[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw you want to learn an instrument just to play it in an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

>tfw you want to learn an instrument just to play it in an experimental way

What's even the point? I don't want to play in a conventional or melodic way, I just like to go fucking mental on a guitar
>>
guy is rap's idiot
>>
>>73580470
just going mental on a guitar isn't innovative. everyone who gets a distortion petal instinctively does it. it's been 25 years since loveless came out and people still haven't even touched what shields did. try looking up on youtube ambient guitar players and how they get their sounds and start applying elements of sound design to your playing.
>>
>>73580647
I know what you mean, but I don't want to be the best or even innovative, I just want to play my own sort of style, if that makes sense. I'm more interested in learning new techniques rather than just learning to play something 'well', all that blues shit bores me anyway, to be frank. Really technical guitar playing just bores me, to be frank, unless it has it's own sort of 'personality' if that makes sense (like Adrian Belew or something)

Shields is great though, I really respect him.
>>
>>73580700
I tend to do the same. I found theory kind of overwhelming and pussied out. The best way ive found to approach it is just to learn the basic theory stuff like scales and neck lay out and shit and then fuck around from there
>>
>>73580700
you don't have to be the best, but there are so many ways to create your own style. the sounds available on the electric guitar are basically limitless. have you studied music theory? you quickly learn how to add unique touches to your songs. you just need to get past the slowish beginning part.
>>
>>73580793
>>73580801
Thanks for the advice, i'll appreciate it. I feel like it's good to 'learn the rules' a little first before totally ignoring them, if that makes sense. I'm starting to learn a bit of music theory here and there, buying a book on it soon
>>
>>73580954
>I feel like it's good to 'learn the rules' a little first before totally ignoring them
just drop that mind set right now before you set yourself back five years creatively. unless your playing indian ragas, everything you will musically do, especially on a guitar, will fit within western music theory. nonfunctional harmony isn't breaking the rules. i've heard he "learn the rules to break them" line at least twenty times. not trying to be mean, just advice from an idiot that tried to do the same.
>>
>>73580565
implying they aren't all idiots
>>
>>73580700
>frank frank frank
jfc kys
>>
>>73581041
Learning theory doesn't "set you back creatively"
>>
If you actually make some effort to learn some basic musicianship then you'll be ten times better at demolishing it.
But I'm sure you'll figure this out on your own pretty fast when your sounds are going nowhere.
>>
>>73581123
read what i said. his idea of "learning the rules, just to break them" will set him back creatively. not learning theory
>>
>>73580700
It seems like you're not willing to take the time to learn how to properly play an instrument. Guitar isn't a synthesizer, you can't expect to magically develop your own unique sound the first time you touch the guitar. I would recommend getting a teacher and just starting.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.