[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw you haven't found a genre of music that you fully

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 5

File: 1405655941443[1].png (34KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
1405655941443[1].png
34KB, 633x758px
>tfw you haven't found a genre of music that you fully like
Shit is frustrating. I feel like there's some genre out there that I'd truly enjoy as much as everyone else enjoys their music, but I've searched so long and hard and found nothing, except for a few stand-out songs that don't really fall into any place. At this point I think there really isn't a genre that appeals to me. I should've found it by now.

Anybody else feel the same way?
>>
>>73319160
Maybe it's not genres that you like, but just good music.
>>
>>73319160
just describe what your looking for. or at least the elements you like.
>>
No. I just have a month phase where I prefer one genre of music over the other. I love this because I don't listen to the same shit over and over
>>
>>73319175
Yeah but shouldn't certain types of music appeal to me? It's awful listening to music and only finding one appealing song out of a thousand no matter what genre I listen to
>>
>>73319184
I just want something that's fast paced, piano heavy, with a lot of swing and male vocals. Preferably something progressive or really out there as well.

I like 1/20 piano jazz covers of classical music I find
I like 1/100 old Progressive rock songs I find (Roundabout, Trilogy, Tarkus)
I used to be big into the Doors, Billy Joel, and Queen. I still love Bring Back that Leroy Brown and Soft Parade though.
Good Vibrations is also a really fun song as well

And besides that, I listen to a decent amount of piano/jazz covers of video game music because I think something in video game music appeals to me
>>
>>73319217
nvm you're just autistic
>>
>>73319217
>I think something in video game music appeals to me
you might be autistic. try one of these two options. or both.
>https://psychology-tools.com/autism-spectrum-quotient/
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHVarQbNAwU
>>
>>73319217
Are you the guy who keeps posting the Good Vibrations threads?
>>
>>73319383
I never go on /mu/ lol. I don't listen to a lot of rap, nor do I know anything about music that's popular in any culture (4chan, Leddit, etc.)
>>73319333
I mean, video game music serves a different purpose than most music. It's supposed to keep you engaged while setting a certain tone that coincides with its setting. I think that type of function appeals to me because I like tone in music (which is why I like Vaporwave as background music) and music that attempts to make you feel a certain thing.

I feel like a lot of music that is made for purely listening or dancing doesn't have the same effect, because they're distinctly different with different purposes as well.

Also I'm not really autistic, I just don't have a lot of taste that aligns with the average person and I'm considered "different" (good or bad, depending on who knows me) by pretty much everyone lol
>>
>>73319358
I don't know. I can see how this album is objectively good. It just doesn't appeal to me. It doesn't really have a lot of energy in my point of view.

I scored a 13/50, btw. So it must be something else lol
>>
I felt that way back in high school before I really got into black metal and now it's 6 years later and I still listen to black metal so take that for what you will. Certain genres lend themselves to being enjoyed passionately moreso than others I'd say
>>
>>73319504
That's why I keep looking. I'm hoping I'll find something sooner or later through sheer luck lol
>>
>>73319450
>>>73319383
>I never go on /mu/ lol. I don't listen to a lot of rap, nor do I know anything about music that's popular in any culture (4chan, Leddit, etc.)
I think you're very, very bored and that you're trying too hard. You don't have a taste that along with the average person:
>I used to be big into the Doors, Billy Joel, and Queen. I still love Bring Back that Leroy Brown and Soft Parade though.
>Good Vibrations is also a really fun song as well
>And besides that, I listen to a decent amount of piano/jazz covers of video game music because I think something in video game music appeals to me
Where are you even going with this?
>>
>>73319535
Aligns*
>>
>>73319535
I am kind of bored, but it's a problem I was hoping /mu/ could possibly solve since y'all know a lot about music. How am I trying too hard? Do you mean that I'm trying too hard to find music that I like?

