[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else think these are the only two good releases they have?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

Anyone else think these are the only two good releases they have? They aren't as structurally repetitive as their other stuff, while also being the rawest and most energetic as well.
>>
>>
It's NOTM and NLDW fuckhead
>>
>>73612593
>>73612885
Both these records suffer pretty badly from the ABAB structure of their music. Up My Sleeves is the only good track on NOTM.
>>
>>73612885
This
>>
>>73612917
oh come on
>>
>>73612917
What a roundabout way of saying "I have shit taste".
>>
File: 1498336882476.jpg (24KB, 263x309px) Image search: [Google]
1498336882476.jpg
24KB, 263x309px
>>73612388
>>73612593
>>73612885
>>
>>73612885
i've got to agree with you.

nldw is arguably one of their best efforts

notm is equally brilliant, albeit immensely different

their s/t ep deserves a lot more praise than it gets as well

their greatest recent achievement was their steroids mixtape.
>>
>>73613514
Sorry I like music that's energetic and actually feels like songs instead of haphazardly put together tracks with no sense of intricacy or visceral feel?
>>
>>73613806
>no sense of intricacy or visceral feel
>NOTM
What.
>>
>>73612917
you're tripping my dude, it's alright it happens
>>
Death Grips peaked with NLDW.
>>
>>73612917
simply structured songs are what makes deathgrips, and any hip hop band, catchy and enjoyable
>>
>>73614473
[continued the artistic decline of the project.]
>>
>>73612917
> billy not really
> black quarterback
> say hey kid
> fuck me out
> have a sad cum
> ABAB structure
>>
Yes, OP.

On GP, being the standout song of their entire discography.
>>
The Money Store> Niggas On The Moon>Steroid Megamix>Exmilitary>Jenny Death>Bottomless Pit>No Love Deep Webb>Government Plates
>>
>>73614653
yeah.... no

The Money Store > No Love Deep Web > Government Plates > Bottomless Pit > Exmilitary > Interview 2016 > Jenny Death > Niggas on the Moon > Steroid Megamix > Fashion Week
>>
I think we can all agree Fashion Week is their worst album.
>>
Am I the only one around here who loved Government Plates? Might be my favorite release from DG
>>
>>73614774
>interview that high
>NotM that low
aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>73613869
NOTM is definitely not visceral. It tries to go for more intricate rhythms than anything visceral. Now those intricate rhythms would be cool if they weren't budget tier breakcore beats or if they were backed by a more interesting arrangement rather than just a couple sounds. Really it's just the approach to sampling Bjork vocals that makes it good.
>>73614511
Sure, if they aren't so annoyingly formulaic/repetitive. Like fucking hell almost every track from NLDW till NOTM is literally "track's first part starts, some sort of glitchy transition moves to the track's second part, similar glitchy effect moves it back to the first part". The lack of traditional hip hop groove or any wild variations in Ride's delivery doesn't help either.
>>73614604
>billy not really
Stopped reading right there because this track literally has them transitioning out of two disparate sections over and over again.
>>
>>73614932
Nah I loved GP too. I totally understand why some people might hate it, but I love it. Birds and Anne Bonny are some of the best tracks DG ever produced imo.
>>
>>73612388
but those are also quite repetitive
>>
>>73615560
But not to the extent of album wide formulaicness that is every record of theirs bar those two and TMS. These albums don't have the majority of the tracks having the same structure. These two records are also more raw, visceral, and energetic than their other records which is how in general simpler music tends to make up for being structured that way compared to some sonata form shit or something like that.
>>
>>73615090
Sounds like you need to re-listen NOTM.
>>
>>73615817
I did. Wanted to put music on my phone since I am going to Canada for a week in a few days, and was thinking of wanting to jam to DG again on the way. Relistening to tracks from it among other DG albums is literally what made me make this topic.
>>
File: 1498273196557.png (228KB, 357x528px) Image search: [Google]
1498273196557.png
228KB, 357x528px
>>73615850
>>
>>73614774
fashion week was actually pretty great
I'd listen to it a thousand times before GP
>>
File: VdPpNO1.jpg (328KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
VdPpNO1.jpg
328KB, 640x640px
I don't really understand why this board likes Exmilitary so much. For me it has two really good tracks: Takyon and Known for It (and those were on the self-titled EP already). Everything else is pretty meh, especially compared to their later stuff.

Definitely their weakest release for me (after Interview. But not after Fashion Week).
>>
>>73616994
Also my rnk

TPTB (never separate)
BP/TMS
GP
NLDW
FW
Exm
Int
>>
>>73612388
Replace the one on the right with Bottomless Pit and then your post is correct
>>
exmilitary > jenny death / money store > no love deep web > government plates > bottomless pit / niggas on the moon > interview 2016 > fashion week

I think with the exception of jenny death it's really gotten weaker as they go. The best song they ever put out is beware, and in a sense its been downhill since there.
>>
>>73614653
just stop
>>
>>73612388
I think only Exmilitary and Money Store are good as albums. almost all of the songs on those two records are good.

every other album is hit and miss. some good songs, some bad songs, very little structure
>>
>>73612917
death grips takes from black metal and punk more than hip hop like most people think so ofcourse some fucking songs are gonna have an ABAB structure.

Ex-Military is practically a fucking love letter to punk.
>>
>>73616994
>Known for It.

At least you acknowledge how great that track is. It's the most underrated DG song out there.
>>
The pre-release hype of JD was more memorable than the album itself.
>>
>>73620306
The hype of the band was more memorable than the band itself.
>>
>>73614653
kysf
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.