[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why is he so overrated? all he's ever done is making industrial

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: 8fb990a9.jpg (101KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
8fb990a9.jpg
101KB, 620x413px
why is he so overrated? all he's ever done is making industrial and metal that is accessible for poptimist plebs
>>
Name one poptimist that listens to NIN.
>>
>>73702215
my sister
>>
>>73702215
Those plebs who only like Pretty Hate Machines
>>
>>73702215
Grimes likes the pop music, that's one person
>>
>>73702231
Grimes does not count as a human being.
>>
File: dmna.jpg (40KB, 346x471px) Image search: [Google]
dmna.jpg
40KB, 346x471px
>making industrial
something something he never did industrial
>>
>>73702215
whan request if that
NIN literally used to be as mainstream as Marilyn Manson
>>73702239
why?
>>
>poptimist

another word that has lost its meaning.
>>
>>73702239
True
>>
I know he's "the" industrial artist (or at least the first one that comes to mind for the average person), but to be honest after pretty hate machine his sound was his own. I understand why people are into industrial don't like him, because he didn't really make industrial. you say he made a more accessible form of the genre, I say he made something different entirely and is one of the best producers of the last 25 years

either way you're gonna have a bad time with music if you get hung up too much on labels and popularity, and buzzwords like poptimism. I can smell your bitterness from here
>>
>>73702256
so did beethoven
>>
>>73702177
Daily reminder accessible does not equal to being worse, nor better.
Also, this thread is a bait, as Trent's body of work has sch a huge ammounts of genres and styles that limiting it to industrial or metal is silly, we are talking about a guy who released 2-3 hours long album purely out of instrumentals, has made ambient track for a first person shooter Quake.
At its core, The Downward Spiral isn't that accesible either, stuff like Closer? Sure? Stuff like The Becoming, Mr. Self Destruct Eraser? Normies would never get into that sort of stuff.

The Fragile is still not all that accesible to many people, what about shit like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvyywDE67tY
It isn't super avant-garde, but calling Trent's entirety of work accessible is silly, it is a good evidence of someone whom is only familliar with Trent's singles or something.
>>
>>73702273
Also, daily reminder Trent never called himself industrial only dumb media did.
>>
>>73702290
How are people still talking about Quake?
>>
i like trent, he is what he is, good old dependable trent
you know where you are with trent
>>
>>73702265
>>73702273
its funny how /mu/ turns completely the other way from thread to thread
nobody would complain about that word in any other thread
so fucking hypocritical
>>73702286
not true btw
>>73702290
>Normies would never get into that sort of stuff.
you are retarded
he literally used to be maisntream
>>
>>73702323
Actually not really, I doubt anyone expected a harhs attack of Not The Actual Events after mellowed out Hesitation Marks
>>
>>73702332
The Downward Spiral was popular for Closer and its other singles, the other tracks are barely talked about.
>>
>>73702360
just like any other mainstream album
>>
>>73702332
it's almost like there are a lot of different people on this board
>>
>>73702177
>yet another fucking Trent thread

thanks, lynch
>>
>>73702472
If you'll just hurry up and make your own album you'll have like 2 threads made, don't worry though, as we all know, it would evolve into Trent thread with just few posts.
>>
>>73702416
yes, there are
but nobody would ever complain about this word in any other thread because normies of /mu/ respect trent and 'poptimist' usually means something bad
>>
>>73702492
what the fuck are you even talking about
>>
>>73702487
>implying I give a shit about your board

go back talking about theTDS headcanon and jerking off to your $80plus limited edition halos
>>
>>73702492
the OP has clearly used it to mean something bad. the real crux of the usage is that he has mislabeled NIN, a musical project which is very much in alignment with rockism, with it.
>>
>>73702533
>implying I give a shit about your board
But Brian, you post in every single Trent thread. Are you okay?
>>
>>73702549
how is any of that your business again?
>>
>>73702526
imagine being this dense
>>73702535
>NIN, a musical project which is very much in alignment with rockism
arent rockists just poptimists who prefer the imagery of 'rock' to the one of 'pop'
>>
>>73702573
C'mon Brian, you are over fourty, we can be mature like this. Don't be like this > https://youtu.be/AKNo3J4daDk?t=1m5s
You are a meme Brian, but we want you to be okay, don't you miss screaming properly in tours? Can you even scream anymore?
>>
>>73702580
>when your brain gets fried by memes
>>
>>73702580
yeah, which is why it makes no sense when applied to a musician that has had little more than a cult following for over a decade. it's the differentiation between pop music and popular music that lends to something being lumped in as one or the other. not a critic trying to show people up so I opt to avoid either term.
>>
>>73702302
to be fair, tvt records released pretty hate machine and it was the dominant industrial label at the time
>>
>>73702594
my screams are just fine, thank you very much

(tickets on sale already for festival season and the winter tour - and the shirts look fucking great too!)
>>
>>73702642
how is this even relevant to my post
there are many people who hate on 'pop' yet listen to the most accessible, shallow and hyped 'rock' which is basically 'pop'
>>73702662
>it's the differentiation between pop music and popular music that lends to something being lumped in as one or the other
I'm not confusing that
trent has always been making pop music that is just a bit edgier than your regular pop
if he didnt have that pop appeal he wouldn't be as popular as he is
>>
>>73702707
Wax Trax were the main one at the time.
>>
>>73702749
>trent has always been making pop music that is just a bit edgier than your regular pop
That's an incredibly easy way to simplify someone's discography, you can say that about millions of artists, just replace name with "Trent" and with anyone else.
>>
>>73702749
you talk about music in very vague, unspecific terms. is there a reason for this, anon?
>>
>>73702791
that's the point
at this point I agree about that 'poptimist' is one of the most useless tags ever
it just confused me that I saw someone else mentioning how useless it is for the first time in that particular thread
I doubt see it in any other thread that isnt about bitching on a respected artist
>>73702812
yet again its not the first time I'm talking like that, but the only time I received similarly upset reply when I was doing that about radiohead
this board is incredibly hypoctirical, it's not even funny anymore
>>
>>73702749
the closest he's gotten to straight up pop music was his debut, which wasn't his breakout release. the follow-up EP, arguably his most abrasive release that disconnected entirely from the synthpop sound of PHM, was where his popularity picked up. Broken and TDS are as far removed from pop music, as a genre, as I can say for any other relatively popular release.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.