/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is he the new Anthony Fantano of /mu/? https://www.youtube.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: tmranalysis.png (332KB, 861x491px) Image search: [Google]
tmranalysis.png
332KB, 861x491px
Is he the new Anthony Fantano of /mu/?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU
>>
>>73404856
>31:50
nope.
>>
>>73404856
i wish
>>
/mu/ isn't smart enough to parrot this guy's opinions, they just link the video
>>
ewww he needs a better mic setup or something nigga sounds like he's stirring mac n cheese
>>
No, because Samuel actually analyzes the music and speaks of its composition and arrangements.
Fantano is only capable of using decriptive terms like "RATTLING HI-HATS".
>>
>>73404885

millenials everyone
>>
>>73404856
Apart from tmr, the music he covers is not the stuff that /mu/ listens to. He usually does classical music. The Trout Mask video was special.
>>
>>73404856
He mostly talks about classical music and modern stuff, so no, he isn't.

The video is great though
>>
>>73404972
Adjective stacking is not competent reviewing.
>>
>>73404856
This video really creates more questions than it answers. How did Captain Beefheart know that all these things would work together? Did he even have any idea what he was doing when he wrote this? Is the song actually complex or does the analysis just make it seem more complicated than it actually is, and the song is actually just a bunch of unrelated musical ideas mashed together?
>>
>>73405008
Yes it is. It's supposed to give you a descriptive measure of what the music sounds like. Painting a picture of the whole. Whereas Samuel is breaking things down to mechanics of how music works.

Both are worthwhile methods of analyzing music.
>>
>>73405056
He does a follow up video where he interviews the drummer. It's pretty interesting. Also, if you can read music, you know damn well that shit isn't easy to play.
>>
>>73404979

He also did a Tom Waits song. He's not entirely doing classical music.
>>
>>73405089
Well I'm not questioning the technicality of it, but just because something is hard to play doesn't necessarily mean it's complex in every musical aspect.
>>
No, he's actually knowledgeable about music
>>
>>73404856
i can hear his disgusting lip smacking
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv-I-CNv3JI

this video is amazing
>>
>>73405170
The notes he uses certainly aren't out of the ordinary. The idea of playing different time signatures at the same time is very out there, especially for popular music. The same goes for several unique playing styles the band used on the album, such as the cardboard in the drums and strumming chords on the bass. Also, seven different "sections" in a song under 2 minutes is pretty crazy.
>>
File: gangsta as fuck.png (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
gangsta as fuck.png
1MB, 1600x900px
>>73404856
There is only ONE Anthony Fantano.
>>
>>73404972
On the other hand, describing music at the molecular level is sort of an empty practice itself.

It's sort of like how psychology is useful even though it's not exactly based in science, because you can maybe explain what's happening from a scientific perspective, like "Well, you're feeling elated because there was a rush of endorphins in your brain." But that doesn't help you in an everyday sense, so it's also a good idea to focus on the abstract reasoning behind things.
>>
>>73405253
Yeah you're right. Different time signatures, keys, and even tempos all at the same time. How do you even come up with that stuff?
>>
File: kbsh71gg_400x400.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
kbsh71gg_400x400.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
>>73404856
he's alright but I prefer deep_cuts, as he uses
an array of colourful adjectives/language to assist in conveying the "feel" of the music, but also understands music theory enough to break it down to its basic components.

Not only that, but he steers from reviews and arbitrary scoring metrics and sticks to just recommending good shit. There's /mu/ core, obviously, but he also tosses out the occasional surprise which makes it appealing to plebs and patricians.

Here's his latest work, maybe you'll find something that appeals to you:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRYhCg0DHloE9gn-PAiAYNg/videos
>>
this guy annoys me. why is he wearing a suit? also how many times is he gonna use "rather ______ manner" when talking about this record? he spends like five minutes talking about something that should only take maybe one or two minutes.
>>
>>73404856
hairline way too good to compare him to fantano
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.