[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>learning music theory >learn the basics, root notes, roman

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: beach_boys_002a_c_moa_-aug-_62.jpg (6KB, 140x142px) Image search: [Google]
beach_boys_002a_c_moa_-aug-_62.jpg
6KB, 140x142px
>learning music theory
>learn the basics, root notes, roman numeral analysis, major and minor scales, cadences etc.
>think "ok cool if I want to break the rules that's fine its just good that I get a foundation to know what rules there are to break and how to use these rules to my advantage"
>learn more
>suddenly "YOU HAVE TO DO THIS IF YOU DONT YOURE NOT GOOD THIS RESOLVES TO THIS DONT USE PARALLEL OCTAVES"
>mfw

am I in the wrong or should I just stop worrying about music theory?
>>
a good criminal can still be well versed in law
>>
>>73314008
Learn it but then use emphasized tritones in every song you write and undermine what the listener expects whenever possible

Or just do ambient soundscape stuff and never think about it again
>>
don't think about it just make what sounds good. parallel octaves sound lame though, following voice leading rules just sounds better i mean obviously depending on the context though
>>
>>73314008
where are you reading this anyway? as you get deeper into theory you start studying voice leading practices of the various styles of Western music.

The "rules" you're talking about are really just the accepted practices of these periods, not "rules" at all.

Now stop being dumb.
>>
>>73314008
Debussy got his fame by saying "fuck you" to all that shit. First learn why these "restrictions" are there, then figure out how to subvert them. But the first step is important.
>>
>>73314088
>Learn it but then use emphasized tritones in every song you write and undermine what the listener expects whenever possible

ugh don't be this guy
>>
>>73314160
>I have poor reading comprehension and/or don't know when people are being facetious
>>
>>73314008
you can do what ever you want.
dont like it inside?
go outside.
>>
>>73314008
>"YOU HAVE TO DO THIS IF YOU DONT YOURE NOT GOOD THIS RESOLVES TO THIS DONT USE PARALLEL OCTAVES"
[citation needed]
>>
>>73314160
Why not?
>>
>>73314008
The only rule is: repeat it enough that people think you did it on purpose. This goes for composition and performance.
>>
>>73314008
>break the rules
your an absolute retard if you think there are rules. only edgy faggots itt think using non functional harmony is breaking "rules"
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.