[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Heavy metal is a world of its own, and even people who grew up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
Heavy metal is a world of its own, and even people who grew up listening to AOR such as Led Zeppelin and Quiet Riot seldom maintain a serious affectation for the stuff. Rock intellectuals invariably prefer punk, alternative, even hip-hop, and their disdain rankles the metal faithful. The phallic narcissism of metal has few rivals outside of toilet art, X-rated movies, and (oh yes) rap.

As one of those rock intellectuals, I remain unconverted. It never seems to occur to to metal enthusiasts that metal's virtuosity and reverb-drenched melodramatics are precisely what rock-and-roll was put on earth to save us from.
>>
File: 1444605157575.gif (1MB, 180x200px) Image search: [Google]
1444605157575.gif
1MB, 180x200px
>As one of those rock intellectuals
>>
File: Thurston for Moore.jpg (132KB, 595x725px) Image search: [Google]
Thurston for Moore.jpg
132KB, 595x725px
>>73337644
God damn it, I hate Christgau so much
>>
if christgau said this, hmu w link i wanna read it
>>
File: 1486937646404s.jpg (2KB, 125x119px) Image search: [Google]
1486937646404s.jpg
2KB, 125x119px
>>73337644
>As one of those rock intellectuals
>>
He's right
>>
I don't like metal but christgau is such an insufferable faggot that I wish I did
>>
Christgau's whole problem is that he's so fixated on disliking the image of metal that it interferes with his ability to judge the music itself. There's a ton of obvious things about metal that he also completely fails to understand.

One of the things he likes in music is a message of optimism and self-empowerment--for example, his Run DMC reviews compliment their New York tough guy street attitude. Yet most of metal is exactly that--optimism, self-empowerment, and kicking butt. He also likes confessional songs where the artist admits to some failing in life ("But David Crosby's cocaine confessional makes "Almost Cut My Hair" seem self-abnegating") yet at the same time fails to understand how guys like Halford, Hetfield, and Anselmo used their music to express their personal agonies. He confuses these things with "content that is egotistic at best and nihilistic at worst", as he puts it.

He also thinks metal's costumery and stage antics are all meaningless flash that add nothing to the music (cf. his Tom Petty reviews, although Petty isn't metal, it's the same basic idea he's conveying) but forgets that silly costumes and stage antics were a part of rock-and-roll since Chuck Berry's duck walk--all the 50s rock-and-rollers had some cheesy gimmick they did on stage.
>>
>>73337785
Yeah I mean really. What the fuck do you think was the deal with his pwecious New York Dolls dressing in lipstick and eye shadow?
>>
>>73337644
>AOR such as Led Zeppelin and Quiet Riot
Does he even know what AOR even is? Holy shit
>>
>>73337644
>t. dude who love Death Grips
>>
>>73337785
it's too masculine for him and he's said as much
>>
>>73337688
https://www.robertchristgau.com/xg/bkrev/walser-cp.php
>>
>>73337821
It's like, subverting gender roles or something maaan. But in a cool way, not like Poison.
>>
>>73337991
He gave a B+ to the one Poison album he reviewed.
>>
Metal is shit. It's the sonic equivalent of an adult still watching cartoons, or wearing a diaper.
>>
>>73338010
This
>>
Meddl Loide
>>
>>73337910
Cuckgau is an admitted male feminist.
>>
>>73337785
>>73337910
>>73338091
It's a really simple explanation; Christgau is a numale
>>
Christgau is pretty easy to figure out actually, he highly values music that has a funny or comedic side to it. The problem with Metallica, Pantera, et al is that they didn't have much of any sense of humor, they were just about "grrrr I'm mad and I want to smash things".

He liked Motorhead because Lemmy was funny. Phil Anselmo...not so much.
>>
>>73338268
Aerosmith were pretty comedic too. Which is probably why he manages to "overlook" their numerous horribly misogynistic lyrics.
>>
>>73338268
So you're saying if Metallica were from NYC and they had funnier, more self-deprecating lyrics, he'd give all their albums A.
>>
I bet he hasn't listened to any metal besides the obvious entry level bands.
>>
>>73338268
Are you serious? Nobody takes Metallica seriously, except for Metallica. I always laugh at lines like
>I WAS BORN FOR DYING
>>
>>73338468
Well, you gotta be a suicidal edgy 13 year old...
>>
>>73337644
Led zeppelin nor quiet riot werent heard by adults. Sure, the people who listened to them back then now are old adults but OP is too retarded to take that into account, and that shitgau photo tells you what kinda of people OP is.
>>
>>73338010
You are posting on 4chan dude. Metal is fun and taking punk, aklternative and other music serious is fuking stupid. Its all show bussiness, its all about entertainment and guts and flashy antics, metal knows this. If you take music like punk (a genre where musicians even dont take music seriously), alternative and other " intellectual" rock subgenre as serious and deep and not as simple raw 3-4 minutes fun songs you are literally an uber pleb
>>
>>73338268
Are you serious?? Metal is funny and never takes itself seriously (except for dark gothic doom shit and even them).
>>
>>73338968
> missing the point this much
>>
>cucks really really hate metal
it all makes sense now
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.