[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Generic conscious rap, but it's mainstream WOAH....guys,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 18

File: download.jpg (36KB, 650x430px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
36KB, 650x430px
>Generic conscious rap, but it's mainstream
WOAH....guys, he's the GOAT
>>
>generic conscious rap
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtIr8k4eC7o
>>
>>73382643
is that really why you think Kendrick is as big as he is?

It was very very little to do with being "woke".
It's literally all about his musicality. He understands melody, rhythm, and is willing to experiment not only with his phrasing, recording techniques/production, but also with the instrumentals and collaborators. TPAB has the best musicianship of any rap record ever made, period. His flow is merely the glue that holds it all together, his lyrics aren't really meant to give you that "weww really makes you think" moment. They're just good wordplay with some nice little messages that sound downright pleasant to your earholes. He's also a magnificent showman/performer, arguably the best in the business.

His rapping has a rare cadence that just straight works. I couldn't possibly give less of a fuck about "I still kill me a nigga" or "jiggaboos and styrafoams".
>>
>>73382730
i mean his lyrical content has a lot to do with why he's great though. i agree with a lot of you said except for undermining his ability to express his thoughts with language in an original and honest way and he crafts it so you feel what he's trying to say on a deeper level because it's combined with music elements like you mentioned. it's combining that natural musical jazz language 'you know what i mean without me saying it exactly' with thoughts and perspective on his personal life and on his culture whether that be compton or the hip hop game. he describes his life as a star and how his message is seen and is truthful to his roots and his family. the dude is a god period theres no other way to cut it
>>
File: lGBfRrqMUVAEklK-800x800-noPad.jpg (28KB, 698x672px) Image search: [Google]
lGBfRrqMUVAEklK-800x800-noPad.jpg
28KB, 698x672px
>>73382730
>TPAB has the best musicianship of any rap record ever made, period
>>
>>73382730
All anybody talks about is his lyrics.
>>
>>73382932
>its the only thing people talk about so it must be the only thing thats good
kys
>>
>>73382837
Kendrick Lamar isn't interesting or unique lyrically though. He doesn't express his thoughts in an original and honest way, in rap only Kanye does that.

Young Thug beats him when it comes to melodies.
His experimentation is just stealing from Andre 3000.
>>
>>73383247
>in rap only Kanye does that.
sweet n sour sauce

I AM A GOD

very thought provoking.

I know this is b8
>>
>>73384158
Your post is bait, mine isn't.
>>
>>73384204
kek
>>
>>73383247
So much wrong with this. I don't know why /mu/ just can't admit Kendrick is good. If Kendrick isn't unique or interesting, give me some other rappers that are very similar to Kendrick but better, also give me rappers that have something more interesting to say as well as backed by interesting instrumentation
>>
>>73382730
you mean he's willing to let other musicians influence his music? fucking hell, kendrick literally hadn't heard a single miles davis album until thundercat showed him one in the studio. all the good musicianship on the album comes from other people who made the album what it is.
>>
>>73384414
source?
>>
>>73384414
How does that make his music worse? Kendrick is a rapper, not a producer or musician. Are you going to say that his music is worse because he hadn't heard of X artist before Y time?
>>
>>73384358
Kendrick is just bargain bin Lupe and Andre 3000.
And what interesting stuff does he have to say?
GKMC was typical hood nigga shit. TPAB was typical hotep nigga shit. Didn't even bother with DAMN, but it seems like more hotep shit.
>>
>>73384453
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/meet-thundercat-the-mad-genius-behind-kendrick-lamar-pimp-a-butterfly-20150402
""I played him Miles Davis' 'Little Church' and he was like, 'What the fuck is this?' I was like, 'This is Miles Davis, man — and one of his baddest records.' He was always like, 'I gotta come to your house and take this stuff off your hands.'"
>>73384463
it makes him vastly overrated. he raps over what other people create. that means he has little talent.
>>
>>73384453
He's referencing this video (8:30) but is making up details
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4lPD5PtqMiE
>>
>>73382901
>what is the entire roots discography
>>
>>73384507
>He'd pull up old records in the studio, furnishing an advanced-level jazz seminar for Lamar: Ron Carter, Herbie Hancock, Mary Lou Williams and Miles Davis.

>advanced-level
fucking kek
>>
>>73384507
what rappers would you consider talented
>>
>>73384554
The Roots are boring.
>>
>>73384603
None. It is a fundamentally flawed genre.
>>
It's hilarious how there was literally no hate on him here before DAMN.
>>
>>73384629
done talking to you then since we have no common ground.
>>
>>73384636
How's your first week?
>>
File: 1493010094656.jpg (18KB, 480x407px) Image search: [Google]
1493010094656.jpg
18KB, 480x407px
>HOW Y'ALL LET A CONSCIOUS NIGGA GO COMMERCIAL WHILE ONLY MAKING CONSCIOUS ALBUMS?

