[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people love this asshat's sonic diarrhea on When

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 3

File: file.png (142KB, 350x361px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
142KB, 350x361px
Why do people love this asshat's sonic diarrhea on When the Levee Breaks?
Literally one of the most simple 4/4 beats conceivable, yet people cream themselves over it like it's the pinnacle of drumming.
>>
BUZHSH CHKHSH BUZHSH BUZHSH CHKHSH
>>
>>73615210
the production is a big part of it
>>
>>73615274
this is half of bonham's reputation
of course he is great but normies are easy to fool with reverb
>>
A nu-male like you wouldn't get it
>>
the crashes are amazing on that song

op is numale
>>
>>73615581
>>73615645
I can easily see a nu-male thinking that Zeppelin is cool
>>
>>73615210
You mean people like simplistic drumming? You mean people hire drummers all the time to play to the tune and not to wave their dick in everyone's face? Seems like the only normie here is you.
>>
>>73615666
zep is numale repellent desu
>>
It sounds good.

Its not the pinacle of drumming, it just sounds fuckin good.

Jesus christ /mu/
>>
>>73615210
He beat the drums harder than John Lennon beat his wife. That's why Led Zeppelin > The Beatles.
>>
take this shit to reddit, Bonham was great but nobody here thinks its because he was rhythmically complex. Its tasteful enough to keep the vibe of the song going but energetic and groovy
>>
>>73615210
$20 says OP couldn't play this simple beat convincingly.
>>
File: tumblr_mc46ppABIX1qjv9rh.gif (486KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mc46ppABIX1qjv9rh.gif
486KB, 499x499px
just dont discuss drums on /mu/ youre never gonna get anywhere
>>
>>73616578
/mu/ generally is retarded when it comes to drums and drummers. There are only a hand full of us who play the instrument for a living and know what the fuck is what.
>>
I didn't get why people liked Bonham until I heard this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Rf1I9htJk
>>
>>73616606
>us
Stop
>>
>>73616606
/mu/ has this weird idea that a drummer must play strictly to the song and never express themselves. where in reality, a good drummer can fill and be creative while maintaining strong groove and feel with no issue
>>
>>73616650
>he doesn't have friends who play drums professionally and who browse 4chan
Sucks to be you desu
>>
>>73616406
This

It's just a good beat. Nowhere near his best though
>>
>>73616449
If I'm not mistaken Black Dog has some rhythmically complex stuff, but one big part of his work (and the work of most great drummers, let's face it) is the ability to play for the song, which is tougher than it seems.
>>
>>73616673
One big case of a great drummer is Keith Moon - if you pay attention to his drumming, he's very good at keeping time and throwing out random fills that accentuate the rhythm of the band - and when you consider the rest of The Who, you pretty much need a good drummer else everything falls flat.
>>
>>73616673
It depends on the gig. There is no absolutism in music. Sometimes bands hire a drummer to play the song, sometimes they hire a drummer to play themselves. Every master knows this. Tony Royster Jr is a perfect example. That guy keeps all of his gigs not because he plays chops over every tune. He plays the tune and he keeps his fat pay check.
>>
>>73616673
You can play for the song and still be creative -- you should be both. But once you start making music a dick measuring contest it stops being good
>>
>>73615210
>sonic diarrhea

You're right that it is simplistic and perhaps not as impressive as many make it out to be. But it's still a great drum sound, beat and is an important part of a great song. Stop trying so hard you twat.
>>
>>73616765
Oh I totally agree. I never really said you shouldnt play for the song, its just that shouldn't be the ONLY thing you do
>>
>>73616736
Incorrect. Keith Moon is one of the most overrated drummers of all time. He had shit timing. If it wasn't for Entwistle he would've sounded like complete trash
>>
>>73616789
Bro what. If you're asked to only play the song then you only do that. Doing otherwise gets you fired.
>>
>>73616369
If you only want a drummer to keep time, just get a fucking metronome, you dolt.
>>
>>73616836
What a stupid comment. It's too stupid to say anything more than it's a stupid comment. Good job retard.
>>
>>73616816
Doing nothing but playing the basic beat is boring as fuck and will guarantee you never make it far as a drummer ever.
>>
>>73616546
>I'm a lazy talentless fuck who only has a surface-level appreciation of music because I have no experience with playing an instrument
>that clearly means everyone else here is, too