And the poster to whom I was replying was asking me about my music taste, so I was kind of giving him a picture of the types of music I like
>>
>>73319524
Yeah it might very well be something you don't expect based on your past listening history. One thing that always helped me find new stuff at a formative time was just hanging out with people who are into music and getting exposed to new stuff. Who knows what's out there
>>
>>73319562
Yeah but pretty much every time someone plays something, I don't like it. (Most of it is a lot of normie shit, but I even try to give that a chance)
>>
art could be perceived in numerous ways.

>>73319571
>pretty much every time someone plays something, I don't like it.

tell me a specific song someone played for you and tell me why you didn't like it.
>>
>>73319635
I mean, just look up any of that mumble rap stuff that they play in the gym. It's boring and it doesn't sound good. I usually don't like the instruments involved either
>>
>>73319555
By trying too hard I meant:
>Leddit
Either way, I will respond in an hour or two with genuine recommendations. Given that whatever this is >>73311215 didn't get deleted, I'd say your thread shouldn't have a problem staying up.
>>
Just listen to music and find out what you like about it. If you want to listen to music that's so good in your head, then you might as well just make the music yourself.
>>
>>73319160
It's time for classical.
>>
>>73319450
>engaged while setting a certain tone that coincides with its setting.
Maybe try ambient music?
Here's a classic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNwYtllyt3Q
>>
File: angry fererro rocher.png (25KB, 182x156px) Image search: [Google]
angry fererro rocher.png
25KB, 182x156px
>>73319450
>>73319450

>vaporwave
>video game music

we're dealing with a 14 year old pleb here, /mu/.
drop this thread he won't like ANYTHING you give him.
>>
>>73319717
I've thought about that honestly but music theory is so daunting. I've played piano on and off for about a decade but I've always been bad with the theory.
>>73319688
Uhh... I generally just call it Leddit because I hate the Reddit culture. I think you're looking too much into this
>>73319719
Classical is okay but it doesn't have a lot of "swing" to it. I like ragtime even though it kind of all sounds the same
>>73319747
Why won't I like anything I'm given?
>>
>>73319358
Scored an 8. There's hope for me yet!
>>73319160
If you like high energy piano music you might dig Mouse on the Keys or Fox Capture Plan, they're both instrumental groups though.
>>
>>73319764
I'm >>73319688. Given that you've said this:
>And besides that, I listen to a decent amount of piano/jazz covers of video game music because I think something in video game music appeals to me
I'd imagine that you're listening to music on YouTube and treating music as a pleasant background noise. I'd recommend watching this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbE5sfYhxIk
If you're planning on listening to actual classical music and jazz, you should at least have a grasp on music theory on some level. For piano oriented jazz I'd recommend: Bill Evans, Thelonious Monk, Herbie Hancock, Art Tatum, Oscar Peterson, Lennie Tristano. If you want digestable and "tame" progressive rock, I'd recommend Canterbury scene bands, Porcupine Tree, Genesis, Camel, Eloy, Alan Parsons Project. You can find download links and guides for classical music in /classical/ threads here, but don't attempt discussing anything there. With all that being said, I'm almost certain that this is true >>73319747
and that I've wasted my time.
>>
>>73320453
I sometimes use it as background noise, but I drive a lot and am 100% focused on the music while driving.
But this is a really good list and I appreciate someone putting in the time to lead me to some good music. I didn't expect it, but I'll definitely give it a listen. I like a few of Genesis' progressive songs already (Firth of Fifth).

