[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/jazz/ general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 300
Thread images: 65

File: manticore in flight.png (329KB, 500x519px) Image search: [Google]
manticore in flight.png
329KB, 500x519px
Bird flew edition

What have you been listening to lately and how is it? Any recent purchases?
What jazz albums do you think are the most underrated?

Post/share/discuss jazz.

Man how Bird flew.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-ZoZ3BeQ2U
>>
reach
>>
man I just look at this thread and I'm immediately bored
>>
I've given up on jazz
>>
I'm just getting into it.
Got myself a Miles Davis CD.
>>
I've been listening to Life to Everything by Phronesis recently and it's perfect.
I've also recently purchased In for a Penny, In for a Pound. I only listened to it once so far but I'll be coming back to it quite a bit because it was a good listen and the compositions are interesting.
Sing Sing Penelope's self titled is a great underrated album, one of the best electric keyboard playing you'll hear.
>>
How do you get into Duke Ellington's discog?
I'm a jazz newfig
>>
saxophone
>>
https://youtu.be/6sf5deeGK4g

Acid Jazz
>>
>>73383441
which one?

>>73383661
Someone should really make a Duke Ellington flowchart
Ya with Duke you generally go thru his early recordings by label: Duke Ellington Decca recordings, Victor, etc etc. There are compilations of each, pic related wud be good for the first one of those
Then once you get into the 50s and 60s there are several well known albums to check out, which is where anyone new to him will want to start.
I recommend Ellington at Newport; Black, Brown and Beige; Duke Ellington and John Coltrane; and Money Jungle
Happy Dukin'!

>>73383576
>I've also recently purchased In for a Penny, In for a Pound
daamn nice, CD or wax?
gonna check out the other stuff, sounds cool

>>73383885
I need more shit like this

Hey wait a tick! That's the sampe from Electric Relaxation by A Tribe Called Quest!
wooooah
>>
>>73383786
wamp, squawk
>>
>post-war Jazz
Hue hue hue
>>
>>73384637
>he's not talking about the first world war
euh
>>
>>73384637
>pre-war jazz
So pop?
>>
>>73384237
Kind of blue
>>
File: spacebird.jpg (126KB, 800x764px) Image search: [Google]
spacebird.jpg
126KB, 800x764px
>>73385439
atta boy
>>
File: baida.jpg (398KB, 1200x1200px)
baida.jpg
398KB, 1200x1200px
/jazz/ threads need more controversy.

what are your most controversial jazz related opinions?

I'll start: all ECM jazz is terrible
>>
>>73385928
>/jazz/ threads need more controversy
I disagree. Why do you think so? I think they don't because that would cause shitposting and malcontent. How can you refute this?

>all ECM jazz is terrible
Seems a shitpost to me. Have you listened to all ECM jazz? I find that very hard to believe that all ECM jazz is terrible.
>>
who is the nigga in the op
>>
>>73386930
bird yo

bird flew
>>
File: john-coltrane.jpg (25KB, 306x400px)
john-coltrane.jpg
25KB, 306x400px
Charlie "Yardbird" Parker
>>
>>73387054
thats not Yardbird
>>
>>73387078
yeah it is, i just changed the filename

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDga7tJL2UU
>>
>>73387105
well shit i musta been born yesterday right

it's clearly Harley "Hardwood" Jenkins
>>
>>73386905
>Why do you think so?
Because otherwise every post is just:
>X is good!
And nobody replies and the thread dies
>>
>>73387254
I think that's kind of a thing in general with jazz, though. It's just good in general, so discussion of it is inevitably slower. All of the jazz drama is either trite (fusion being jazz or not) or manufactured meme bullshit like what goes on in /classical/. I'd welcome more Herbieposting but I like that /jazz/ is civil and slow.
>>
what makes electric miles davis so fucking good? i just listened to most of big fun and the dude just oozed musical ideas constantly. seriously the stretch from in a silent way to big fun is literally flawless
>>
>>73387254
I think rather than fixing that by adding conflict to the general we can fix it by trying harder to discuss jazz.
I never see people quoting time codes and saying stuff like "man that sax solo at 4:30 blows my tits off", or "did anyone notice how the counterpoint introduced at 2:11 etcetcetcetc".
It's /mu/ - music not /cont/ - Controversy

Get more in depth with the discussion, discuss players, discuss instruments, discuss history, trade facts, rec, rec, rec. There is so much to be talked about.

Personally, I don't come here (/jazz/ anyway) to argue but I suppose if some do that's ok; you're free to air your complaints or take issue with something someone said if you want to. But I dont think making a point to simply have more controversy for controversy's sake is going to make things overall any better.
>>
>>73381451

Previous thread:
>>73370121
>>
free improvisation > jazz
>>
>>73387516
>I never see people quoting time codes and saying stuff like "man that sax solo at 4:30 blows my tits off", or "did anyone notice how the counterpoint introduced at 2:11 etcetcetcetc"

/blindfold/ was the only place I saw that level of discussion and those threads were even more dead than the /jazz/ generals
>>
JAZZ THREAD O CLOCK!?!?!
>>
>>73387479
O well, that's why he's Miles Davis!
and a big reason why the electric shit kicked so much ass is this guy right here
Also Corea/Herbie/Jarrett
I notice how the 3rd track "Go Ahead John" doesn't have any keyboards? What do you think of this? Generally yay or nay? I think it takes away a lot from the electric sound but it sure gives Davis and McLaughlin a chance to stretch out. And the bass just playing that E over and over gets pretty hypnotic.