Love it. It's also got a dash of "hurr durr I'd like to see you do it/do it better" as well.
>>
>>73616869
Glad to see you've got no arguments.
>>
>>73615210
I'm not impressed by the drumming itself, but the way it was recorded is amazing for the tme.
>>
>>73616836
Who's the better drummer? Why?
Him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hugfqkUzRvU
Or him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGCUmPOTmIc
>>
>>73616940
dennis chambers cause i didnt have to watch a despicable me ad to see him
>>
>>73616881
I guess that's why Kenny Arnoff is not a multi-multi-multi-millionaire and has gone no where as a drummer, garunteed.

Oh wait.

>>73616898
I play music full time. What are you talking about? I'm 100% sure you could not pull that beat off convincingly.
>>
>>73616917
Glad to see you're too stupid to see your own stupidity. Grats
>>
>>73616989
Kenny Aronoff has an amazing sense of groove and fills when the time is right, he does far more than play the basic beat
>>
>>73615210
because it sounds great. It sounds big, it's loud and it accompanies the rest of the song very very well.

Not everything needs to be complex to be great. Go back to listening to gay ass speed metal.
>>
>>73617021
Name your favorite Kenny Arnoff drum fill off the top of your head. I'll wait.
>>
>>73617009
Please, start arguing any time. Be my guest.
>>
>>73616674
>>he doesn't have friends who play drums professionally
The drummers in my bands are my friends though
>and who browse 4chan
You got me there
>>
>>73617063
You're not worth my energy. I'll let you live in ignorance.
>>
>>73617044
fills aren't the point of a drummer you dunce. i literally agreed with you in the beginning youre just an idiot and dont understand that most drummers do more than keep time.
>>
>>73617021
No one hires Kenny Aronoff for any reason other than the fact that he's a human metronome, or at least he used to be. That said, he's an extreme example. Most drummers should try to have more personality than him
>>
>>73617119
>Most drummers should try to have more personality than him
>mfw he thinks Kenny has no personality
>>
>>73617152
In terms of playing style you autist
>>
>>73617093
You're talking to a drummer of 25 years. You also know dick about Arnoff, there's no need to pretend like you know. Just say you don't know and you can learn something.
What does keeping time mean to you? When someone asks you to play time do you automatically play a two bar phrase repeated over and over? I bet you would because you seem to think time = one pattern repeated when it's not.
In relation to music, sometimes music doesn't need an extra 8th note orchestrated around the kit. Listen to James Gadson. That's playing time and making it feel good. I don't think you know much about that yet, and that's okay.
>>
>>73617161
Maybe since, he's a hired drummer, he's playing what the artist want and not what HE wants?
>>
>>73617161
>Kenny Arnoff
>has no personality

Gee I wonder why he's constantly hired to fly all over the globe to play music for some of the worlds biggest acts. Surely it's because he sounds like a metronome.

See this is what I mean. You think playing time is something every single person has as a default. You playing a simple rock beat will not sound like Kennys rock beat. The difference between you and him is about 40 years of playing experience and millions of dollars. You don't get it man.
>>
>>73617193
Find a clip of him playing something exciting anywhere
>>
>>73617245
He straight up doesn't play with any personality. He's just a middle of the road drummer in his style and sound, but he's always locked super tight. He's not a pocket drummer by any means but he has incredible timing. That's why he gets hired. Also, name recognition helps a lot. That's why Ringo is more expensive than David Garibaldi
>>
>>73617253
Bro you are so dense.
There's a difference between a fucking job and playing for yourself.
Here's another fantastic example.
Steve Smith.
Him playing journey vs him playing up tempo bebop. Are they two different people? No you moron they're the same person who knows what is needed of him on any given musical situation.
>>
>>73617253
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BGutJwxXag
>>
>>73617307
>no personality
I bet you think Phil Collins has no personality either.
I bet you think the Motown drummers have no personality either.
I bet you think Rich Redmond and other Nashville drummers have no personality either.

