[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Around the turn of the century, it seems Scaruffi the ethereal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2168.jpg (59KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2168.jpg
59KB, 600x800px
Around the turn of the century, it seems Scaruffi the ethereal became much more critical and gave fewer high scores. Of course, I think music did drop overall around that time, but albums like Mount Eerie and STGSTV (Just two, Im sure you could make a case for others) sound like albums he'd give 8.0s and above. He gave very positive reviews in the descriptions yet gave both his new placeholder for albums he seems to like (7.5). He also draws comparisons to other albums which really aren't there. And now his majesty hardly releases new reviews.
Did il Magnifico give up on music as a medium or did music give up on him? Has it really dropped off so far?
>>
>>73617349
fuck your stupid '''plants''' and their meaningless '''ratings'''. No one is buying it.
>>
>>73617368
Hmmm...
>>
>>73617349
The ratings can always be revised you know
>>
>>73617349
I think he realized his folly. Look at his top albums. Literally every single one is neurotic and fails to work through its neurosis. An album like Mount Eerie is not a neurotic album. I am one of Scaruffi's greatest fans, I've listened to all of his 9s, most of them many many times, at least half of his 8.5s, and I used to read his opinion about everything.

Music did not drop off at the turn of the century. There was more music then than ever before. Scaruffi does a great job at seeking out obscurities, but he didn't even find all of those from the 20th century that he would clearly have greatly enjoyed. There's vastly more music now than then. Scaruffi, like lots of 20th century people, probably believed in art for art's sake rather than for its ability to help people through existential pain. I think he's probably focusing on himself now.

All of the albums/artists he praises are magnificent failures/tragedies.
>>
>>73618015
He was also trying to form a historical narrative like some literary and classical music critics do. This likely elevated his ego. All of the albums he praises are also egotistical.
>>
>>73618015
>>73618063
I would even say that ego/the-profundity-of-neurosis is what gives the albums he praises their power. He is basically very good at recognizing this quality in art.
>>
>>73618015
>Literally every single one is neurotic and fails to work through its neurosis.
what is that even supposed to mean
>>
>>73617515
fuck off
>>73617368
this. the whole rating process is inherently corrupt, and that's why 'they' push it so hard (in all its forms)
>>
>>73618140
not him but the idea of a sublime failure my guess
pretty much scruffles got a type, and as time went on he didnt find as many albums to his taste as years before - dont mean they dont exist, but he didnt find them
>>
>>73618015
>Music did not drop off at the turn of the century.
Name me an album from the past 10 years that can hold up to the greats of the 60s 70s 80s or 90s.

And Scaruffi likes albums which are neurotic mainly because he acclaimed albums which give voices to people and their issues (this is probably taken from David Thomas, who Scaruffi loves). Not all his favorite albums are neurotic either. Fare Forward Voyagers, Perfect From Now On, Velvet Underground's, Harsh Jar Tempo's.
>>
>>73618156
Yep. (((ratings))).

Fuck all of these pigs and their tech companies too.
>>
>>73618156
Imagine thinking Scaruffi is being influenced by Jews in a conspiracy against Western Civilization. Imagine believing that.
>>
>>73617349
Ghosts of the great highway
Spirit they're gone
Mount eerie
Exmilitary
All sound like scruffy 9/10s or even 9.5/10s, I think he just got more critical
>>
File: download.jpg (4KB, 149x144px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4KB, 149x144px
>>73618229
>Believe in the (((ratings))). They're super valid. These are experts.
>>
>>73618318
If released in 1985

GotGH 8.0
STGSTV 9.0
Mount Eerie 8.5
Ex Military 8.0
>>
File: thefaceofdoubt1.jpg (33KB, 607x530px) Image search: [Google]
thefaceofdoubt1.jpg
33KB, 607x530px
>>73618380
>It's a 6 garillion/10 goy
>>
>>73618372
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>73618403
reddit
>>
File: download (3).jpg (7KB, 218x218px) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
7KB, 218x218px
>>73618439
>it's a 6.984369/10. O-official. P-pay n-no attention to that man behind the curtain.
>>
>>73618380
Nope
>>
>>73618500
reddit
>>
>>73618541
Is that all they train you to say?
>>
>>73617349
It's just part of growing old to lose interest and excitement for new music. He's like 70 at this point/
>>
>>73618140
The albums are made by individuals with significant existential malaise and profound egos/delusions-of-grandeur and the albums capture this malaise but fail to transcend it. These artists realize that they can make something unique and extremely powerful, but they fail to see that it is a manifestation of who they are, and that who they are needs help. They basically relish and wallow in the horror of their existence.

