnest grinning bro-dude ambassador for what is left of rock in the mainstream." People grow and change, but it still seems light years beyond the unassuming "I'm just a guy" guy doing interviews and avoiding the subject of Nirvana in 1996.
>>
>>73829298
Really? Because I don't think anyone put a gun to his head and forced him to do "The Decline of Western Civilization: The Punk Years" which is mostly just Dave being a punk fanboy for 90 minutes.
>>
>>73827513
idk counterpoints?
>>
>>73829324
He still generally seems to come off like someone that is fully aware of being in the right place at the right time, and seems grateful about it, while also being possessed with killer talent.
>>
I'm not sick of them.

They don't have a bad album to their name and Wasting Light is one of the most kickass rock albums I've heard in recent years.

I just want them to stop with the whole "celebrity-worship-documentary-making-tribute-playing" kick they've been on since the 2012 Sound City documentary.
>>
>>73828319
>luckiest musician alive
>not Ringo
>>
Perhaps it is dawning on some posters that there is music out there that is not made specifically for them, but is popular and has merit.

In the short time I've spent in this board, the rule seems to be that it is necessary to denigrate and belittle music that has no immediate appeal to the poster, or they've decided not to engage with it.

And even more so if Mike Love or Dave Grohl are involved, or there's a question over a Beatle not being better at whatever is being posted about.

I find this close-minded and snobbish.
>>
>>73829271
Grimes is also not very good, like Nirvana.
>>
A big part has to do with his image. Quite a personality.

Dave was part of Nirvana, which is a big deal. And then created his own band from the ashes of the previous one.
He's extremely talented. Can play guitar, drums, sing and compose very well. Also, he still has that very cool rock star look and he has great charisma, which is an image hard to pull off.

Plus, Grohl has gained respect from many non-mainstream/indie music fans by being part of Queens of the Stone Age and Them Crooked Vultures. And of course, other big stars as you said.

Even though the band's music has some pop feel, they can still rock pretty hard. You should check them playing their live Wasting Light album in its entirety.
>>
Foo Fighters are boring. Plain and simple. Their only interesting album was their first (which was mainly a demo type deal apparently although I felt the songs were quite accomplished), because it was kinda interesting and different - harmonies, soft sounds etc. Beautiful really.

Colour and The Shape was where they began to become generic, sure some excellent songs on there like Everlong but it was a move towards a bigger and in my opinion duller sound. From there it was all down hill. I'm not a fan at all (except that first album) although I love Nirvana. To me the Foo Fighters just don't have the interest/wow factor, and their music just sounds the same in a lot of cases (including the newer big hits). They are not edgy or pushing boundaries in any way, they are just a stadium rock band for the easy listening crowd. They are ok live but certainly not the amazing live band lots of people give them credit for either. Hands down the best work Dave Grohl has done post Nirvana is Queens of the Stone Age. Foos are not even on the radar to me.

So yeah, enjoy not getting them, I don't either. Get back to something more interesting like finding new bands that are awesome.

Also check out the first Foos album if you haven't, it really is great.
>>
I was 13 back when the first album came out in 1995 and I loved the shit out of it, still have my original CD. I thought TCATS was just ok and after that they completely lost me.
>>
>>73825414
Only murricans ignored madchester, it south america it became a thing and even merged with shoegaze and grunge later, specially in Argentina where it became a genre for a while.

>tfw old enough to remember the first times I went to a club as young teen and depeche mode, charlatans, dee-lite, emf, erasure, happy mondays and technotronic where regular plays
Fuck i'm old
>>
>>73829444
^This. I don't actively dislike Foo Fighters, but there's nothing there that excites me at all. It's perfectly inoffensive rock music in an industry where there are virtually no mainstream rock acts left, so they get a lot of undeserved credit for being torch carriers for rock.
>>
>>73829358
>Killer talent
Lmao

>>73829324
Yes, he realised he could make million from that persona
>>
>>73829149
I don't think people even rate him.
>>
I could be the nicest guy in the world and still produce turd music.
>>
>>73829391
>In the short time I've spent in this board
Fuck off back >>>reddit
>>
>>73829391
>I find this
No one cares what you find. You've been shilling Grohl throughout this thread constantly.

