[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Every time I come back to this album I’m increasingly underwhelmed.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: Doris.jpg (18KB, 316x316px) Image search: [Google]
Doris.jpg
18KB, 316x316px
Every time I come back to this album I’m increasingly underwhelmed. Most of the songs lack structure and sometimes it’s just pathetic, like on Uncle Al, it draws you in with a crisp drum loop and an eerie 60s sci-fi synth, but he just ends it by throwing a high hat over it and calling it quits before the track can even hit the one minute mark. He starts the album with SK La Flare’s awkward flow, which doesn’t set the tone properly, RZA is wasted, and Mac Miller’s feature is awful. IDLSIDGO is no better. Solace was good and yet he just throws it away.

Will Earl ever make an album worth remembering?
>>
>>73323990
>Most of the songs lack structure and sometimes it’s just pathetic
lel no
>He starts the album with SK La Flare’s awkward flow, which doesn’t set the tone properly.
Agreed that his slow was sloppy and that Earl should've started with his verse.
RZA is wasted, and Mac Miller’s feature is awful.
Valid Complaints

It seems like you come to this album with the wrong frame of mind, expecting a cohesive or polished album. I feel this album is to represent the state that Earl was in, drowsy, jaded and unstable.
>>
>>73324152
I don't mind unpolished, drowsy, jaded or unstable. In fact I like those elements, it's a good persona and he begins to articulate those ideas well, but half the songs don't go anywhere... I do expect cohesion to some degree.
>>
File: Earl_Sweatshirt_Earl.jpg (578KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Earl_Sweatshirt_Earl.jpg
578KB, 500x500px
>>73323990
>Will Earl ever make an album worth remembering?

He already did
>>
>>73324885

This. His only good album.
>>
>>73324885
>Any shitty shock rap
>Worth remembering

You're funny. I'm pretty sure most OF members are ashamed of their early stuff.
>>
>>73324933

Earl is by far the strongest OF album. It's potent, funny and oddly charming. Luper is the best song of his career.
>>
>>73324971
Frank ocean is by far the only good thing to come out of OF
>>
>>73324971
Is frank still part of OF??
>>
Why isn't anybody defending IDLSIDGO? I think it's his strongest album. It's consistent, has his best flows and is in my opinion, one of the best hip-hop albums from this decade so far.
>>
>>73323990
I think context is really important for Earl's work. He sums up the attitude behind Doris with Vince's backing vocals and his first verse on Burgundy. When Vince pops in with
>What's up, nigga?
>Why you so depressed and sad all the time like a little bitch?
>What's the problem, man?
>Niggas want to hear you rap
>Don't nobody care about how you feel, we want raps, nigga,
we get a noticeably look into Earl's psyche. He was, what, 15 or 16 just having fun making music with his friends before he went to Samoa, and he came back to find out he was one of indie rap's biggest stars. He never even had the time to adjust to his personal life before being launched into his professional life. He was trying to make things right with his mom, be with his grandma while she was passing away, and deal with all the drama going on within the OF crew, and all he was hearing from his fans was "Hey man, when are you gonna put out some new music?" This is a theme that gets brought up multiple times in Doris, and why I think so much of it is so burned-out and lethargic, because that's where Earl was at the time.

I would argue that IDLSIDGO is a departure from that, though. His voice is a lot less monotonous and his verses are a lot more structured and topical for the most part. The beats are more sparse and minimal, but they're more consistent and give him room to find his voice as a rapper. The material is darker because he had broke his leg or something and wasn't eating because he was depressed, but there's more catharsis in Mantra and DNA than anything else in his catalog with the exception of Chum, maybe. It's not a masterpiece, but it was a necessary step for him if he will one day make one. Personally, I think whatever he does next will be his definite opus.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.