[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does music have to made with conventional instruments (i.e guitar,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1c210f04-she-ate-a-scorpion.jpg (6KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1c210f04-she-ate-a-scorpion.jpg
6KB, 200x200px
Does music have to made with conventional instruments (i.e guitar, drums, etc) to be good?
>>
>>73614154
no. but most good music is. or at least samples of those instruments. hard synths work too. it's not that soft synths are always worse, but most electronic musicians don't know much about writing interesting music.
>>
>>73614187
agree with this, but don't tell me that it's automatically good if it's experimental, that's bullshit
>>
What the fuck do you think when electronic music exists
>>
>>73614193
That's a really, really bad generalization.
>>
>>73614154
basically the only music I like is listening to the guy from the Gerogerigegege masturbate with a vacuum cleaner
>>
The only way music can be good is if it's all natural. No electricity, which means no recording. Live vocals is the only good music.
>>
>>73614205
>most of electronic music is garbage
....not to say that most music in general isnt garbage
>>
>>73614201
>but don't tell me that it's automatically good if it's experimental, that's bullshit
No one has ever claimed that.
>>
>>73614193
>>
>>73614230
no one has claimed that specifically but /mu/ has tried many times to convince me things aren't shit cause they're "new"
>>
>>73614209
i think it's pretty fair. most electronic musicians that don't play an actual instrument don't know how to add the subtleties that make electronic music not sound lifeless.
>>73614232
>or at least samples of those instruments.
i still didn't say all electronic music is bad
>>
>>73614201
agreed. but most acclaimed albums (ie. classics) are praised for bringing something new to the table and innovating their genre (thus being 'experimental'). of course there is 'experimental' music that isn't really good, but good experimental music is what gets remembered decades from now
>>
>>73614299
>i think it's pretty fair. most electronic musicians that don't play an actual instrument don't know how to add the subtleties that make electronic music not sound lifeless.
No, you're judging electronic music by the wrong standard. It doesn't express itself through chord progressions, melodies and verse-chorus-verse structures. Saying it sounds "lifeless" just means you're not paying attention to what's actually happening.
>>
>>73614213
That is silly as fuck.
>>
>>73614383
what standard should i judge electronic music by then? if not by harmony, melody, or song structure. i think most electronic musicians without other musical knowledge suck at "textures" as well. not all though
>>
>>73614462
It's mainly timbre and rhythm (especially the interaction between the drums and bassline). Tension and release are achieved by varying timbre and bringing different elements in and out over time. The stuff that aims to be more song-like with emphasis on melody and chord progressions tends to be cheesy as fuck (i.e. Robert Miles).

It's not rocket science, just pay attention. It's not songwriting and it generally makes no effort to be songwriting.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.