[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Post an album in which you don't understand the acclaim.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 10

ITT: Post an album in which you don't understand the acclaim. People explain it to you

pic related
>>
>>73290043
nobody tells you where to go.
>>
>>73290043
I would like to know this but for R.E.M in general
>>
>>73290043
I dunno, there are a bunch of good songs on it?

Feels very autumnal too, if that's your thing
>>
>>73290043
>>73290078
R.E.M. was kind of cult in the 90s, together with other alternative rock bands of the previous decade, like U2.
>>
>>73290043
It's very tuneful yet sad at the same time. They didn't fall for the grunge meme yet (that would be Monster), so it's also got a very timeless sound to it.
>>
>>73290043
You're not missing anything, I've heard it five or six times the past year or so along with some other work because I thought that if thirty Helens agreed there must have been something there but so far as I can tell, there may be some talent there but it has never been utilized in such a fashion as to create something meaningful. It's like listening to the equivalent of an artist who can draw well enough to make it as a meme youtube video but that's about the extent of it.

Good colored pencils, I guess I'm trying to say, but they're just colored pencils in a box that have never drawn anything.
>>
>>73290326
what a waste of that much typing
>>
>inb4 that faggot posts "singles band"
>>
>>73290043
It has one of the best 3-track endings of any album I've listened to

>Man on the Moon
>Nightswimming
>Find the River
>>
>>73290174
rem are nothing like u2 at all faggot
u2 isn't alternative or cult at all
>>
File: cover.jpg (168KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
168KB, 400x400px
>>
>>73290078
based jangle and indie pop
>>
>>73290806
100%

nightswimming is the best michaels ever done imo
>>
Manic Street Preachers.
Do people actually enjoy their albums or are they memeing?
>>
>>73291011

I literally just tried listening to this album not 30 seconds ago, found it boring, and closed out. Weird.
>>
File: 1467323222421.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1467323222421.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
>>
>>73291011
What are you talking about, they're fantastic. Great vocals, great guitar work, always have memorable melodies, plus they cover a lot of genres, from synth-pop to punk. What don't you like about them?
>>
>>73291702
It's like a sad indie music dog whistle, like ITAOTS and Hospice. Either you listen to it and it clicks and your heart breaks because the sadness in the lyrics and melodies hits you, or it's just boring garbage. Like musical cilantro.
>>
>>73291702
This I need to know. The guy is not particularly good at songwriting, the musicianship sucks, the melodies suck, the lo-fi adds nothing to the aesthetic and the whole thing comes off as a very amateurish attempt to be conceptual.
>>
>>73290854
Strings + trip hop + Björk = really beautiful harmonies
>>
>>73290043
Fables of reconstruction is their best album but find the river is their best closer and one of their best songs
In general though automatic is kinda overrated, tho it's still really good
>>
>>73291832
I can at least understand the appeal of ITAOTS because it's catchy, fun, energetic and weird. And I can see how someone can enjoy the cheap Jeff Buckley imitation vocals on Hospice or buy into the narrative within the album. I just have a hard time understanding what HOOKS people to Elverum's music, because even for sad indie there are much better musicians and singers out there.
>>
>>73291832
But ITAOTS has catchy melodies and Mangum's voice is kind of endearing
>>
>>73291832
that's an excellent description
>>
>>73291910
>>73291913
I don't know guys. I didn't really get it for a while either, then I had some shit happen in my life and listened to it for the first time in years while fairly vulnerable, emotionally speaking.

"I Want Wind to Blow" destroyed me, and the rest of the album was a very raw experience. I've been checking out Phil's other stuff since then.

If you look at reviews from the time, it was pretty lukewarm, so I'm not sure if you could objectively call it a masterpiece of composition or anything, but if you're in the right place, Elvrum can really bring out the sads in a good way.
>>
>>73291011
I can't stand anything they've done after The Holy Bible.
>>
>>73290196
Monster is good though
>>
>>73292053
Journal For Plague Lovers is The Holy Bible 2.0 but less claustrophobic and with a sardonic sense of humor. Give it a try.
>>
>>
>>73290852
>u2 isn't alternative or cult at all

t. someone born in 1999
>>
>>73292456
I'd say his delivery and vocal sound takes a bit of getting used to. He may come off as tryhard. But his lyrics are fun to dive in to or just to randomly associate, and he had a good feel for rhythm and storytelling. Apart from that, the beats are spectacular throughout the album.
>>
>>73292456
What are you, unable to appreciate white rap? Cuck.
>>
Not an album, but I swear it seems this guy phased into existence like 6 months ago and everyone's been acting like he's been some indie music mainstay rock god for decades.

I don't really find his music offensively bad, but I don't get why he's so lauded either.
>>
File: Ryan-Adams.jpg (135KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
Ryan-Adams.jpg
135KB, 600x399px
>>73292567
Forgot pic.
>>
>>73292567
>>73292583
Literally who?
>>
>>73290043
I love murmur and pretty much all rem after that confuses me, this especially though.
>>
File: D&D.jpg (45KB, 300x299px) Image search: [Google]
D&D.jpg
45KB, 300x299px
Goes for pretty much every southern/memphis rap album.

>Inb4 "It sucks on purpose it's a satire."
A bad joke is still bad.
>>
>>73291776
I honestly don't know.
I tried their first three albums, but they sound bland to me.
>>
>>73291011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlyP5Luf3AM
what are you talking about
>>
>>73290497
still less of a waste than you desu
dubs confirm
>>
>>73292745
It just, bumps, man
>>
>>73292583
He's decent
His new album is great Tbh
>>
>>
File: Animal-Collective.jpg (2MB, 2100x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Animal-Collective.jpg
2MB, 2100x1400px
>>
>>73293667
their sound can be pretty silly at times but overall the atmosphere of their music is unparalleled & at times surprisingly catchy for how nonsensical it is.
>>
>>73293626
It's every /mu/tant's wet dream: post-punk, shoegaze, industrial, post-rock, lo-fi, conceptual, gloomy, etc.
>>
>>73293626

Beyond what's said here >>73295412,

It's a testament to how little money actually needs to be spent to create a phenomenal record.

>"b-but 128kbps tho"
>People actually complain that their lo-fi aesthetic isn't hi-fi enough
>>
Unknown pleasures
>>
File: tagomago.jpg (20KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
tagomago.jpg
20KB, 225x225px
I like Krautrock like Faust, Harmonia and Embryo, but I don't get Can at all. Especially Tago Mago
>>
>>73292456
Found myslef in the same position when I first learned of his music, especially considering how his delivery and voice has drastically changed over his career.

Aesop has an impressive vocabulary and rhyme style that I feel makes him quite unique, but what makes this album so strong in my opinion are how he can tell a story with the most expressive and abstract dialogue, while still being coherent and not just wordvomit. Specifially, "Blood Sandwich" and "Supercell" are stand outs IMO.
>>
>>73290043
It's shit. It sounds like music I'd listen to while fucking my sister.
>>
>>73290043
Monty this seems strange too me
the movies had that movie thing
>>
File: tumblr_nnvy49OTMC1titub2o1_400.jpg (38KB, 400x388px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nnvy49OTMC1titub2o1_400.jpg
38KB, 400x388px
sorry but this track is god tier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGfC8uoNCgI
>>
>>73296249
Nightswimming is best though.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.