[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was glam rock really that terrible or was it just memes perpetrated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

Was glam rock really that terrible or was it just memes perpetrated by edgelords in the 90s after grunge took over?
>>
>>73471171
Glam rock is proto-punk made by homos
You're talking about Glam Metal
It was fun as fuck and only beta males disagree
Shit talking glam metal was perpetuated by record company marketing teams in the 90's after they stopped making them money.
>>
Glam metal was an early to mid-80s thing, after 1985 it was just a self-parody made of manufactured boybands that the record industry kept alive artificially for a few more years.
>>
80s glam to 70s glam like eno and roxy music is like brostep to actual dubstep
>>
>>73471216
>It was fun as fuck and only beta males disagree
>Shit talking glam metal was perpetuated by record company marketing teams in the 90's after they stopped making them money

Poison, Winger et al were just buttrock garbage for middle schoolers. Nobody with any taste listened to them.
>>
Every week back then you go to the record store and there were more and more of these bands. All of them had exactly the same vocals, chord progressions, shredder solos, and power ballads (that one was for radio play). They'd all copy a few of Eddie Van Halen's more obvious tricks without truly understanding how his playing style worked.

The stuff was pretty much a watered down, laboratory-concocted blend of Led Zeppelin, Exile-era Stones, AC/DC, and Van Halen.
>>
>>73471459
cockrock, not buttrock you plem.
If you don't have a smile on your face when talk dirty to me plays on the radio then you are just a curmudgeon.
>>
It's pretty bad all joking aside
>>
Christgau reviewed more hair metal albums than he did "real" metal like Dio, Maiden, and Megadeth. Lyl what a hack.
>>
>>73471627
that's just because hair metal had some of the ol' Chuck Berry feel to it
>>
>>73471171
Silly anon its both
>>
>>73471216
>Shit talking glam metal was perpetuated by record company marketing teams in the 90's after they stopped making them money.
So just like the disco sucks meme?
>>
>>73471289
t. /mu/ drone
>>
File: Poison.jpg (48KB, 594x331px) Image search: [Google]
Poison.jpg
48KB, 594x331px
The really extreme big hair/spandex look was mid-80s anyway, by the time you get to 1989-90 nobody was still dressing like that.

See here: 1986...
>>
>>73471712
t. /metal/
>>
File: ob8f87cvpoison.jpg (988KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
ob8f87cvpoison.jpg
988KB, 1600x1067px
>>73471757
>>
>>73471171
Glam rock was fun, but it was even more fun when you combined it with grunge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7CPIXnaeeQ
>>
>>73471515
I was in high school back then and the metalheads were totally insufferable, loud, and annoying, also they'd graffiti band logos on the bathroom walls or carve them into desks. Like you'd sit down to lunch in the school cafeteria and there would be an Iron Maiden logo scratched into the tabletop. The alternative/punk kids were much quieter and more subtle, you usually could only detect them from their unusual fashion sense.
>>
>>73471171
It was by design pretty fun and vapid. What became unbearable was when they all realized they could be rich from making power ballads and then they all made power ballads. And with Radio being what it was back then, you would hear maybe 20 power ballads a day, all following the same formula.
>>
>>73471956
I was just in a thrift store the other day and they had a classic hits station playing, and Aerosmith--Angel comes up. Yeech, all the worst aspects of the 80s on one song.
>>
there's some good glam metal out there

ratt, early motley crue, twisted sister, dokken
>>
>>73471706
Disco sucks meme came from 70's /pol/ that hated the cultural degeneracy it was promoting to children (hedonism, drug use, casual sex, faggotry)
>>
There are three ways to view Glam metal:

1: pretty terrible, gimmick centric music designed to get laid. No real talented musicians.

2. A kitsch response to the overly obsessed masculine image of punk rock in LA at the time. Needed to keep rock music present in mainstream radio. Basically, it's fun to dress up and piss off people.

3. Ironically like it to feign some sort of poptimist sincerity.
>>
File: Dee Snider.jpg (396KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Dee Snider.jpg
396KB, 2000x1000px
The record industry has always worked the same way, or I should say it did work the same way since there's no record industry anymore. But you know what I mean--back when there was a record industry. Any time some new, exciting, cutting-edge band like a Twisted Sister or a Nirvana comes along that makes people go "Whoa, who's that?", the industry takes it, studies it, and figures out how they can market it. So the way it worked was metal bands would have two kinds of songs--one, the power ballad which was for radio play, and two, the rocker for cred purposes, and it was only going to be played on rock radio. But eventually, they decided to drop the cred track and have only power ballads. And then it got even better because then they got rid of the electric guitars altogether and do acoustic songs. So now you end up with a bunch of idiots on bar stools strumming guitars like a fucking folk band.
>>
>>73472124
>So now you end up with a bunch of idiots on bar stools strumming guitars like a fucking folk band.

