[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I into Swans? Thinking of starting with To Be Kind, then

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: to_be_kind.jpg (7KB, 316x316px) Image search: [Google]
to_be_kind.jpg
7KB, 316x316px
How do I into Swans?

Thinking of starting with To Be Kind, then Soundtracks for the Blind, then Filth.
>>
>>73713427
What kinda music do you like the most?
>>
>>73713427
Honestly I would start with The Great Annihilator, a great mix of Swans' goth and industrial period with driving post-punk grooves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY6qjHrJJHQ
>>
>>73713427
Sounds good to me. To Be Kind is easily their best. Their old stuff sounds pretty shitty at first but it's actually good once you give it a minute to seep into your brain.
>>
>>73713451
A difficult question. Mostly 70s prog rock I guess, which I'm not really expecting from Swans
>>
File: Swans_2.0.jpg (918KB, 3754x3394px) Image search: [Google]
Swans_2.0.jpg
918KB, 3754x3394px
have a chart
>>
>>73713596
Well if you can dig heaviness in your proggery, To Be Kind is a good start. I also really like The Great Annihilator.

To get into Swans tho, start with the 60s prog/drone rock band Pärson Sound
>>
>>73713427
>>73713596
Damn, I also was a huge prog fan before getting into Swans, you've got the right 3 albums to start with, but if say to go Filth, To Be Kind, and then Soundtracks for the Blind, then go to The Seer and White Light
>>
>>73713427
Don't
>>
File: 1498338619650.jpg (40KB, 460x606px) Image search: [Google]
1498338619650.jpg
40KB, 460x606px
I would not start with the early 80's stuff like Filth or Cop. That's just bludgeoning, with no melody, very no-wave. If that yanks your plank, go for it, but it's for a good 20-30 minutes, and after a while it just sounds like a migraine, which is maybe the point, whatever.

However, IF you wanna get into the Swans, I'd say go for My Father first, then the Seer. Then the other post-Seer stuff.

I'd steer clear of the late 80's stuff, unless you like being disappointed with cheesy Casio keyboards. That said, The Great Annihilator is a worthy listen. Do not under any circumstances listen to Soundtracks for the Blind unless you fucking love GY!BE but wish they were *more* obtuse.

A fucking brilliant out is 'Swans are Dead'. It's on Spotify. It's a greatest hits of their late 80's, early-mid 90's stuff, but without the studio (being live and all), and it's fucking brutal - so much more so than the studio versions. Hit that, and ignore the proper 80s/90s albums, cos they sound thin and stupid by comparison.

I hope I have helped, anon.
>>
>>73713758
Man now i need the original slam tight piggy image
>>
>>73713758
Like anon said, ignore anything with Jarboe in it. As Thurston Moore taught us, being in a band with your bitch is not a fantastic game plan.
>>
>>73713635
Thank you!

>>73713584
>>73713636
>>73713690
Sounds like To Be Kind was the right choice. I will compromise with >>73713690 and go TBK, Filth, SFTB

>>73713758
The thing is, I have a strange fondness for cheesy Casio keyboards (I own several). This makes me want to listen to their late 80s output.
>>
>>73713939
Bump the Great Annihilator up before soundtracks. It's like an hour shorter and it really helps the ideas and sounds a load
>>
>>73713939
Not saying cheesy keys are bad per se, just in the context of Swans. But hey, go out there and discover, brother!
>>
>>73713969
Okay, will do.
>>
>>73713635
Pretty much this. I started with SftB originally when I first discovered them
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.