DAMN....
>>
>>73382730
New copypasta, thanks anon
>>
>>73384665
I've been here since 2011, what the fuck do you mean? There were a few contrarians after TPaB, but not daily threads like this.
>>
>>73384507
Being a good rapper =//= being a good producer or musician

Kendrick is a good rapper, that's what people call him. They don't call him a musician or producer. And his albums aren't worse for having the beats made by others, 99% of hip-hop albums are made that way. People aren't suddenly going to put down his music because they found out he never listened to Miles Davis. This stuff doesn't detract from his music. You're literally looking to be upset and I'm not going to stop you.
>>
>>73384703
you can't talk to him about this because he thinks rap sucks. so it doesn't matter what kind of argument you throw out. it's going to boil down to I don't believe that people who don't create every aspect of their music are talented. then you'll argue over small details and never come to a conclusion because there is no common ground. it's over.
>>
>>73384613
True, but if we're referring to actual "musicianship" the roots are hip hops first real band in the eyes of many
>>
>>73384753
Perhaps you missed the post above where anon claimed he was musician >>73382730
>>
>>73384901
I'm not going to argue with you over what constitutes a musician or if using your voice is an instrument
>>
>>73384901
Then that anon is sinply incorrect but that doesn't affect the music. That's not to say though that Kendrick has no input on the production. It's well known that he was working very closely with the musicians and producers with To Pimp a Butterfly
>>
How did Kendrick Lamar become so popular with that fucking voice? He sounds like a rat.
>>
>>73385822
It's unique and I like it.
>>
>>73384805
It's impossible to disagree with that.
>>
I've only ever listened to GKMC and I love it dearly. I've chosen to avoid everything else he's done in case it's a let down, am I making a sound decision?
>>
>>73382643
I like the fact he's popular since now there's an easy way to tell someone's a pleb if they claim he's the GOAT
>>
>rap
>genius
>>
>>73386055
No. TPAB is sonically different and deals with less 'hood' themes but if you loved GKMC you should also love TPAB. DAMN and Section 80 are mixed bags. I like both but if I rate GKMC or TPAB a 10. then these albums would be like an 8 or 7
>>
Kendrick is just proof you can viral market music until people like it

His whole marketing campaign has been telling us how good he is until most of you submitted

Here's his career arc
>Shitty/mediocre rapper
>Gets signed
>Forms a manufactured group in an attempt to get hipster cred, works on a very small level
>The hype and momentum from that used and he releases a bretty guud tape
>Hype increases
>He releases s80, which is around the time he gets signed, when interscope begins memeing the shit out of him
>interscope pays off critics to give rave reviews to an album/tape that wasn't that good
>Momentum grows
>Releases GKMC, gets more hype, festival placements
>GKMC reviewed well and rightfully so
>Yet Kendrick's fanbase hasn't really changed since s80.
>Kendrick is memed as a rap savior
>Kendrick getting festival placements
>Kendrick releases control
>Gets vastly overrated due to his new rap savior marketing/persona
>Hype dies down and that's it for awhile
>Kendrick then releases TPAB years later
>Literal perfect hipster bait bullshit
>pretentious as fuck
>Concept album and no one can agree what the concept is
>WOAT vocals on a rap album with the squeeky teenager voice cranked up to 10 on some tracks, weird accents abound, etc
>"Jazzy" so the critics cream themselves
>Vaguely political so think pieces everywhere
>Critics follow suit in that if a critic came out negatively against a "racial" album they'll be looked at racist and probably blacklisted
>Critics also likely on payola if not review positively from their own hipster perspective
>Kendrick crams himself into 2pac's legacy by "talking with him" at the end, one of the most tasteless moves in hip hop history. Desperately trying to continue his hip hop savior narrative
>Critics meme this shit, fantano and rym rate it highly so of course /mu/ follows suit, being painfully transparent in their "taste"
>Kendrick has new found momentum
>Has been doing pop features before and around the release of TPAB
>>
>>73386162
People used to claim that Lil Wayne was the GOAT based off of fucking mixtapes so I don't really trust anyone's opinions on hip-hop.

Kanye is the best, that's that.
>>
>>73386212
Kanye isn't even a good rapper, what the fuck?
>>
>>73386212
>>73386162
I think being able to unironically say that any rapper is the "greatest of all time" is a sure sign of a pleb.
>>
>>73386208
>His whole marketing campaign has been telling us how good he is until most of you submitted
That's what most rappers do. You got niggas on Soundcloud with 3 followers bragging about how good they are instead of showing us.
>>
File: bump.jpg (45KB, 650x662px) Image search: [Google]
bump.jpg
45KB, 650x662px
>>73386252
>Kanye isn't even a good rapper,
>>
>>73386208
>Using new spotlight releases accessible trap sound album with the occasional jazz hop inflections
>Critics cream themselves because muh Kendrick
>A couple of people are honest and say it's not as good
>Too late, it's Kendrick's most popular album yet, and the experiment worked
>Just fucking shove this shit down people's throats til they accept it, the end.

