[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

After how many listens should I give up on an album I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: 96f.png (37KB, 396x400px) Image search: [Google]
96f.png
37KB, 396x400px
After how many listens should I give up on an album I'm not feeling?
>>
>>73493165
Whats the context?
>>
>>73493165
Depends on what makes you not feel it. If I listen to something and I think its too over produced, vapid, or commercial I wont give it another listen. If something is vaguely boring, I'll give it another listen, since I will probably discover more on repeated listens. If something is "challenging", or just different from what I'm used to, I'll give it some more listens and see if I warm up to it. In most cases, I do.
>>
>>73493165
>when should I stop listening to music I don't like
>>
Sincerely it should only take you one full listen without any breaks, 2 is the maximum it should be and any more its best to find another hobby.
>>
Trout Mask Replica = 15
>>
>>73493165
What's the album?
>>
>>73493165
three listens are enough, after that you're just forcing yourself to enjoy it.
>>
>>73493165
about 4-5 times
>>
>>73493272
Yeah wtf, if I'm bored or not enjoying an album halfway through I turn it off.
>>
>>73493165
depends on the album and how much you actually enjoyed it
>>
>>73493165
half
>>
>>73493165
1. One listen. If nothing about catches your ear or interests you enough to bother with a second listen, then just rate it properly and then be done.
>>
>>73493165
>>73493636
Also this
>>73493710
And this
>>
>>73493165
>>
>>73493634
Enormous pleb
>>
Leave it to rot in your library after the first listen, if you happen to listen and like it later, so be it. Don't force it unless it's a notoriously difficult album/genre. For example, I forced myself to listen to harsh noise until I liked it, and now it's probably my favorite genre.
>>
>>73494147
>I forced myself to like noise

/mu/ in a nutshell
>>
File: kyss.jpg (71KB, 399x527px) Image search: [Google]
kyss.jpg
71KB, 399x527px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mere-exposure_effect
>>
>>73493165
You should listen to a track or two off of it and then decide if it's actually worth listening to. Then you give it one full listen to see if it's actually good.

Sometimes it feels like one listen isn't quite enough and then you listen another time.

Only fucking idiots waste their lives listening to albums that they're not feeling multiple times.
>>
>>73494405
Things that can take longer to understand and apprieciate can be more rewarding and open your horizons. Just because you hate something now, you may be on a late car ride on a quiet night and a song that you hated before suddenly makes more sense and you notice layers you'd missed in your already turned off state.
>>
if i'm feeling an album on first play then i always get bored after a few listens
>>
depends on how you feel, do you have doubts about it? If you have no doubts, don't listen anymore. If you think you might get hooked, keep listening. It took me more than 10 listens to "get" Kind of Blue when I first started listening to jazz. Now I think it's awesome. I did it because I knew I would start to enjoy it eventually, I could tell.
>>
>>73494453
this is why people like top 40 music
>>
>>73493179
This if you're really confident in your taste.
>>73493200
This if you just want to make sure

And you can always wait several months-year(s) because tastes evolve and maybe you just weren't ready yet.
>>
>>73494482
nope, the best albums are the ones that grow on you. If you enjoy it straight away, it's gonna get boring quick and it won't be a classic for you. No time for it to grow on you = no attachment
>>
>>73493165
I bought Anthrax: Among the Living in September, and didn't really get it until April. Give it time
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.