[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I better into the mechanics of music? Understanding why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: wenn22000060.jpg (55KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
wenn22000060.jpg
55KB, 600x600px
How do I better into the mechanics of music? Understanding why some sounds elicit certain emotions, why I like what I like, and how to be inspired without copying.
>>
First step is accepting Kanye as GOD.
>>
>>73238631
Already done, next?
>>
Learn music theory?
>>
>>73239217
what's musical theory
>>
>>73238590
Listen to a lot of different music. Take inspiration from many sources. Learning basic theory and harmony helps.
>>
>>73239318
I only really listen to pop and hip-hop.
>Learning basic theory and harmony helps.
Are there any Youtube channels that go into this at all? Like Sideways.
>>
>>73239217
This. Learn music theory.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_theory
>>
>>73239491
this site is actually pretty helpful.
http://www.musictheory.net/lessons
>>
>>73243293
Is there supposed to be music playing on here?
>>
>>73238590
>Understanding why some sounds elicit certain emotions
In the theory of chord progressions in classical music, each chord or set of chords has a specific purpose. Some chords feel like they're stable, some chords make you want the next chord to be a stable chord, some chords make you want the next chord to be the chord that leads into the stable chord, and so on. That might be what you're looking for, but I don't really know how well that translates to popular music. I rarely hear cadences in rock or pop songs, for an example.
>>
>>73243506
I listen to alt-pop.
>>
>>73243506
One of pop's most defining features is looping chord progressions with no finality or cadence, usually with each chord change on the downbeat or another consistent, regular pattern. That's mostly what "pop progression" means, I think.

Usually at least one chord in a pop progression feels dark/sad and another feels bright/uplifting, so all "emotion" in the song is worked into this convenient up-down interchange in one way or another. Like sad or tense lyrics with the dark chords.
>>
>>73238590
There is a very interesting book by aron copland wich deals with what you are talking about, that might be a good start
>>
>>73243435
dumbass
>>
It involves a little copying.

Find well known songs and try to locate the part where they obviously evoke certain emotions or where they climax.Find what notes or frequencies these parts utilize and create a sort of dictionary describing these feeling for each note/frequency.

When you are creating your song use these as guidelines and fill them in between with a kind of "gallop" and silence when needed.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.