Why do you agree with that poster though? Is there some fundamental problem that I have? Is it because I may be treating music as a pleasant background noise?
>>
>>73319217
Sounds like breakcore is the genre for you.
>>
>>73320508
>Is it because I may be treating music as a pleasant background noise?
I just explained that. And if you're truly interested in music, the video I've linked discusses exactly that.
>>
>>73320508
Because you seem to fit really well into a certain stereotype.
>>
>>73319160
what artists have you listen to in each genre? and have you listened to every genre? any loui armstrong and ella fitzgerald?
>>
>>73320548
What's that stereotype?
>>73320551
I haven't listened to EVERY genre. I can recognize what won't appeal to me (shit like heavy metal or country). But I've went deeper into some genres that have shown promise like progressive rock (Gentle Giant, Yes, Genesis, ELP, The Nice) and jazz (I've gone through a lot but not much has stood out. I listen almost exclusively to Eugen Cicero at this point)

And Yeah I listened to a decent amount of Armstrong and Fitzgerald. They were in my music history class as well so I'm decently acquainted with others in their genre as well.
>>73320543
Well I was curious if that was the only reason. I don't personally think I do. I mean, I do at times, but I figure everyone uses music as background music at some points. I have my time when I really focus on the music and enjoy it. But you know more about this shit than I do lol so I'll take your word for it
>>73320548
What stereotype is that? I'm curious
>>
File: Cover.jpg (393KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
393KB, 1200x1200px
>>73320521
Best genre. OP listen to this (but start from the second track)
>>
>>73320584
and nothing seemed to stick? thats interesting, maybe try some more obscure genres, like lo fi hip hop?
>>
>>73320601
I'm generally not a fan of hip hop tbqh honest, but I'll give it a look, It might take some time because I have kind of a list now lol. That and someone mentioned a "Zolo" genre that is catching my attention
>>
>>73319358
great album anon
>>
File: Cover.jpg (95KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
95KB, 720x720px
>>73320601
keep in mind this is the real lo-fi shit, and not the gayass faggot anime meme crap
keepit 100
>>
>>73320615
neither am i, however i find this genre to be very different, its somewhat basic, and has a great lounge atmosphere because it includes lots of jazz elements in its melody, combined with simple keys and bass over an old school hip hop beat, usually without lyrics. amazing for smoking weed to.
>>
>>73320595
Alright, give me some time though
>>
>>73319160
your parents probably never played good music for you when you were a kid. you're gonna have to branch out. you won't like it at first but after a while you'll enjoy stuff you never would have expected
>>
>>73320646
I started off listening to dadrock and Weird Al if that counts lol. I don't think my parents had any higher expectations for an elementary schooler
>>73320633
>>73320628
Not gonna lie. I'm not a huge fan of this type of music. I only drink, so weed or any other type of mind altering shit is never combined with music for me
>>
>>73320628
but i wanna be a real animu boy
>>
>>73320595
>>73320621
A bit too techno for me. Thanks for the suggestion though.
>>
>>73319160
if you want energy you can try breakcore as the anon said
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIu2nAnOKZw
or maybe some fucked up jazz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL-B_Qfj30o
>>
>>73320646
just fucking listen to claire de lune then
>>
>>73320677
>my favorite things
>techno
>>
>>73320677
>v snares
>techno
>>
>>73320584
>But you know more about this shit than I do lol so I'll take your word for it
Was this supposed to be sarcastic? If so, why? I'm genuinely trying to help you and that's why I'm trying to make it clear to you that not every genre of music awards passive listening.
>>
>>73320686
Electric Masada and John Zorn in general might be a bit much for someone who's not very well versed into jazz or experimental music.
>>
>>73320703
>>73320717
Techo was a bad word. I should've said electronic.
>>73320690
I like Claire De Lune. Haven't found any good jazz covers for it though
>>73320686
Wew that jazz is wild as fuck
>>73320721
No, I'm being serious. I'm putting my faith in /mu/ because I'm kind of a casual compared to you guys lol. I may be "cooler" and more obscure than my friends, but I don't go hardcore into this shit like y'all
>>
>>73320735
true true im just seeing how anon responds
he's a very picky client
>>
File: 1490712450342.png (123KB, 785x757px) Image search: [Google]
1490712450342.png
123KB, 785x757px
>>73319217
i'm not surprised you don't find a genre you appreciate, your "taste" is awful.
>>
>>73320735
Yeah this stuff is a bit uh... too experimental for me lol. It's a fun listen but I see a lot of it as just noise for the sake of noise right now. I tried to listen to Bitch's Brew and that was a wild ride
>>73320752
What should I be listening to?
>>
Here's links
https://youtu.be/84fbU39V0Ko
https://youtu.be/8cMhQ_teEoY
>>
>>73320756
>Yeah this stuff is a bit uh... too experimental for me lol. It's a fun listen but I see a lot of it as just noise for the sake of noise right now.
Spoken like someone who's never attempted to understand music theory on any level or understand compositional techniques. Like clockwork. But then again, this isn't a suitable starting point either way.
>>
>>73320779
>>73320752
youre mean anon leave the guy alone
we were all plebs once
>>
>>73320738
>I like Claire De Lune. Haven't found any good jazz covers for it though