>>73388162
I agree we should expand upon this.
Cecil Taylor?
>>
File: MD & JM.jpg (39KB, 504x360px)
MD & JM.jpg
39KB, 504x360px
>>73388271
woops forgot pic
>>
>>73381451
how do I learn to play the jazz
>>
>>73388228
2bh I've always been a horrible procrastinator and I never got into those because I put off listening to the tracks so much the threads would always expire.
Fug.
But now is my chance... Now its OUR CHANCE!!!!
>>
>>73388271
I'm not a huge fan of piano free improv. I was thinking more like Evan Parker and Derek Bailey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edrpNKAOcZQ

Outside of this shit, I've also been listening to Art Pepper and Wynton Kelly
>>
>>73388302
google the search (short answer learn chord theory)

wait I forgot jazz is supposed to be the music of no rules

just get some friends over... actually typing this made me realize that some of us may need to learn how to socialize rather than learn to play jazz if playing jazz is what we want to do.
>>
File: cova.jpg (45KB, 450x389px) Image search: [Google]
cova.jpg
45KB, 450x389px
>>73388235
YEAYa
>>
File: paris 71.jpg (62KB, 500x458px)
paris 71.jpg
62KB, 500x458px
>>73387479
If you think Big Fun is good then you should check out Dark Magus, Get Up with It, and Agartha.
>>73388271
Cecil Taylor is a mother fucker and a half but hes still jazz, imo.
>>73387516
>>73388228
>>73387254
You want controversy? i think Wayne Shorters solos in the 2nd quintet, especially in its earlier stages, kinda suck.
>>73388162
Being a huge fan of free jazz i would have to disagree but this is probably due to have different definitions of free improvisation.
>>73385928
REEE ECM IS AMAZING
>>73383576
In for a Penny fucked me up a whole lot when i first heard it man.
>>
>>73388458
Hooooooooooo!
>>
File: S U P R E M E.png (1MB, 1061x1189px) Image search: [Google]
S U P R E M E.png
1MB, 1061x1189px
Rate my playlist my dudes

https://open.spotify.com/user/ark_11/playlist/0Cb8xQn8LmMjlZ2WuYZoIO
>>
Why is this album so GOOD FUCK
>>
>>73388541
Joey Baron is my muthaphukkin mulatto
also I havnt heard Fulton Street Maul am I gonna get mauled?
also Bloodcount. That is all.

>>73388508
>Cecil Taylor is a mother fucker and a half but hes still jazz, imo
aw man you needa go Duke Ellington and come up out ur categories. who cares what its classified as its fuckin great
>You want controversy? i think Wayne Shorters solos in the 2nd quintet, especially in its earlier stages, kinda suck.
ooo thats a spicy one. Ill have to get back to you about that.
>In for a Penny fucked me up a whole lot when i first heard it man.
reading this made me kek. fuck man.. Threadgill...

anyone seen this before?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdfcMH9lQNA&t=1527s
(the lady at the start scares me)
>>
>>73388591
favorite parts?
>>
>>73388839
I just love Thelonius in small settings like this (solo or with a small band) where he can make use of silence. It's beautiful, and I'm almost certain All Alone is based on a Chopin piece, I just can't figure out which one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9PRxunAfgU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDqAOUf8jrA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhp_wYUDgc0

It's one of these two, I'm certain of it
>>
>>73388347
Oh fuck yes.
I forget witch Aerobatics it is, somewhere in the middle of the record, he plays the fuckin longestest-held note ive ever feckin herd
I'm not gonna ask for ur favourite Bailey but, would you be down to listen to one of his albums in tandem and talk about it? I havnt heard Concert in Milwaukee yet

Oh but wait I'm gonna put on Fulton Street Maul anyone care to join me?
>>
re-posting this cause it's fuckin insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAVXGWEumUc
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK5zNDGkQ2w

I just watched all of this. Jimmy Crawford on drums, was a favorite of paul motian.
>>
>>73389063
That sounds really interesting, I can't right now but I'd happily some other time, do you have some way we can stay in touch? I've been slowly working my way through his album with Dave Holland lately.
>>
How does /jazz/ feel about dark jazz like Bohren & der Club of Gore?
>>
I'll just... put this here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uco5FNbjqv0
>>
>>73389120
I made the last 2 threads, this one included, so I'll just make the next one tmrw if this one dies then just make your presence known when youre ready and then well fuckin jayam homeboi

Hey Nuff im starting Maul... god damn i love odd patterns like that, go bassist go! (0:43)
>>
Go Hank Roberts go! Holy shit he's playing the head along with Berne and it almost sounds like 2 horns, thats dope (2:13)
>>
>>73389133
I downloaded some dark jazz from a sharethread once and liked it, think it was Exit Oz?
Havnt heard the dudes ur talkin about but il be addin em to the list
>>
File: the fringe .jpg (38KB, 500x493px)
the fringe .jpg
38KB, 500x493px
>>73389302
eh im too stoned and listening to donald fagen. spent all day looking at whacky ass art and getting this gig/session together for next week.
>>
File: tru.jpg (84KB, 640x650px)
tru.jpg
84KB, 640x650px
>>73389302
sure thing mah boy, ill see you then
>>
>>73389366
ok cool. also posting like that is mad tiring lol

that all sounds pretty neat. cheers famo!

>>73389400
who dat?
>>
How do you really critique jazz? I'm wanting to deeply get into the genre, but I find it difficult to differentiate between good and bad jazz. What do I need to do? What am I missing?
>>
>>73389440
zoot sims
>>
>>73389535
ah thx, I thot it mightve been a tnetennba :p
>>
>>73389520
that's people's problem man! just lay back and enjoy the riiide dont think you gotta sort the jazz into piles of good and bad... it's all good baby, how do you think these fools made it to wax? Srsly man yall niggas overthink shit way too much
>>
>>73383661
pls/thx newfig
>>
>>73389520
i thought i had that problem when i first starting listening but it was really because i hadnt heard of anything bad, if your just listening to like the greats, which is what most people are into. like all that shits good, what have you been listening to?
>>
>>73389520
jazz really opens up
if you dont like it then you dont like the musician's mind at that point
if you do then so be it you like it
its not made for mass media and hubub, just music to pay close attention to
>>
dont get me wrong I'm not all too melodic when it comes to jazz but you must believe in spring is really doing me good right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-QoEPnc-3Q
>>
Fuckin love Berne's shit so much like how he'll usually have a free solo but over a funky beat or an odd time sig beat

~3:40-3:46 in Miniature just lit my nips aflame, that crazy trilly thing
>>
>>73389971
I hope that dumbass from yesterday got the memo ;)
>>
>>73388508
>i think Wayne Shorters solos in the 2nd quintet, especially in its earlier stages, kinda suck