Is it any coincidence this guy came from the same people who made Eminem a thing? One of the most overrated rappers EVER?

Don't get me wrong, Em is extremely technically gifted and has made good music, but he's not even a top 20 rapper for me. His music isn't nearly as good as a lot of hip hop artists. But because he had interscope money behind him, along with his wild success, they were able to make him a thing, just like they're doing with Kendrick.

Inb4
>why don't other artists do this then hurrr
>you just don't have taste hurrrr

Kendrick clearly wanted this enough to make it happen, there is a thing called selling out and it is very real. Some people are willing to do it, some aren't. Some industry plants succeed, some fail to catch on no matter how much they market them. The music industry is a business, remember this.
>>
>>73386266
No, not the rapper himself, the machine around him.
>>
>>73386310
OH, my bad.
>>
>>73386208
>pretentious as fuck

What specific criticism.

>no one can agree what the concept is

This is a good thing. God forbid an artist does something that's difficult to interpret.

>Critics are afraid of being racist that's the only reason they like this thing

/pol/ level mental gymnastics

>Everyone else likes it and I don't so therefore they have inferior tastes to myself

Why people like you even bother listening to music, it's clearly wasted on you.

Tell me your favorite rappers before you start throwing around hyperbolic bullshit about Kendrick being shitty.
>>
>>73386283
He doesn't even write his own lyrics genius.
>>
>>73386296
>Is it any coincidence this guy came from the same people who made Eminem a thing? One of the most overrated rappers EVER?
Never even considered that. It helped of course that Eminem was white, that was part of the gimmick, before him there was only Vanilla Ice and The Beastie Boys.
>>
File: bump.jpg (66KB, 650x662px) Image search: [Google]
bump.jpg
66KB, 650x662px
>>73386397
>He doesn't even write his own lyrics
>>
>>73384478
>Lupe
Wow really
>>
>>73386430
Kanye is literally the most /mu/ core rapper there is besides DOOM. Just because MDBTF was the rap album that got you through middle school doesn't make him good.
>>
>>73386508
>Kanye is literally the most /mu/ core rapper there is besides DOOM.
And? What's the correlation?
>>
MBDTF > TPAB
>>
>>73384158
THIS DICK AIN- oh wait, kendrick said that.
>>
>>73386584
This board doesn't know a fucking thing about hip hop. Kanye is not even close to being the "GOAT" rapper by literally any metric. His discography is great but he is completely mediocre at rapping, ghostwriting aside. Andre, Black Thought, and Lupe are far more talented lyricists. No one's even put together the slightest argument (memes don't count as arguments) for Kanye being an good rapper, much less the singular greatest rapper.
>>
>>73386720
Why would you assume my opinion has anything to do with this board? Kanye is the greatest rapper of all time, technicality isn't THAT important.
Lazy SoundCloud level rapping is complete shit, but you don't need to be Kendrick or MF Doom to be good, that shit is not impressive.
>>
>>73386834
We aren't talking about being the GOAT hip hop artist or whatever, we're talking straight rapping. Technical skill counts waaaay before production or anything. If you put Kanye on old school drums he wouldn't sound a tenth as good as he does on his own beats. If you think that's a cop out, maybe we're having two separate discussions here, but you can't be the GOAT if you aren't an amazing rapper.

I hear greatest rapper of all time and I think of Wayne, Ghostface, Mos Def, Jay Z, Biggie, 2Pac, Nas, Scarface, GZA and T.I, in addition to the other 3 I mentioned, and probably a few more, before Kanye even enters the picture.
>>
>>73386977
You think Lil Wayne and TI are more technically skilled than Kanye? 2Pac? 2Pac consistently gets shitted on for not being good technically, come the fuck on, man.
>>
>>73382932
That's cause their good. They seem elder lord tier compared to the drakes and the coles.

Honestly i think kendrick just has this aesthetic about him, a really unique voice that he fucks around with, that's what i like the most at least. Like his goosebumps verse or his verse on jealous are pure kino
>>
>>73384478
>Lupe
HAH
>Andre
Yes very clearly inspired, but his quite litterally been miles better since gkmc dropped.

wew just reading your comment it's clear you must be trolling, there's no way you think anyone could possible take you seriously.
>>
>>73387112
Kendrick, Drake, and Cole are all shit lyricists.
But Drake wasn't terrible on Take Care.
>>
>>73386208
>Critics follow suit in that if a critic came out negatively against a "racial" album they'll be looked at racist and probably blacklisted

you're a dipshit
>>
>>73386212
>>73386283
Kanye is absolute garbage

gtfo back to r/Kanye
>>
>>73387223
Kendrick is not a shit lyricist by any means, you're just tired of hearing about him so you immediately reel back and call him shit as a reaction.
>>
File: 1494556529135.jpg (326KB, 636x900px) Image search: [Google]
1494556529135.jpg
326KB, 636x900px
Will /mu/ ever admit Kendrick is great?
>>
>>73387103
Never singled out Pac, or anyone else for technicality. I was responding to "technicality isn't that important" because it clearly is. Obviously I didn't list technical rappers or else I'd be naming Big Pun or Busdriver or some literal unknowns.