>>73829417
>Quite a personality.
>He's extremely talented
>Grohl has gained respect from many non-mainstream/indie music fans
>Even though the band's music has some pop feel, they can still rock pretty hard.

Is this thread being shilled by actual shills?
>>
>>73829503
You could. But Dave Grohl's not doing that. He clearly understands the mechanisms of classic, memorable songwriting.
>>
He was a guy that was good enough (and lucky enough) to be in the right place, at the right time. He's been smart enough and cool enough to make the best of it since then. Good for him, can't hold it against him. He deserves the success he's worked hard for.

Not a fan, personally. But so what?
>>
>>73829527
>Dave Grohl's not doing that
Every song he's ever sang on is garbage
>>
>>73829472
Yeah I agree. The S/T is a pretty solid pop punk album, I have no idea what the fuck happened to them just two years later but it wasn't good.
>>
>>73829547
He's garbage and killing rock music... but so what?! He's never made good music except when being the 6th drummer for Nirvana... but so what?!

You have no taste and are most likely a millennial faggot
>>
Dave may not be the most talented guy around but his heart is in the right place anyway. Would you rather have more Justin Biebers and Black Eyed Peas on the radio?
>>
>>73829595
Bait/Shill

Why do so many posts ITT start with "Dave may not be the best...."

Dave Grohl is GARBAGE
>>
I sort of like Dave because he bet on himself. His band collapsed, and Tom Petty offered him a job. Not many musicians get a second chance like that, but Dave said no, and year later he came out with the Foo Fighters. Dave bet on himself and won.
>>
>>73829616
>>73829595
>>73829547
>>73829417
>>73829391
>>73829371
>>73829278
Shills/bait
>>
>>73828464
Proving nothing, Paul also collaborated with Kanye who is total garbage. He's just gotten old and doesn't know what decent musicians are anymore.
>>
The argument that FF is only popular because of Nirvana falls apart when you look at Novoselic's post-Nirvana career.
>>
I agree with the above. I'm a big fan. And I think he's really talented. And maybe most of all, he seems to have fun doing what he does. It's contagious.

However I realize no one will appeal to everyone. And that's okay. I mean...if the Beatles and the Stones have their detractors...it's both fine and dandy for Dave and the Foos to have people not groove on what they do.

I think some may need to chill out a bit. It's only rock-and-roll.
>>
>>73828664

Sound City was a super cool documentary. Unfortunately the music made with the vintage mixing board was trash. It was kind of sad to see guys who once put out kick ass rock no longer had the magic.
>>
Honestly, Probot is the only post-Nirvana thing of worth he's done, the rest is no better than Nickelback.
>>
As a 30ish year old guy who spends most of his time listening to 60s/70s classic rock I think Dave Grohl is the exception of the rule in this day of age. He is a sincere rock personality who truly loves music and those who came before him. He does not claim to be the greatest at anything and conveys himself as a real human being. I have a friend who ran into him and he said he was the nicest famous person he could ever envision meeting. The guy was in Nirvana and has since put together great projects like Foo Fighters and Them Crooked Vultures. By the way, the documentary he did - Sound City - is superb. I guess it's just charisma...he seems cooler at 45+ then he did at 20.
>>
>>73825297
>listening to le kill kurt cobain man
>>
Too bad the analog mixing on Sound City is negated by the fact that it's brickwalled to hell.
>>
>>73829395
So you have pleb taste? Cool, glad we worked that out.
>>
>>73829642
Novoselic went into politics, he didn't try hard and attempt music

>>73829662
>>73829687
>>73829727
>>73829727
>>73829727
>>73829727
Shills

>>73829727
This guy specifically is a shill.
>>
File: id rather not.jpg (440KB, 693x693px) Image search: [Google]
id rather not.jpg
440KB, 693x693px
>>73825332
>>
They write and play catchy songs that kick ass. I don't have any of their albums, but I like just about everything I've heard over the years.
>>
>>73829727
>Dave Grohl
>Exception
No, stop lying
>Sincere rock personality
>Truly loves music
He cares about money
>Conveys himself as a real human being
Yes, to sell his shit albums to idiots like you
>Charisma
Lol
>Cooler
Fucking lol
>>
>>73829773
Shill
>>
>>73829616
Great observation. And therein lies the reason I think for Grohl's appeal--he's a positive force in rock music. Positive on himself and his band, positive on the history of rock, and positive in his extracurricular and sideman efforts. Songs For The Deaf is the best QOTSA album in my opinion, and it's no coincidence that Grohl drums on it.