>>73618186
Sublime failure is exactly what I mean.
>>
>>73618318
None of these sound like scruffily 9s. 9.5 is simply ridiculous.
>>
>>73618380
No
>>
>>73617368
Correct. 'Ratings' culture is corrupt. It's used to establish an artificial hierarchy.
>>
>>73618580
I'm actually Jewish myself. How does it feel knowing I'm controlling your society lol
>>73618601
David Thomas seems pretty sane and calculated to me. Maybe you can't accept intelligent people who make criticisms of the industrial society so you turn to the cold eye of the psychoanalysis for "help"? Clearly you have a belief system in place about humans.
>>
>>73618601
shields just wanted to make cool guitar noises idk about "existential malaise and profound ego", senpai
>>
>>73617349
The numbers don't directly correspond to how much he likes them or how good he thinks they are, innovation and influence play a huge role. People look at the score but forget to read the accompanying reviews.
>>
>>73618709
Perhaps I have a certain half-baked, neurotic belief system. I've read many David Thomas interviews, but I've only heard The Modern Dance, Dub Housing, and some songs from Two Pale Boys. Obviously David Thomas is intelligent, more intelligent than I, but he is not an intellectual, and he himself has rejected that label. He's obviously very egotistical, having called himself superior and a genius on many occasions, because he is, whether that's a good thing or not. His music is too willfully inaccessible to the masses for any criticisms he might make to have any effect on anything and his criticisms are probably not interesting enough for intellectuals, not to mention that worldly intellectuals are generally not concerned with somewhat obscure experimental rock music. They generally look to music for its recreational/soothing value, I imagine. So in the end, the demographic that might care about his statements ends up being very small and ineffectual. He's not really saying anything important, he's just capturing his industrial malaise in a portrait, which is cool except that he might be avoiding what really matters in his existence. His music doesn't help one to come to terms with anything, though perhaps his new music is different. Those Two Pale Boys songs I've heard were actually quite beautiful, though I didn't pay attention to the lyrics. Someone in the midst of experiencing profound existential horror would simply experience more horror if they listened to The Modern Dance, whereas listening to other kinds of music might help one to get through it.

Also, I fully acknowledge that what I'm saying might be stupid, as I am an ignorant man.
>>
>>73619043
You smell your farts don't you?
>>
>>73617349
When I'm trying to figure out which album to start with for a band I haven't heard, I usually check last fm to see what's the most listened to, allmusic to see the critic and user ratings, and then scruffy to see what he thinks. I'm not sure why I even include him anymore, his ratings rarely match up with mine even on artists that we both love. the album that gets the best rating from him is pretty consistently one of the least popular ones and ends up being not a good one to start with
>>
>>73618784
Loveless is the only one of Scaruffi's favourite albums that I never grew to appreciate at all, so I can't really say anything about it.

>>73619102
Ya, I am unfortunately pretty self-consumed.
>>
>>73618601
What do you mean 'fail to transcend'? Your saying they must find a solution to their existential pain in the record? Are you saying that would make the record better, or that it is bad otherwise? And does sublime failure refer to the essence of the work or the musical attempts themselves?
>>
>>73619043
Someone who is sympathetic to The Modern Dance isn't going to find something else comforting. What matters in existence? That's the point. Nothing really matters which is what causes people to go headlong schizophrenic when suffering. So people suffer now with zero justification, and they lash out against society which perpetuates their pain. Not only that, but it's impossible to understand the pragmatics or reasons behind choices which causes them to go schizophrenic.
>>73619102
Damn...
>>
>>73619218
I hope that all people are able to solve their existential pain, and I think that when that solving is captured on record, that that is what makes for something truly worthy of being called masterpiece. I think that it is possible that an album like that has a unique power to help others. I think that that would make the record better, ya. I would say that "sublime failure" refers both to the attempt and the essence. I would maybe call those albums failed masterpieces, in a way. I don't think that the pain needs to be resolved on record for someone to record. I wouldn't call them bad records if they're not "successes-by-this-definition-of-success", just expressions of unresolved pain that might lack what those successes have.

>>73619436
I guess you could say that what matters is resolving the pain, being okay with existing.
>>
is this /pseud/ general?
>>
>>73619929
agreed with your definition of masterpiece
>>
>Full disclosure: the first time i read Nietzsche i felt that his books were just a ridiculous collection of nonsense, written in poor German, and largely based on an embarrassing degree of ignorance about anthropology, sociology, art and science; and i haven't changed my mind since then. I still have to understand why he became so famous. I am not sure that he also became influential because i think the century that followed had little use for his philosophy and/or his method (assuming he had one).
Anyone who could think this unironically is, regardless of how knowledgeable or well versed they are, not worth taking seriously. Nabokov was the same way, but at least he created, rather than only critiquing.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.