[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just listened to this yesterday, why is progressive rock so good.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

File: Yes-close.jpg (102KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Yes-close.jpg
102KB, 300x300px
Just listened to this yesterday, why is progressive rock so good.

Been listening lots of Genesis with Peter Gabriel, old Pink Floyd, Caravan, Gong, Camel, and there are still literally hundreds of good albums.
>>
Youre absolutely right. Prog rock can be hard to digest sometimes but it is the pinnacle of rock music. A true celebration of creativity, talent and spontaneous consistency. Yet this genre is one of the most heterogenous with the vast majority of INDIVIDUAL bands being distinctive and instantly recognisable. Emotional resonance in vocals takes talent but evoking those same emotions and beyond with instrumental interplay is on a different level. A band like Yes does BOTH simultaneously, hence objectively, one of the greatest rock bands of all time.
>>
I forgot to add; enjoy the wonders of prog!

Id post some cool bands but its probably better if you discover gems for yourself. Im quite sure that aside from the classics you mentioned, most proggers have their own unique personal favorites; sometimes, those may even be albums that the prog collectives may have passed over or even ridiculed.
>>
>>73681665
I do mostly like progressive rock, but in most cases it has a very glaring Achille's Heel. Often it lacks any noteworthy armosphere, which to me makes it sound very sterile. Pink Floyd, mostly, I think is one of the few progressive rock bands that do bring a unique atmosphere to the table whilst simultaneously not going too far away from the progressive rock roots, despite in most cases being less progressive than other contemporaries like Genesis and Yes.
>>
>>73681665
>Gong

Nice! I'm sure you've already listened to their album You, right?
>>
>>73681665
Did you listen to Cardiacs, Gentile Giant, or Magma yet?
>>
Would you consider Styx a progressive rock band? They certainly have some progressive elementsnin their music
>>
>>73682064
Personally the wacky sets of instruments used in prog, especially those awesome 70s keyboards gives prog rock ridiculously rich textures and brilliant atmosphere (though not often dark).

OP mentioned Gong which imo has far sicker, expansive atmospheric/psychadellic segments and thats just one band in the diverse soundscape of classic prog groups. Personally, some of the Rio stuff with their chamber music tendencies and especially the bass driven zeuhl is some of the most oppressively atmospheric rock music ever made.

Tldr youre generalising anon though that is no fault of yours. A true iceberg of a musical genre.
>>
I find it unimpressive and tryhard-ish.
>>
>>73682159
I meant Gong is more space rock than Pf ever was
>>
>>73682158
Proggy at best. Not a fully prog band; relatively accessible and not enough experimentation with less commercial genres.
>>
The greatest prog is probably the best music you can find, but it also has the biggest tendancy to be self indulgent and pretentious. The best bands are either the ones who mix it incredibly well with popular music (caravan, rush) or do incredibly complex stuff without pretension (Henry Cow)

Sometimes I think the in depth knowledge of musical theory can bog down the compositions as well, there's much to be said for having a bit of Throbbing Gristle in your band's genetics.
>>
File: 1400467607102.gif (2MB, 235x180px) Image search: [Google]
1400467607102.gif
2MB, 235x180px
>>73682054
>prog collectives may have passed over or even ridiculed.
can you name a few, srs question.
>>
>>73682180
>Sometimes I think the in depth knowledge of musical theory can bog down the compositions as well
I guess all the movements in jazz and classical music over the years did it all wrong then. That's a wrong way to think about it. And about Throbbing Gristle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sDj77WpiVQ
If this doesn't inspire you musically in any way, I'm not sure what will. That's not to say they had standout and the most well respected albums in industrial genre.
>>
>>73682164
>tryhard

It's hard to explain but every single member of the famous progg rock bands (or even the lesser known) are virtuosos in their own right.
>>
>>73682164
>>73682249
Applies to you too.
>>
>>73682257
And they try so hard to let everyone know
>>
>>73682158
They're prog rock with a pop lean. I think they're what you get when you mix prog rock and Supertramp.
>>
>>73682235
Camel didnt suck after Moonmadness

Atoll isnt a generic Yes wannabe

Nova Synteza is actually one of Blue Efects best albums

Japanese fusion artists dont get enough love

Funk Nucleus just as good as early Nucleus

Romantic warrior does not overshadow everything else Rtf did

Ron Jarzombeks tech prog metal projects are true hidden gems

Being is Godtier album that puts proggers off for uncharacteristically minor reasons
>>
>>73682384
>Nova Synteza 2

Important distinction i forgot
>>
>>73682384
>Japanese fusion artists dont get enough love
Any recommendations here? Most of them devolved into smooth jazz/jazz fusion combination really.
>>
>>73682249
That's why I said sometimes man. And to be honest, the best "classical" music is the music which diregards rules in pirsuit of artistic development. So much Mozart is dull boring shit because it follows the rules and formulas, but when he made K491 it broke the mould and created something wonderful.
Also I fucking adore TG, I didn't mean to make it seem like anything else
>>
>>73682384
I don't know any of those, that's the /mu/ I miss. Now everyone just speaks about meme shit or shitposting.

I remember many years ago when /mu/ wasn't full of reddit and we had mediafire and megaupload threads.
>>
>>73682421
That is my problem. I love the smooth ones such as Casiopea, Shuichi Murakami and Kazumi Watanabe (desu they are all pretty smooth and really prog). I will also add that im a huge fan of the 80s funk/disco sound in general.
>>
>>73682516
Not really prog*

Before i confuse the fuck outta yall
>>
>>73682516
We're not on the same page obviously, but thanks for clarifying either way.
>>
Hiromi Uehara is quite proggy Japanese jazz fusion but shes quite acclaimed.
>>
>>73681665
I don't know about everyone else but I find this album to be completely average at best.
>>
>>73682542
Haha I love jazz rock to the point where I can unironically enjoy elevator music.
>>
>>73682547
Well Relayer is better but its also hard to complain about CTTE
>>
>>73682141
my nigger, You is an amazing album, especially Master Builder
>>
>>73682180
>self indulgent and pretentious
pleb complaint; opinion discarded.
>>
>>73682655
Thats too harsh XD
Calling prog pretentious is pretty faggy but he redeems himself by saying good prog is some of the best music ever. Few niggaz actually realise this truth.
>>
Why can't progressive rock bands stop trying to be weird and just make music.
>>
>>73682257
There are absolutely no virtuosos in Pink Floyd. As far as technique goes, barring Gilmour and MAYBE Barrett, they were all punk-tier musicians at best.
>>
>>73682873
You must realise that 'just making music' is the very essence of prog rock. Prog is basically talented musicians making rock music whatever they want it to be; unchained by the concessions of commercial music, the scoffs of so called music critics and the trappings of established genres.
>>
>>73682955
Most prog bands end up doing really goofy, stupid and quirky additions to a perfectly good song that never called for
>CHA CHA-CHA
or
>Budda pah tah!
or shit vocals in general.
>>
>>73683218
can you elaborate.

>Most prog bands
Can you elaborate.
>>
>>73682475
>and we had mediafire and megaupload threads
????
There are still daily sharethreads, you know that?
>>
>>73683218
>he doesnt like the cha chas
Fucking pleb
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.