He's not be the best songwriter or frontman (although he's very decent at both). And while I do like the Foo Fighters I think if you look across the history of rock they are at best a B-level effort. But Dave Grohl has the positivity that brings what could be dismissed as "meh" to a a whole other level. If he was an athlete he wouldn't be the best player but he would be that locker room force that inspires everyone around him to play better.

And what I still find amazing is that he was the third-ranking member of Nirvana, but when that crashed and burned, he came out from behind the kit and became a star in his own right. How many drummers have done that? Less than you can count on one hand.

Can you imagine Dave being Tom Petty's full-time drummer now? I can't. He's way too talented for that. And I give him a lot of credit for seeing that in himself back in the mid-90s when 99% of the rock world probably thought his career was over.
>>
>>73829759
No, it is you that has pleb taste because as I have already said, Nirvana are not very good
>>
Stop pretending people dislike him because he's "overrated", there is nothing to "rate" about Foo Fighters since they really haven't done anything for the industry despite being a big name on it. The only reason you see him everywhere it's because the guy could actually handle success, and unfortunately he didn't come up with enough talent for music to pair up his talent for business.

To reply to the OP quote, mainstream pop music with a few exceptions is pretty crappy most of the time, with the internet there's no excuse to find good shit of any genre, I mean even in the 80's people had means to find good bands that became influential, and I unironically think U2 which was massive at the time was one of them.

>>73829482
This, Latin America loves the brits.
>>
>>73825297
>I'm confident that good music will make a comeback. It happened before and it can happen again.
this is just a generic line that retarded dad rock listeners circlejerk over, good music has been pouring out none stop every year now.
there's a lot of good music coming out
just go look for it
>>
>>73829820
Nirvana aren't great but Grimes is much worse.
>>
>>73825297
>"I think the situation now is a lot like it was in '89 to '91 right before Nirvana broke. Music back then was just a lot of mindless pop and dance tunes, but nothing that actually spoke to how the kids were feeling.

This sort of thing is the music industry's conscious choice.

There is always music that doesn't fit the mainstream or is closer to the actual cultural zeitgeist than whatever's on the radio or endlessly hyped.

Nirvana didn't break big because they came out of nowhere, some entrepreneurial person in the industry knew that they could exploit this sentiment out of them.

Grohl is somewhat clueless to this fact, and repeating the dumb mythos that was propagated. Nirvana broke because Geffen wanted the money, that was it.
>>
>>73829588
>implying millenials listen to actual music
There is a reason why justin bieber and kanye are big.
>>
Grohl and Foo Fighters carried on the momentum of Nirvana. In some very real ways, Foo Fighters were an extension of and continuation of Nirvana.

Beyond that, it's some great music. Above everything else, perhaps, Grohl puts in the work. The other guys in Nirvana basically took their money and went on to do other things and live their life and they got old and grey. Grohl, on the other hand, actually continued to work. what a novel concept. Who would have thought that hard work begat success?

And Grohl still looks great.
>>
>>73825337
>It's another case of "Old man forgets that there exists music outside of Top 40".
Worse is that HE USED TO BE PART OF IT!
>>
>>73829071
I'd say his opinion carries more weight over some autists on a Norwegian hand basket weaving forum.
>>
>>73829876
Krist Novoselic was classy enough to move on and do other things with his life instead of cash in on Kurt's tragic life.
>>
The Foo Fighters wouldn't sell out arenas without the cult of personality built around Dave because of Nirvana's success

The only people who like this guy at balding 30-40 something year olds who wear Affliction T-shirts and cargo shorts. The "Homer Simpson" men. Docile, fat, lazy, etc.

He was Nirvana's 6th drummer, he'd be working in McDonalds without Cobain.

Foo Fighters is boring radio rock. It's funny how the same people who say that Foo Fighters are "true rock band, keeping the genre alive" say something like Nickelback is terrible when they're pretty much the same safe, bland radio rock.

