[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Albums which are massive and are barely spoken about. In

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: anderwwk.png (275KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
anderwwk.png
275KB, 512x512px
>Albums which are massive and are barely spoken about.

In this thread we basically talk about albums which are interesting/good, yet no one talks about them. So here we give them a listen and discuss them.
I am trying to digest in Close Calls With Brick Walls / Mother of Mankind

This album is a combination of two albums and some unreleased stuff from Andrew W.K, it has some really good stuff and is experimental at stuff, yet this album is not known at all yet it features some awesome tracks.
>>
>>73412608
CCWBW suffered from the weirdness surrounding the persona of Andrew WK and, IIRC, originally was released in Japan only. By the time it came out in the states the hype from I Get Wet settled down, and the Wolf wasn't that big in the first place, so only die-hard fans and conspiracy theory enthusiasts really gave a shit about it. Also a lot of people claimed WK abandoned his party shtick during the production, which didn't help either - listening to tracks like I Want to See You Go Wild or Pushing Drugs would prove them wrong, but no one does for aforementioned reasons.

I think it's pretty cool. It doesn't reach I Get Wet levels of hype through its more "party" tracks, and the highs aren't high enough to forgive the fact that it's all over the place, but still, pretty cool.
>>
>>73412681
I Want To See You Go Wild is one of my favorite tracks from him, when the experimentation works it works, I Came For You nicely in my opinion proves Andrew W.K could make good music without just being stuck with party anthems.

It isn't as hype as I Get Wet but I really like how diverse it is, its messiness is almost attracting to try and figure out what the hell is going on with the entire album. I am really surprised Andrew W.K decided to do thsi when he could have just released "I Get Wet Pt.2" which even The Wolf really wasn't, The Wofl seems much more serious, The Wolf is much ore about Andrew W.K being straight about it being an album about empowering you and getting you through tough times while I Get Wet is really purely about partying. Features also some of his best lyrics.
>>
>>73412730
Yeah, but at the time the image of Andrew WK was strongly associated with positive partying, while CCWBW has a much darker tone. The Wolf was serious, sure, but it was uplifting and motivational - not saying tracks like One Brother aren't, in a way, but the whole album came out of left field. Some people who have loved his first couple albums might have not liked his new works, and people who haven't listened to him before wouldn't have bothered to get to know him because of the same "dumb fun" image. It's divisive at the least.

I still prefer I Get Wet's cohesiveness and The Wolf's inspiration (Totally Stupid actually made me cry a bit), but as a whole, CCWBW/MoM probably has more good songs. It's due to the fact that it's bigger than both albums before it, yeah, but it's still a really good album, just released at an unfortunate time. Or perhaps that was just their marketing campaign backfiring horribly.
>>
>>73412841
That is what made the CCWBW so interesting for me, the sudden change of tone, there was some motivational speeches behind it, for sure, but then you got songs like "Kill Yourself", I think the name of that song speaks for itself.

That song in particular caught my attention, I really like it, but it is one of the darker songs which doesn't bluntly tell the listener not to commit suicide, instead it emphasizes with the listener, it's basically "I know how you feel, really, I do".

It was a risk, which I guess didn't pay off, but it makes for some interesting songs which proves Andrew is a really talented guy, his image unfortunately made it really hard for him to branch out into different genres or types of music, even though he totally had the talent to do so, you could say the "I Get Wet" album was a gift and also curse for him.
As for marketing, did the album even have any marketing?

Anyway, I think it's also interesting to discuss this, since from what I've seen on Andrew W.K's Twitter, the guy is doing a tour and is releasing a new album. It's been some time and I expected him not to release anymore stuff, once again, not a lot of people really know this is happening, at least for now. I'd like the guy to have more attention. Maybe the new album will give him that.
>>
>>73412937
Kill Yourself was a turning point for me as well. When I first listened to it, coming straight from his previous albums, I kind of expected to break out into one of his party ballads again at any second and subvert the message, but then the track ended and I was just thinking "huh, weird". At some point later I listened to it again, and then to the rest of the album, and the albums before it, except this time I tried to actually focus on the lyrics. Maybe I'm imagining things, but after that, I Get Wet, the whole album, sounded a bit different. Can't quite place my finger on it - the message and the general feel is still the same, but something has definitely changed. For me, at least.
>As for marketing, did the album even have any marketing?
It's a long and inconclusive story, but about at the same time CCWBW was bound to release a guy named Steev Mike (or a group of people under a collective name) hacked his website and claimed he was the real Andrew WK. Naturally, it became an interesting topic, lots of people showed various degrees of interest, that kind of stuff. WK gave a few interviews about that, but his answers were very vague, so one of the theories is that the whole thing was fake and they were just trying to drum up the attention for his new album - except at some point it became a legal matter and the album wasn't released in US at all.
>>
>>73412608
Swear to God if he only plays songs from I Get Wet this November, i'll go nuts.
>>
>>73413093
It's the only album normies know from him.
>>
>>73413093
I expects omething from his new upcoming album.
>>
MoM is my 2nd fav Andrew album desu. (behind IGW obvs)
I know that feel.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.