How do you mean? Uninteresting? Or too try hard?
>>
>>73390105
the language lacks color and i dont think he swings particularly hard. and man ive really really tried to dig his stuff but i can always pick him and hubbard out of a line up and not in a good way.
>>
>>73390146
>and hubbard
whaaat rly? he can be kinda cliché and cheesy on his straight ahead shit but come on he played on Coleman's free jazz. Can you pick out his playing in that? I wudnt be entirely surprised if you could but it might give you some different perspective or somethin
>>
>>73389003
I know Monk listened to Chopin. Parker too. So its quite likely
>>
>>73385928
>what are your most controversial jazz related opinions?
Bitches Brew is outstanding, but In a Silent Way was a disappointment like no other. Alice Coltrane's Journey in Satchidananda is just bad.
>>
>>73390146
>>73390228
Haha it's funny you say that because I find Hubbard's playing to feel like plastic, but Shorter's to be very vibrant, even with Davis. To each their own I guess
>>
>>73390848
Wud u say he sounds more plastic than Ornette Coleman's horn? Heh heh... jazz humour... heh... plastic horn..
>>
>>73390646
I agree 100% with all three of those statements, although In a Silent Way has grown on me slightly over the years.

I would add to that that the Sketches of Spain are also far more intelligently constructed than IaSW, and that it's in the running as Miles' best album.
>>
File: hannonball the cannonball.jpg (93KB, 890x947px) Image search: [Google]
hannonball the cannonball.jpg
93KB, 890x947px
>>73385928
>what are your most controversial opinions?

I have some:

1.) Rudy van Gelder was a fine producer, musicians like Mingus just didn't like him because he was an auteur like they were

2.) Progressive Rock at its best is usually superior to Jazz Fusion, as the former is trying to make rock more complex and the latter is trying to make Jazz more accessible. This often results in lots of prog arrangements and ideas being more interesting, in my mind, as the pursuit of accessibility often stultifies music and makes it more conventional. Having said that, perhaps contradicting myself, lots of albums sometimes listed as fusion (like Bitches' Brew) are actually just straight jazz in my view.

3.) (This one will trigger /mu/) Speak like a Child era Herbie was much better than Head Hunters era Herbie.

4.) Cannonball Adderley was ludicrously underrated, and is every bit as good a player, arranger and composer as the best jazz saxophonists. Sonny Rollins, on the other hand, is a wonderful player but his compositions/arrangements leave me cold.

5.) There is absolutely nothing wrong with a jazz album that focuses on standards, often they have the highest standards of musicianship and production values. Art Blakey!!!!! Jazz Messengers!!!!! and Soultrane are two that spring to mind.

6.) (Not really controversial, but has to be said) I've seen /mu/ shit on Kind of Blue, A Love Supreme and Black Saint and the Sinner Lady time and again for being normie-tier, purely because they are well-known, but if you're not a hipster it's very hard to deny that they really are three of the greatest albums of all time.
>>
>>73391657
I haven't listened to Sketches of Spain yet and I've heard similar opinions on it. I think I'll enjoy it. For some more opinions - Sonny Sharrock is an underrated guitar player and "compared to" Derek Bailey his playing is structured and competent, Rahsaan Roland Kirk is extremely underrated and sadly almost forgotten.
>>
>>73389520
Read how other people critique jazz. Leonard Feather, Nat Hentoff, Ted Panken are good critics and whether or not you agree with them, their writings can make you think. Or for more modern jazz releases JTG's reviews are good usually.
>>
>>73391781
I agree with pretty much all of these except #2 I think you're just generalizing too much and #5 I agree there's nothing wrong with an album of standards, BUT I think if you're just reading the standards down and not doing some kind of new arrangement or twist to them, that kind of album will pretty much never be as good as an album of good originals or of good new arrangements of standards.
>>
>>73389520
I would start by acknowledging that smooth jazz, jazz pop, nu jazz, acid jazz and any number of modern pop oriented jazz genres are a disgrace to jazz music.
>>
>>73387054
kek
>>
>>73385928
Guitar jazz is boring
>>
File: folder.jpg (867KB, 1511x1465px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
867KB, 1511x1465px
>>73392792
Pleb as fuck
>>
Can I get some reccs similar to pic related?
I liked the chill vibe.
>>
File: 1484336561740.gif (933KB, 343x284px) Image search: [Google]
1484336561740.gif
933KB, 343x284px
>jazz record has a 12 bar blues jam
>>
>>73381451
Just did a remix of some Bud Powell. I fucking love Bud Powell, totally underated pianist - always in the shadow of Monk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dweMfRbO0NQ
>>
Post some of your stuff if you play jazz. I've heard there are some actual musicians in these threads.
>>
>>73394015
I totally would if I was at me dads place. He has a piano to give me but I live 2 hours away. Desperately waiting on the beauty. I'm not that good though :(
>>73393548
Nothing wrong with that senpai.
>>
>>73393979
There's a LOT of stretching artifacts. I must be honest, I hate this genre in general though.
>>
Jazz is such a boring music, why do people glorify it so much? Is it about technicality ? Is it really that hard because it sounds like shit sorry
>>
>>73394163
What do you normally listen to?
>>
>>73394188
roughly , classic rock, prog rock/metal, ambient stuff ranging from some black metal ,electronic ambient to late 80s/early 90s trance music.
depending on the mood of course, but i highly value and enjoy long complex songs that somewhat resemble the ballads with powerful vocals and guitar solos.

im currently listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Xlmh0lvK0
and few minutes ago I've listened to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT8dNkD-Byc
>>
>>73394326
Given that you've most likely made a thead suggesting all prog sounds like Dream Theater, I'm not sure if I should take you seriously.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT8dNkD-Byc
Either way, here are some videos on the topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsEdnD7Qxeo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmC4LYbA20g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgmxCqjitXQ
>>
>>73394421
there is a reason why niggers invented this and why white people made symphonies and operas
>>
>>73394684
>there is a reason why niggers invented this and why white people made symphonies and operas
Like clockwork. Good thing I was saging.
>>
>>73394709
you cant sage the truth
>>
>>73394721
Tell that to your redpilled friends over at:
>>>/pol/
>>
>>73394736
irrelevant

truth is truth

low IQ people enjoy chaotic, jungle-tier vibrations without any depth and emotion to it

thank god that white people took blues and raised it to another level
>>
>>73394684
dont pretend like you appreciate either of those things you fucking plebeian
>>
>>73394015
bossa thing

https://clyp.it/2cuhx5v2
>>
>>73394779
How did you even get here? And is there really nothing better to do on a friday night instead of a shitposting rampage on /mu/?
>>
>>73394916
the real question is why are you still responding to such an obvious low-effort troll?
>>
>>73394916
>its night on the whole planet
jazz-tier IQ

>>73394945
you fags didnt even try to prove me wrong, what can you possibly even say? " we like it "? lol subhumans
>>
>>73394945
It started with a fairly "reasonable" post:
>>73394163
>>73394326
Good thing I was saging.
>>
>>73394146
Fair criticism. Dropping the tempo by half didn't help that.
>>73394163
Most people don't seem to glorify jazz. Only those who really like it do.

