[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a point where eclectic tastes in music gets too eclectic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: images-236.jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images-236.jpg
6KB, 300x168px
Is there a point where eclectic tastes in music gets too eclectic for your own good?
>>
not as long as you can back it up with your knowledge
>>
I wish I could still have surprised 'what the fuck am I listening to' reactions to music sometimes. I feel like I could find enjoyment in most everything that's remotely interesting and that's not a feeling I like.
>>
No, as long as you actually do listen to all of it/enjoy all of it. Basically, don't be that one guy that has a bunch of pop albums and a few albums from other genres that only listens to the pop and has the other genres to claim that he has an eclectic taste
>>
>>73748267
only "drawback" is being accused of listening to it for the sake of being weird. I had my stuff on shuffle at work & someone actually said that. Which is bullshit...yes it is actually possible to jump genre by genre & enjoy it all & not playing it for peoples reactions
>>
>>73748267
sophistication has a price
humans are lowly programmed animals
race gender sex whatever is inconsequential
>welcome to hell
>>
>>73748322
This

I'm in a metal band and I get a shit load of negative comments from other bands, even members, for being a "poseur" cause I got into metal late and listen to lots of kind of music. Think I might quit and start do a one-man band project anyway. Problem with listening to lots of music is that it can give you lots of ideas. People who JUST listen to one genre tend to be kinda narrow-minded and not that open to stuff, to be honest.
>>
File: 1381624105960[1].jpg (62KB, 496x501px) Image search: [Google]
1381624105960[1].jpg
62KB, 496x501px
>>73748357
nigga are you for real
>>
File: stupid.jpg (30KB, 552x369px) Image search: [Google]
stupid.jpg
30KB, 552x369px
>>73748453
>>
>>73748487
my dude, you hardly answered the question because you were so busy sniffing your own farts next to these "lowly programmed animals"
You've just discovered atheism I presume?
>>
>>73748546
>atheism xD
not him but wew
>>
>>73748322
Op here, Ive seen people who are into anything from powerviolence to simon and garfunkel, gypsy jazz to lana del ray and krautrock to drone and upbeat electronica to black metal; and would listen to all of these genres in a single week! I have no words for tastes like these and were i a lesser pleb, id easily make the assumption that people like this are listening to music just for the sake of it.
>>
>>73748592
It honestly isn't that hard to enjoy. I have both HNW and Christopher Cross in my library, you just have to find something that you like in it, then focus on that.
>>
>>73748546
i'm not your anything.
what question was not answered specifically?
>just discovered atheism?
you are dumb to presume anything at all but generally are also stupid
>>
>>73748592
Op again; Of course this guy listens to a ton of rap too.
>>
>>73748357
Op here. Wtf are you even trying to say?
>>
>>73748625
But are you as eclectic as the dude I described?
>>
>>73748684
if you can't understand what I wrote you are also stupid

run along
>>
>>73748709
Yeah (maybe more, don't know for sure), those were just two extreme examples (picked them for their positions at opposite ends of the spectrum)
>>
>>73748727
Thats rich, coming from a guy who uses no punctuation at all.
>>
>>73748744
Im sure the more things you list, the more confused I will get.
>>
>>73748357
embarrassing
>>
>>73748786
>"that's rich"
yuppie slang
>>73748833
hope your family dies in a fire
>>
>>73749942
Learn how to communicate, fucktard. Get off the drugs before "the voices" tell you to do something bad.
>>
So long as you actually like what you listen to, I'd say keep doing you.
>>
For me it feels that way. Sure, during high school and college I had all the time in the world to explore. Afterwards, it's like "oh wow, most of this popular music crap is actually very samey when you break it down", and then you combine that with the fact that you don't have the same kind of free time to listen to everything in the world. Then you reduce your listening to art music, jazz, experimental electronic music, traditional folk, and whatever visceral popular music that gets you through the day (hip hop, dancey electronic music, punk, or metal because all others are inferior to these.)
>>
If you feel this way, I suggest trying to make some of your own music. If there's nothing out there that sounds like what you want, maybe you need to make it yourself.
>>
>>73751300
Op here. I never considered it but free time seems to be a huge factor; good point. Im struggling to find time to branch to jazz let alone anything inferior!
>>
File: fedora.png (129KB, 186x264px) Image search: [Google]
fedora.png
129KB, 186x264px
>>73748357
holy fucking shit dude
>>
>>73748592
>krautrock to drone
Pick one. Never heard Faust's album with Tony Conrad? Shit's fucking LIT
>>
Since I've finished undergrad school, and have no more opportunities to meet new interesting people in my preferred age range, I feel like a jackass that my current favorite albums are In Praise of Learning, The Faust Tapes, and Koenjihyakkei's Ni. If people at work play music near me, I just don't talk about it. One guy asked what I listen to (presumably to play something on Spotify), and I just waved it away by saying I feel I'd get distracted by the music or something. (My real reason is that I can't stand single songs outside of album order, and also that I am edgy enough to have played GY!BE and Swans at parties in underclassman uni parties before)