wtf does this even mean? are you just a total troll op or are you actually a fucking retard?
>>
>>73320779
I've stated during this thread multiple times that I'm not well versed in music. Don't tell me you're the type to not read the whole thread before posting. I have a little bit of knowledge, but it essentially ends at reading music and at one point knowing how the circle of fifths worked lol. Is there any starting point?
>>
Just listen to the mu essential chart homeboy. Start with Neutral Milk Hotel and go on from there
>>
>>73320738
>No, I'm being serious. I'm putting my faith in /mu/ because I'm kind of a casual compared to you guys lol. I may be "cooler" and more obscure than my friends, but I don't go hardcore into this shit like y'all
Do you think listening to music is equal to leveling in a MMORPG? I'm certainly getting that feeling from your responses thus far. And why would you start with a 2 hour long avant-garde jazz album?
>>73320801
I'm not being mean, I'm genuine here. Let's assume someone who's only heard Beethoven in movies is to listen to Webern and dismiss it as noise and a work of a failed attempt at composing classical music? That's certainly reasonable and does happen.
>>
>>73320845
you can't expect anything else from someone thats not used to john zorn
he's allowed to call it noise even if he's wrong, and trying to explain why john zorn isnt noise won't help at this point. could try point him into some jazz he'd like maybe
>>
>>73320845
I'm not saying that it sucks. I'm saying that I don't know enough about music and experimental jazz to appreciate it for what it is. I'm saying that I'm hearing random noise, not that it is random noise
>>73320860
At least you're cool lol
>>
>>73319217
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmXvpuseXWU
>>
>>73320860
>could try point him into some jazz he'd like maybe
I did.
>>73320453
If it was actually useful or if this was a (You) rampage remains to be seen.
>>
>>73320950
Are you implying that I'm posting for the (you)s? I don't give a fuck about that shit. I just want some music I can really like. It sucks not having something you can fully enjoy
>>
>>73319160
>labeling the infinity variety of music as "genres"
>>
>>73320764
These were okay. Not really my style though, even though I appreciate the suggestion
>>
>>73319217
Autistic people usually do have a hard time finding things
>>
>>73319450
>has to point out he's not autistic
Only a true autist would feel the need to point that out
>>
>>73320655
>Not gonna lie. I'm not a huge fan of this type of music. I only drink, so weed or any other type of mind altering shit is never combined with music for me
Holy shit we're working with a true autist
>>
>>73320584
>in a music history class
>knows absolutely nothing about music
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>73321184
I pointed it out because someone implied I was
>>73321205
>xd this loser doesn't even smoke weed???!!?!? so ur telling me he watches rick and morty sober?! what a faggit xdddd do acid pussy
>>73321237
I took a music history class for a semester. I don't know what you want me to know lmao
>>
>>73321337
shut the fuck up and fuck off, you're not welcome here
>>
>>73321337
I'm now convinced that all of this was a shitposting rampage. And I tried to genuinely reply:
>>73320453
>>
>>73320828
this
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.