[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone who understands music theory explain to me what makes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: brianwilsonbrianinthestudio1.jpg (202KB, 600x452px) Image search: [Google]
brianwilsonbrianinthestudio1.jpg
202KB, 600x452px
Can anyone who understands music theory explain to me what makes Mrs.O'Leary's Cow (Element: Fire) by the Beach boys sound so eerie?
>>
sounds like sirens
>>
It sounds like the ominous beginning of his nervous breakdown in sound form
>>
Because its AMAZING and its BRRRRRIIIIIAAANNN WILLLLLLLSSSSSSOOOONN
>>
>>73613072
>>73613094
Thanks, but you guys didn't really answer my question. I'm asking what notes are making this song sound the way it those.
>>
>>73613072
Believe it or not but it's the stringed orchestra making that sound.
>>
>>73613124
thee are a shit ton of chromatic notes. especially in the bass line. this makes it feel like there is is no home chord. you have no idea where the tonic is or how any of these notes relate to it. it's musical uncertainty.
>>
>>73612991
Because that shit is legit haunted.
>>
>>73613214
Are the chromatic notes all on the beginning of the song or spread out through the whole thing?
>>
>>73613307
it's in the bassline at the very beginning. i literally just googled mrs o leary's cow bass tabs because thought that was what i was hearing. it's also in 6/8, so by virtue of just not being in 4/4, it will sound strange. there's more to it i'm sure, but that's what i got from a quick glance over.
>>
>>73613368
i should also say that the chromatic notes change key/chords/position a few times throughout the song, but it sticks to using chromatic notes the whole time
>>
>>73613368
I've looked up the tabs. I don't have a bass on me at the moment, but from the guitar tabs it sounds the similar. It also says the song is in 3/4, don't know how accurate that is.

http://www.surfermoon.com/tabs/smile.html#15
>>
>>73613557
the guitar tabs are the same as the bass. there is no guitar on the track besides some dirty fuzz guitar repeating the same riff. you can hear it clearly near the end. the part your playing is the bassline. i used the same website. 6/8 and 3/4 are basically the same thing, but the snare drum isn't really outlining it much either way
>>
>>73613600
Shit, I didn't even notice the guitar towards the end. It kind of sounds like a bass, I'm just guessing because how thick the note sounds, but that could just be the effect. What ever it is It's just adding more noise to this chaotic sound that just won't end. That's amazing.
>>
>>73613750
it could be a fuzz bass. they used a six string tic-tac bass a lot, so it could have been a fuzzed out tic-tac bass. but i think it's just a guitar. watch a live performance of it. maybe you can see which it is there.
>>
>>73613825
Yeah, it's definitely a guitar they're using live just by looking at the notes and the way he's playing. I just love this song, the way it sounds and the way how it's prefomed. I gotta learn music learn .
>>
it causes actual fires
>>
>>73613984
>I gotta learn music learn .
it's gonna be kinda hard to learn music after suffering a massive stroke, but i believe in you
>>
>>73612991

Brian must have heard some weird shit to put all of this into the physical world
>>
>>73614597
Named for Catherine O'Leary of the Great Chicago Fire, "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow" was initially composed for the Beach Boys' unreleased album Smile as the first part of "The Elements" suite: Fire.[1] In Brian Wilson's ghostwritten 1991 autobiography Wouldn't It Be Nice: My Own Story, the circumstances of his second LSD trip were detailed. They were purported to have involved ego death as well as death by burning, which has led some to speculate that the track is a musical adaptation of this LSD trip.[2] According to Wilson with Gold, "It created a disturbing picture that mirrored the screams that had filled my head and plagued my sleep for years."[3]
acid is a helluva drug
>>
>>73614106
Kek, I meant music theory
>>
>>73614776
wonder if he still hears them
>>
>>73612991
It sounds like a weird ancient ritual
>>
all the answers in this thread suck.

-the woodwind notes are bunched together
-the strings are wooshing up and down
>>
>>73614776
>Please do not take the brown acid!
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.