Those three are still head and shoulders above Kanye, for other reasons. Wayne's style is so obvious in half of the kids rapping today, a decade after his peak. T.I has more attitude and is more intimidating in his lyrics than Kanye ever is, while Kanye bragging comes off more hilarious than impressive.

You're not making any proactive arguments for Kanye here. If you're so sure he's the GOAT it shouldn't take too long to prove.
>>
>>73387323
Maybe when he'll actually become great.
>>
>>73382643
His lyrics, voice, and flow bug the crap out of me and that's basically the three elements of an MC.
>>
>>73382730
fool
>>
>>73382643
I'd rather listen to the worst Ghostface album than the 'best' Kendrick album.
>>
>>73382730
This is "some serious pipes" tier.
>>
>>73387289
What makes Kendrick a good lyricist?
>>
>>73387338
I'm not gonna try and prove anything to you because you're a dumbass.
Like I said before, Kanye is the GOAT, that's that.
>>
>>73386208
you're completely right, fuck what these underage kendricktards tell you
>>
>>73387524
What makes him a bad lyricist? I can post my favorite Kendrick songs/verses but I guarantee no matter what I post you'll just say it's bad so what's the point?
>>
File: wat.jpg (3KB, 125x89px) Image search: [Google]
wat.jpg
3KB, 125x89px
>>73387559
Lmao are you fucking kidding me. Why even bother responding in the first place if you're just going to double down and not even try your defend your own opinions YOU put out in the first place. You're so afraid of actually challenging your own views?
>>
>>73384636
it's because the average mu user is an underage twat who doesn't get invited to parties and whenever they hear a song from an artist they like on a girl from school who they stalk's snapchat they scream REEEEE COMMERCIAL MONEY GRAB.
>>
>>73387416
sour soul is pretty good I'll give you that
>>
It amuses me that we have the term "conscious" rap to denote "No, wait, don't turn it off, these lyrics actually have intellectual depth for once!"
>>
>>73387780
Conscious just means you're talking about societal issues and topics. DOOM's lyrics have depth but he's not classified as conscious. Kill yourself
>>
>make anything dark or satanic
>instant praise from every critics

Fuck this guy but he wasn't lying when he said :

So truthfully, calling me Kweli and Common is proof...that ignorance is bliss.
>>
>>73384699
Lmao how the fuck do you manage to breathe
>>
>>73387600
Don't post your favorite verses or songs by him, actually explain why you think he's a good lyricist.
I think his subject matter is boring and while he made fun of "spiritual lyrical miracle" rap on NMPILA, that's exactly the type of rapper he comes off as. He puffs up his lyrics with unnecessary bullshit and has terrible opinions on everything.
>>
File: l89na9l.jpg (39KB, 600x607px) Image search: [Google]
l89na9l.jpg
39KB, 600x607px
>>73387877
>DOOM's lyrics have depth
>>
>>73387945
He gets his point across without beating you over the head. For example, on Kanye's Everything I Am, he says "Just last year, Chicago had over 600 caskets". This may be a sad thing but it makes me feel nothing. Kendrick doesn't just say "hey violence is wrong and blacks feel downtrodden". He gets his point across through use of anology, anecdotes and characters. He isn't forcing himself on the listener. So even if I may not agree with Kendrick on everything I can at least empathize with him or understand why he thinks or feels that way. Kendrickdidn't invent this style, don't think I'm saying only Kendrick does this, I just think he does it really well
>>
>>73387945
Not the guy you responded to, but anyway.

Art of Peer Pressure for storytelling,These Walls for extended metaphor, m.A.A.d city for imagery and various themes, Blacker the Berry for self-reflection examination, DUCKWORTH for thematic story telling.

>terrible opinions on everything

This isn't really relevant to his lyricism. Just because you disagree with him on politics or racial issues or whatever is absolutely not a mark against his artistry.
>>
File: 1494003092039.jpg (42KB, 752x447px) Image search: [Google]
1494003092039.jpg
42KB, 752x447px
>>73388105
>He gets his point across without beating you over the head. For example, on Kanye's Everything I Am, he says "Just last year, Chicago had over 600 caskets". This may be a sad thing but it makes me feel nothing.
That's beating you over the head? Jesus.

