[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did hard bop and modal jazz go so unnoticed in comparison

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: thinky.w710.h473.jpg (13KB, 560x373px) Image search: [Google]
thinky.w710.h473.jpg
13KB, 560x373px
How did hard bop and modal jazz go so unnoticed in comparison to good old bebop and fusion?
Why were Horace Silver and Cannonball Adderley the best thing ever?
>>
bmpu
>>
The fuck are you talking about?

So What is modal jazz and it's objectively one of the most famous jazz songs of all time. I'd argue Kind of Blue as an album is more popular than any of Miles' fusion stuff, or at least as popular.
Hard bop gets plenty of love with Horace Silver.
>>
>>73244944
cannonball was like an absolutely perfect player, style/aesthetics wise....i love the juxtaposition of coltrane /adderly on kind of blue
>>
Inside Straight is a masterpiece
>>
>>73244944
Anyone recommend me any good Modal Jazz albums not from Miles Davis or John Coltrane. I'm still trying to see what all the fuss is about and I can only listen to the same album for so long
>>
File: My face when oil.jpg (54KB, 619x673px) Image search: [Google]
My face when oil.jpg
54KB, 619x673px
What an interesting thread!
>>
>>73245347
i listen to kind of blue every day for maybe 7 months.
put it on when driving my two years old about for a nap.
such a good time.
>>
>>73245437
>didn't get past entry-level shit
Fucking pleb.
>>
>>73245437
Kind of Blue still hasn't really clicked for me, and I personally prefer John Coltrane's My Favorite Things over Kind of Blue, but that's maybe because I'm actually familiar with the songs in My Favorite Things.

Anyways, are there any good Modal jazz albums not made by Coltrane or Davis?
>>
>>73245506
not sure how you jump to that conclusion ...other than by being a tremendous faggot i guess
>>73245517
i prefer the versions of my favorite things where hes twisting it apart live

>Kind of Blue still hasn't really clicked for me,

thats an incomprehensible statement
>>
File: 1494062981897.png (29KB, 741x568px) Image search: [Google]
1494062981897.png
29KB, 741x568px
>>73244944
>hard bop
>modal jazz

Could you maybe post a couple of tracks that exemplify the styles you're describing? I am a noob but interested
>>
>>73245566
This please. I'm genuinely interested in it but need something more entry level
>>
>>73245347
please listen to Scenery by Ryo Fukui

it has a great feel and a rendition of Autumn Leaves (by bill evans my fav)

also check out portrait in jazz by bill evans.....
>>
>>73245566

I have no idea why OP things hard bop and modal jazz went unnoticed somehow - they are after all the quintessential jazz styles of the 60's

hard bop is a style that compared to bebop is more "soulful" and "bluesy" with a harder drive - Art Blakey and Horace Silver are some representative artists
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv9NSR-2DwM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWeXOm49kE0

the term modal jazz covers a pretty wide array of different music - in general it means that instead of having a more elaborate chord progression that forces the soloists to a more narrow scope for their solos there is a more vague harmony that just establishes a key or mode leaving more freedom - in modal jazz you have stuff like sticking to one chord for several bars or just having a pedal point bass or a two-chord vamp for a long period
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwmRQ0PBtXU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylXk1LBvIqU
>>
what's the difference between hardbop and postbop?
and why did q-tips father say that hip hop teminded him of bebop?
>>
>modal jazz wen't unnoticed
Can you shut the fuck up cum slurper what is "Kind of Blue"
Bebop/Hardbop went unnoticed for a while because it was black music for black people in it's inception
>>
>>73246204
>recommending Ryo Fukui
>thinking Ryo Fukui is "good"
>thinking Autumn Leavrs is "by" Bill Evans
Dear god
>>
>>73247784
>>73246204
I have no idea why people like scenery. The drum solo on Early Summer is the best part of the whole meme album.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.