What something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31k_DB8KVQM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrIiLvg58SY
>>
>>73472157
Exactly. And, oh, boy, this one too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcOoymRN6kQ
>>
>Wrathchild
>RATT
>Faster Pussycat
>Skid Row
>Mötley Crüe (First three albums)
>Shotgun Messiah
>Vinnie Vincent Invasion
>Cinderella
>Stryper
>L.A. Guns
>Dokken

These are the only truly good glam metal/sleaze rock bands.
>>
>>73471171
Poison had one or two good songs, but, other than Steel Panther, Glam was/still is an acronym for Gay L.A. Metal and it still sucks.
>>
File: Ronnie Dio.jpg (36KB, 600x558px) Image search: [Google]
Ronnie Dio.jpg
36KB, 600x558px
When the MTV era started, things became hard for us, especially us older guys who came up before the video age. We were forced to do something we completely opposed in order to compete. It became less of a Led Zeppelin world and more of a Bon Jovi world. So eventually you end up with these...things in makeup (holds up copy of Look What The Cat Dragged In). That's not metal. It was a complete insult to everything we'd worked hard for years to build.
>>
>>73471550
that's the gayest thing i've ever read
>>
>>73472184
>It became less of a Led Zeppelin world and more of a Bon Jovi world
They weren't that different in terms of image.
They both played stadium rock too.
>>
>>73471171
no, it was categorically garbage

can't wait for the revisionist tripe a decade from now to look fondly on 00s metalcore and deathcore
>>
Hair metal was basically the industry trying to market metal to girls, since you didn't find a whole lot of chicks at a Dio or Slayer concert, and bands like Poison, Motley Crue, and (of course) Bon Jovi had a mostly female fanbase.

I mean, what sells better to 13 year old girls? Some baby-faced guy with his shirt open singing power ballads or...a 40-something manlet singing about wizards and dragons?
>>
>>73472067

You'd think /pol/ would be up in arms about dance music these days then (maybe they are idk)
>>
>>73472290
>I mean, what sells better to 13 year old girls? Some baby-faced guy with his shirt open singing power ballads or...a 40-something manlet singing about wizards and dragons?

Dio actually tried power ballads for a while. That worked out real well, didn't it? It was apparently his wife's bright idea.
>>
>>73472296
They pretty much think all popular music is degenerate trash.
>>
>>73471766
Poison tried to get a little more blues rock on Flesh & Blood (Brett Michaels is a big blues enthusiast in case you didn't know). Then after grunge happened, they sported ripped jeans and mud-splattered guitars and replaced CC Deville with a different guitarist who could play blues rock. It was a noble effort that didn't pan out because Brett just doesn't know how to write anything but party rock.
>>
>>73472308
All those older first generation metal guys got pushed off the charts as thrash took over.
>>
>>73472290
/thread
>>
>>73472296
Too busy making epic frog memes and putting a washed up reality star in the white house
>>
>>73472427
Huffington Post is that way, dude. ------>
>>
>>73472352
does /pol/ actually like any music?
>>
>>73472454

Probably 90s alternative rock and video game soundtracks
>>
>>73472439
"shadilay my bro white power"

Can I stay now?
>>
>>73472454
Wagner operas I would guess.
>>
>>73472089
>1: pretty terrible, gimmick centric music designed to get laid. No real talented musicians.
So, basically KISS.
>>
Its not like Grunge wasnt shit.
>>
>>73472484
yeah this might be the only thing i can see being the "accepted" music really

>>73472470
and this is probably what most of them actually listen to
>>
Is it gay to say that I'd fuck the faith out of 80's era Robert Sweet?
>>
Grunge was a really unusual thing and I don't think the record labels would ever let it happen again. Normally, they want catchy, poppy, danceable music that can be played on the radio, and Pearl Jam and AiC were the polar opposite of that.
>>
the funny thing about grunge and hair metal is musically, they're more alike than they are different
>>
>>73472526
Not quite, most grunge bore a closer resemblance soundwise to 70s AOR (lots of pentatonic riffs and blues solos) than glam rock, which generally had power chords and shredder solos.
>>
>>73472540
yeah, good point about the solos, that's a big difference. but i think you could make the argument that they're equally divergent from 70's glam rock
>>
>>73472540
In fact, arguably GNR were the first band to revive that 70s rock sound.
>>
>>73472558
That is true, Guns were huge fans of Exile-era Stones and Aerosmith, and they wanted to revive that stuff.
>>
>>73472489
Yeah but when KISS did it in the 70s, at least the idea was fresh. By the late 80s, it was just sickening.
>>
>HERES THE THING ABOUT EDDIE...
>>
>>73472599
lyl KISS were nauseating by the time the 70s ended. it got to the point where you could get beaten up for being a fan.
>>
>>73471171