A lot of the appeal is the complexity of the chords and the improvisational aspect, hence it's lack of appeal to non musicians,
>>
>>73394779
>chaotic, jungle-tier vibrations
It's sad that you are so woefully ignorant of harmony that you actually think this. You're so pleb tier you can't even appreciate the chord extensions
>>
>>73395311
this is harmony https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpA0l2WB86E

not your beastiality degeneracy
>>
>>73395425
schubert is great, but again, this is accessible as shit for classical music and I seriously doubt a plebeian as unknowledgeable as you could appreciate his 9th symphony
>>
>>73394913
is that you JTG? how do you play stuff that sounds bluesy but without it sounding cheesy? whenever I try to play bluesy sounding stuff on a song that's not a 12 bar blues it just sounds cheesy.
>>
>>73395425
It's nice, sure. But are you so absorbed in your retardedness that you are blind to the complexity of jazz harmony and the skill it requires to improvise well over it?
>>
>>73396123
I think he's had enough (You)s.
>>
>>73396123
>literally comparing music of the higher being and divinity with shake-your-ass type of savage and primitive beats

>>73396145
cry more monkey
>>
>>73395593
Really just depends on the context. You can play blues stuff over quartal voicings for a more modern kind of sound. You can also play blues stuff based on the extensions of the chords or the implied extensions. So if you've got an EbM7 chord you can play C blues scale stuff or you can play G blues scale stuff.

It helps to look at the pentatonic scale and its relation to the blues scale. So whatever pentatonic scale you'd use on a chord you can add one note and make it into a related blues scale.
>>
>>73396335
aren't you always shitting on kamasi for using the pentatonic scale though?
>>
>>73396536
Pentatonic scale is part of the fabric of jazz. I don't think there are too many players who play 'tonal jazz' who don't use the pentatonic scale to some degree at least. But when your solo consists of only ONE pentatonic scale, it makes it pretty tough to play an interesting and dynamic solo.

Even if you're not "playing the pentatonic scale" it's a good way to organize your playing and use as a reference point, like how I talked about using it as the basis for finding blues scales that will sound good on various chords.
>>
>>73390646
I don't get the hate for in a silent way
it's gorgeous and ethereal jazz
the use of electronic instruments only helps it
>>
>>73396713
>I don't get the hate for in a silent way
It's not hate in my case, although daring to criticize Miles has become a sacrilege. The album goes nowhere, even though it's not modal jazz and it isn't ethereal the way Eno's albums are. What disappointed me too is that's very little texture to hold your attention and that's not what I expect from "experimental" music. Bitches Brew may have been what In a Silent Way was meant to be.
>>
>>73396872
There's very little*
>>
>>73392792
the tone is usually the same which might be boring to some , but otherwise I love Jazz guitar
>>
>>73396664
How do you feel about Wayne Shorter's solo on Charcoal Blues?
>>
I want to play some jazz songs but every experienced jazz player says learning by ear is important and part of the culture. I have no training in this whatsoever, anyone got some tips for a beginner?
>>
>>73381451
Most recent favourite is Doris Day and Andre Previn's 'Duet'
>>
>>73397754
Pat Martino might be one of the "worst offenders" sadly. On the other hand, Wes, John Scofield, Sonny Sharrock and Metheny have wastly different and unique guitar tones.
>>
>>73397817
You can't just start learning by ear exclusively unless you want a very steep learning curve. I'd personally recommend buying a Real Book and listening to recordings while following the chords from the book; become familiar with common jazz chord movements like ii-V7-I's and transcribing some early Miles Davis and Charlie Parker solos. Always transcribe by ear. I don't know how much experience you have on your instrument though and this is coming from a sax player so idk how well it would work for chordal instruments.
>>
>>73385928
Sun Ra is actually good.
idk what the general consensus is here on /mu/ but I know some people would come at me for saying this
>>
>>73398234
I don't think anyone other than the purists would disagree.
>>
>>73397800
It's not one of his best. Mostly because his time feel is all over the place though. I guess you're bringing it up because he sticks to pentatonic stuff in his solo a lot, but in the middle he does a fair amount of chromatic playing too I think. Elvin's drumming also improves the solo a lot.
>>
>>73397817
Yeah the other guy is right. It's very very difficult to learn tunes by ear if you've never learned tunes at all. There's nothing at all wrong with learning at least 3-5 tunes from a lead sheet before attempting to learn a tune by ear.

Then with those tunes that you've already learned practice transcribing some things. Pick a clear, straightforward recording of the tunes and see if you can transcribe the bassline and the chord voicings being used and see how they relate to the chords on the lead sheet. That will help you with eventually learning tunes by ear.
>>
File: Lars Danielsson - Liberetto III.jpg (59KB, 599x538px) Image search: [Google]
Lars Danielsson - Liberetto III.jpg
59KB, 599x538px
I'm about halfway in and digging it so far. I wonder why my boy Tigran isn't back for a third round on the keys? The replacement dude is just as good, though.
>>
>>73394015
https://clyp.it/franv3c5
Summertime. Sorry it's solo
>>
>>73398874
>>73390848
Shorter solo thread? I'm pretty partial to Iris off ESP. He has some really great ones off Live at the Plugged Nickel as well. Also that solo on Orbits off Without a Net is pretty great.
>>
>>73399475
How about "Orbits" from Miles Smiles? That's one where I feel like almost every phrase Shorter plays relates in some way to the melody of the tune. Miles' solo too.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx2B5t4doTE
>>
https://youtu.be/O1yC7WPDhsM
While not being outstandingly proficient and not being a "jazz" musician, Robert Wyatt delivers a cornet solo capable of moving people to tears. Which jazz solos do you feel have the same effect? I'd also argue that Miles' solos on So What and Blue in Green fit.
>>
>>73399674
Oh yeah it's good, but I think Herbie's is more the standout of that recording. Wayne stays a little too close to the head for my taste. It's still good don't get me wrong, but the way Herbie's phrasing interacts with Carter's bassline just gets me.
>>
>>73399848
I think pretty much everything Herbie did on Miles Smiles was on point. He's pretty much the star of that record as far as I'm concerned.

