[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else notice the shift in music towards genres that were

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

File: obama.jpg (317KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
obama.jpg
317KB, 850x850px
Anyone else notice the shift in music towards genres that were seen as dead before? Specifically genres like funk, dance, R&B, and soul?

You can see the shift in a several artists.

Portugal. The Man, Arcade Fire, Childish Gambino, The Killers, Harry Styles, Bruno Mars, Calvin Harris, Lorde, Katy Perry, etc.
Even Queens of the Stone Age's new song has some dance influence.

Where do you guys see the music industry shifting in the next few years?
>>
>>73786447
Personally I would have loved to see a revival of rock and roll, but I think a resurgence of funk might be kind of interesting to see.
>>
Reggaeton
>>
Everything happens in cycles.

Everything that seemed lame and fake is now cool and edgy, and everything that was edgy and cool is now lame and fake.
>>
>>73786482
Wouldn't mind
>>
R&B and soul have always been around...
>>
>>73786518
Almost every genre has always been around. But genres go through waves and cycles. It wasn't until recently that R&B and Soul have entered the mainstream more.

I'm predicting we'll see a lot of new R&B type artists, and current artists's sounds will change to keep up with this shift.

Redbone isn't the kind of song you would see on repeat on the radio even 3-5 years ago.
>>
>>73786500
This

Example: All the punk rock and nu-metal from the 90s and early 2000s is seen as lame as fake at the moment. I bet it will make a comeback in another 20 years or so, who knows
>>
>>73786614
we can manipulate this

does this mean that grunge is about to come back?

or disco??
>>
>>73786590
>Redbone isn't the kind of song you would see on repeat on the radio even 3-5 years ago.
Actually yes it is because R&B/Soul radio stations and charts exists
>It wasn't until recently that R&B and Soul have entered the mainstream more.
No you probably only just started to actually pay attention to it.
>>
>>73786644
Much like generations, music transitions either build upon the one before it, or counteract it in response.

Grunge, funk, punk, and a lot of genres are responses to the ones before.

For example, as much as people hate on the Red Hot Chili Peppers, they were a response to the grunge movement that was overdone at that point. For the time, it was a breath of fresh air that was needed. Artists followed the wave of changing music and it led to bubble gum pop from the early 2000s to what we have today.

I honestly see disco coming back, Not even kidding. Look at the killers new song, and Bruno Mars's newest album he has out. Combine the two, and that should give a decent idea of where music is going.
>>
I dunno if it's too soon or not, but a genuine rap rock/rap metal comeback where artists unashamedly re-embrace the sound and give it more cultural respect.

Rage Against The Machine is one of the only bands of that style that has any kind of critcal or cultural respect, since most of the mainstream representation of it was cringey and awful to varying degrees.
>>
>>73786693
In terms of pop success, you dip
>>
>>73786732
>I honestly see disco coming back, Not even kidding. Look at the killers new song, and Bruno Mars's newest album he has out. Combine the two, and that should give a decent idea of where music is going.
I would be very surprised if that is the dominant trend going forward. Although I do think that Disco has a chance for a minor revival
>>
>>73786736
Agree completely.

Despite the hate it gets, Metallica was the biggest band in it's time. I'd love to see metal and rock get picked up more. I'd especially love to see the underutilized metal rap like in Rage Against the Machine.

Before this can happen, I think a softer rock has to enter the mainstream. We need newer bands similar to Steely Dan, the Dire Straits, or more artists like Jack White.
>>
>>73786762
Hell, even look at Andromeda from Gorillaz. That's the direction it's going. Whether it's a minor revival or an entire industry shift all depends on the new artists coming in, innovation, and the reception received.
>>
>>73786811
Yeah, I look forward to that happening in the future. Honestly at this point in time, I'm alright with rock/metal's place in the music world as an underground thing mostly.

I have plenty of friends in bands who play our own low-level shows, and have an entire local scene, with people like Mac and Wavves and such as our mid-level rock gods. As an older person it'd be fun to see a mainstream rock/metal comeback, I'm willing to wait for it.

For rap metal specifically, honestly if xxxtentacion makes it big I think it could happen relatively soon
>>
>>73786871
Death Grips also dipped their toes in "rap metal" with their last couple albums. They've blended punk and hip-hop their whole discography, I wonder if that will ever influence some people in the coming decade
>>
>>73786889
I mean, if you're one of those people that says Yeezus is Kanye trying to do Death Grips (whether or not you think he succeeds or fails) you could say it's already happening to some extent.

