[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one get good at writing lyrics? I just want to be able

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_4055.jpg (61KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4055.jpg
61KB, 800x800px
How does one get good at writing lyrics? I just want to be able to express my thoughts without sounding cringey.
>>
Just practice writing, even if it's fucking nursery rhymes. No one writes a masterpiece on their first try
>>
Take a creative writing course
>>
>>73418200
Remember your curiosity and your pain and let your imagination melt together. Hopefully you were a good reader once upon in a time in your life because that it will be a bulk of your engine. You need to know words to describe yourself eloquently. Also forget completely about your comfort when writing, try to speak honestly in the most creative way you can. There's always one thing that each lyric says but a good lyricists leans to play with finding how to say the same thing in different ways. Ex: "My ex girlfriend really hates me" or you could say "my dead heart needs a new start, because she took it apart." Something like that
>>
>>73418270
This desu

They actually help. Anyone who says they're a good writer without taking courses is full of shit 99/100 times
>>
You are thinking about it too hard.
Go for a walk. Walk around for like, one or two hours with no place to go. Don't take your phone, don't take your music player. But take your notepad and pen. Do this frequently.
>>
>>73418369
>talks like he knows
Lol Shh.
>>
>>73418200
>express my thoughts
>not cringey

Just save your time and don't start
>>
>>73418406
>its impossible for anyone to know more than I do :D:D:D:D
>>
File: 1491532642161.jpg (46KB, 540x541px) Image search: [Google]
1491532642161.jpg
46KB, 540x541px
>>73418406
>>
>>73418200
Remember that the lyrics don't have to be meaningful to anyone but you, so just write how you feel. It also helps to err on the side of minimalism/ambiguity. As our good pal Abe Lincoln said, "its better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
>>
>>73418457
"Keeping it simple" is more difficult than you think. I always end up dumping everything on paper, then I'd have to cut cut cut cut, and the end result is still too long.
>>
File: 1495589856632-pol.jpg (66KB, 720x707px) Image search: [Google]
1495589856632-pol.jpg
66KB, 720x707px
>>73418200
What helped me stop writing cliche/cringey lyrics, and to stop writing songs about girls/love, was to start by thinking about the vocal melody and cadence. At the start, any words will do. I start with a cringey placeholder, and try to get a cadence and melody sorted out that works with the music. After that, i substitue new lyrics by singing the melody and improvising words. Eventually something interesting comes out, and that forms a theme for subsequent lines. Repeat throughout the song and then you're done. Something that sounds good, is cohesive, and isnt cringey or cliche.

TLDR It's all about iteration. Let it be cringey at first, then modify it.
>>
>>73418200
Write political songs. People love those! Just trying to help. :)
>>
>>73418492
Idk then. I've never written lyrics but I suggest doing what a lot of musicians do, and try to copy your favorite artists. Read through their lyrics and try to pick up how they say what they say. Musicians aren't gods, they're just normal people who practice making music
>>
>>73418582
>Let it be cringey at first, then modify it
This
Nothing is perfect the first time through. It's all about the editing
>>
>>73418582
This anon's pretty right, actually. Cringe-inducing lyrics are common in no small part due to how easy it is for them to alright musically speaking. Once you find the right sound you can modify the lyrics fairly easily.
>>
try to imitate someone else's style at first and then you'll develop your own after a while

literally what everyone does
>>
Imagery. Instead of saying how you feel, describe things that imply those feelings.
>>
>>73418398
sound advice anon, not op but thanks
>>
>>73419157
you kidding thats some shitty woowoo advice that might help some people but is in no way universally applicable. this is actually practical advice >>73418582
>>
>>73418435
>>73418438
>people who will never write anything of value
>>
The better question would be how does someone create vocal rythms and melodies that work well with the music. I have a hard time not simply reading my lyrics spoken word
>>
>>73419518
think of the vocals as an instrument first, and then retrofit actual words to it. just have the first pass for a vocal track be meaningless humming
>>
>>73419599
That sounds good Anon. But how would you go about incorporating certain lines that you really want to use together in the same song?
>>
Read ancient literature.
Your rythm and vocabulary will grow like you wouldn't believe
>>
>>73418200
read and read and read. write and write and write. read things you like. loosely base what you write based on those things. you won't be good at writing anything good for a long time, but that's the point. if you start working now you will have made undeniable progress within a single year.
>>
>>73418200
Practice writing
Get into poetry
Maybe read some plays
>>
By not frogposting like cancer
>>
>>73420226
Are you blind? That's obviously a squid. Besides, only redditors hate frogs
>>
>>73418200
If it sounds cringey it's probably because your idea is.
>>
>>73418369
>thinks school is the best way to improve on creative thought
embarassing really, I'm sure all the greatest song writers or writers in general took fucking creative writing classes.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.