[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why did it take me SO MANY relistens to like Red House Painters?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

File: file.png (3MB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
3MB, 1280x1280px
why did it take me SO MANY relistens to like Red House Painters?

It's not like it was my first slowcore
>>
>>73442399
good music takes time to like tbqh
>>
>>73442399
At what point does listening to something waiting for the intricacies of it to grow on you turn into Stockholming yourself into liking it?
Also Rollercoaster > DCH
>>
Slowcore albums always sound boring to me the first time
It takes time and attention for it to sink in
>>
>>73442450
I liked Ocean Beach a lot after the first listen actually, not had time to get used to that one yet
>>
>>73442416
This honestly. I got into Songs for a Blue Guitar before getting into Down Colorful Hill and whaddaya know? It's not as good as DCH.
>>
File: mark.jpg (19KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
mark.jpg
19KB, 400x600px
who /bridge/ here
>>
>>73442963
The good things about Bridge:
>Helicopter
>New Jersey
>Uncle Joe
The bad:
>I Am a Rock
>Star Spangled Banner

Who /oldramon/?
>>
>>73442450
I'm tired of the Stockholm Syndrome observation. Stockholm Syndrome is not hanging around your captors until their personality "clicks" with you.
>>
>>73443007
>>73443007
>>73442963
i honestly just listen to dch and retrospective
retro has this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLTWr6RSQeg
>>
I love that whole album except the first track. I hate how the first track is like 3 songs stitched together. Am i the only one who feels this way?
>>
>>73443007
I fucking love those "bad" tracks
Also
>not mentioning blindfold or evil
>>
>>73443044
24 sets the tone of the album and is very crucial to it iMO. yeah its not as replayable as the others because of how the message is hard to swallow for most of us who are getting closer to that age. but nah i love it
>>
>>73442399
That album cover makes me want to fucking kill myself
>>
>>73443069
What is that message? I'm not good at picking up on lyrical meanings.
>>
>intentionally listening to something that you don't like
>continuing to do so, despite not enjoying the experience
fucking autistic faggots
>>
because you're too slow
>>
>>73443069
Its not the lyrics or message i hate, i just feel like that song "flows" horribly. Like I said, it sounds like 3 sperate songs that akwardly transition into eachother
>>
>>73443093
I always revisit music I thought was interesting but couldn't get into initially. If you dismiss everything that doesn't click you'd miss out on a lot of great music.
>>
>>73443081
As you get older you feel just as scared and unsure about the world as you did when you were young but you also feel closer to death. Its basically a song about how much getting old sucks
>>
>>73443044
>>73443069
24 is my favorite track from DCH and maybe my favorite RHP song. I don't know why a track being varied would make it undesirable. Personally, Down Colorful Hill is probably my least favorite track from DCH. I don't know what that says about me.
>>
>>73442399
Honestly RHP is juvenilia compared to SKM
>>
>>73442963
Uncle Joe is, alongside Japanese To English and Strawberry Hill, some of the most powerful and painful music I've ever heard.

>AND I AM NOT VERY WELL-READ
>AND DID YOU SAY I WILL LOSE MY HOUSE

>>73443007
How the fuck can you not like I Am A Rock? It's a masterful cover.
>>
>>73443081
he thinks the older he gets the wiser he'll become but when 24 is coming around hes realizing maybe he hasn't learned "much" and maybe never will. He knows the aging process will never just stop . each day he gets closer to death.

probably doing the message injustice tho!
>>
>>73443144
Perhaps my feeling doesn't count and I don't know what it's really like because I'm not quite at that age yet but even at 22 I already feel that.
>>
>>73443114
its supposed to be awkward tbqh. talking about death will always be awkward. im probably giving mark more credit than he deserves
>>
File: 1492980969684.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1492980969684.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
>>73442399
>why did it take me SO MANY relistens to like

you basically forced yourself to enjoy it.
it's not a bad thing per se, but i don't think it's healthy.
>>
>>73443231
Taste can change. Sometimes you relisten to an album because you see its potential or that there is something interesting about it. It's not forcing yourself to like it.
>>
>>73443143
there's a difference between thinking something is interesting enough for a second listen and just not liking it (which is what i took from OP).
I would have missed a lot of music if i wasn't intrigued enough for a second listen, but i never intentionally listened to stuff again that I disliked.
>>
>>73442399

I liked this album instantly. It's almost like people are very different
>>
>>73443093
>>73443289
yeah I wasn't interested at all on the first couple of listens, but I love other slowcore bands and Sun Kil Moon albums so it just didn't make sense that I wouldn't like it

maybe the problem is DCH is too easy to ignore if you're not deliberately paying attention, I'm not sure

>>73443316
wow i am amazed that people are different surely it is not true
>>
>>73443048
Blindfold is 10/10
>>
>>73443347
>maybe the problem is DCH is too easy to ignore if you're not deliberately paying attention
I've played RHP around normies and they'd dismiss it as background music pretty much immediately without giving it further consideration. It is true that you need to really just block out some time to sit down and listen to it without doing anything else to "get" it.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.