[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What post rock bands can I listen to that will make /mu/ respect

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

File: Mogwaiyoungteam.jpg (29KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Mogwaiyoungteam.jpg
29KB, 300x300px
What post rock bands can I listen to that will make /mu/ respect me? Every time I post one it gets derided as derivative, unoriginal, or "muh crescendo"core
>>
Do Make Say Think
Tortoise
Slint
Talk Talk
Moonshake
Hex
Cul De Sac
Long Fin Killie

I can keep going...
>>
>needing /mu/'s respect

You are better than this anon
>>
>>73719657
Don't even look for respect in general
>>
>>73719779
>>73719963
this is what's wrong with this website now.

you guys say this, so instead of looking for better post-rock bands, this guys gonna just keep shitposting Explosions and Caspian over and over and never discover anything new.

Sometimes people need to lurk more and learn new things before they post. It's not about earning respect, it's about learning meaningful things to post.

but fuck just give everyone a trophy and congratulate them on their shit-taste. forget about trying to help them discover more music
>>
>>73719750
>Hex

Bark Psychosis?
>>
>>73720051
Yep the album that started the post-rock moniker.
>>
>>73719750
>tortoise, slint and talk talk are the same genre
define post-rock.
>>
>>73720164
>Post-rock is a form of experimental rock characterized by the influence and use of instruments commonly associated with rock music, but using rhythms and "guitars as facilitators of timbre and textures" not traditionally found in rock.
>>
>>73720197
>but using rhythms and "guitars as facilitators of timbre and textures" not traditionally found in rock
Oh cool.
Pic related is my favourite post-rock album btw.
>>
>>73720260
woops, forgot picture
>>
I fail to see what sets post-rock apart from prog
>>
>>73720291
Depending on the band they can be pretty similar but a lot of prog rock uses "timbre and textures" traditionally found in rock.
>>
>>73719657
Early Mogwai, first wave post-rock (talk talk, etc), everything related to gy!be, etc.
/mu/ hates cinematic OST-bait post-rock like new mogwai and sigur ros (and rightfully so, they are pathetic)
>>
>>73720260
>>73720268
Could be
>>
>>73720613
>/mu/ hates Sigur Rós
Speak for yourself, Agaertis Byrjun is GOAT
>>
>>73720613
explosions in the sky is also ost bait post rocc
>>
Windsor Airlift is the only correct answer
>>
>>73720637
And in that case it's neither a genre nor evean a term that means anything whatsoever. Literally a meaningless buzzword.
>>
>>73720701
You are a meaningless buzzword
>>
File: egoecho.jpg (201KB, 1000x1000px)
egoecho.jpg
201KB, 1000x1000px
>>73719657
>>
>>73720666
ayygaetis byrjun is probably their only good album

>>73720687
ost bait post rock

>late mogwai
>late sigur ros
>explosions in the sky
>god is an astronaut
>maybeshewill
>65daysofstatic
>anything "crescendocore" released after 2005
>>
>>73720722
boom, got 'im.

>>73720701
are you really surprised that genres overlap? or are you arguing that genre classification should not exist at all?
>>
File: oldbootsnewdirt.png (2MB, 1200x1200px)
oldbootsnewdirt.png
2MB, 1200x1200px
>>73719657
>>
>>73720755
>are you really surprised that genres overlap
No, I'm saying that the description is so vague and meaningless you can just about call anything post-rock or hell, dismiss half his list as not real post-rock. I'm saying post-rock as a genre really only started to exist at second wave.
>>
>>73720749
( ) and Takk... is also good
I think /mu/ contrarians would prefer Von instead, since it's sounds nothing like them. Too dark, and vocals are very reserved
>>
>>73720768
you could say many similar things about pretty much any genre.

which is why you have jackasses on here running around screaming that everything is pop by definition.
>>
>>73720772
Takk... is bretty underrated, but ( ) fucking sucks.
/mu/ only likes AB because p4k told them that it was good
>>
>>73720781
>you could say many similar things about pretty much any genre
Not really and you're being an idiot on purpose just for the sake of argument.
>>
>>73720792
seriously? you are the worst kind of faggot. I am trying to have a conversation and you just want to rant on post rock. who is being an idiot for argument sake?

people like you are why this website fucking sucks. go fuck yourself.
>>
Post-rock turns you guys into dickheads I love it.
Anyone who writes off all post-2000 stuff has only heard shit like god is an astronaut and not anything good
>>
>>73720268
super dank album desu. have you heard the new-ish split with Sinmara
>>
>>73720816
>people like you are why this website fucking sucks
Yeah, it's totally not the kind of people who come into threads discussing post-rock and then shit on anything that actually resembles the genre while saying "these albums that have absolutely nothing in common musically and can't even be classified into a single genre are the only good thing this genre has to offer", or the kind of wankers that instantly resort to absurd reductionism the moment you try to argue with them.
>>
>>73720826
>Anyone who writes off all post-2000 stuff has only heard shit like god is an astronaut and not anything good
Rec some albums then you fucking fag.
>>
>>73720854
>people who come into threads discussing post-rock and then shit on anything that actually resembles the genre

I thought you just argued that the genre shouldn't exist? fuck off.

