[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>metal fans constantly talk about "complexity" and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

File: 220px-Aesthethica.jpg (5KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Aesthethica.jpg
5KB, 220x220px
>metal fans constantly talk about "complexity" and "diversity" of their music
>always say the genre is about the best in composition for popular music
>this album comes out, BTFO of any comparable Metal group in terms of philosophy and composition

>metal fans hate it because it's popular

Why are metal fans so insufferable?
>>
>>73685352
those aren't real metal fans

real metal fans care about riffs
>>
>>73685352
I really think the only reason people hate liturgy is because of HHH, the guys undeniably a dickhead.
>>
>thinking philosophy and composition make an album good

nu-males need to learn their place
>>
>>73685373
He's not a dickhead, he just talks in very heightened terms which makes people feel stupid
>>73685377
do you even know music theory
>>
>>73685384
>He's not a dickhead, he just talks in very heightened terms which makes people feel stupid
because he's a dickhead
>>
>>73685398
Or maybe because he wants to talk about his art in the terms that he thinks are most effective and true to it.
>>
>>73685384
music theory =/= composition wankery

music theory just tells you "okay stay on tempo and only use notes in the same key if possible" the rest is nonsense
>>
>>73685384
don't need to know theory to know you're some fuken nu-male
>>
>>73685406
if that was the case he wouldn't have gone out of his way to communicate in messily-edited jumpcut clusterfuck free-associative nonsense videos
>>
>>73685415
>>73685419
So you think the additive rhythmic form, the classical sequences, the canonical organum are all irrelevant?
>>
>>73685352
dumb nu-male
>>
>>73685433
i dont give a shit, nu-male
>>
>>73685433
Essentially,yes, because they aren't needed to come up with metal thrashin' mad killer riffs
>>
>>73685462
>I don't give a shit nu-male
>I just want to be fucked in the ass by my favorite rapper who barely understands anything about rhythm let alone music
>>
>>73685481
sticking to "boom BAP boom-boom BAP" shows a better understanding of rhythm than using the "burst beat"
>>
>>73685512
Except for the fact that you don't actually know any rhythmic processes outside of "boom BAP"
>>
>>73685481
nice projection, nu-male

go cry about it while reading HHH wankery
>>
>>73685537
Nice buzzwords, loser.
>>
File: tbm11-550x709.jpg (35KB, 550x709px) Image search: [Google]
tbm11-550x709.jpg
35KB, 550x709px
>>73685352
>
>>
File: haptic_void.png (40KB, 640x292px) Image search: [Google]
haptic_void.png
40KB, 640x292px
>>73685384
I've read excerpts form his manifesto, he basically just thinks metal can't get any more brütal so instead he dicks around with loop pedals and changes tempo and rhythm every measure to make something anthemic because the internet killed le counterculture. I like his music (well, some of it) but he's not well spoken by any means.
>Today USBM stands in the shadow of Hyperborean Black
>Metal. The time has come for a decisive break with the
>European tradition and the establishment of a truly
>American black metal. And we should say “American” rather
>than “US”: the US is a declining empire;
>America is an eternal ideal representing human dignity, hybridization and creative evolution.
And his diagrams from his manifesto are terrible as well.
>>
>>73685570
That's actually a really good read if you try it.
>>73685593
That's not at all what he was saying, which reveals your lack of understanding about any musical terminology.
Black Metal is based around a consistent loud, pulsing drone with consistently loud singing, etc. Because of this, the intensity of the music is constantly at its peak: constant fortissimo, constant drone. As a result, the intensity becomes normalized and the brutality doesn't reach its peak: it WEAKENS.

The idea of burst beats, additive rhythms, different vocal stylings is to accentuate the peak moments like the "chorus" of High Gold. In essence it's trying to add tension and release to black metal without sounding like a cliché verse/chorus form.
>>
>>73685593
not only that, his premise is that up until his own band came around; Metal existed ONLY to be brutal and ONLY to be as brutal as possible.

Which is 100% bullshit that even die hard extreme metalfags don't believe
>>
File: 1483316247888.png (2MB, 996x868px) Image search: [Google]
1483316247888.png
2MB, 996x868px
>>73685352
>Liturgy BTFO of any comparable Metal group in terms of philosophy and composition
That is the funniest thing I've heard all week my Sumerian.
>>
File: 1442894725774.jpg (724KB, 2272x1704px) Image search: [Google]
1442894725774.jpg
724KB, 2272x1704px
>tfw you saw them live with Lightning Bolt

That was a pretty fun show
>>
>>73685640
>black metal
>pulsing
wrong, and not even HHH says this
>drone
only for certain subcurrents that appeared during the 2nd wave
>>
>>73685689
>ignores the rest of the post because he doesn't understand it
lol I fucking hate /mu/
>>
>>73685352
>this album comes out, BTFO of any comparable Metal group in terms of philosophy and composition

