[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it important that your music be political? Are "political"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

Is it important that your music be political? Are "political" and "good" two different things?
>>
im confused is this bait
>>
>>73799924
No? I was just listening to a podcast about the best albums of year so far and almost every one was introduced as being an "important" album because it was about transgenderism/BLM/patriarchy/etc. I'm wondering if good = political or not to music fans.
>>
>>73799880
Yes political things can be bad and good things don't need to be political.
>>
>>73799945
"Important" is subjective.
If racist ideals are "important" to me than all those albums are unimportant. Don't give reviewers so much power over your thoughts.
>>
>tfw moderate centrist
>i have the capacity to appreciate all music
>>
>>73799945
only the music """fans""" like scaruffi and fantano (to a certain extent) who need a meta narrative in music
>>
>>73799880
political is is a subset of risky.
good is also a subset of risky.
there is an intersection between political and good, but it is small.
>>
It depends if they political message is well thought out and told in a way that is interesting, musically.

But that's rarely the case, no matter the political viewpoint. Its like going to your physics professor for advice on gardening. Sure they have a PhD in physics, they know fuck all in anything else.

But this should not stop you from enjoying music that is highly political. You can simultaneously appreciate RATM, NSBM, and BBBBLUUUMPHFHFFF TWOOO SCOOOOOOPS music if its good enough.
>>
political music is only good if it agrees with me

>>73799995
le truth is in le middle
>>
File: kbLh1IQ[1].png (60KB, 701x602px) Image search: [Google]
kbLh1IQ[1].png
60KB, 701x602px
i mean,i generally enjoy listening to artists that i agree with politically, and i don't know how much of it is conscious choice, subconscious choice, or organic development, but most of my favorite artists have political views in the same spectrum as mine (whether or not they express them in their music)

i think its not so much that political = good but more that political issues can be deeply motivational and for an artist to have that inspiration can push their work to greater heights

pic semi-related, im a leftist and its my top artists for the past year
>>
>>73799948
We don't have to talk about abstract things like that. In reality, politically-driven music is almost always terrible.
>>
>>73800147
Have you heard the song Tubthumping?
>>
I dunno if this is bait but being political and being good are two completely different things.

I could drop a soundcloud trap mixtape about how trump should rape all the niggers and if political=good then I'd have dropped a pure fucking masterpiece, despite lyrics being of the same quality as "yo yo, my name is joe, I broke my toe on a cheerio".
>>
I often feel like political music isn't "important" once the issues being discussed are less hot. 10 years down the road, these "important" records won't be remembered as the best of the now because they required the context around them to be "important"

>>73799945
hahaha, that sounds like a trainwreck. link?
>>
>>73800216
never heard of it
>>
Political motivations are as valid a reason as any other for self-expression, and can lead to good music. The medium doesn't lend itself well to actual insight into the topic though. It's kind of like twitter in that regard. and like twitter, I can't stand when all that's being expressed in the music is some smug sense of holier than thou-ness
>>
I just saw Roger Waters live in Dallas and damn, when he made Pigs into an anti trump protest it just felt off putting.
>>
I was going to ignore this but I wanted other people to ignore it too.
Do not fall for the politics dictated life meme senpai.
>>
Popular music can only be judged in terms of how good it is by its social, cultural, and/or political significance.

Unlike the sheer amounts of musical analysis that can be done for the likes of art music (also called classical by some), jazz music, electronic music, and traditional music, popular music's only worth analyzing/understanding on the level where it's the most effective. That level is the social/cultural/political one.

So yes, it's true. Unless you are going for some kinda modern classical, or a jazz date, or some sort of electronic experiment, it is VERY important for your music to be political or reference current social/cultural aspects to have any level of contextual relevancy at all.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.