Grohl is about as relevant and talented as Avril Lavigine
>>
>>73827513
>What could be the future of guitar solos?
Noise and atonality.
>>
>>73828212
> Kanye is as much of a "rock star" as the Rolling Stones and he's never touched a guitar.
No, you stupid hip-hop fan
>As Ice Cube put it
Who?
>>
Dave is kind of ubiquitous like Phil Collins was back in the day. Lest anyone think Dave is not a talented guy, he's been at the top of the heap with the Foos for 20 years and they're packing stadiums. Name another rock band that started in 2000 and still sells records and tickets like The Foos. The Colour and the Shape was their best, but they still release some catchy singles. Dave has always been a great drummer and if you can't hear that then that's too bad for you, maybe considering taking up beer pong as a hobby. I'm not a big fan or anything but I usually enjoy the latest Foos single on the radio. I think "dad rock" does fit their tunes and it makes me laugh, it's mainstream middle of the road rock for everybody, but again, they've had a bunch of good to really good singles over a lot of years and that's no easy feat. Plus, Dave is really cool, loved Sound City and the Rush Hall of Fame intro.
>>
>>73828052
>lyl I wish Kurt Cobain was alive to see what a shitty buttrocker Dave's become
This. Dave can't hold a candle to him.
>>
>>73829633
Nigger, grimes posting is what you call a shill, not stating an opinion. Fucking faggot.
>>
>>73829876
Are you an actual shill?

Krist went into politics and grew up. He didn't use Cobain's misery as a launch pad for a mediocre new pop rock band

Grohl is everything wrong with music

>>73829926
Shill
>>
Aren't FF pretty much the last band carrying out the stadium rock tradition?
>>
>>73829947
Read through this thread. There are genuinely shills posting ITT
>>
Has anybody watched any videos of Dave with the band Scream in the late 80s? He had to be the fastest and most powerful drummer in rock at the time and when he was in Nirvana. He is just an amazing drummer to watch. I sometimes wish he would just play drums permanently. Now that the Foo Fighters are very well established, it well never happen. I still think Foo Fighters are an outstanding band, even with Dave as a front man.
>>
>>73829957
>you can't like something without being a shill
kill yourself, tin foil hat autist
>>
The Foo Fighters wouldn't sell out arenas without the cult of personality built around Dave because of Nirvana's success

The only people who like this guy at balding 30-40 something year olds who wear Affliction T-shirts and cargo shorts. The "Homer Simpson" men. Docile, fat, lazy, etc.

Foo Fighters is boring radio rock. It's funny how the same people who say that Foo Fighters are "true rock band, keeping the genre alive" say something like Nickel-back is terrible when they're pretty much the same safe, bland radio rock.

GROHL IS EVERYTHING WRONG WITH GUITAR BASED MUSIC
>>
>>73829952
Arcade Fire?
>>
>>73829974
>liking dave grohl
LMAO, I think you should unironically
>>
File: homme.png (86KB, 168x241px) Image search: [Google]
homme.png
86KB, 168x241px
>>73828290
>>73829899
>>73829977
It's time to stop posting, my friend.
>>
Grohl is keeping modern rock alive. Simple as that. Great songs, better than average guitarist, great drummer, and I love his hard-rocking voice. A great guy...what's not to love?
>>
>>73829952
Green Day.
>>
>>73829992
I definitely thought about them, but their appeal is not nearly as broad and they've yet to play too many stadiums. Point remains, such a band is a rapidly disappearing species.
>>
>>73830013
BAIT

see>>73829977
>>73830012
Shills
>>
>>73830027
Because of people like Dave Grohl who refuse to retire and stop selling the same album 50 times

