[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come the most boundary-pushing hip-hop albums of each decade

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

How come the most boundary-pushing hip-hop albums of each decade were all made by white people?
>>
>DJ Shadow
>white
>>
>>73790527
Do you really have to ask?
>>
>>73790533
holy fuck he's actually
whitey god fucking dammit
>>
>>73790527
Impossible Nothing isn't boundary-pushing and you're only saying it is because Scaruffi gave it an 8.
>>
>>73790527
paul's boutique was a solid album but calling it boundary-pushing just shows your ignorance
>>
When it comes to music, experimentation and progressivism are basically wired into our DNA.
It's the same reason only white people are drawn to an outsider or experimental genre.

White artists look at hip-hop in ways to improve the style and elevate it to new heights by pushing boundaries and experimenting with sound. While on the other hand, black artists would prefer to run the line and not differ from the norm to make as much money as possible.

>inb4 Jazz and Avant-garde Jazz.
Classic Jazz musicians were owned by white record labels and were encouraged to experiment with sound.
>>
>>73790598
what about dub?
>>
File: 51whdoDG2BL.jpg (58KB, 500x493px) Image search: [Google]
51whdoDG2BL.jpg
58KB, 500x493px
>>73790527
cLOUDDEAD isn't boundary pushing at all
pic related is some real shit
>>
>>73790598
>Charlie Parker
>Thelonious Monk
>Ornette Coleman
>Julius Eastman
>Dean Blunt
yeah you're an idiot
>>
>>73790527
>Beastie Boys
>white
>>
>>73790625
>Artists people pretend to listen to

wew
>>
>>73790634
ok nice try b8er
>>
File: IMG_1168.jpg (77KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1168.jpg
77KB, 900x900px
>>73790634

>not actually listening to Ornette on a regular basis.
>>
>>73790650
No one actually listens to Ornette Coleman that often, and you know it. Same goes for most the artists you listed with the exceptions being Dean Blunt and Charlie Parker. Your average person doesn't even know who Ornette Coleman or Julius Eastman is, and the people who do, don't even listen to them often.

No one listens to Julius Eastman often, I hate to use the Poseur meme. But Julius Eastman is the definition of Poseur music. Most - if not all the people on /mu/ who claim to love Eastman's music probably have never even listened to Unjust Malaise, they just know it's one of those "whoa so patrician and obscure" albums.
>>
>>73790696
>Your average person
No cares about the average person, they are irrelevant.
>No one listens to Julius Eastman often, I hate to use the Poseur meme. But Julius Eastman is the definition of Poseur music.
People barely even post it anymore
>>
>>73790527
So NOW you want to include Jewish people as whites to fit your narrative?
>>
>>73790527
"Boundary pushing" =/= good

It's questionable whether Paul's Botique is even boundary pushing anyway.
>>
>>73790728
>DJ Shadow
>Jewish
Is this true?
>>
>>73790527
but those are all trash albums except for the Beastie Boys one
>>
>>73790786
i get the feeling OP doesn't listen to hip hop at all
>>
>>73790757
Beastie Boys.....
>>
>>73790757
The fucking Beastie Boys, idiot
>>
File: 1401625556611.jpg (19KB, 320x313px) Image search: [Google]
1401625556611.jpg
19KB, 320x313px
>>73790807
>>
>>73790527

let me tell you what the actual most boundary-pushing hip-hop albums of each decade were:

>80s: It Takes A Nation...

>90s: Illmatic

>2000s: Madvillainy

>2010s: MBDTF

which were all made by black people
>>
>>73790592
No album used samples that well until PB. Maybe not boundary-pushing, but definitely game-changing and the best of the decade (if not of all time)
>>
>>73790964
>who is Marley Marl
>who are Bomb Squad
>who is Hurby Luv Bug

yeah, you're clueless
>>
>>73790987
>yeah, you're clueless
Pretty much, I'll check out those artists (I already know Bomb Squad before you guys buttrape me)
>>
>>73790527
>clouddead
>hip hop

lol it's just white retards that sound like they're in grade 9 singing retardedly over synths, what's fucking hip hop about that
>>
>>73791023
also check out EPMD, De La Soul and 45 King (did most of the beats on Follow The Leader by Eric B & Rakim)
there was a lot of good sampling in hip hop before PB came out
PB s a good album though, no doubt
>>
>>73790533
dubs confrim dj shadow is now black
>>
>>73791062
>there was a lot of good sampling
Definitely agreed, I just think that PB did it the best. It's completely my own opinion, I've loved that album since I was around 9 years old so I might be biased. No hate towards those other artists (I know and love most of them), just none of them stack up to PB in that regard.
>>
File: Ford.png (229KB, 251x392px) Image search: [Google]
Ford.png
229KB, 251x392px
>>73790533
>>73791133
>>
>>73791139
that's fair enough, but without hearing the other stuff, you probably don't even know what you prefer

