[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I started properly listening and learning about composition and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: shostakovich01.jpg (44KB, 352x500px) Image search: [Google]
shostakovich01.jpg
44KB, 352x500px
I started properly listening and learning about composition and now I can't enjoy rock music anymore, as it sounds too repetitive to me, and therefore un-melodious. Is this good or bad? I can't really tell
>>
>>73688371
Repetition isn't inherently bad. What 'rock' did you like before that you don't like now?
>>
I've had a similar experience where the more you learn about music theory and writing, you look at music differently as a whole. And yeah, this pretty much means you appreciate certain genres more or less based on your newfound understanding of how music works and what it is. Whether it's a hobby or a career for you, learning more about music is always good in the end, I guess just keep things in perspective when weighing factual knowledge and your own perception of things.
>>
Rock music is garbage, but not because of its repetitive character. What do you think of minimalist New York School of composers?
>>
Yeah, pretty much. Like, I have been trying to deny it for years now, but at this point, popular music does nothing for me except like playing hip hop or non-experimental electronic stuff around friends. When I first started learning more about that stuff at first, I thought "oh, okay, I guess popular music is still good though because it doesn't get analyzed by similar metrics." But even once you start taking into account more experimental forms of composition or the kind of improvisation seen in jazz, basically stuff that also have to analyze differently, popular music just started feeling more like a waste of time with really just cultural context analysis going for it.
>>
File: 1405643769773.jpg (175KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
1405643769773.jpg
175KB, 1252x1252px
ITT:
>>
>>73688371
kys, this is why nobody likes you classicalfags, nobody cares if you think you're superior for listening to music made by dead old farts
>>
>>73689307
Like most rock lls
>>
>>73689307
OP didn't say they thought they were superior, they just they couldn't enjoy rock anymore.

You're projecting lol
>>
It took learning musical theory for you to realize that pop music is trash? LMAOing at you plebs
>>
>>73688995
>>73689307
Again, like a couple itt, it's more that one is just unable to enjoy simpler stuff because it just can't engage the listener on a similar level. We aren't trying to actively shit on popular music. Even nowadays where I am so much more busy in life coming out of college and have limited time for enjoying music the other stuff takes that much less time of my listening experience.
>>
>>73689377
are you purposefully being obtuse or are you stupid?
>>
i only like atmospheric music
some classical music has good atmosphere but a lot of it is all over the place with its emotions and feels a bit like showing off or play-acting
>>
>>73688371
Classical is repetitive tho
>>
>>73689548
That depends on what you're listening to. I know some Bach can come off as just wank to new listeners. It certainly did to me years ago. But a lot of stuff by the Romantic era especially is great in the realm of atmosphere.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.