[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I heard that Soulseek is the best way to obtain obscure and unknown

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: images(13).jpg (3KB, 128x128px) Image search: [Google]
images(13).jpg
3KB, 128x128px
I heard that Soulseek is the best way to obtain obscure and unknown music. Isn't it also the best way to (pirately) obtain popular music? If not, what is?
>>
Spotify desktop and Bandcamp are free
>>
>>73547129
Yes, it's probably the best place for both, except maybe private trackers or rutracker. But for popular stuff that really doesn't matter.

Just know that for the really popular stuff there might be a filter on the search. So instead of searching "The Beatles Revolver" you would have to search "Revolver" and use the filter results option. Or you might just have to go to someone's profile and search their files specifically.
>>
>>73547174
>Spotify desktop and Bandcamp are free
How? Sure, some Bandcamp releases are "name your price" and Spotify is subscription based.
>>
>>73547261
On a desktop computer etc., Spotify is completely free of charge and completely free of advertisement. The phone version is what's nwverbfree unless you sort of jack your phone. However I've heard there might be some differences depending on country but Im in America and the desktop is free.

Bandcamp is always free to stream but again seems to be stricter on my phone and will lock me out after a certain number of times listening to a song which I think the number is determined by the artist etc. However my desktop doesn't seem to do that.
>>
>>73547342
>Spotify is completely free of charge and completely free of advertisement
Yeah not outside of America

>However my desktop doesn't seem to do that.
It depends on the artist, but there's no difference between desktop and phone.

Slsk is absolutely the best way to build your library. It also has just about every album in existence, whereas between Spotify and Bandcamp you can only scrape half the stuff you're looking for.
>>
>>73547803
>Spotify and Bandcamp you can only scrape half the stuff you're looking for.

This is very true
>>
>>73547129
Because popular artists tend to have massive discographies and any time I see some retard taking up my queue with 2GB of shit that can be found in a neat package seeded by 5000 people on whatever normalfag torrent site I tend to purge their downloads and block them if they can't get the hint after I've done it twice. Or block them right away if in a shit mood.
>>
>>73547913
>Or block them right away if in a shit mood.
Why?
>>
>>73547974
Because I'm probably in a very shit mood and in a state like that, things that generally piss a person off tend to have a more intense effect? That's how anger generally works.
>>
>>73548003
this is why i only share avant-teen shit
>>
Redacted is. Slsk might have some more obscure/low quality stuff but it finds its way to private trackers sometime or another just by the natures of the sites.
>>
>>73548003
But what if a person you've blocked has something you're looking for? Wouldn't it be inconvenient to just go blocking everyone when you're in a bad mood?
>>
>>73548027
What's the point really if there's such a high barrier to entry that most peope wouldn't even consider it worthy going through? Not to mention that what.cd operated very similarly and was eventually shut down.
>>
>>73548017
I'd love it if I could select sharing of only harder to find artists but my music folder consists of shitloads of artists, gets updated often, and there's also a separate folder for albums of artists I do not want the discography of. The horrendous UI that makes you add and remove directories one at a time makes selective sharing a nightmare with such a setup.
>>73548033
Where did I say it happens often?
>>
Tried soulseek 10 minutes ago and fuck this is great. Rip rutracker/redacted
>>
>>73548065
Don't forget to browse rooms too.
>>
>>73548055

>What's the point really if there's such a high barrier to entry that most peope wouldn't even consider it worthy going through?

This is a good thing, because it weeds out people who aren't serious/as interested in digital music piracy as some bumfuck ripping 128 kbps audio off a youtube video and transcoding that.

>what.cd operated very similarly and was eventually shut down

After almost nine years on a very reactionary response to one slip-up.
>>
>>73548133
>This is a good thing, because it weeds out people who aren't serious/as interested in digital music piracy as some bumfuck ripping 128 kbps audio off a youtube video and transcoding that.
YouTube is obviously not a place for downloading music, but how do private trackers help in the end? Isn't sharing outside of it prohibited?
>>
File: PON Front.jpg (15KB, 800x796px) Image search: [Google]
PON Front.jpg
15KB, 800x796px
>>73548133
By the way, could you find this album, given that you're presumably on a private tracker?
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/p_o_n_/p_o_n_/
Someone has already been able to find it in a similar thread, but in 256 kbps.
>>
File: flavors of piracy.png (395KB, 2000x1271px) Image search: [Google]
flavors of piracy.png
395KB, 2000x1271px
>>73548181

Private trackers are generally more curated and higher quality, with great organization to boot (except you, Waffles). See picture. Sharing outside of them is not prohibited at all, except for some niche trackers such as deepbassnine, and only for torrents marked "exclusive." Most private tracker users don't like that exclusivity either.

Should be noted I do upload on slsk too, and have used What/RED for the past seven years as well.
>>
>>73548243

Used to take requests all the time...would love to help you out but it's not on RED and the only thing I can find is the same 256 kbps on jpopsuki. Sorry.
>>
>>73548248
The organization is definitely better and this is my first time even looking at a screenshot of a music private tracker. Are you in a particular room on Soulseek? There are what.cd and similar rooms. Thanks for searching for the album though.
>>
>>73548370

I'm not. I don't usually join the rooms since I get spam from them.
>>
>>73548396
Do you have a recommendation of how to search for remastered versions of albums on Soulseek? Putting a year of the release after the name of the album doesn't always work, especially not for albums which are rare.
>>
>>73547129
Hack Spotify m8
>>
>>73548452
You can try putting the label it was released in the search, although that's also not a guarantee.
>>
>>73547129
Yes.

/thread
>>
Just out of interest - how dangerous is Soulseek to use for the unitiated/non tech-savvy? I use a mac and have downloaded a few bits and pieces from various people on there, and I just wanna know how likely I am to get my laptop all fucked up. Sorry if this is a noob question but I haven't used P2P software since I was a little dipshit kid on Limewire.
>>
>>73549189
scan your shit with a good antivirus like avira or nod32 if you're worried, and don't download anything .exe or .bat or something along those lines.
>>
File: 1497798683910.jpg (25KB, 500x358px) Image search: [Google]
1497798683910.jpg
25KB, 500x358px
>>73547174
>Spotify desktop
>free
>>
File: pingu.jpg (26KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
pingu.jpg
26KB, 512x512px
>user wants to download 1080p rips of the new Twin Peaks season, all 8 episodes
>48GB
>check his shares
>it's all shitty /mu/core; AnCo, Beach Boys, Death Grips, Beatles, NMH, you name it...
I banned him of course, and sent him insulting private messages.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.