usually people credit PB with its diverse sources (but Del La soul did that already a year earlier) and the sheer number of samples used (something Bomb Squad did a year earlier)
>>
>>73791177
Yeah, I'm looking into it right now
>>
Because white people are actually capable of having abstract thoughts
>>
>>73791170
impressive, very nice.
>>
>>73790527
>endtroducing
>boundary pushing hip hop
???
it's a good album but hardly boundary pushing
same with impossible nothing and paul's boutique
>>
>>73790527
none of those are boundary pushing
>>
>>73791350
>hip hop album composed entirely of sampling
had that been done before?
>>
>>73791372
not ENTIRELY of sampling but that doesn't mean it was the most boundary pushing hip hop record of the 90s, even if it was the first to do that
>>
>>73791402
it wasn't anyway
technically the first one was Grandmaster Flash - Adventures On The Wheels Of Steel
>>
>>73790527
Hip Hop has, in spite of the media image and constant attempts at appropriation, always been the voice of the working class at its rawest. There have always been white people involved in the scene, some (Shadow, EL-P) have been responsible for breaking new ground in the genre, but they've always been a minority hence their achievements stick out more. Groundbreaking albums made by black producers don't get noticed as much because its seen as standard.
>>
>>73791402
>Called the Sgt. Peppers of their time by DJ's worldwide
>Incorporated hip hop, jazz, breakbeat, trip hop, and plunder phonics, plus turntablism in one album
>Created lush trip hop only using samples
>Inspired a generation of DJ's and influenced radiohead
>Not boundary pushing

Stop talking about a genre you don't know shit about.
>>
>>73791563
Give me a boundary pushing instrumental hiphop album by a black guy that isn't made by doom, Madlib, or j Dilla.
>>
>>73791691
>Called the Sgt. Peppers of their time by DJ's worldwide
wow, so it's an overrated album that is acclaimed by 50-60 year old rock n roll traditionalists who perpetually parrot themselves into a neverending feedback loop of unconscious retardation?
>Created lush trip hop only using samples
>Inspired a generation of DJ's and influenced radiohead
neither of these explain why is it actually boundary pushing
admittedly i was in the wrong to call it not boundary pushing however it's just an ok album and there are more boundary pushing hip hop albums from the decade (see here)
>>
>>73791753
Seems like you've only listened to it once as background music, also, love how you didn't take the last two points I made you greentexted. Only a boundary pushing album would be called the Sgt peppers of hiphop and inspire DJ's all across the world. Did I not mention he created fucking trip-hop from only samples?

If creating the first album made only out of samples isn't boundary pushing I don't know what is.
>>
>>73791880
i've listened to it numerous times and have a copy of it on CD. i don't dislike it, i think it is a good album, and yes in the plunderphonics aspect it is groundbreaking, i suppose. however, there are still more groundbreaking records in hip hop from the same decade, and plenty more from the rest of the genre.
>If creating the first album made only out of samples isn't boundary pushing I don't know what is.
1. as >>73791430 points out it isn't the first
2. i have agreed with you in that it is a groundbreaking album
>>
File: insp4.jpg (91KB, 639x960px) Image search: [Google]
insp4.jpg
91KB, 639x960px
>>73790527
coz blacks dont push boundaries theyre too scared to be nonblack if they do shit creatively

so its always the same shit at their songs and the same stale, boring drugs cops women are whores i wanna be rich manchild bullshit

for every creative nigga there are two million big lips with small dicks who just copypaste whatever the creative nigga did and this gen the creative nigga was eminem, last gen it was 2pac

so go ahead put that shitty trap beat on, say what everyone says and waste your breath on being unoriginal nigga you got no stones. zero balls
>>
>>73792025
>>73791270