I think Carter and Williams sound at their best on Sorcerer.
>>
File: mljp.jpg (18KB, 357x499px) Image search: [Google]
mljp.jpg
18KB, 357x499px
Give me some solid books on learning jazz piano boys, I'm convinced there other good books out there besides pic related
>>
>>73400080
*are
>>
>>73400080
>>
>>73400080
for solo piano
>>
>>73400080
Bill Dobbins has several books that are very good but I think some of them are out of print now
>>
File: page 2.png (121KB, 602x816px) Image search: [Google]
page 2.png
121KB, 602x816px
>>73400080
but really the best thing you can do is find solos you like, transcribe them, and figure out how to add those kind of ideas to your own playing
>>
File: william parker.jpg (88KB, 500x703px) Image search: [Google]
william parker.jpg
88KB, 500x703px
just talked to mr. parker, set up another lesson which will be nice. has anyone ever spent time only practicing their own compositions? im giving it a try, like instead of shedding standards and practicing improvising on them, im doing all the shit id normally do over my own tunes. its rewarding.
>>
>>73400362
The amazing slowdowner is a godsend for transcription. Helped me learn some Erroll Garner licks
>>
>>73385928
why do people think it's ok to call ecm jazz a genre?
>>
File: The-Aristocrats.jpg (150KB, 870x459px) Image search: [Google]
The-Aristocrats.jpg
150KB, 870x459px
To me, Jazz possesses the highest contrast in talent:listenability. As in high:low. Personally, I have a snarky distaste for the way it's usually set up to bounce wanky solos off each band mate. Then anything that resembles a chorus or verse is pure cheese...

I do love some jazz fusion, though it still can be a bit tiresome on the solo wankery. Examples:

Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy
Bill Bruford - One of a Kind
Allan Holsdworth - The Sixteen Men Of Tain
Attention Deficit - The Idiot King

Most recently, I've been listening to these guys a lot, who are playful and often childish but assuredly focused masters of their instruments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htg_vzb9y5k
>>
>>73388508
>You want controversy? i think Wayne Shorters solos in the 2nd quintet, especially in its earlier stages, kinda suck.
hhaha no.

if anything miles solos sucked during the 2nd quintet. half of his solos are unlistenable. literally the only good thing about him is that he controls the band. like his solo in all of you.

but in terms of soloing he's miles (lol) behind the rest of the group. Also why VSOP sounds much better. because freddie owns him.
>>
>>73389520
go to a local jam session lmao
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0jJ5Y73ab9l

Could I get some feedback?
>>
>>73400945
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g51iNlKVp48
I didn't know Aimee was on /mu/
>>
Jazz is just noise, there is no melody, and if there is melody it's deemed "too pop". It's the nigger music/rap of its era.
>>
File: SR1.jpg (4MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
SR1.jpg
4MB, 3024x4032px
>>73398234
Speaking of Sun Ra, I finally found this long interview that Sun Ra did for Downbeat in 1970, that I've been looking for forever. It's almost pure nonsense.
>>
File: SR2.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
SR2.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>73401285
>>
File: SR3.jpg (4MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
SR3.jpg
4MB, 3024x4032px
>>73401311
sorry if they're kind of hard to read
>>
File: SR4.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
SR4.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>73401343
>>
>>73401375
awesome
>>
>>73401285
Nice. I love it when you post these things.
>>
>>73401285
>>73401311
>>73401343
>>73401375
Reminder that if a white artist said things like this and made music like Sun Ra did he would be almost universally hailed as pretentious.
>>
>>73400749
if you find jazz solos inherently wanky then I cant imagine you finding any solo not wanky
>>
who are some jazz >that guy's ?

>that guy who thinks all jazz is free jazz
>that guy who listened to 3 hard bop albums from the late 50's so he thinks "all jazz sounds the same"
>>
>>73402349
>Reminder that if a white artist said things like this and made music like Sun Ra did he would be almost universally hailed as pretentious.
And how does any of that have any bearing on almost entirely instrumental music?
>>
>>73402658
A sort of dual to your first one:
>that guy who refuses to listen to anything but really abrasive free jazz
>>
>>73401285
here's a Finnish national broadcasting corporation YLE interview/live footage clip from 1971. Trippy stuff.

https://yle.fi/aihe/artikkeli/2011/11/18/sun-ran-kokeellisessa-jazzissa-oli-kosminen-sanoma
>>
>>73402855
I don't know. Maybe you should ask downbeat that since they published the interview.
>>
>>73402889
I'll expand on it:
>that guy who acts superior for only listening to really abrasive free jazz, when really he only "likes" it because it's the closest thing to the metal and post-rock that he normally listens to
>>
>>73401676
>>73401495
Maybe I'll post more later.
>>
>still up
neat