You couldn't be any more clueless about the state of contemporary metal if you tried lmao.
Music doesn't begin and end with the shit Pitchfork and Vice spoonfeed to you.
>>
>metal fans say I'm wrong
>also can't prove me wrong since they don't know anything about musical complexity
>>
>>73685740
you should check out the complexity of my balls in your mouth
>>
>>73685640
>As a result, the intensity becomes normalized and the brutality doesn't reach its peak: it WEAKENS.
this has already been observed by many metal fans before him in a casual manner

it has also been successfully been averted by simply varying the accent of each riff

and this isn't new.

Instead of changing tempo (which is already something fairly commonplace in extreme metal) all you have to do is, for example, alternative between a gravity blast and a regular blast beat. or to alternate fast riffs and crushing doomy riffs

it's nothing new.

And if HHH was actually trying to make intense music he would put more distortion and a thicker sound on it
>>
>>73685702
Oh I understand it. It's just that HHH, for the purposes of his intellectual exercise, purposefully boils down the entirety of Black Metal's techniques to
-blast beat
-tremolo riffing
and ignores everything BM already does to create variation and preserve intensity throughout a song.
>>
>>73685757
>Instead of changing tempo (which is already something fairly commonplace in extreme metal) all you have to do is, for example, alternative between a gravity blast and a regular blast beat. or to alternate fast riffs and crushing doomy riffs
None of that actually changes the intensity unlike the unison rhythms of Aesthethica
>>
>>73685352
Aesthetica is pretty fun, I really enjoy how the album stays in a climax during 40 minutes.
>>
>>73685740
musical complexity is useless because, as HHH proved, it doesn't result in metal thrashin mad killer riffs
>>
File: young urbanite.jpg (59KB, 645x412px) Image search: [Google]
young urbanite.jpg
59KB, 645x412px
>>73685352
>taking pitchfork seriously
It's no wonder you look like this
>>
File: numale.jpg (450KB, 1050x1080px) Image search: [Google]
numale.jpg
450KB, 1050x1080px
ITT
>>
>>73685793
the goal isn't to change the intensity, though, it's to find ways to preserve it from boredom.

the question is: how do we prevent people from getting bored of a riff?
>black metal's answer
just play a different riff from time to time
>HHH's answer
change the tempo
>>
>>73685797
it doesn't, though, it's often interrupted by interludes or slow tracks.

Which is exactly what the rest of black metal already does to create variety
>>
>>73685415
Are there actually people out there this fucking stupid or is this intentional
>>
HHH is a self absorbed dick who clearly haven't delved past the surface of extreme metal. Bands like Anael, deeds of flesh, diskord, Mitochondrion, and shaarimoth had all made music that was more challenging, interesting, and abrasive than anything that communist faggot came up with.
This album by no means btfo any comparable group in terms of philosophy and composition. The latest zealotry album alone could make this turd sound like 90s grunge in comparison. Metalheads don't hate liturgy because they're popular, but because they've shat all over traditional metal orthodoxy on their quest toward what they thought was a higher level of musical intricacy.
>>
Returner is unironically one of my favourite black meme songs
>>
bumping for more hendrix bashing
>>
File: hhhhhhhhhhhh.png (4MB, 1536x1381px) Image search: [Google]
hhhhhhhhhhhh.png
4MB, 1536x1381px
I want to hug HHH
>>
>>73685352
that album is legitimately great. anyone who says otherwise is a dunce
>>
File: 1487710221939.jpg (1MB, 1672x2084px) Image search: [Google]
1487710221939.jpg
1MB, 1672x2084px
>>
>>73689300
>tfw 80% of those albums are brilliant
>tfw you will never be pegged
>>
>>73689608
>i get my taste from vice-noisey
>>
It's repetitive as fuck due to its attempt at shoehorning minimalism into metal, the vocalist lacks intensity, and the supplemental sounds are those cheesy MIDI ones which are terrible at supporting the kind of sound the record was going for; the last one in the context of this topic is especially hilariously awful since understanding sound relationships is a big part of intricate composition.
>>
dude so technical lmao

the point of composition is to be as complex as possible!
>>
>>73685823
>same hyde
>twice
is this the angry brony edit?
>>
>>73685352
it's really shitty and would be laughed at if it was associated with any other scene. but they made a smart move by masquerading as black metal because the standards are lowered, and hipsters will eat up anything associated with metal that isn't actually liked by metalheads
>>
HHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
>>
>>73685415
Spoken like someone who doesn't properly understand music theory
>>
>>73685752
Kek
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.