[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What equalizer settings are best for general listening, especially

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_3088.jpg (38KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3088.jpg
38KB, 750x750px
What equalizer settings are best for general listening, especially loud listening?
>>
>>73721968
none
don't fuck with the eq if you don't know shit about it.
thats whats the label pays ppl to master/mix for .
>>
>>73721980
>boosts and cuts frequencies to change the experience of the music

what else is there to know? I'm using the simplified spotify EQ anyway
>>
>>73721998
then experiment with it yourself.
>>
>>73721998
If you're not using an analog equalizer, then there's barely any point
>>
>>73722005
Fair enough, I'm really indecisive and it changes a lot with different albums so I thought I'd see what other people prefer to give different settings a shot.
>>
thread pic is the setting I use also known as the "rock" eq setting, mostly for long listing periods or when I want to play music louder since it muffles the mids a bit which makes it less harsh.
>>
>>73721968
max out everything
>>
>>73721968
Flat you double nigger
>>
File: Untitled.png (6KB, 571x641px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
6KB, 571x641px
The only correct way of listening to music honestly.
>>
>>73721968
ultimately it depends on what speakers/headphones you're using
an eq like this (scooping mids/ boosting bass and treble) makes it more fatiguing on the ears over time
>>
>>73722851
this
>>
>>73722851
>not just putting a high pass filter on anything below 20khz
Bad taste
>>
>>73721968
You should really only have to fuck with eq settings if you have a shitty speaker.
>>
>>73721968
Music producers spend years, decades even to be able to perfect a mix of a certain song, mixing and balancing the frequencies ever so slightly just so it sounds as perfect as possible.
Than you come around and slap a big fuck off EQ on top of everything like you know better than the producer who mixed that track.

Please don't do that. Most of the time you just raise the volume with the EQ and when you compare you think it sounds better just because with the EQ on everything is a bit louder, which seems as "better".
The only reasonable situation to actually use an equaliser is if your room acoustics are so fucked that you actually need to tame the lower frequencies or whatever the room needs. But in 99% of the cases you shouldn't do anything.
>>
File: 6123EInXGSL._SL1081_.jpg (73KB, 1081x1070px) Image search: [Google]
6123EInXGSL._SL1081_.jpg
73KB, 1081x1070px
this is the only correct answer
>>
>>73723244
This is a shit argument. You're not listening in the same studio, on the same equipment, at the same level. You don't have the same tastes. It's not like it's sacred and perfect.

That said, applying the same EQ curve to everything you listen to is stupid.
>>
Dont touch the EQ. if you really wanna tweak the EQ for each different song playing sure go ahead have fun.
>>
>>73723879

holy fucking shit i was just about to say that, kek good stuff
>>
>>73724117
Also forgot to mention there is no fucking universal setting. Dont touch it.
>>
>>73721968
don't mess with the EQ unless you know your speaker response.. even then i wouldn't do it unless your speakers are complete shit
>>
>>73724163
>Also forgot to mention there is no fucking universal setting.
aside from correcting the frequency response of headphones or speakers
>>
File: 1DLFTEa.jpg (78KB, 606x722px) Image search: [Google]
1DLFTEa.jpg
78KB, 606x722px
Trust me, I'm a professional with sound.
>>
>>73721968
i mean that depends on a lot
like the type of music
headphones or speakers
what headphones specifically
>>
>>73722851
Fucking kill yourself
>>
>>73721968
>especially loud listening
earplugs
>>
>>73722372
why not just turn the volume up?
>>
>>73724343
>shit taste plebonoid gets angry when his retarded way of listening to music gets challenged
Dude trust me, I'm a professional. You're a fucking nobody.
>>
>>73724372
Depending on the way the equalizer works, boosting every band isn't equivalent to turning the volume up. Instead it messes up the frequency and phase response.
>>
>>73724323
What if someone has shitty beats? Would they touch the EQ?
>>
>>73724440
they would bass reduce
>>
>>73724322
kek
>>
>>73724322
lmao
and cringe
but mostly lmao
>>
>>73722851
>no midrange

Nigga wat. Do you not listen to music with guitars
>>
>>73724394
How the fuck can you assume my job? Do you even know that I'm the one who connects the speakers to the audio jack in studios like Interscope and Warp? I made the digital tapes and downloaded the backing slapjoint vocals on Metallica's albums.
>>
>>73724322
Without the high boost it sounds kinda tubey. I can see how this would sound good with iphone earbuds.
>>
>>73721968
OP here again, what about no EQ at all? Would that be better than flat EQ?