Please elaborate because we're obviously on completely different ends and I want to understand your perspective.
To me, Everything I Am has more depth, meaning, and emotion than anything I've heard from Kendrick.
>>
>>73382681
word
>>
>>73388249
Kanye is literally just telling me a statistic on that verse. If I wanted statistics I would google these stats. Stats like these may be sad but they don't make people really feel. Chance the Rapper does something similar where he says there's more guns in Chicago than parking spots. Without context my fuck-givage level is very low. Kendrick never says "look guys, X amount of people died in Compton or Y amount are in poverty. FEEL SOMETHING GRR". But he does make me feel something because he paints a picture, he gives context. On a track like "m.A.A.d city" he doesn't tell me explicitly to give a shit, he doesn't tell me stats, but he makes me care because he goes into detail how fucked up growing there was.
>>
>>73388443
Alright. Relistening to that song I get it now. I don't think I like it, but I finally understand.
I've been trying to understand the appeal of this man's music since GKMC first dropped.
Everything I Am isn't just about hood life though. That's just one line on a song that covers a wide array of topics.
We Don't Care, New God Flow, Jesus Walks, and All Falls Down would all be more apt comparisons. I didn't refute before, but I think the purpose of the "just last year Chicago had over 600 caskets" isn't to make you sad, but to make you think, to bewilder you.

Is there any reason you're a Kendrick fan besides his storytelling? Is there any appeal beyond that?
>>
>>73388221
See, literary techniques in hip-hop don't really impress me. The only Kendrick Lamar song I really like is Wesley's Theory. The whole song is from a different perspective which I'm not really a fan of, but it's kept simple and Thundercat has gorgeous production.
>>
>>73386374
Act like giving a bad review wouldn't be a stain on your reputation. People get shit for not liking it here and we're anonymous, imagine what a person with a name as a critic would go through.

Pretentious is specific? It means affecting more culture or importance than possessed, which is exactly what TPAB does. It says "I am a continuation of 2pac's legacy, see, here's me talking to 2pac. I'm just like him but in modern times."

>This is a good thing

Huh, could have swore Kendrick fans claim how important the message of this album is? How's it work when no one is taking away the same meaning from it. If it's supposed to be some uplifting black shit, why do some blacks decry it's identity politics?

>Everyone else likes it blah blah blah

Never said that.

To be frank, I don't like most of this new generation. My favorites are the older ones.

Scarface, Redman, Andre 3k (Someone who Kendrick bites repeatedly), GZA, Kool G Rap.
>>
>>73387323
Probably not, because he's not.
>>
>>73388105
Kendrick is literal WEWUZKANGZ ham-fisted tripe. You are uniquely dim for thinking he "GOtz A g00d m3ssage XDDDD".
>>
>Kendrick becomes fully mainstream
>/mu/ no longer likes him

whew really makes the ole ticker tick
>>
>>73389175
He was mainstream a long time ago and it was a slight on /mu/ that anybody here ever liked him. He is very similar to Beyonce, only less popular. His music is sleepy soul/funk garbage and his lyrics are typical WEWUZ-core dead horse beating that was started in about 1986.
>>
there is nothing more gay than numales seriously discussing rap
>>
>>73389223
He says "your DNA an abomination"

