[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What bands did you used to think would remain popular or at least

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: bitteorca_web.jpg (56KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
bitteorca_web.jpg
56KB, 600x600px
What bands did you used to think would remain popular or at least continue to be remembered down the line that weren't? Loose criteria are that the last big commercial/critical splash the band had had to have been over five years ago and that people generally agree that stuff released since then hasn't been very widely devoured. Extra points for being a big generational touchstone that is completely ignored by younger millennials/Gen Z (older millennials or Gen X if you're old as shit, I guess).

I'll start that I thought Dirty Projectors and Grizzly Bear would remain huge indie darlings forever. Now, I barely know anyone who's listened to them, and those who have usually respond with a bunch of nostalgia for Veckatimest or Bitte Orca and wondering aloud whatever happened to either band.

I mean, fuck, when I first started coming here, Bitte Orca was /mu/core. In comparison, see how well MPP continues to do at getting discussed and heralded and remembered.
>>
File: 1294681113272.jpg (2MB, 2224x4888px) Image search: [Google]
1294681113272.jpg
2MB, 2224x4888px
I really only liked one song off of Bitte Orca. But yeah it's interesting to see what was /mu/core in 2010, which I still have the pic.
>>
Cults
Best Coast
Justice
>>
>>73804305
I thought Tennis and Anamanaguchi were going to be so big.. kek
>>
>tfw yuck
>>
All of those circa 2010 noise pop/garage rock bands. Japandroids, Wavves, No Age, The Men. Only Thee Oh Sees seem to still get press for releasing an album a year with 2 great songs on it
>>
>>73805062
Oh and DFA1979. They were always the most overrated and it feels good to be proven right now that noobdy cares about them
>>
File: 1417010796289.gif (51KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1417010796289.gif
51KB, 500x376px
great topic.

i never liked Dirty Projectors but the hype was there for sure. same with Grizzly Bear, but they seemed to have more longevity. i've no opinions either way, but it was surprising to see them drop off.

i also thought Wolf Gang were going places; i saw them live and thought the songs were pretty sharp for a one-man operation. S.C.U.M. had one great double album in them somewhere down the line. James Blake doesn't really count because he went the pop/producer route, but i would've loved him as a Laurel Halo type. Necros Christos were over before they began, but everyone expected big things. Haim will be the same in - at the most - 2 years, which is definitely a shame but at least we have Days are Gone
>>
>>73805110
Love grizzly bear aren't they releasing something new soon
>>
>>73805224
yes in august. The singles were ok
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.