[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you know when a song is complete shit? I'd like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 1456525488692.png (91KB, 279x181px) Image search: [Google]
1456525488692.png
91KB, 279x181px
How do you know when a song is complete shit?
I'd like to know what are the details you notice in order to come to the conclusion that the song is complete shit.

In some songs I can't really tell how shitty it is in terms of production.
>>
>>73745371
bumperino
>>
>>73745371
I don't judge music for its production, rather for its writing.
>>
All songs with an obvious hook that tries too hard to be catchy and ends up being annoying to listen more than once with meaningless lyrics and "trendy" sound in the percussion (see:most 80's and 2010's pop songs) are pretty lame.
>>
>>73745955
we got the power, for example?
>>
>>73745371
we all know there's no real answer for this
>>
>>73745371
If an artist's attempted goal is clear, and you can tell that they failed to achieve that goal, you have a shit song. In other cases, it becomes more subjective, and any attempt to quantify it is bullshit.
>>
>>73745371
if you dont enjoy listening to it
>>
Genericism, anything following the blueprint of a genre already played tf out, or a band playing to their standard blueprint, Metallica's Death Magnetic is a p good example.
Cringy lyrics are another one, or lyrics that are obviously pandering, see Disturbed - Fire it up.
>>
>>73745955
>lyrics
>important
stay in your philosphy board, fag >>>/lit/
>>
>>73745371
i think its a combination of factors, rarely ever one thing. For me writing is a huge aspect, and I'm not just talking about lyrics. chord progression/voicing and arranging play a large part in making something simple sound unique. Production for me is more of the cherry on top, though a rather large cherry, it usually doesnt spoil the entire sundae unless there is a clear and present lack of creativity and under production.
>>
>>73746236
they are important, thought they dont always have to be. dont try to fool yourself into thinking you enjoy listening to bad lyrics rebbecca black.
>>
>>73746236
If you don't care about lyrics, why not just listen to instrumentals with a lead synth or something?
>>
>>73746293
music it goes separated from lyrics, they are never important, if the lyrics are corny or bad it just mean that are bad, it doesnt ruin the song for me. Music doesnt need people talking funny over it. If the song of RB was interesting musically speaking, i wouldnt have problem.
>>73746403
I wish my favorite bands wouldnt have singers desu
e.g i like The Smiths but i really dislike when the dude use a nasal voice with some dull, corny, probably gay reference, lyrics.
>>
>>73746236
I can forgive mediocre/cringe lyrics if there's a neat vocal melody/performance behind them or the tone of the song actually calls for it, but otherwise they can potentially ruin any good pop/rock song, bonus points for having the vocals as the loudest thing in the mix.
>>
>>73746131
I heard some people complain about this song, I know something is off about it.

But I still can't figure out exactly WHAT is wrong with it.
>>
>>73745371
ask your doctor
>>
test
>>
>>73745371
Honestly the worst thing an musician can do IMO is doing stuff he hates.
Besides that there's no absolutes with me, i used to hate 10% of my favorite music and the rest caught me by surprise.
>>
File: IMG_7182.png (437KB, 691x516px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7182.png
437KB, 691x516px
>>73746131
I will attack and you don't want that
>>
>>73745955
This
Also, starting the song with the chorus is so fucking stupid.
>>
>>73745371
''motivational'' pop songs make me sick. there's something disturbingly totalitarian about songs like Pharrell's 'Happy'. cue stock 'normal people' dancing and being happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn676-fLq7I
>>
>>73745371
When they use that fucking "HEY" vocal sample.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.