ACTUAL KEK MUSIC, LITERALLY A BLACK MAN TELLING YOU YOU'RE AN ABOMINATION
>>
>>73389034
>Everything I Am isn't just about hood life though. That's just one line on a song that covers a wide array of topics.
I know this, but it was a handy example to draw parallels that helped explain why I like the way Kendrick gets a point across
>I didn't refute before, but I think the purpose of the "just last year Chicago had over 600 caskets" isn't to make you sad, but to make you think, to bewilder you.
Fair enough I just don't really care for statistics. Stats are just numbers. Sure, you can put them out there in 'Doesn't that shock you?" way but without context I really don't feel any emotional connection to the people who died in Chicago. While we're on the topic, I think Noname's "Casket Pretty" is a good example of a way to portray how sad the death toll in Chicago is in a rap song.
>Is there any reason you're a Kendrick fan besides his storytelling? Is there any appeal beyond that?
Well Kendrick is just a rapper. He's not a producer or musician so I can say I like the beats on his albums or the sounds, but that's not necessarily liking Kendrick. And it's not always story telling. Not every Kendrick song is a story. In a song like HiiiPower this is not a story and it does not reference a story and does not have Kendrick rapping from a perspective of a different character. I love Kendrick's wordplay and how he often raps from an introspective angel. A song like Swimming Pools might sound like a party banger but it's lyrics are self reflective and somewhat personal, I like how he experiments with his voice (although this does annoy some people I do like it), I think he has good flow and I often feel like his lyrics are interesting enough to keep me entertained even if he isn't saying anything of substance. Hol' Up is an example of a meaningless song, it's just for fun. There's no real message, but it's entertaining to listen to regardless. The only con I have with Kendrick is I think his hooks are often weak.
>>
>>73389167
Here's your (You). I typically don't feed the trolls but he literally has a song talking about how blacks shouldn't claim Egyptian accomplishments as their own but instead "write their own hieroglyphs and build their own pyramids". But you wouldn't know that because you don't care about the music you're just looking for a reaction out of me.
>>
>>73382643
Leave you a sea full of red
You look like Jada Fire, all them seeds on your head
You slutty ass, take it in your butt and laugh bitch nigga
You ugly ass muddy ass swallow nut for cash get a cut of what is half then find out it ain't jack bitch nigga
You wifing up fuckbuddy ass, don't love me slash wanna love me for cash bitch nigga
Your life is surrounded by mad dick nigga
Now keep lying to the public fake magic nigga
>>
>>73389452
Yet he turns around and says that black people are the real Jewish people.
>>
>>73389452
You're right it's not WEWUZ-core it's anti-white ooga booga black ethnonationalism.
>>
>>73389572
I'm going to give you your last reply and after that I don't care what kinda dumb shit you respond with. There's two possible things you can infer out of the voicemail bits of FEAR and the "don't call me black no more" verse on YAH. The first and most likely case is that Kendrick is simply drawing parallels between the modern day minority groups of America and the old Hebrews. Comparing the suffering the two went through because they didn't obey God. This is most likely what he meant because he often talked before the album dropped about how he thinks we're in the end times and in the album there's other references to God and how society as a whole is drawing away from God. But let's ignore all evidence and say that Kendrick really does believe that black people are Jewish. I personally do not think Kendrick believes this even a little bit but let's say he does. This does not mean that they're the "real Jews" because there was multiple tribes of Israel. So both ways, you're wrong.
>>
>>73389373
>Hol' Up
See this is pretty good, and his voice is less annoying. It almost reminds me of TCD.
>Aiming it at a pig, Charlotte's web is going to miss you
>you ain't gotta tell the wise how to stay on beat, because our life's an instrumental
>I don't want plastic nation, dread that like a Haitian
>While you mothafuckas waiting, I be off the slave ship, building pyramids, writing my own hieroglyphs

Actually really love these, but then again, all of HiiiPower sounds like he's aping Kanye.
>>
>>73383247
>His experimentation is just stealing from Andre 3000.

THANK YOU, everything people praise kendrick for is just stolen from andre 3k and outkast and not in the normal way an artists 'influences' others, it's to the point where is a blatant ripoff. Of course I'm always crucified by kendrick fans whenever I mention this... and he has the nerve to call his greatest influence 2pac...
>>
>>73389670
I wasn't even that anon you were replying to before, sorry I wasted your time.
>>
>>73387161
You honestly think a rapper that dropped maybe 2 really good albums over other people's production is better than the pioneer that inspired him and has 5 essential albums, multiple classics, wrote, produced and mastered his biggest hits, and created one of the best songs of all time?(he has so many which one of his is the best is a debate in itself)

There will never be another Andre 3k, but there will definitely be another kid like Kendrick inspired by him
>>
>>73389883
>Kendrick is so overrated
>But all of Outkast's material is classic and completely essential.
I like Outkast as much as the next guy but get Andre's cock out of your mouth dude. This is why you can't have a discussion of anything Hip-hop related on /mu/, because there's so much fanboyism. Whether it's for DOOM, Outkast or Kendrick.
>>
>>73384613
>>73384805
You both have shit taste. The Roots are patrician
>>
>>73389942
There is just no way Kendrick can ever be deemed better than Andre 3k tastes aside, andre is just as good as a rapper who actually makes his own music and has dropped more successful albums and has reached a status of a untouchable legacy. Nothing Kendrick has dropped has ever gotten close to the quality of Aquemini or the impact of B.O.B. and Ms. Jackson, let alone Love Below hits like Hey ya.

And this is all before looking at the innovation of each artist and the originality which won't even be an argument for anyone with some resemblance of brainpower listening to both and putting it into its cultural context
>>
>>73390008
I mean I just cannot agree with you there because you're implying Ms Jackson is some kind of amazing song when I find the beat very annoying (although I do like the lyrics and Andre's flow). On a more serious note I would also argue Kendrick does have his own great albums. TPAB and GKMC are both great, and the same critics who rated Stankonia and Aquemini agree,
>>
i don't know who this tall black man is but i like his hat
>>
File: 1495567893331.jpg (74KB, 807x802px) Image search: [Google]
1495567893331.jpg
74KB, 807x802px
>>73390962
>tall

Go to bed, Kendrick.
>>
>>73391002
>>73390962
/thread
>>
>>73382643
Fuck off back to /pol/ with your racism
>>
Rap music sucks
>>
>>73384636
Lol wrong
>>
>>73391043
Nigga I'm black what the fuck
>>
>>73384204
Kanye fans live their entire lives being bait

It's sad
>>
>>73386212
Omg you actually believe this?

