[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>am 18 years old >never listened to music before except

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: original_460.jpg (1MB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
original_460.jpg
1MB, 1000x1000px
>am 18 years old
>never listened to music before except classical music and a few jazz songs
>e.g. I only heard the name "Pink Floyd", didn't really listen to actual music of the band.

Where do I start listening to actual music /mu/? Which genre should I try first? I want to be reasonably knowledgeable about music. How do I do it?
>>
Start by this...
>>
Listen to the white album.
>>
>>73453821
https://rateyourmusic.com/customchart just start at the top and work your way down
>>
listen to sleng teng riddim
>>
>>73453821
here u go
>>
>>73453821
How did this even happen? Super conservative parents? By choice/lack of interest?
>>
>>73453888
Mostly lack of interest.
>>
>>73453849
best recommendation if you want to start out by being patrician. Also make sure you don't become a "rock only" faggot. Try Run the Jewels, Danny Brown and Death Grips.
>>
>>73453979
this is a pleb op. lots of these guys pretend to be patrician but don't know shit.
>>
File: IMG_2145.jpg (601KB, 505x807px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2145.jpg
601KB, 505x807px
>>73453849
Here. I made this list of all the albums actually worth listening to. Some people will try to argue against the list or complain or try to tell you other albums not on it, but these are generally the elite albums worth actually listening to.
>>
>>73453979
>best recommendation if you want to start out by being patrician
>guy is such an autist he doesn't even get irony
I really hate this board
>>
>>73453821
Start by listening to the beatles discography in chronological order, later report on what you like and didn't then get recs based on that.
>>
If we're going to help you, we'll need you to be more specific.

1) What makes you interested in getting into music?
2) Is there a certain sound or concept you're looking for?
3) would you like to get album recs or band recs?
4) Do you feel like you understand the deal with music?
>>
Some various cool things in various styles worth checking out:

Helmut Walcha - Johann Sebastian Bach's The Art Of Fugue (complex melodically and harmonically)

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (great easy to understand example of improvisation)

Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness (fast tempo, visceral, intense, driven)

Swans - Soundtracks For The Blind (variety of timbres and styles all in one)

Sasha And Digweed - Northern Exposure (upbeat but not super fast with moments of ambient bits; great for dancing)

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds (sissy boy pretentious shit that's felated on this site)
>>
>>73454003
>"but these are generally the elite albums worth actually listening to."
>it's just a bunch of the most entry-level /mu/core you can find
>>
>>73453821
Nice pasta
>>
>>73455178
To be fair, those are all very good albums.
>>
>>73453821
Never fall for the hip hop meme
>>
>>73454003
>Picking the wrong VU album
>>
>>73453821
Use Rateyourmusic.

Askfm is a pretty broken site. I also find it hard to actually use effectively.

Rate any little thing you've heard on RYM, and then use the auto-reccomendations to find new stuff once you've listened to a good number of albums. Keeping your RYM to yourself assures that you won't start rating things based on fashionability. Don't be ashamed of using RYM to find stuff. It's the easiest way.

If you want to know what "everybody listens to" or "entry level shit", just go down the top list on the site. I started by rating 100 albums or so and then using my reccomendations to guide me further.

Another "entry level" source is the /mu/ wiki chart section, particularly "mu-core" charts.

A lot of people are going to give me shit, but an alternative set of "entry level" albums are those considered good by Piero Scaruffi. They can be found either on scaruffi.com or more accessibly in organized form at https://rateyourmusic.com/list/SellMeAGod/scaruffitize_me__capn__pt__1/

Listen to what you like.
>>
File: u4h6t9ihjh9y.png (412KB, 900x546px) Image search: [Google]
u4h6t9ihjh9y.png
412KB, 900x546px
Abbey Road
Revolver
Pet Sounds
OK Computer
Kid A
The Velvet Underground & Nico
Come on and Feel the Illinoise!
Currents
Rain Dogs
Remain in Light
In the Court of the Crimson King
Hot Rats
Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
Spiderland
Illmatic
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Madvillainy
good kid, m.A.A.d city
Unknown Pleasures
Loveless
Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
The Doors
Pink Moon
Since I Left You
Endtroducing....
The Money Store
Deathconsciousness
London Calling
American Football
Blonde on Blonde
The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Perfect From Now On
Boston
Another Green World
Merriweather Post Pavilion
Soundtracks For The Blind
The Queen Is Dead
Paranoid
Led Zeppelin IV
Tago Mago
Future Days

listen to all of these and you're now an entry level hipster faggot
>>
>>73453866
>Low comes in before Heroes

Reeeee!
>>
>>73453880
>desert shore that high up
I disagree with almost everything else but that alone makes this chart good
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.