[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does this board favours minimalism over maximalism in music

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: 1497851822742.gif (229KB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
1497851822742.gif
229KB, 360x270px
Why does this board favours minimalism over maximalism in music so much, to the point the latter is almost always disregarded as a talentless expression?
>>
What's the difference between minimalism or maximalism in music? I don't know what that means?
>>
File: Galaxy Garden.jpg (373KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Galaxy Garden.jpg
373KB, 1200x1200px
post fav minimalist album
>>
Popular music critics have always preferred minimalistic music because they prefer feminine things. It's influenced this board a lot
>>
>>73520153
I've always preferred maximalism in music. Dense instrumentation makes for a lovely atmosphere. The big problem is with more instruments and layers, there's a bigger chance to mess up than with minimalism, so I guess that might be why many prefer minimalism. I frankly find many albums underwhelming when they're too sparse.

Looking for recs? What type of stuff you like?
>>
you mean the classical style minimalism or the general aesthetic of minimalism?
i think people here tend to prefer minimalist classical to romanticism and earlier periods is because its simpler and easier to understand. you can just put it on in the background
>>
>>73520338
> minimalism
example:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXJWO2FQ16c

>maximalism
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4AqCrR_nAU

pay attention to both songs with good headphones

you should notice the difference
>>
File: loveless.jpg (109KB, 660x660px) Image search: [Google]
loveless.jpg
109KB, 660x660px
What about this album? It has walls and walls of different instruments and it's busy as fuck
>>
>>73520382
not OP but
nicolas collins - it was a dark and stormy night
autechre - gantz graf
nero's day at disneyland - from rotting fantasylands
>>
>>73520677
You own that Nero's Day At Disneyland album on CD? I've been unsuccessful in finding a copy that isn't super expensive
>>
>>73520420
bad minimalism example
>>
>>73520153
I believe the proper use of space and silence in music is underrated. Minimalist music doesn't have to be basic per se, this album has dozens of instruments fading in and out of the mix all the time but it doesn't sound grandiose or overblown for a second.
>>
File: cock.png (82KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
cock.png
82KB, 224x224px
>tfw maximalist music is trashed here and labelled with buzzwords while next door they're masturbating to german progressive rock
>>
>>73520420
that's not maximalist at all
>>
>>73521750
you know how compressed that fucking song is. nvm this is /mu/ nobody knows shit about music.
>>
>>73521832
I could listen to bach through a tin can and he'd still be maximalist
>>
>>73521858
>silly sounding palette utilizing synths, hi-hats, pitch shifted vocals, fast melodies, big bass-lines and even dolphin cackles isn't maximalist
/mu/ everyone.
bach is cool tho
>>
they're both very broad terms. i think nothing can beat a minimally structured song(like a blues or a punk song with 3 chords) but those are very busy sometimes which can lead to maximalism minimalism. math rock is always hard for me to like and understand because technically it's good and it's maximalist background and structure make it very lively but there's often not a lot being said. there's a lot of parts and it over complicates things making it less interesting for the listener, which makes it less popular.
>>
Neurological discharge and de-regulation goes flue and kablooie, it's all about chasing that great serpentine tail of eternal satisfaction only there is no AC/DC box-set at the end. A rich life of artistic fulfillment is the ultimate tease parked in the next life by the great chauffeur in the sky. We listen; they laugh! That's the memo! Keep it simple Bill: Boyd Rice and tempura, cystic acne! SWANS
>>
>>73521304
because yes is a lot of wank and not actually progressive

less is more, sometimes
>>
>>73520420
As much as I love Glass Swords, it is far from being maximalist to be honest. If anything, Hover Traps or Death Mountain from that same album would have been better examples of maximalism than Ultra Thizz (still wouldn't be great examples tho). Rustie is one of my favorite producers but I would not say any of his work is maximalist in the slightest.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.