Pretty sure majoring in Literature was a mistake, not because of DUDE JOB SECURITY LMAO, but because it turned out no one knows what the fuck I'm talking about if I namedrop /lit/-core, nor if I try to steer the subject of conversation toward music, to be more accessible, only to find out people still listen to melodic metalcore bands from the 2010 iteration of Hot Topic's band tee shelves. What's worse is that people in my English program never really discussed literature outside of class anyway, but that's not relevant to this board. The point is, no one adjacent to me has shown any level of interest beyond p4k-approved buzz bands. At least I like Kendrick enough to be able to discuss his work with others
>>
>>73750012
i've been clear during your childish 'clowning'
midtown yupster internet loser crew
you brought me here remember?
like i'm here to be 'cool' with you?
i'm not in your stupid clique
pack of paranoid groupthink failures
>fucktard
Yuppies

>>73751740
stupid
>fedora jokes are for the stupidest parts of the internet only
>>
File: dork in the shell .png (302KB, 557x540px) Image search: [Google]
dork in the shell .png
302KB, 557x540px
>>73748267
who's that dork?
>>
>>73752247
Something is worth listening to for you can get out of it, not for what it tells other people about you.

Also most college students have no idea why they picked their major. You can't expect to have a decent conversation with anyone who isn't at least in grad school.
>>
>>73752373
>>fedora jokes are for the stupidest parts of the internet only
you must be saying this because you get memed with fedoras like every 15 minutes
>>
>>73752421
My Shirow baybes
>>
>>73752421
Oh if you meant that ... thing its from that new Gabriel Dropout show a few seasons back. Im an anime poseur who circulates dumb faces without knowing who half the characters are.
>>
>>73752373
Are you seriously rapping on my thread now??? How cringe can you get?
>>
>>73752634
I'm also a pleb apparently cause I though that was Nene
>>
>>73752541
no
>>73752650
no
>>
>>73748301
what about this tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL-B_Qfj30o&t=635s
>>
>>73752658
What how XD the colours there are too flat to be anything retro.
>>
>>73752976
I mean nene from koukaku no Pandora
>>
>>73752979
How cute :3 would watch.
>>
>>73753014
it's not necessarily worth a watch, and it's kinda weird
>>
>>73753018
If my music tastes are a bit narrow, then my anime tastes are the opposite. I disapprove of listening to something just to make me look 'eclectic' but id watch any anime that looks creative and entertaining.
>>
>>73753051
>that looks creative and entertaining
>>
>>73753066
Anime mostly is.
>>
>>73748267
I'm struggling to find anything new thats exciting or fresh at this point. kind of sucks
>>
>>73753091
I havent the time to keep up to date but if anything anime seems to slowly be getting better in recent years compared to the otakushit days of the early 2010s.
I liked Kemono Friends but that was the only show I saw for that season.
>>
>>73753115
same bro
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.