>>73389400
hey let me know when ur back and if ur still interested
>>
>>73402948
>when really he only "likes" it because it's the closest thing to the metal and post-rock that he normally listens to
Ironically, even avant-garde jazz is arguably more "metal" and certainly more abrasive than most genres of metal.
>>
>>73402349
To be fair, in 1970 a lot of people white people were talking that way, but they were called hippies. Though you might have a point in that I think people now tend to look back on the white hippy stuff and find it silly, whereas people now still tend to take Sun Ra fairly seriously.
>>
File: 1462743257979.png (344KB, 600x410px) Image search: [Google]
1462743257979.png
344KB, 600x410px
I'm just gonna say it: I don't like hard bop.
>>
>>73403795
but you're not allowed to not like hard bop
>>
File: trane nip.jpg (739KB, 2230x1111px) Image search: [Google]
trane nip.jpg
739KB, 2230x1111px
>>73400901
im not big on Vsop or Hubbard in general either really. but like i said to someone else i think waynes floaty time takes away from the groove and his language lacks color.
>>73402658
>that guy who says hes a jazz musician but is really a neo-soul person.
>>
File: devilman.png (331KB, 671x581px) Image search: [Google]
devilman.png
331KB, 671x581px
Anyone else hyped to finally have a Bad Plus with a pianist that can play jazz in only 6 months?
>>
>>73400945
>>73401119
who ever this is needs to not rush phrases with her right hand and spend more time on walking basslines, i dont think theyre particularly important for pianists to be great at but if your gonna do it then atleast put more interesting harmonic ideas in them. other then that its very good and the language is great though maybe alittle derivative. pianist friend says stop using the pedal, play some bach slowly without pedal and see what happens
>>
>>73405169
What is this from
>>
>>73405169
>Orrin Evans in The Bad Plus
Holy fuck that should be interesting
>>
File: 1495121736765.jpg (48KB, 560x601px) Image search: [Google]
1495121736765.jpg
48KB, 560x601px
>>73405313
filename
>>73405328
My first choice was Craig Taborn, but this will indeed be interesting.
>>
Is there any other stuff like teitelbaum/braxton, jazz with synths that isn't fusion?
>>
>>73405328
>Orrin Evans
oh cool. i'm not really into the crisscross stuff that much but i've heard some of evans's albums on criss cross and they've all been really good
>>
File: cover.jpg (449KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
449KB, 1000x1000px
Stitt is the best Parker descendant
>>
File: cover.jpg (77KB, 358x317px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
77KB, 358x317px
>>73405438
Andrew Cyrille put out an album on ECM last year. pic related. not necesarily braxton but its out and pretty good.
>>
>>73405479
oh nice, which ones have you heard/liked?
>>
>>73405502
Every saxophonist since 55 is a Parker descendent
>>
>>73405502
Moten Swing with the oscar peterson trio is some shit, i believe.
>>
>>73405622
it was beauty and easy now were both good
>>
File: 1221.jpg (29KB, 473x471px) Image search: [Google]
1221.jpg
29KB, 473x471px
>>73405738
oh I think It Was Beauty is actually one of his weaker records but Easy Now is great

Evans isn't the leader on this one but it's great. I can't rec it enough.
>>
File: cover.jpg (151KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
151KB, 1000x1000px
>>73405656
english is not my first language, so I don't know if "descendant" is the right word. I meant that Stitt is (at least as far as I'm concerned), the best Parker style follower

>>73405707
You can't go wrong with Peterson anyway. I'm sure he woulld have made some good stuff even with Kenny G
>>
>>73405868
oh i've seen you rec that one before. i'll check it out. any other good ones i should know about?
>>
is karma a meme on here? can i spam it until it becomes one??
>>
File: Ryo-Fukui-Scenery-Jazz.jpg (252KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Ryo-Fukui-Scenery-Jazz.jpg
252KB, 1024x1024px
>>73406036
le japonese guy takes the cake anyway
>>
>>73406036
/jazz/ isn't very friendly toward pharaoh sanders
>>
File: pharoah.jpg (306KB, 900x589px) Image search: [Google]
pharoah.jpg
306KB, 900x589px
>>73406088
yall mfers need jesus
>>
>>73405987
this one is pretty good, or any of the Ralph Peterson albums that Evans plays on too
>>
>>73404624
how the fuck does his language lacks color? wayne is one of the most diverse, melodic and unique players. what the fuck does "lacking color" even mean?
>>
>>73405508
thanks man, gonna check it out.
>>
>>73406071
this reminds me

this album is actually so mediocre why the frick is it so popular
>>
File: saint john coltrane.jpg (415KB, 1074x733px) Image search: [Google]
saint john coltrane.jpg
415KB, 1074x733px
>>73406036
spam it all you want. its not a meme.
>>73406088
incorrect. if tranes the father then pharaoh is the son and ayler is the holy ghost. i love pharaohs music. im going to see him next week i believe.
>>
>>73406144
youtube recommends it to everyone who listens to a jazz album on youtube. no idea why though
>>
>>73406071
>>73406144
>>73406261
it's a good album and fuck all of you hipsters who don't like it just because it's popular
>>
>>73406115
*YOU GOT TO
H A V E
F R E E DOM
>>
>>73402349
Your assuming that Sun Ra's persona was an act
>>
>>73406931
Black Unity is his true opus imo. (Also his solo on Leo from Live at Temple University)
>>
>>73407038
I prefer his solo on Crescent desu
>>
File: chardeemcdennis.jpg (7KB, 238x212px) Image search: [Google]
chardeemcdennis.jpg
7KB, 238x212px
Sun Ra's garbage
Charlie Parker is GOAT
proof being "All the Things You Are"
>>
>>73407066
Gonna listen to it again and get back with you anon-kun
>>
>>73406150
I've never seen this picture before. Such a beautiful man
>>
>>73406826
how is disliking a boring hard bop album released more than a decade after anything worthwhile in hard bop was released, being hipster
>>
File: Herbie.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
Herbie.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>73401285
>>73401676
Got a few more.

Here's Herbie's blindfold test
>>
File: Bley1.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
Bley1.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>73407173
Interesting article about Paul Bley 1/2
>>
File: Bley2.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
Bley2.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>73407237
2/2
>>
File: Hubbard.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
Hubbard.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
>>73407268
and a Freddie Hubbard blindfold test
>>
>>73407148
>boring
Fuck you I bet you can't even give a single real criticism of the album that you didn't just steal from jazzthreadguys autistic "review" of it
>>
>>73389400
this is clearly roland kirk
>>
File: IMG_3832.png (5KB, 155x147px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3832.png
5KB, 155x147px
>>73407349
>you will never have an extensive collection of 1960s downbeat back issues to browse through
>>
>>73407173
>Herbie commenting on Keith Jarrett
interesting
>>
>>73406980
I don't think so. I think you can be very sincere and still be pretentious.
>>
File: 1426211163096.jpg (34KB, 432x432px) Image search: [Google]
1426211163096.jpg
34KB, 432x432px
>>73407038
>Also his solo on Leo from Live at Temple University
>>
new Ambrose Akinmusire live album
Jonah Levine Collective- "Attention Defecit"
>>
File: roland-kirk-kirks-work-pres.jpg (191KB, 800x788px) Image search: [Google]
roland-kirk-kirks-work-pres.jpg
191KB, 800x788px
how do I into Roland Kirk? I listened to pic related and it didn't do much for me
>>
>>73407173
>>73407237
>>73407268
>>73407349
hey jtg whats your opinion of ethan iverson? don't know if i've ever seen you comment on him
>>
>>73389971
fuck this is good
>>
>>73408184
"i talk with the spirits", "rip rig and panic"
>>
>>73407740
>you will never have enough money that you can throw it away on starting your own jazz label
>>
>>73408336
He's never been one of my favorite players, but I do like listening to him. I like the Monk-ish aspect of his playing and I think that even though he's not necessarily a 'good' pianist, I think he's a smart pianist. I don't know if I always like what he's playing but it at least always makes me stop and listen to it and think about it.
>>
>>73407268
also, has anybody ever heard anything about these tapes from 1957 with Bobby Hutcherson and Don Cherry? That sounds cool as hell but the only mention of it I can find is on this site and they don't really have much info.