It's no surprise people don't listen anymore
>>
>>73830047
The fuck are you on about?
>>
well the Foo Fighters don't excite me but they're better than most current bands. That said I don't buy their records. I do consider Grohl a real difference maker on drums, and really one of the greatest rock drummers of all time.
>>
>>73825700
I see your point but his age is relevant
>>
>>73830082
>The Foo Fighters wouldn't sell out arenas without the cult of personality built around Dave because of Nirvana's success
>The only people who like this guy at balding 30-40 something year olds who wear Affliction T-shirts and cargo shorts. The "Homer Simpson" men. Docile, fat, lazy, etc.
>He was Nirvana's 6th drummer, he'd be working in McDonalds without Cobain.
>He didn't even do a lot of the drumming on Nirvana records anyway.
>Foo Fighters is boring radio rock. It's funny how the same people who say that Foo Fighters are "true rock band, keeping the genre alive" say something like Nickel-back is terrible when they're pretty much the same safe, bland radio rock.
>Grohl is about as relevant and talented as Avril Lavigine
>GROHL IS EVERYTHING WRONG WITH GUITAR BASED MUSIC
>>
He may be the last real mainstream rocker out there, he's a cool guy and his heart is in the right place. The last album was p. good too if a little paint-by-numbers.
>>
>>73830102
shill
>>
I think of Dave Grohl as filling a similar niche that Tom Petty filled in the 70s and 80s. He's a reliable songwriter and performer. He isn't changing the world, but he does good work.
>>
>>73830097
Whats with the hate pasta? And faggots here are complaining about "shill" posts.
>>
>>73830134
Funny you say that, as after the demise of Nirvana Grohl was asked to drum in Petty's band.
>>
>>73830109
>what is ironic shitposting
it's clear at this point most people ITT are shitting on Dave, so anons are just countershitposting to piss you off. Funnily enough, you yourself could be self aware and already understanding of this concept, but due to Poe's Law, you appear unaware of the situation, which then b8s me into replying to you, but at the same time, due to Poe's Law, I appear unaware of your tactics, even though I know of what you may intend to convey with your own shitposts where you call everyone a shill.
>>
>>73829926
>Lest anyone think Dave is not a talented guy, he's been at the top of the heap with the Foos for 20 years and they're packing stadiums

20 years? Come on, that's the equivalent of Metallica in 2003.
>>
>>73830192
You're right, but music changed enormously between 1983 and 2003, not as much as changed since the turn of the millenium. We mostly just have generic pop and rappers over and over and over.
>>
I like Foo Fighters. Although Nirvana is infinitely better, they still make good rock and roll tunes. I think people here just shit on him too much simply because he's still relevant after what happened with Nirvana. Not much band members can do that.
>>
Honestly I prefer Dave's slower ballads to the rockers, mostly because his melodic singing voice is better than his arena shouting voice.
>>
Foo Fighters just embody rock and roll for me. He came from one of the most famous bands of the 90s and managed to reinvent himself and continue on the legacy in his own way which is respectable. It doesn't hurt that Dave Grohl is also a likable guy. Their music is meant to be cranked up and played on a decent sound system and speakers to get the full effect and benefit. I like that their music is also catchy and upbeat in its madness. They have a formula that works and they're also one of my favorite bands. With that said, Wasting Light probably will be my last Foo Fighters album since I have all of them leading up to the last album. That's all the Foo Fighters I really need.
>>
>>73830150

Foo Fighters is boring radio rock. It's funny how the same people who say that Foo Fighters are "true rock band, keeping the genre alive" say something like Nickel-back is terrible when they're pretty much the same safe, bland radio rock.

