[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unpopular opinion: Vocals aside, Walkin on the Sun by Smash

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0026.png (80KB, 240x173px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0026.png
80KB, 240x173px
Unpopular opinion:

Vocals aside, Walkin on the Sun by Smash Mouth is actually a pretty clever pop song about how the hippie generation sold out and has a great 60s style organ instrumental
>>
>TIL
>>
>>73327746
>unpopular
Smash Mouth is very well-liked here.
>>
Don't Worry Be Happy is a good song and if you don't like it you're a miserable bastard
>>73327746
Smash Mouth are actually pretty decent and are only a meme because of All Star (which is actually not bad either)
>>
>>73327838

OP here:

I really know nothing of them outside their hits but always found their vocals and whole image cheesy. I think they are/were great at crafting really pleasantly catchy tunes, though. At their best, they sort of had a retro suburban B-52s vibe but mixed with Guy Fieri and flaming hot cheetos
>>
Aqua's Barbie Girl is an insightful deconstruction of the popular toy's role in society, its influence on women and contribution beauty standards.
>>
>>73328004

Can't tell if you're being facetious or not
>>
>>73327746

Fush Yu Mang in general is a well-constructed and really fun pop rock album that holds up well. I've tried talking about it a handful of times on this board but nobody nibbles.

A personal favorite is the song "Padrino" which pokes fun at the mafia.

After that, yes, I am unable to unironically like the band much - the association with teenybop movies fo the period was wholly voluntary on their part, and I was in my edgelord phase at the time, so I'll never really be able to like any of the later stuff. But Fush Yu Mang is great.
>>
>>73327746
>clever
nope. but really good and fun to sing a long to. i like everything about it. Especially how late 90s it is. They were good when they weren't being either shitty ska or shitty pop punk for kids movies like the Cat in the Hat
>>
>>73327912
I always thought Guy Fieri was the illegitimate child of the guy from Smash Mouth and the guy from Sugar Ray.
>>
>>73328158

The lyrics are pretty clever if you read them. It's how the love movement became a fad and commodified and everyone eventually became corporate suburbanites. And it goes well with the kitschy retro suburban video aesthetic
>>
>>73328403
Woops, that was meant to be a response to the guy above
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.