[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I love Modern Classical to bits. I really like the idea of classical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: folder.jpg (840KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
840KB, 1200x1200px
I love Modern Classical to bits. I really like the idea of classical music with more ambient instrumentation and segments. Is there a "modern jazz"? Like the same thing as Modern Classical, but for jazz.
>>
>>73593705
I'm not sure what you're asking
Of course there is modern jazz, but it won't have more ambience if that's what you're trying to find
>>
Well, it's not exactly the same. It varies a lot. Like Modern Classical, Modern Jazz goes many different ways.

From the way you're talking about, check out the records LAM and Atmopheres (I know Tigran Hamasyan is one of the members for this one forgot the others) from last year. This kind of stuff is minimalist and atmospheric.

Then there's the extremely dense works of guys like Wadada Leo Smith and Henry Threadgill who do for jazz similar to what Brian Ferneyhough does for classical. Wouldn't recommend these at all for beginners.

Jazz unlike classical envelops popular music as well, so you also got the more ambient instrumental hip hop of guys like J Dilla or Nujabes, the nu jazz of Jaga Jazzist, and whatever it is the erratic chill/crazy balance of sounds that is Flying Lotus.

For experimental stuff, there's free improvisation which entails everything from Ground Zero's turntable/electronic theatrics to Free Jazz/noise collars of Keiji Haino and Peter Brotzmann. The experimental electronic side of modern classical merged long ago with jazz's improv to create Electroacoustic improvisation; a good starting point for it is the album Good Morning Good Night.
>>
>>73593705
In A Silent Way is a good one
>>
>>73593705
modern classical is a super loose term, and even though people use it as a catch all it covers a ton of different periods. what you're probably looking for is that ambient minimalist stuff like basinski, adams, glass and nyman.

in terms of jazz, the term "modern jazz" isn't really an equivalent to modern classical. ambient jazz can be traced back to cool jazz, stuff like grant green, bill evans, chet baker and 50s miles davis (his electric period is also very ambient-influenced but not in the way that his cool jazz material was). there's also the ecm label with artists like pat metheny, keith jarrett, and ralph towner. some of the guys from this label, specifically methney, also went on to do smooth jazz, but this board hates that genre so i wouldn't bother
>>
>>73594809
Adams is not really a minimalist though.
>>
>>73595231
have you heard shaker loops? his stuff is pretty similar
>>
>>73593705
Yes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klQY_X1clMs
>>
Bohren & Der Club of Gore - Sunset Mission

This is like the A Winged Victory for the Sullen/Erased Tapes of jazz for me..

https://youtu.be/6Zl5vpy__dQ
>>
>>73593705

I suspect your probably looking for something like Arve Henriksen?
>>
>>73593705
I would recommend this:
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/miles_okazaki/mirror/
You can also read about compositional techniques which are similar to classical music compositional techniques:
http://www.milesokazaki.com/albums/mirror-2006/
>>
>>73593705
This isn't classical, its just ambient music with some instruments associated with classical music
Do you think lindsey stirling is classical too?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.