GROHL IS EVERYTHING WRONG WITH GUITAR BASED MUSIC

>newfag doesn't know about grohl posting
>>
>>73830214
>generic pop
Yes, like Grohl's music
>>
>>73830223
>>73830240
>>73830273
shill
>>
>>73830310
>opinion == shill
Holy shit fucking kill yourself.
>>
File: 16hjaxv.jpg (30KB, 300x371px) Image search: [Google]
16hjaxv.jpg
30KB, 300x371px
>>73830310
Not at all. Genuine lifelong fan here. This is my wife's arm.
>>
One of the hardest working bands/artists out there and quite frankly he doesn't have to do it, Dave understands the media and he certainly has a love for rock n roll.
>>
I really like the Wasting Light album from 2011. A lot of great songs on that album. I still enjoy listening to it.
>>
To the Foo Fighters haters...
You. Yes, you. The one screaming, "There's no good songs!" and "Dave ripped us off!" and other slurs I dare not mention. Tread lightly. You are one. We are hundreds, thousands. Millions. You aren't just IN the minority; you ARE the minority. I don't feel awkward or anxious playing Foo Fighters around others, and your words don't affect me. Many others, however, are coming out of their shells for the first time in their lives. This is the first time many are enjoying the incredible rock tunes that has been made for us - and it IS incredible. Incredibly so. DON'T ruin this for them. We Foo Fighters fans may have our differences, but we will not hesitate to come to the aid of our fellow sole-survivors, especially against someone who so virulently slurs that which has brought us all together. Don't take this the wrong way. I don't hate you. I don't fear you. I pity you. I'm sorry that you feel this way towards us. I'm sorry that Foo Fighters is such a bane to your existence. And I'm sorry that you are missing out on such a wonderful experience. Mostly, though, I'm sorry that you feel the need to go around and publicly chastise and berate others. I'm sorry that, to ensure your own validity, you need to make others feel invalid. I'm sorry that your self-worth is so infinitesimally miniscule that you have to make others feel less-than-human, at least in your own denatured mind, just to feel whole. I am truly sorry that day-in and day-out you have to put up with your worthless, meaningless, Shakespearean tragedy of a life. I ask you politely to cease your unnecessary cries for attention, and instead invite you to join our fanbase. Delete Bleach, Nevermind and In Utero, start up their self titled, and breathe in the splendour and the amazement of your first taste of Dave talent, and then, maybe, just maybe, you'll see what you've been so hopelessly searching for this whole time.
>>
>>73830277
>newfag doesn't know about grohl posting
I do, but that's irrelevant because people can still genuinely believe in what other anons are posting like the /tv/ Hommeposting cuck and the autist calling everyone a shill. And then on the other side, people may genuinely believe in what they're posting. (You) may or may not, but being a newfag or oldfag has nothing to do with the conversation here. (Which it's hardly a conversation because the autist calling everyone a shill won't reply to posts of any substance).
>>
I thought his cover of Elton John's Tiny Dancer was crap, Dave really didn't need to resurrect that song.
>>
>>73830374
Dave Grohl is unironiclaly everything wrong with guitar based music though
>>
Although I find his band to be a bit meh, I respect him for working hard and getting big on his own. Sure, ex-nirvana name did get him noticed, but that is where it would have ended. He did something right if he's still relevant. Name one other drummer from a band who became big with his own band? Exactly, faggots. Stay mad.
>>
>>73830381
Grohl started out as a punk rocker in DC, playing in a few bands particularly Scream.

You can probably guess that teenage punk rockers in the 80s were not into Elton John.
>>
File: 1493482534626.gif (16KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1493482534626.gif
16KB, 750x750px
>>73830343
>>73830361
>>73830373
>>73830374
>>73830381

Hos paying them?

>>73830401
>>73830401
>>73830401
>>
>>73830394
Again, that's irrelevant because due to Poe's Law, I don't know if you genuinely feel that way or not, and on the reverse, you'll never know if I'm self aware of this or not.
>>
>>73830413
Shutup faggot go back to reeddit.com
>>
Pfft. Foo Fighters are just the more "macho" version of Bon Jovi for middle aged soccer dads.
>>
File: 7nhd3Z5.png (123KB, 785x757px) Image search: [Google]
7nhd3Z5.png
123KB, 785x757px
>>73830373
>Delete Bleach, Nevermind and In Utero, start up their self titled
>>
>>73830427
No, I've never gone there, but I see you're one of the many newfags that have flocked here to showcase how obsessed they are with that place. Good for you, my man. It's amazing, before 2013, nobody gave a shit about that place, and now all the newfags feel the need to post about it. Then again. my anger contradicts my earlier points in that, it's likely, all this shit is b8 anyways, so we're all getting worked up over nothing.
>>
>>73830472
you're theonly 1 getting workede up cuck
>>
>>73830500
>cuck
Nah I wouldn't necessarily say I'm the only one. You're getting all defensive now (which again, could just be more b8), and then you have to take into account that my posts may be b8, which would then trick you into believing I'm affected by this thread and the replies people have tickled me with.
>>
He's absolutely right though.
>>
>>73829391
>short time i have spent on this board
>>>out
>>
>>73825297
Really ?

All the kids seem to feel mindless drone hip hop here in germany.
From 8y old up to 25y olds.
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.