[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was Jethro Tull's greatest album and why was it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_2232.jpg (101KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2232.jpg
101KB, 500x500px
What was Jethro Tull's greatest album and why was it Songs From the Wood?
>>
>>73772510
true. bump
>>
File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
This Was [Island, 1969]

Ringmaster Ian Anderson has come up with a unique concept that combines the worst of Arthur Brown, Roland Kirk, and your local G.O. blues band. I find his success very depressing. C-

Stand Up [Island, 1969]

Fans of the group think it's a great album. I am not a fan of the group. I think it is an adequate album. B-

Benefit [Island, 1970]

Ian Anderson is the kind of guy who conducts himself with a principled arrogance that has little if anything to do with his musical accomplishments. He does admittedly have one great gift--he knows how to deploy riffs. Nearly every song on this album is constructed around a good one, sometimes two, and after a couple of listens you'll have practically the entire thing memorized. But I defy you to recall any lyrics. For all his careful en-un-ci-ation and attention to wordcraft, Anderson creates the impression that he can't/won't care about his chief theme, which I take to be love/privacy/friendship or something of that nature. The verbiage isn't especially obscure, but it does make it very hard to concentrate. I'm sure I hear at least one satirical exegesis on the generation gap though. B-
>>
Aqualung [Island, 1971]

Ian Anderson is like the town freethinker. As long as you're stuck in the same small town as him, his inchoate cultural interests and skeptical views on organized religion and human nature come off as refreshing. Meet up with him in the big city however and he's just a bore. Of course, he can also be Bob Dylan--it all depends on whether he abandoned provincial values out of a search for something more or out of a more axial (and somatic) negativity. And whether he was arrogant simply because he didn't know any better. C+

Thick as a Brick [Island, 1972]

Ian Anderson is the type of guy who'll tell you on one album that a whole side is one theme and then tell you on the next that the whole album is one song. The usual shit--rock (getting heavier), folk (getting feyer), classical (getting schlockier), flute (getting better because it has no choice), words. C-

Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies [1990s]
>>
>>73772579
He saw Jethro Tull live in the early 70s and wrote about how it was depressing to sit there and hear some guy with a guitar bitching about society and organized religion for three hours and he'd rather see the Rolling Stones who at least were capable of having fun.
>>
>>73772568
>>73772560
Christgrau is and was an old faggot whose loathing for Jethro Tull was all in all thanks to his dearth of capacity for most everything he wouldn't fancy himself listening to as a 20 year old beatnik or wasn't designed precisely for easy listening. To think his slant of any worth is stupid, let alone 40 years after the fact and when it's the furthest thing from called for. Fuck off.
>>
>>73772568
Christgrau figured he could draw direct parallels between Bob Dylan and Jethro Tull. His opinion was and still is worthless.

>>73772599
Sounds like bullshit to me. There was nothing Ian and company were better known for than flamboyant and elaborate stage performances. Whatever qualms Ian had for society would've been blighted by all the weird shit going on on stage.
>>
>>73772647
I get the impression he lets his wife influence him a little too much. There's no other explanation for giving Rumours an A.
>>
>>73772568
>people actually think christgau is a good bait
when will this summer end
>>
>>73772510
i fucking love this album so much oh my god i listened to it first like 4 months ago and have been just going to the woods and smoking pot and listening exclusively to this album in there holy shit you faggot do you understand? i love this album
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgUw6t3b6oE

amaze. its like this guys not real
>>
File: 181959.jpg (8KB, 183x200px) Image search: [Google]
181959.jpg
8KB, 183x200px
>>73772568
Is it normal to not understand most of his reviews?
>>
>>73773521
I get what he's trying to say, even if it's slightly hypocritical of him to criticize Ian Anderson for obscure verbiage.
>>
>>73772568
wtf i hate andersen now
>>
>>73772510
It is objectively Thick as a Brick. Songs from the Wood has a couple of really great tracks though.

>>73772568
>flute (getting better because it has no choice)
Kek, that's probably fair.
>>
>>73773426
I heard Jethro Tull was supposed to play at the first Woodstock, but they declined because Ian Anderson disliked hippies.

>“didn’t want to spend [his] weekend in a field of unwashed hippies”
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.