http://web.comhem.se/kassman/doncherry.htm
>>
>>73401285
>>73401311
>>73401343
>>73401375
>>73407173
>>73407237
>>73407268
>>73407349
You should scan these ya fugk
>>
>>73408802
I'd love to but they're bound in yearly volumes... so they're very thick books. too think to be able to get a good scan

any suggestions?
>>
>>73408911
carefully take them apart for scanning purposes? it's not like there's any difference if you're just gonna read them.
>>
>>73408946
nah... I like having them bound and organized and all in one place
>>
FRELON BRUN!
>>
>>73408641
In his book he said he threw them out when he was moving from the West Coast to the East Coast.
>>
>>73409058
damn
>>
>>73405868
does this have something to do with pharoah sanders ?
>>
>>73408911
>>73407173
>>73407349
Hey thanks for posting these, I always enjoy reading them.
>>
>>
>>73407349
Cool.
>>
i stumbled on kenny burrell the other day and wew, i was lost in the sauce. so many fucking albums, got my mind dizzy as fuck
>>
>>73411720
Of what you listened to, what was the best?
>>
File: cover.jpg (60KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
60KB, 800x800px
I get it, but I don't think I like it.
>>
>>73381451
I'm still pretty new to Jazz and I must say I find the genre pretty daunting. I remember when I was just getting into Rock and Metal music and feeling overwhelmed by how much there was to listen to but Jazz seems to be an even bigger/denser genre. There's just so much and I feel so ignorant.
>>
>>73412611
It can be like that. But don't worry, just keep listening to stuff you enjoy. You don't have to hear everything or know all musicians. Just treat it like any other genre, listen to what you want and don't worry.

Oh, and be glad that you've not started listning to classical, that's a daunting genre if there ever was one haha
>>
>>73412611
The point of listening to/enjoying music shouldn't be to have extensive knowledge of it so don't worry about it m8. If you really get into it then that knowledge will come naturally and in a few years you will be saying stuff like "oh man i wish i could hear (amazing jazz album) again for the first time!" like you probably do with your favorite rock/metal albums.
>>
>>73403795
and I fucking love hard bop, though I can understand you not liking it.
What's your favourite jazz genre?
>>
>>73412611
think of it in other way - you will never run out of great music to listen to
>>
>>73413006
I'm a bit of a Jazz pleb so I'm not an expert on genre names but I really love the slow darker stuff. The kind of late night music. This kind of stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq5CZjJutrc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2LFVWBmoiw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLFlJIqiMLc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN6li_-aGnA
Very noir. So in a way the kind of jazz I like is the complete antithesis to hard bop in almost every way.
>>
File: cannonball.jpg (23KB, 645x890px) Image search: [Google]
cannonball.jpg
23KB, 645x890px
>>73413085
Well, Sonny Rollins is a hard bop player.
I'd recommend listening to Cannonball Adderley, especially Autumn Leaves (with Miles Davis) from Somethin Else, this is actually a song that introduced me to jazz, I think that you could like it. I think that you would enjoy this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a2n0vXa2Fs
too, I'm listening to that album right now actually.
I don't think that hard bop must be antithesis of what you described since it can also be slower and a bit darker, like that Rollins' song you posted, but I don't really know much about jazz genres.
>>
File: 1497553409580.jpg (29KB, 336x394px) Image search: [Google]
1497553409580.jpg
29KB, 336x394px
>>73413178
Thanks lad.
>>
>>73413191
I just recalled another hard bop album that you could enjoy - Kenny Burrell's Midnight Blue, I hope that you have nothing against guitar jazz - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTBMRHCfYkE this is my favourite song from it.
>>
File: jazzhip.jpg (795KB, 1800x2100px) Image search: [Google]
jazzhip.jpg
795KB, 1800x2100px
bump
>>
>>73413233
Ah yes. I'm a guitar player myself so I'm always interested in more guitar jazz, it seems relatively forgotten in the jazz canon.
>>
File: further.jpg (2MB, 3000x4593px) Image search: [Google]
further.jpg
2MB, 3000x4593px
>>73413278
here you can find some jazz guitar recs, I really enjoyed Bright Size Life, In a Silent Way and Wes Montgomery.
>>
File: Whiplash.jpg (173KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Whiplash.jpg
173KB, 1280x720px
I recently watched Whiplash and really enjoyed it, however I don't really know much about jazz (I've only listened to a few essentials) and was wondering if the movie is accurate and remains good in the eyes of someone more into the genre? Anyone here seen it and if so thoughts on its portrayal of working/studying as a jazz musician? And perhaps also thoughts on the actual music played in it
>>
>>73413439
no
>>
>>73413253
roll
>>
>>73400658
Dude it's op here, ... I'm like speechless.. William Parker is gonna give you lessons? That's beyond incredible... who.. who are you?