see >>73790946
>>
>>73792277
memes
>>
>>73792425
your a meme
>>
>>73790946
>80s
Lmao no. Paul's Boutique has more samples than It Takes A Nation, being one of the most boundary pushing sample based hip hop records out there.
>90s
Hahahahah not really, Illmatic is the opposite of boundary pushing rather it just refines on what Eric B & Rakim were doing. Meanwhile DJ Shadow's codifying instrumental hip hop with not just samples, but actual structures that are unlike anything that have existed in hip hop.
>2000s
Madvillainy and all that other stuff stays relatively in the same realm of structure/rhythm when it comes to hip hop. It's all stuff they learned from J Dilla the decade before. But cLOUDDEAD uses a combination of more abstract sampling and unique rhythms to bring something not done to hip hop before.
>2010s
MBDTF is just continuing a trend Kanye, and pop hip hop has been going through for a long time. Impossible Nothing's trilogy is far more ambitious with the sheer variety on display and a complexity in production not normally seen in hip hop.
>>
>>73792512
>Paul's Boutique has more samples than It Takes A Nation
not the guy you're replying to but what's your source for this?
>>
>>73792549
Nigga just go on wikipedia or who sampled. Both show that PB has more samples.
>>
>>73792571
i don't think a listener would be able to break nation of million down
shocklee said he was putting like 30 breaks into one loop and then just taking the combined snare and shit like that, dude was insane
>>
>>73790987
Literally whos
>>
aren't clouddead a bunch of spics?
>>
>>73792613
i think they were gooks
>>
>>73792597
That's great, and PB uses complex techs as well. It's been almost 30 years, I am sure its been broken down. It's not a huge difference like 10-15 more samples, but it's the truth my man.
>>
>>73792512

>Paul's Boutique has more samples than It Takes A Nation

I'd like to see a source for that, from what I've read Public Enemy/Bomb Squad were often using hundreds of microsamples to construct one beat/song, meaning altogether the album likely had thousands. It Takes A Nation had so many samples that you don't even recognize most of what you're hearing is samples.

>just refines on what Eric B & Rakim were doing.

haha what? you're saying Illmatic sounds anything like anything Eric B. & Rakim did before it?

>cLOUDDEAD uses a combination of more abstract sampling and unique rhythms to bring something not done to hip hop before.

I see what you mean here but even that said, the album posted here >>73791753 was doing that way before cLOUDDEAD.

>Impossible Nothing's trilogy is far more ambitious with the sheer variety on display and a complexity in production not normally seen in hip hop.

we can't really know that for sure without knowing how Impossible Nothing makes his music and that guy is a mystery. if he uses more than just electronic production, you may be right, but to me it just seems like very well-done sampling which is cool but not innovative.

and MBDTF was massively different than anything Kanye had done previously, he was definitely building off of them but the result was something unique.
>>
>>73790527
Beastie Boys are jews, so are Clouddead

When in your own 'race wars' you need to take the accomplishments of collectives who don't describe themselves as such, your entire narrative is in trouble

Still, 3 Feet High and Rising was more aesthetically groundbreaking for hip hop - lyricism, psychedelia, skits, eclectic virtuoso sampling all four months before Paul's Boutique came out.
>>
>>73792648
>and PB uses complex techs as well.
what do you mean?
>>
>>73790946
it takes a million and mbdtf are the only ones you've got right
>>
>>73792776
>I'd like to see a source for that
Already told you where to go (wiki, whosampled if you want specific citations). Maybe actually what they were doing instead of what you heard.
>haha what? you're saying Illmatic sounds anything like anything Eric B. & Rakim did before it?
Gritty sounding NY hip hop with technical rap flows and minimal style production. Illmatic only changed it up by making the "lets change producers every track" trend popular.
>Spirit Walls before cLOUDDEAD
Spirit Walls' production style is nowhere near as abstract due to reliance on "real instruments" and Styler himself isn't as erratic with rhythms as Doseone.
>we can't really know that for sure without knowing how Impossible Nothing makes his music and that guy is a mystery.
But we can see and hear what it is he has done. There's no concept this overthetop in hip hop. Hip hop doesn't tend to have 10 minute long tracks one after the other so you don't get to see the kind of transitions he works with in the genre often.
>and MBDTF was massively different than anything Kanye had done previously
Oh, you mean the "large as fuck arrangements for each track built by a different large team of producers for each track" that he has been doing since the beginning?
>>
>>73790946
>>73792842
actually nevermind scratch mbdtf
>>
>>73792806
they don't have a narrative, it's just about dividing people, poison every side and turn them all on the rest
>>
>>73792025
Is that a boy?
>>
>>73790946

>80s: It Takes A Nation...
correct

>90s: Illmatic
sure, why not

>2000s: Madvillainy
probably right

>2010s: MBDTF
lol no
>>
>>73792512
>Lmao no. Paul's Boutique has more samples than It Takes A Nation, being one of the most boundary pushing sample based hip hop records out there.

Sampling is at the core of hip hop. In no way is using a bunch of samples boundary pushing. If you don't know why the only acceptable answer is Public Enemy, you're hopeless and should spare hip hop the embarrassment of having you as a fan.
>>
>>73792842
>mbdtf
no
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.