I feel sorry for you
>>
>>73382681
fpbp

>>73391056
>lying on the internet
>>
>>73386679
When Kendrick said that, it actually had a deeper meaning than his penis not being free lol

When Kanye talks about not having croissants, he's literally just upset about not having croissants
>>
>>73387223
>But Drake wasn't terrible on Take Care.

Subtle bait. I like it
>>
>>73389509
unironically better than TPAB, UU and Damn together
>>
>>73391936
fuck you.
>>
One of the all-time worst rap voices, I don't know how people listen to him doing his alien Andre 3000 shit for more than a few minutes at a time

And that's coming from an E-40 fan
>>
Tyler the Creator is infinitely more talented.
>>
>>73393913
I feel like some Ursula Little Mermaid type shit is going on with Kendrick.
Section.80 came out in 2011 and GKMC in 2012, but he sounds normal on Section.80.
You don't develop an accent out of nowhere in less than a year.
>>
>>73384805
That title goes to Stetsasonic for me
>>
>>73382730
Kendrick's big because he blew up around the "dude remember lyrics" phase, he had catchy instrumentals and hooks, and he convinced everyone that he was the second-coming of 2pac because he spoke vaguely about social issues.
>>
you guys should have let this thread die last night at >>73384985 but you keep falling for b8.
>>
>>73395944
I just want a response to my post but I think the guy left after he was baited.
>>
>>73396024
what was your question
>>
KEK has /mu/ resorted to undermining Kendrick by claiming he bites fucking Andre???

He is influenced by Andre just as much as Pac and Nas but they are two different rappers with entirely different flows.

He's good /mu/, just say it.
>>
>>73396057
m8 there's people in this thread claiming Tyler The Creator is a better rapper than Kendrick, with these people you will never ever change their mind on him. They WANT to dislike him and nothing you say will change that.
>>
>>73396038
It wasn't a question, it was this: >>73389795
I just wanted to continue our discussion.
>>
>>73396158
in what way do you think he's copying Kanye? the flow is not the same.
>>
>>73384414
thats literally every artist. rock was influenced by blues, rap was influenced by jazz and soul, etc.
>>
>>73396180
It sounds just like MBDTF era Kanye you blind fuck.
>>
burmp
>>
>>73386208
This
>>
>>73396473
>music
>blind

ok but I asked you a question and you didn't answer, so I will try again. in what way does it sound like Kanye?
>>
actually, chance: the rapper is aleatoric hip hop
>>
File: tumblr_oorx81cN0W1qbe3a5o2_1280.jpg (72KB, 715x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oorx81cN0W1qbe3a5o2_1280.jpg
72KB, 715x720px
>>73397574
>>
File: 1495751193213.png (337KB, 593x635px) Image search: [Google]
1495751193213.png
337KB, 593x635px
>>73398576
>Aleatoric music (also aleatory music or chance music; from the Latin word alea, meaning "dice") is music in which some element of the composition is left to chance

Cheeky cunt.
>>
>>73398604
lol you can't even do it so...
>>
>>73399957
whyyyy let this shit die you fag.
>>
>>73400234
I'll never let it die.
>>
>>73396057
wheredoyouthinkyouare.jpg
>>
>>73382681
>3 niggas 1 room, first time I was tossed
Unfortunately, I'll never not laugh at this.
>>
File: Wolf_Cover2.jpg (21KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Wolf_Cover2.jpg
21KB, 300x300px
discovered this lately and it's way more honest than some kanye garbage or the latest kendrick album
it's refreshing really, what are some other honest albums?
>>
>>73396057
>entirely different flows