Can you tell him Anon said hi? Hehe. At least until I get a trip ;)

Oh and, yes. Yes I have.. It's almost as rewarding as getting LESSONS FROM MUPHUKKIN WILLIAM PARKER HOOOOLY SMOKES KID, heh
Srsly tho where do you live that ur able to do such a thing, I mean I guess a major city huh, you dont have to say where. Im jelly as fuck tho dude god damn thats awesome! Keep on rockin in the free world and doot dootle oot doot
>>
File: IMG_3833.gif (46KB, 385x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3833.gif
46KB, 385x200px
>tfw you realize that you don't even start to pick up on the small details of most jazz albums until at least the third listen
>tfw it takes minimum five listens to feel like I really "get" a great jazz album
>>
>>73414227
Ive felt that way before but then I realize it's because I'm listening while doing other shit like browsing /mu/ or elsewhere and I need to just sit down and focus on the music, cud this be your problem too?
>>
>>73414280
No. even giving the music pretty much my full attention it feels like I need at least three listens before I can say anything about it besides "it sounds good"
>>
File: brettgoldcdcover_web.png (51KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
brettgoldcdcover_web.png
51KB, 200x200px
Dreaming Big, the first album by the Brett Gold New York Jazz Orchestra just came out yesterday and is worth a listen. I am really looking forward to seeing what else they produce
>>
>>73414307
Oh well, that's probably most people to be fairly honest. I'm sure you'd be able to say if pressed which sections you liked more than other and stuff like that
>>
>>73414227
At least you realized it. I can't help but feel like a lot of /mu/ jazz fans give an album one cursory listen and then try to sum it up with meaningless phrases like "boring" or "doesn't go far enough"

Also the more jazz you listen to, the more you will be able to pick up on in your first and second listen
>>
>>73414339
>doesn't go far enough

lol. My favorite is "it was ok but it just never really went anywhere"
>>
File: oops.jpg (160KB, 600x602px) Image search: [Google]
oops.jpg
160KB, 600x602px
I feel like posting this image

>>73414339
this to the max
>>
>>73414339
>>73414385
If it doesn't grab my attention right away then how good could it really be?
>>
>>73414496
I hope you're being facetious
>>
>>73405868
>>73406123
why are all the criss cross cover arts so bad?
>>
>>73414661
they look '08/'09 as fuck
>>
>>73414661
pleb filter
>>
>>73414227
It's a good thing. You can listen to a great jazz album 50 times and still find cool new details in every listen that you never noticed before
>>
>>73414661
why does somebody have to ask this in every thread?
>>
>>73414661
I don't think they're bad really, just a little bit bland. And really, they're in some sense coming from a tradition of jazz covers just being simple pictures of the performer. After all, it's the music that matters, not the cover art.
>>
>>73414914
idk why does somebody have to post shitty album art in every thread?
>>
>>73387254
There's no problem with threads dying. Bumping shit just to keep it alive when there's no discussion is just some carry-over from /vg/ and other generals and their cancerous thread cultures. Talk about jazz for awhile, get some recs, thread dies, new thread appears sooner or later, all is well.
>>
>>73415093
And they're consistent and instantly recognizable. Maybe not as well-designed and iconic as Blue Note covers but almost as identifiable.

And most importantly they have the names of the whole band on the front cover! I think every jazz album should list the members of the band on the front, except maybe bands over 8 members or something.
>>
>>73381451
Listened to Hank Mobley - Soul Station (1960) lately. I dig any hard bop.

Recent purchases: Dexter Gordon - Go! (1962), Body and Soul (1988); Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor (1960), Antônio Carlos Jobim - Stone Flower (1970). r8, h8, thx ur gr8

What does /jazz/ think of Dexter Gordon & hard bop?
>>
>>73413253
roll
>>
>>73415780
hard bop is kinda boring after ahile. I dig the jazz messengers and clifford brown and sonny rollins stuff but the music of hank mobley for example bores the life out of me.
>>
>>73413439
fucking garbage. it glorifies abusive teaching. mr state farm is too busy being bald to know anything about music. it's only accurate if you think that supporting the music comes from belittling artists and degrading their image
>>
>>73413253
spin
>>
>>73415294
I really agree with having the names of the band members on the cover. The most interesting thing a cover can tell you is really who plays on the record.
>>
>>73381451
I've just started getting into jazz and I've listened to the essentials thus far (e.g., Kind of Blue and Ah Um). Any recs from /mu/?
>>
>>73416240
Well, was there anything in particular you liked about those records? Any musicians who stood out to you? Any tracks you preffered? It's easier to give recommendations if we know what you're looking for.

If you don't know what you're looking for exactly, I recommend Moanin' by Art Blakey. It's another classic jazz record.
>>
File: FRONT.jpg (65KB, 499x500px) Image search: [Google]
FRONT.jpg
65KB, 499x500px
Anybody heard Alex Sipiagin's latest album? Thoughts? Personally I think it's one of the best I've heard from him yet.
>>
File: 1493867130995.jpg (2MB, 1700x2200px) Image search: [Google]
1493867130995.jpg
2MB, 1700x2200px
>>73416240
say what you enjoy, it'll ber easier to rec something You could also try those charts

>>73413253
>>73413331
>>
File: 1493813149693.png (1MB, 1700x2200px) Image search: [Google]
1493813149693.png
1MB, 1700x2200px
>>73416576
>>
File: ecm2.png (1MB, 1700x2200px) Image search: [Google]
ecm2.png
1MB, 1700x2200px
>>73416576
>>73416602
>>
This guy is very innovative and super underrated. Check this out if you want some new and interesting progressive jazz https://youtu.be/HOZm319Bf0I
>>
File: jtg.png (3MB, 3622x3622px) Image search: [Google]
jtg.png
3MB, 3622x3622px
>>73416620
>>73416602
>>73416576
>>
>>73416946
i might make one of these for impulse releases
>>
>>73417547
I like that format. I want someone to make one for Prestige. Their catalog is huge.
>>
>>73416946
can somebody post the blue note version of this one?
>>
>>73416450
I still havnt heard Balance
>>
was JTG eaten by wildebeests?
>>
>>73411849
>no reply
wew indeed
>>
>>73413253
Going for another roll
>>
Cecil Taylor - Nefertiti, the Beautiful One Has Come
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYXmFjkB5bHv5171zbBWIZz7b-i84QC_p
cecil taylor! omg. now i'm listening to a download with more trax than this. i thought this was a two-discer. no matter, these tracks here are somethin else huhu
>>
>>73418956
He posts anon and does reviews on rym. I'd say it gets weird for him with people who know a decent amount about his taste going into every conversation. I'd post anon if I was hin either.
>>
>>73413253
rolling for a final time tonight
Thread posts: 300
Thread images: 65

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.