[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Define "good taste"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 3

File: Robert Fripp on Spotify.jpg (35KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Robert Fripp on Spotify.jpg
35KB, 600x600px
Define "good taste"
>>
>>73399179
Any song by Guns n Roses but mostly Sweet Child o Mine
>>
Death grips max volume
>>
>>73399179
Subjective interest
>>
>>73399179
everything but rap, country and metal
>>
>>73399183
/thread
>>
>>73399183
yeah this
>>
>>73399179
/mu/-core and rym 3.80+
>>
Death Grops, Swons, Konye West, Neutral Molk Hotel, the list goes on...
>>
mine
>>
>>73399245
You may be sarcastic but 90% of this board really does think this way
>>
>>73399179
Define "define"
>>
>>73399183
yep, pretty much sums it up
>>
functional taste buds
>>
When you can play anything when somebody gives you an AUX cord
>>
>>73399324
Kek
>>
>>73399179
field recordings of farts
>>
>>73399179
This is actually a fantastic question op and perhaps something that is worth having a good discussion over.

People like to say that taste is completely objective but this isn't the case at all if you look at the practical evidence. For instance, the majority of people will largely agree on what is good and what is bad. I know /mu/core is a bit controversial, but most people will look at that list and say (at the very least) "well there's quite a lot of decent stuff on there".

But what is actually common about these things that we can all agree that they are good or bad? I know we all have our own different criteria, some people prefer different things and our perceptions and value systems allow us to interpret things different. But if we interpret things differently, why do we tend to generally reach the same conclusions?

There has to be another layer to the music that which our values and the things that we perceive sit upon, but what are they?
>>
>>73399179
Good taste means being able to enjoy nearly any type of music
>>
>>73399203
this
>>
File: noice.jpg (45KB, 570x487px)
noice.jpg
45KB, 570x487px
>>73399431
>mfw suddenly a reasonable, logical and well written message appears on a "taste discusion" thread
>>
copying me
>>
>>73399431
I think having a good taste is having a liking for things that the mayority of the fanbase of something will enjoy too. But it depends on the type of stuff. For example, having good taste in Prog Rock would mean that you normally like Prog Rock acts that when shown to Prog Rock fans most of them will like it (for one reason or another). It could be also that you understand what certain people would like, and what not.
>>
OK Computer
The Bends
Amnesiac
Hail To The Thief
Kid A
In Rainbows
King Of Limbs
A Moon Shaped Pool
Pablo Honey
>>
>>73399431
>But what is actually common about these things that we can all agree that they are good or bad?

I think that art has to be technically competent and aesthetically surprising for it to be good. You can have on of both it will probably be boring or shallow.
>>
>>73399431
Good taste is simply a side effect of liking good music. Thus, the real discussion should be to define "good music"

As you alluded to, good music seems to lack an objective definition, but commonly accepted examples of good music (/mu/core) certainly share similarities. There are always exceptions, but I would argue that said similarities include, but are not limited to the following:
>At least a moderate amount musical ambition/experimentation
>A baseline of instrumental proficiency
>Cohesive sounds/style
>A least somewhat accessible to a large audience
>Ages well

Feel free to change or add your own beliefs on what good music is and/or its characteristics
>>
An extensive library of King Crimson live albums.
>>
>>73399183
fpbp
>>
>>73399872
That's interesting and something I've thought about. People tend to use this definition for describing the difference between the fine arts and liberal arts. Although its not a hard and fast rule.

I think the for something to be "good", it has to be able to communicate or reveal something to you that is not self evident of obvious. Something that is beyond the literal and something that is more felt. Which is why I think when people describe their experiences with their favourite albums, it sounds like a religious revelation from God.

I think this is the key difference between a good album and an okay album.

>>73399978
>At least a moderate amount musical ambition/experimentation
>A baseline of instrumental proficiency
>Cohesive sounds/style
>A least somewhat accessible to a large audience
>Ages well

This is what I was referring to with regards people's personal value systems and perceptions. The albums you like may generally have these things, or a combination of them. But what leads other people, who don't necessarily share these values, to the same conclusions? Can we extract a formula to determine what is good and what isn't, that applies to everything and everyone?
>>
>>73400059
I think its important not to undersell the "it just clicked with me" factor. I think understanding this is the key to understanding what is good music and what isn't. It could even go beyond that and perhaps explain why some people are religious, why some people are good at maths and others aren't and why some people are conservatives or liberals, despite sharing the same evidence.
>>
>>73400059
>Can we extract a formula to determine what is good and what isn't, that applies to everything and everyone?
I was trying to but I guess it's too subjective. That said, I think it would be difficult to find an example of a classic album that contradicts the similarities I listed. They don't hold true for all music, but they're probably accurate for most widely accepted accounts of "good music"

>it has to be able to communicate or reveal something to you that is not self evident of obvious
My grandma always said, "for good music, you have to give back". At least for me, all of my favorite albums earned their spot after I gathered some new significance from them by listening to them multiple times and actively trying to understand them on a deeper level
>>
>>73399179
fuck "good taste" eclectic taste is where it's at
>>
>>73399822
This is a bad ranking
>>
>>73399179
Good taste is defined as "whatever I like"
>>
>>73400314
Your grandmother sounds wise.
>>
>>73399179
Good or discerning judgement, especially with regard to what is aesthetically pleasing, fashionable, polite, or socially appropriate.
>>
>>73399179
Usually people implying by this "taste similar to mine".
I personally think that good taste is refined taste, so person has listened a lot of different albums in different genres and formed his own opinion.
>>
After philosophizing on things you have sensible contact with come up with a trust worthy faculty to assemble your thoughts in the right direction, in other words, finding a gem and saluting your friends.
>>
>>73399179
Being a /mu/ drone
>>
>>73399179
Enjoying something based on a combination of artistic merit, artistic intent and aesthetic. Good taste is listening to music with the intention of stimulating your mind.

To define good taste, we also need to define bad taste

>liking a song because it's popular
>liking a song because the artist is attractive
>liking a song because it's simple and easy to digest
>liking a song because you're trying to be "unique" or "different"
>liking a song because it's what your friends like
>>
>>73399301
I wasn't being sarcastic
>>
>>73400834
>Good taste is listening to music with the intention of stimulating your mind.

Huh? I didn't know songs are like sudoku puzzles now.
>>
>>73399179
good taste is the taste of the best people
the problem is defining who are the best people since society is not an aristocracy anymore
>>
>>73401024
Different people like different genres.
>>
>>73399179
Nirvana pre-Nevermind and In Utero.
>>
>>73401016
Not only logic puzzles can stimulate the mind, friend.
>>
>>73399815
So people with entry level opinions about music have good taste?
>>
Unironically whatever I listen to.
>>
No.
>>
I think having good taste would mean listening to music with a lot of attention and picking up on the nuances of the sound and of what the artist was trying to convey consciously or subconsciously. Having bad taste would be expecting music to command your enjoyment with minimal attention to detail. The first type of people will generally prefer music that brings new things to the table while the second will probably be annoyed by deviations from what they are used to.
>>
>>73399183
pretty much this
>>
>>73399448
Then nobody to ever exist has had good taste. And anyway you're wrong.
>>
>>73399179
A taste that is exactly like or at least similar to my taste.

>>73399183
Or maybe this.
>>
File: 1494090350966.gif (359KB, 640x636px)
1494090350966.gif
359KB, 640x636px
>>73399179

7.5 or higher in Scaruffi
>>
>>73399179
bohemian rhapsody
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.