It was overdone in the 1980's to where it became formulaic and repetitive and annoying. Glam in the 70's produced some excellent music though and the visuals were quite stunning.
>>
>>73472496
Nice may may. But Post-Grunge was pretty shit.
>>
>>73472526
I always think it's funny that Any Wood and AiC were both involved in hair metal like projects.
>>
>>73472623
When my dad was in college, he said he remembered going to this record store and that they had a bunch of KISS posters on the wall, but he didn't see anyone buying their albums. Also he noticed the posters were conveniently placed way the fuck in the back of the store where it was hard to see them. I guess that shows what the employees at that record store thought of KISS.
>>
>>73472454
>>73472470
>>73472484
I've been in music threads on /pol/ and actually I think a lot of people on /pol/ listen to metal. Like sabaton and ensiferum and likely a lot of heavier stuff too. Then again that may just be the neo-pagans on /pol/.
>>
>>73471171
you ever look at a thread and know it's going to have people insecure about their masculinity in it
>>
>>73472708
Except only girls listened to these bands back in the day.
>>
>>73472688
And at that time you could run into older guys bitching about how rock in the mid-70s had degenerated and they wished it was still the Woodstock days.
>>
>>73471171

It was a marketing experiment in getting young women to buy heavy metal records, it worked, and it's objectively awful to listen to
>>
>>73472814
Normal chicks. I mean, my sister would have been in the Slayer pit if she'd been around in 1988, but that's just her.
>>
>>73472814
The record industry had been trying to sell rock albums to women since Bread and the Doobie Brothers.
>>
>>73473062
Since the 50s you mean.
>>
File: christgau4.jpg (24KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
christgau4.jpg
24KB, 300x225px
Whitesnake [Geffen, 1987]

The main attraction of this veteran pop metal act has got to be total predictability--the glistening solos, the surging crescendos, the macho love rhymes, the tune you can hum before the verse is over. Who cares if they're an obscure nine year old vehicle for the guy who fronted Deep Purple five years before that? Rock and roll's ninth or tenth "generation" of frightened high school boys can claim them as their own. May they pass from the ether before the current crop of 11 year olds sprouting pubes claim their MTV. D

Slip of the Tongue [Geffen, 1989]

They've gotten lucky and they don't intend to let go. With hired hand Steve Vai operating all guitars and who knows what other assorted geegaws, they've consolidated the essence of all arena--pomp, flash, male sentimentality. This is now the worst band in the world. So you just move over, Journey. (Hey? Where is Journey anyway?) D+
>>
Pyromania [Mercury, 1983]

Fuckin' right new heavy metal is different from old heavy metal. The new stuff is about five silly beats faster. And the "new" metal singers all sound free, white, and more-or-less twenty one. C+

Hysteria [Mercury, 1987]

You know about the music and if you don't think you'll like it, you won't--impeccable pop metal of no discernible substance--completely irrelevant to everyone except AOR programmers and the several million addicts of the genre. In short, it's product, but it's interesting product because it's made for the CD age. Stuck with over an hour of material after four years (how long can 12 songs be?), and being astute technocrats who've conceived for hour-long formats, namely cassette tapes, which outsell vinyl discs now, and CDs, which out-dollar them, they've eclectically decided to put it all on one album. I find the cassette sound a little dim, as commercial cassette sound tends to be, and while I do appreciate the depth of the vinyl once I turn my stereo up to 8 or 9, the CD's clarity comes through decisively as the needle approaches the outgroove. I mean, I have trouble perceiving these guys as human beings under ordinary circumstances. Not docked a notch because at least they didn't pad it into a double. B-

Adrenalize [Mercury, 1992] *bomb*
>>
Glam Metal is to the 80s, what Prog was to the 70s.

Absolute trash that brought about better music as a reaction to it.
>>
>>73474059
In both cases, the music in question was just a zombie version of something that had been relevant a couple years earlier. In the case of prog, it had its day in the early 70s and by the time Kansas et al happened, it was already a self-parody. Genesis knew the jig was up which was why they moved away from prog in mid-decade, unfortunately Yes didn't get the message and decided to ride the Titanic down to the bottom of the ocean.

As for glam metal, its heyday was in 1982-85. By 1988, it was long dead and just being propped up ala Weekend at Bernie's.
>>
>>73471515
>The stuff was pretty much a watered down, laboratory-concocted blend of Led Zeppelin, Exile-era Stones, AC/DC, and Van Halen.

I think VH pretty much spawned the entire genre...they were the Kings of Sunset Strip - The Whiskey, Gazzari;s etc....when their debut broke...

All the cheesy hair bands wanted to be VH- The singer wanted to be DLR and the guitar players EVH,
>>
>>73472157
>What something like this?

except that Extreme sing is actually pretty good...and the rest of the album was full on rip snortin rock.
>>
>>73475042
>I think VH pretty much spawned the entire genre

VH spawned Hair metal AND shred metal.
>>
>>73472454
I think they mostly like shitty metal, would assume that they hate any kind of hip-hop. Further than that I don't think they even know about half of the shit on here minus ITAOTS and co.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.