One of his most revered songs literally uses Andres exact flow, pronunciation, and beat. Kendrick even knows it and references the song on the first bar. How the fuck can you listen to Sherane, Bitch don't kill my vibe, art of peer pressure, good kid, swimming pools, sing about me, real, king kunta, momma, complexion and i and not see the blatant rip off? And these are just the song where it's obvious to even a casual listener listening to both back to back. I like Kendrick and I think he's a great rapper but he should never be considered goat because he hasn't done anything original, nothing. Please try to find something kendrick does that hasn't already been done by other big artists in the past. Even on DAMN where he sounds the least like andre half the songs are pathetic attempts at capturing the mainstream sound that's already been big for a few years, on some he sounds like a Drake parody. TPAB is one of my favorite albums it's not like I'm just actively hating on him to be a contranian
>>
>>73403359
also on m.a.a.d city the second verse is exactly like Andres second verse on Aquemini, it's as if he copied down the lyrics and just changed some words...
>>
>>73391043
Why? The racism is literally all correct. It's about time that it broke out of /pol/.
>>
>>73403121
Charles Hamilton - At Most I'm Just
honesty at it's finest
>>
>>73387462
Here's the thing about Freddie. The man had some serious pipes. He had a 4 octave range and he excelled in any octave. He wrote brilliant songs. And his stage presence was only matched by Adolf Hitler. Seriously, watch them play Radio Gaga at Live Aid and then watch a video of the Nuremburg rallies. We had better thank our lucky stars Freddie didn't go into politics or he would have taken over the world. But Queen as a whole had a brilliant dynamic. It wasn't just the Freddie Mercury backup band. They all made huge creative contributions to what made Queen what it is. Yes, Freddie wrore Somebody to Love, Killer Queen, and Bohemian Rhapsody, but Brian May wrote We Will Rock You, Save Me, and Fat Bottom Girls, John Deacon wrote I Want to Break Free, Another One Bites the Dust, and You're my Best Friend, and Roger Taylor wrote Radio Gaga and It's a Kind of Magic. Other bands like Nirvana for instance were not like that. Nirvana was basically just the Kurt Cobain backup band. Queen was this perfect storm of legendary talent, and Freddie was the face of it all, the delicious cherry on top of an already delicious sundae. He was the ambassador that allowed the amazing talent of combo that was Queen to be brought into our lives. He was the prism that focused the lazer beams from the brains of Roger, Brian, and John, and amplified them until they were powerful enough to blow our minds out through our ear holes. Yes, he was the most incredible front man who ever lived, hands down.
>>
>>73403459
You do understand by definition racism is incorrect? A person who believes the thought process called racism is correct wouldn't call it racism. It's like saying 'there's nothing wrong with cheating on your wife' by saying cheating you imply the act is wrong. Your comment should have been
>Why? The views on muslims/blacks/mexicans is literally all correct. It's abut time that it broke out of /pol/.

and then at that point I'll tell you you're a retard and stay in your containment board
>>
File: dog.jpg (79KB, 673x674px) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
79KB, 673x674px
>>73403121
>way more honest than some kanye garbage
>>
>>73382681
fpbp
>>
>>73382681
What is this supposed to prove
>>
File: 1497305107240.jpg (38KB, 711x795px) Image search: [Google]
1497305107240.jpg
38KB, 711x795px
OP here thanks for taking the bait everyone
>>
>>73404947
You are not me, don't lie on the internet, piece of shit.
>>
>mom, I posted it again!
>>
>>73382643

I feel like even calling him "conscious" is giving him too much credit. Most of his lyrics are garbage and half the time he tries to pass them off as "ironic" to make some kind of "statement".
>>
File: xxx.jpg (39KB, 1200x737px) Image search: [Google]
xxx.jpg
39KB, 1200x737px
>>73382643
Generic unconscious rap
>>
>>73405156
?
>>
2 Chainz > Kendrick
>>
File: Martin.jpg (5KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
Martin.jpg
5KB, 224x224px
I know this is bait, but I kinda wanna get this outta the way.

Kendrick's lyrics have a few qualities that mesh perfectly together to make people praise him the way they do.

>Hood enough for it to appeal to the most critical oldheads/rap game savants
>thematically sound enough to get his message through without having to seriously analyze
>understandable enough so white people can get the message w/o someone having to sit them down and explain it to them
>very good at telling the stories he wants to tell, as well as being a good voice actor for when he wants to show emotion (King Kunta, Blacker the Berry)

Kendrick's actual musicianship is notable for a couple reasons too. Looking at his biggest albums thus far, we have
>GKMC: Large influences of 90's west coast rap and Tupac's style
>TPAB: The result of Kendrick hearing Miles Davis' best album, and using it HOW EVERY ARTIST TAKES INFLUENCE EVER
>DAMN: Kendrick taking what his contemporaries have been doing and improving on it

The reason people want to take away from Kendrick's success isn't because he's at peak modern rap, but because he's peak modern rap and people don't like him, they're more trying to devalue rap as a genre. The people on /mu/ shitting on Kendrick is the equivalent of J. Edgar pretending to be black and sending MLK that letter telling him to kill himself.
>>
>>73410166
>this entire fucking post

I give up completely, you people are clearly delusional.
>>
>>73382643
>generic conscious
consciousness is always good. if you don't like it just turn off your stereo. this is the cancer that is killing mu
>>
>>73410858
No, because you can be conscious and dumbass.
>>
>>73382643
Kendrick isn't mainstream, mainstream went Kendrick. And that's a damn fact.
>>
>>73386208
damn

karate ken btfo
>>
>>73389131
Holy shit a old head that hates kendrick

Yes i'm a newfag that has only had time to talk about hip hop to 12 year olds on some shitty google + community.
Thread posts: 181
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.