Thank you all for contributing
>>
>>73724526
Did you just assume i dont know your job? I personally recorded and mixed every single song youve ever heard in the past 30 years in my garage you dont know shit about music you pleb ive have the beatles tell me how good my production is go and ask john lennon he will say i was the greatest hes ever coem across, and you know freddie murcurey? he personally reccomended my production to the queen so before you talk kid just think about who might be on this board
>>
File: stu2.jpg (18KB, 506x533px) Image search: [Google]
stu2.jpg
18KB, 506x533px
>>73724521
>current year
>listening to music with guitars
>>
>>73724526
I walked Daft Punk into the recording studio. Who the fuck are you? Like I said, a nobody. And you should learn to keep your fucking mouth shut you goddamn cocksucker. I'm here revealing industry studios and helping people to better equalise their music and you're here being a disrespectful piece of shit.
>>
>>73722030
No shit it changes with different albums. Thats what people pay engineers for.
>>
File: 9213658.jpg (38KB, 390x470px) Image search: [Google]
9213658.jpg
38KB, 390x470px
>>73723969
>not listening in the same studio
>not listening on the same equipment
>Dont have the same taste
>>
>>73723969
Proper mixes of tracks are regularly tested on multiple audio systems including cars, cheap speakers, mono speakers, phones everything. When a producer mixes a track he mixes it to sound the best possible on every system possible including headphones, a club sound system or your fucking toaster whatever, not just on his monitors.
>>
>>73724652
Flat EQ is the same as not having the EQ at all.
>>
>>73725070
Okay...
>>
>>73725469
Just don't use it at all. The only use of an overall EQ I can think of is if you have some shitty bass boosting headphones so you turn the lower frequencies down a bit.
>>
>>73725506
Thank you, I'll take your word for it.

My headphones are shitty but I love my music loud and I like having a slight boost in the highest and lowest frequencies but flattening the scoop seems to improve sound quality.

I have shitty beats.
>>
>>73725576
If you have beats than more than likely your headphones already have a similar EQ curve built in, which is why they are known as shitty bass boosters. Throwing an additional EQ just like that is making the sound only worse, as I said you would benefit more if you actually cut the lower and upper higher frequencies down (or better get rid of those headphones alltogether and get some sennheisers/audio technica).

If you like listening "loud", then just turn the volume up. That would be the logical step, not to alter the sound of every track.
>>
>>73725714
That's very useful insight. Any recommendations for some high quality headphones?
>>
>>73725858
The usual industry standard are the Audio Technica ATH-M50 or the Beyerdynamic DT 770, you can't go wrong with either of them really, you'll find almost unanimous 10/10 reviews for them online.
>>
>>73722851
>>73724521
or drums
or vocals
or anything with midrange
>>
>>73724702
>people have said this for years
>>
>>73725990
>needing midrange
>caring about vocals
Shit quality audio is audio that focuses on midrange while cutting off the high range. Just listen to any low quality 128kbps encode. It's all mid range garbage. That's why it's shit and why you gotta boost the high end (where all the good sound is) along with the low end as the base while lowering all the shit audio that can be found in the middle. I'll put it in layman terms so you can understand. Midrange is bad sounds because it's found in shit audio. High range is good sounds because it's found in good audio. You boost the good sounds while lowering the bad sounds.
>>
>>73726123
are you memeing niga
>>
>>73726123
Now this is how you bait.
For the small chance of you actually being retarded and serious, didn’t you think that the person who mixed the track already did all of that work before releasing the song to the public?
>>
>>73726166
>didn’t you think that the person who mixed the track already did all of that work before releasing the song to the public?
He did but then when music gets released it gets compressed, you fucking idiot. So unless you walk to the fucking studio and get all your music straight from there you'll have to boost all the shit that, you guessed it, GOT COMPRESSED, you fucking mouthbreather.
>>
>>73726202
Jesus christ I really hope you are baiting.
Who do you think does the compression? The track get's mixed then mastered, the compression is applied in the studio already, do you think the compression/limiting is magically added afterwards?
And what does that have to do with scooping out the mids?

This has to be bait, here's my last (You)
>>
>>73726282
Of course it's applied afterwards you fucking idiot. What are you gonna do, compress something before it even exists? Are you genuinely retarded or just a very talented actor?
>>
>>73721968
Whatever sounds good
>>
>>73726158
>>73726166
Stop shitting up my fucking board you morons. Fuck back to red-dit
>>
>>73721968
unless you want to listen better to a specific instrument (i.e. boosting the lows to hear the bass better) just leave it flat.
>>
>>73726368
no you fuck back to redit

i am a real nigga and you are nothing but a virgin cunt
>>
>>73724322
Seems pretty close to what I do for older rock music.
>>
>>73726123
i'm surprised you even got (you)s, anon. nice bait, i'm gonna use this in the /prod/ threads.
>>
None. Music isn't meant to be listened to with an EQ over it. I only use an EQ depending on if the headphones I'm using have certain frequencies boosted.
>>
>>73724521
midrange is the worst shot in basketball
>>
File: I Have no Sides and I must kek.jpg (20KB, 250x323px) Image search: [Google]
I Have no Sides and I must kek.jpg
20KB, 250x323px
>>73723879
>>
>>73726606
corner threes are the most satisfying
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.