> instantly resort to absurd reductionism the moment you try to argue with them.
so exactly what you did in your post. ok.

i feel sorry for you and how un-self-aware you are.
>>
>>73720772
Excuse me Kveikur
>>
>>73720875
>I thought you just argued that the genre shouldn't exist
No, I argued that first wave post-rock isn't post-rock.
>so exactly what you did in your post
Not really, no.
>>
File: 1485331125170.png (783KB, 957x1518px)
1485331125170.png
783KB, 957x1518px
Post-rock is literally the end game of music.
Literally nothing will ever come close in conveying feels.
I stopped building my taste around /mu/ when I realized we hate post-rock.
>>
>>73720930
>we
back to r/post_rock
>>
>>73720907
>first wave post-rock isn't post-rock.

obviously it is, or it wouldn't be called post-rock. not sure where your autism is coming from.

>Not really, no.
>Not really and you're being an idiot on purpose just for the sake of argument.
You reduced a disagreeing argument to saying someone was an idiot. yep, you did.
>>
>>73720963
>You reduced a disagreeing argument to saying someone was an idiot
That's not what reductionism means, you fucking idiot.
>you could say many similar things about pretty much any genre.
is.
>>
>>73721060

you are a miserable pedantic person who isn't interested in actual discussion.
Have fun with whatever dick is in your ass making you so retarded and grumpy. I'm done talking to you.
>>
>>73721095
>I'm done making shitty non-arguments and being wrong
Oh no, please don't go
:(
>>
>>73719995
If someone truly wants to discover more music, they can do it without our help
/mu/'s opinion on your taste is absolutely worthless
>>
Rachel's
Cul de Sac
Gastr Del Sol
Yume Bitsu
Bark Psychosis
Disco Inferno
>>
>>73721140
>>73721060
Not him but your arguments are the shitty ones.

You may not have reduced his argument in a classical sense, but you definitely resorted to ad hominem and are acting like a child. Pathetic, anon.
>>
>>73720073
Hex is the album, Bark Psychosis is the band

>>73720787
Agaetys, () and Kveikur are their best albums. Von has some interesting ideas, but is too inconsistent overall. Takk... is their closest to crescendo-core, I'd guess /mu/ would hate it. It's still pretty good tho.
>>
man I miss thesilentballet. acloserlisten really doesn't compare
>>
File: ya blew it.jpg (11KB, 480x360px)
ya blew it.jpg
11KB, 480x360px
>>73721182
>not him but
By the way you have no idea what an ad hominem is either. I thought you were done talking to me, by the way. I mean it's already been established that what you say doesn't mean shit but you could at least try.
>>
>>73721304
>I thought you were done talking to me, by the way
Check the poster count. You are still pathetic and an obvious troll.
>>
the patrician way to like post-rock is to like every wave of it, but of course /mu/ is closed-minded as fuck when it comes to anything that isn't first-wave post-rock. as a result, i wouldn't even bother trying to get respect from /mu/ in that regard.

i like talk talk, tortoise, slint, bark psychosis, mogwai, gy!be, asmz, sigur rós, 65dos, explosions etc. i don't give a shit about some of them being "ost bait post rock" lmao, that's just retarded
>>
>>73721304
People who get autistic about genre labels are annoying. You're right that one label isn't going to completely categorize an artist, but we can string then together and at least give an idea about the sound. In this case, the label post-rock does carry some incomplete information about the artist.
>>
Sigur Ros is basically the logical conclusion of the angelic side of Post-Rock, though Agaetis Byrjun is overrated.

Listen to Takk and Valtari, which to me sounds like heaven incarnated through sound.
Kviiekur is fantastic too, it's a lot more dense and shadow-y though
>>
>>73721575
>the label post-rock does carry some incomplete information about the artist.
What kind? That bands like Slint, Godspeed and Mono use rhythms and textures not found in rock? Or that Swans, Explosions in the Sky and Talk Talk have a similar sound to each other?
>>
>>73721737
fine, post rock is no longer a genre. no one will be allowed to post about it ever again. does that make you happy? Can we move on?
>>
>>73722100
>>73722100
>fine, post rock is no longer a genre
Or maybe, you know. Use it to describe a certain category of music characterized by similarities in form and style. Kind of like second and third wave post-rock, which has similarities in form and style.
>>
>>73722375
that isn't what OP asked for. he asked for post rock that isn't crescendo core. people recommended first-wave post-rock since it's not crescendo core and you had a seizure.

good lord lighten up, you ran this thread into the ground. let's just fucking move on.
>>
>>73722483
>that isn't what OP asked for. he asked for post rock that isn't crescendo core. people recommended something that isn't post rock, and you had the audacity to start an argument about that
I know fuck me right lol
>>
>>73722519
what is post rock to you?

why do you keep claiming everyone else around you is wrong when everyone else agrees on something?

what is your problem? what do you want to call slint and tortoise and etc if you don't want to call them post rock?
>>
>>73719750
>puts do make say think first
good opinion to be honest
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.