I think the current snapshot of trap is going to be really short lived and look super dated relatively soon, and maybe there'll be a backlash torwards that, whether in terms of hip hop or popular music in general, though I'm not sure what that would look like.
>>
>>73786861
Gorillaz is a relatively unpopular band. If we want to analyze trends, we should look at more popular, Top 40 artists.

Right now I think the trend is a more refined and poppy electronic with vocals, a la Chainsmokers or Calvin Harris. That and trap rap/whatever Drake does.
>>
>>73786916
I honestly love where hip hop is going. A lot of the mainstream trap is fun and listenable albiet a little repetitive, but the rest of the genre is so varied and experimental. Even if you don't like arrtists like Danny Brown or Travis Scott, you gotta admit they're doing their own thing and it's refreshing.
>>
>>73786957
To be honest I don't follow a lot of hip hop artists, I'm mostly a rock person, and I wanna be open to it but I guess I don't know what I should start with.

But yeah, diversity within a scene is the best. I wish some of my preferred genres like doom/sludge metal and stuff were being that forward-thinking.
>>
>>73786986
Let me know if you want some recs my guy, I'm a pretty big hip hop fan and I unironically think these past 4-5 years have been the golden age of the genre. Even better than the 90s
>>
>>73786934
Fair enough. Good indication of forward trends:
>Katy Perry- Swish Swish
>Childish Gambino- Redbone
>The Killers- The Man
>The Weeknd- I Feel It Coming
>Arcade Fire- Signs of Life or Everything Now
>Harry Styles- Sign of the Times
>Bruno Mars- His entire last album
>Calvin Harris- Slide or Rollin
>>
>>73787061
The bar has been set very low for rap nowadays. Now anyone can be a rapper if they just make noises in rhythm over a hot beat. I think this is the lowest point in rap history from a quality perspective.
>>
>>73787115
For the mainstream? Yes, I agree, the quality of lyrics and MCs in general have declined. But it's ironically opened the door for more experimentation and weird ass artists to make it big. Would someone like Lil Yachty or Chance The Rapper be popular in the early 2000s? Hell no. I don't even like either of those guys, but I'm glad that they got over using their own style.
>>
>>73787061
I'd appreciate that. It might sound plebby, but I fucking adore Life of Pablo. I'm 100% one of those people that thinks the way its fractured and perfectly-imperfect makes it a super interesting listen, like an early Zappa album almost. Is there any other hip hop that's just weird or texturally varied like that? Or more quality rap rock/rap metal like tentacion would be cool. And of course anything else you think is really top notch that I should see if I like regardless would be good to hear
>>
>>73787061
I'd love to hear your favorites. Tell me if I'm missing anyone good. Here's some I like.

>J Cole
>Kendrick Lamar
>The Physics
>Anderson Paac
>Joey Badass
>DJ Shadow
>Run The Jewls
>Frank Ocean
>Jeremih
>Danny Brown
>Ab Soul
>Chance The Rapper
>Flatbush Zombies
>Tribe Called Quest
>Sam Lachow
>Lil Dicky
>Clipping
>Myke Bogan
>Vince Staples
>Earl Sweatshirt
>Hilltop Hoods
>Drake
>Louis Logic
>Dave B
>The Good Husbands
>>
>>73787171
>>73787209

A lot of this is pretty /mu/core, but regardless these are my favorite hip hop projects from the last decade that are all worth a listen (no particular order):

>Danny Brown - Atrocity Exhibition
>Death Grip's entire discography if you haven't checked it out already
>Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
>Flatbush Zombies - BetteroffDead
>Injury Reserve - Floss
>Freddie Gibbs - Pinata
>Curren$y - Pilot Talk II
>Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid
>Joey Bada$$ - B4 Da $$$
>Denzel Curry - Imperial
>Isaiah Rashad - The Sun's Tirade
>Mick Jenkins - The Waters
>Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2
>The Underachievers - Evermore: The Art of Duality
>>
Regression™
>>
>>73787259
The Healing Component was disappointing after The Waters desu, I had such high hopes
>>
It'll all be enya style and show tunes
>>
>>73786447
That's how "innovation" in music has always been
Just about every new genre ever created is an old genre with a little twist.
>>
>>73786916
>I think the current snapshot of trap
what would you say that is? trap has been in the mainstream since like 2012, and i have noticed there's been a change in the general tone of it, but i can't really put my finger on it. right now it seems less raw and more "artsy" i guess.
>>
>>73788041
>it seems less raw and more "artsy" I guess

This is pretty true. Compare 3 years ago when guys like Chief Keef and Kevin Gates were huge, to now where you've got weirdos like Lil Yachty and Lil Uzi Vert getting popular.

As much as I despise the term, I think there is a shift towards those of the "mumble rap" persuasion in trap.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.