Tell me, who does have a personality on the drum set?
>>
>>73617319
I understand the concept bro. I've been drumming for 12 years. I'm just saying no one gives a fuck about Kenny Aronoff's shredding chops. They care about his timing. He's only admired for being able to get a track right in one take, and/or to play an award perfectly, nothing else. That is his legacy
>>
>>73617358
>Phil Collins
Maybe has personality, but is still not that great
>Motown drummers
Personality for days. There's a reason why people haven't stopped dancing to motown records
>Rich Redmond
Never heard of him, but I just looked him up. Don't see anything remotely special about him

>Who does have a personality?
John Bonham, Steve Jordan, Denis Chambers, Chad Smith, David Garibaldi, etc. I generally prefer pocket drummers that play tastefully
>>
>>73617430
All of these guys who have 40+ years over you have chops you don't and probably won't understand for another 30 or 40 years.
Every drummer I've ever met has a personality and when they play it comes out. Beginner or not, everyone has an idea of what sound they're trying to produce and the execution will always vary. People play drums. People have different preferences therefore their drumming will always differ in touch and conceptualizations. People are totally okay with playing 2 & 4 every night of the week and can get paid well to do so. Others only post their chops on instagram and that's great too. 9 / 10 2&4 guy gets the gig though. So the choice is yours.
>>
>>73617516
Dave Elitch would crucify your Phil Collins statement. I garuntee you're not anywhere near the level of play he is.
Rich is one of the biggest names in the Nashville scene who went through the UNT jazz program with other greats like Keith Carlock.. yeah nothing special about him.

>Dennis Chambers
His own words when talking about Tony Royster "He learned what it's about. He's got chops up the yin yang but he knows how to keep a gig."
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L7qf5wKOv90

All of those cats have personalities, big ones too, otherwise they wouldn't be where they are, whether or not you want to admit it.
>>
>>73617561
Are you honestly autistic? I fucking understand what you're saying. You think for some reason I'm hating on Kenny, but I'm not. He's the most sought after studio drummer in the world, maybe of all time. That's fucking impressive, but you seem to think that this inherently makes him an amazing drummer. The truth is, whether you admit it or not, he is known for PLAYING IN TIME, not his "personality" behind the kit. Look at the drummers I listed above you - all of them are pocket drummers that live off of 2&4, but the difference is 1) they actually play in the pocket, and 2) when they play something different it sounds like them, not like some generic drummer.

Also fuck off with your condescension. Playing for 40+ doesn't suddenly awaken you to the truth of good drumming, it's all taste man. I also guarantee that some of your favorite drum tracks were recorded by a drummer that hadn't been playing for that long anyway
>>
>>73615210
They do? I thought his drumming on Physical Graffiti was better than on LZ IV.
>>
>>73617764
>generic drummer

Who is this generic drummer? Is this like an average human being? Who is the archetype for the generic drummer? Enlighten me. My favorite tracks at 70s and 80s tony Williams, 20+ years of playing at that point. It's almost like experience playing makes you a better musician or something. Gee whiz
>>
>>73617650
>Dave Elitch
That's great man. I'm happy he like Phil Collins. I don't like Phil Collins. I think he's overrated and boring.
>Rich Redmond
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XrtG2H7heA
Guy looks like a tool and his playing is stiff as fuck. Literally no groove. Bonus - stick twirling (found the faggot)
>Dennis Chambers
Ok... When did I say keeping gigs and playing simple is bad? I said that Kenny Aronoff doesn't have any personality in his playing style. You can play simply but still have personality. Dennis Chambers is a perfect example
>>
>>73617832
One of the best things about seeing Judas Priest and Black Sabbath in the '90s was that they had been in the game for enough decades that they were absolute masters of their instruments, but at the same time age hadn't yet started to diminish their playing skills.

Too bad bands reach the pinnacle of their musicianship after their commercial heyday has passed.
>>
>>73617832
>generic drummer
You claim to be a dummer yet you don't understand the concept of generic drumming? Drumming that every drummer can play and think of easily. Drumming that lacks creativity and originality.

>Tony Williams
That's great, but it doesn't mean that playing for 40+ years is required to understand different drumming styles, and to form opinions about them. If that were the case 70 year olds would be putting out the best music
>>
>>73616396
Lmao, wrong again niggie
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.