[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Dan Barrett really depressed when he made Deathconsciousness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: Dan.jpg (144KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Dan.jpg
144KB, 768x1024px
Was Dan Barrett really depressed when he made Deathconsciousness and or was he merely pretending.

Also for his solo album Giles Corey, is it necessary to read the booklet to fully appreciate the album? It is 100+ page long so I don't want to waste my time reading it. What is /mu/'s experience with this?
>>
no, his dad died and his girlfriend left him while he was going through a mental breakdown

he was not well then...
>>
Who isn't or hasnt been depressed at some point. Its not that hard to imagine he was.
>>
read the enemies list blog around when deathconsciousness came out, the answer will be very clear
>>73766447
the difference is dan actually turned his life around it seems
>>
>>73766479
He did get married but that doesn't guarantee he isn't still depressed. Hopefully he is doing a lot better than back then though.
>>
Modern anxiety and depression is a meme
>>
>>73766533
It's not a meme, it's a symptom of a society built on excess and the desirability of excess
>>
from what i can tell, he was definitely in a dark place at the time, but you can tell there was still some hope in the music. i didn't get anything from reading the stuff that went with DC, but i'm not sure about giles corey.
>>73766533
>>73766582
it's both. not to be a le wrong generation or whatever, but it is a symptom of society. people are also too quickly to jump to medication, or worse, self medication. people also get in "it's chemicals in your brain, you can't do anything about it" and defeatist mindsets. but when you mention it, they sperg out.
>>
>>73766907
Yeah I think you're right. 90% of the time someone has clinical depression it's got nothing to do with serotonin or dopamine, just their lifestyle and outlook on the world. Throwing SSRI's at everyone who feels a little blue is like trying to fix a leaking bucket of water by just putting more water in it.
>>
>>73766533
>"i'm clinically retarded"

>>73767309
>90% of the time someone has clinical depression it's got nothing to do with serotonin or dopamine, just their lifestyle and outlook on the world.

please tell me where you got that statistic
>>
>>73765239
>Also for his solo album Giles Corey, is it necessary to read the booklet to fully appreciate the album? It is 100+ page long so I don't want to waste my time reading it. What is /mu/'s experience with this?

OP here, can someone answer me this?
>>
>>73767352
>please tell me where you got that statistic
they're obviously being hyperbolic dude
>>
Dan's Dad died so he channeled that into the album, particularly The Big Gloom.
>>
>>73767364
It's interesting but not necessary, it helps with understanding the tone. Besides it's a short read.
>>
>>73767352
not him, but if you are depressed and you KNOW WHY you feel depressed, then you do NOT need pills and you can fix it with a few lifestyle changes.

for example, if you are depressed because you are fat or you think you are ugly, or because you don't have a girlfriend, that has NOTHING to do with chemical inbalances in your brain. that kind of depression is your body's NATURAL reaction to a problem. when you fix those problems, or at least make them less of a problem, your mental health will significantly improve. taking pills will not solve any of those problems, you're just going to numb yourself out while still feeling like a piece of shit.

now that doesn't mean that chemical inbalances don't exist. some people literally need pills because their brains are fucked up. but as the other anon said, most people are depressed because they're either missing something or they have a problem to fix.
>>
>>73766907
>people also get in "it's chemicals in your brain, you can't do anything about it" and defeatist mindsets

From what I've gathered, this factoid actually has the opposite effect on suffers.

Alot of people (including me) believe that a chemical imbalance is a measurable malady that can be cured with proper medicine.

>>73767399
So it holds no water.
>>
>>73767505
This is a bit of an oversimplification.

1. People's depression can worsen due to outside stimuli (or other mental illnesses). Therefore it's easy to assume that one's depressive state wholly derives from something which only served as an agitator.

2. People who are officially diagnosed with depression have usually triumphed over difficulties in their life, but still found themselves in a depressive state afterwards. Psychologists are aware of the difference between regular human sadness and clinical depression, and are trained to pick the two apart.
>>
>>73767512
>From what I've gathered, this factoid actually has the opposite effect on suffers.
maybe. from personal experience, i've noticed a lot of people with "depression" or "anxiety" (i added quotation marks because some were diagnosed, others weren't, and others i have no idea) that i know say things like "i couldn't get out of bed to do this or that" and then say it's the depression stopping them. i know it's horrible, whether it's from chemical or experiences, but your not paralyzed. you can move. and the people that try medication alone and do nothing else, end up saying that there's no hope and just give up.
>So it holds no water.
they were probably saying that, from their own anecdotal evidence, a majority of people they met with depression are because of their lifestyle choices. while they were being hyperbolic, and going off of personal experience, anecdotal evidence isn't useless.
>>
>>73766515
Not just married, but married with two kids and vlogs about positvity or some shit with other members of small businesses. A man like that isn't going to write another Earthmover.
>>
Dan almost definitely isn't as depressed as before. But The Unnatural World is just as powerful and dark as any other HANL/Giles Corey project, and some songs are the best he's done like Burial Society. People forget that Dan is a good musician, his depression didn't make any of his albums, his skill and dedication did.

>>73767364
You can read it while listening to the album, it seems like every chapter is a song on the album. It's interesting and makes the album more memorable.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.