[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I can't get into post-rock. I don't know if I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

File: sad frog.jpg (25KB, 850x607px) Image search: [Google]
sad frog.jpg
25KB, 850x607px
I can't get into post-rock. I don't know if I've been listening to the wrong stuff. Redpill me on the genre.
>>
Move on.
>>
I have only been listening to post rock for a short time so I only know of a few
>sleepmakeswaves
>If These Trees Could Talk
>Explosions In The Sky
>God Is An Astronaut
>>
>>73211630
It's not a real genre
>>
Don't listen to third-wave post-rock.

Listen to Talk Talk, Bark Psychosis, and Tortoise to start with.
>>
File: 1494013767250.jpg (81KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1494013767250.jpg
81KB, 500x500px
>listening to post-rock
it's a pretentious meme genre that was created by people who hate rock but still like playing guitar. f#a# is the only good post-rock album, and that's a stretch
>>
>>73211861
>what is Talk Talk
>>
tortoise, gybe
>>
>>73211871
fur real laughing stock gives me a chub
>>
>>73211861
>>73211885
Stop. Stop this right now.

Stop recommending Godspeed. They should be forgotten.
>>
>>73211630
excruciatingly simple guitar lines with heavy reverb or tempo-synced echoes trying to be passed off as "cathartic". You're not missing anything, you just prefer subtlety to being bombarded with some implied emotion.
>>
>>73211708
Come on man, most of these are the generic crescendocore plaguing post-rock these days with thrse generic string arrangements and unimaginative guitar lines

Anyone know of recent post-rock like bands that have a unique and different approach to the genre? I really like how Do make say think and talk talk takes some jazz influences for example, or even like GYBE that uses some cool samples to make soundscapes and stuff
>>
stop listening to it as individual songs, and as one long piece
>>
>>73211708
>

Listen to Transient Noise Bursts with Announcments or TNT
>>
>>73211999
>Anyone know of recent post-rock like bands that have a unique and different approach to the genre?
Grails
>>
sigur rós
silver mt. zion
>>
You might just not like it, anon.
>>
>>73211630
mogwai, mono, godspeed you black emperor, some swans' albums, alcest and deathheaven if you're into blackgaze too
>>
File: downloadfile.jpg (691KB, 1108x4321px) Image search: [Google]
downloadfile.jpg
691KB, 1108x4321px
>>73212024
Wow thats actually very nice, thanks for the rec anon
>>
>>73212166
You can't go wrong with Grails. They have a nice and sizable discography so you're bound to find something you'll like.
>>
>>73212166

transient > peng
>>
>>73212166
Surprised that Pram isn't on there.
>>
>>73212166
red sparowes' the fear is excruciating, but therein lies the answer is better
>>
>>73211708
>>73211918
>>73212056
>>73212163
>All this second/third wave post rock
Why is /mu/ full of americentric plebs?
>>
>>73211708
back to r/postrock
>>
>>73212469
>americentric
There are about 2 american bands in those posts, noncontributer
>>
>>73212469
sleepmakeswaves: Australian
God is an Astronaut: Ireland
Sigur Ros: Icelandic
Silver Mt Zion: Canadian
Mogwai: Scottish
Mono: Japanese
GYBE: Canadian
Alcest: French

Joke is on you, retard
>>
>>73212469
oh i see you're one of those "america is the only country that exists" people
>>
>>73211708
Nah don't listen to that stuff. Like other anons said, try out Stereolab, Pram, Talk Talk, Bark Psychosis, Tortoise, and Cul De Sac. It's a lot more imaginative.

>>73212225
Seconded.
>>
>>73212887
>Cul de Sac
My nig. What's your favorite Cul de Sac album?
>>
>>73212849
Can you read? He's obviously implying the opposite
>>
>>73211630
Talk Talk: spirit of eden, laughing stock
GYBE: F#A# infinity, fists
Slint - Spiderland
Mogwai - Young Team
Yndi Halda - Enjoy Eternal Bliss
Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place
Do Make Say Think - Goodbye Enemy Airship the Landlord Is Dead
This Will Destroy You: Young Mountain, S/T
>>
spiderland is the best post-rock album so if you don't like it just stop trying
>>
>>73213069
Maybe if you're new to the genre, yeah.
>>
>>73213069
I didn't like spiderland the first three or four times I listened to it, but now math rock and post-rock are two of my favorite genres, and I like spiderland quite a bit.

I think a lot of post-rock sounds needlessly pretentious and intentionally off-putting if you aren't used to listening to it, but there are plenty of albums that will still sound good to a newbie to the genre. Try
>Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
>Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die
>Mogwai - The Hawk is Howling
>Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will
>Bark Psychosis - Hex
>The Evpatoria Report - Golevka
>MONO - You Are There
>Cul De Sac - Crashes to Light, Minutes to the Fall
>>
>>73213242
I would replace those Mogwai selections with Mogwai Young Team and Rock Action.
>>
>>73211914
that is your opinion, and yours only.
>>
>>73211630
You might be like me. I like 3 of these bands >>73211708 because they are good songwriters. I thought it was because they were post-rock, so I dug around on /mu/ and boy was I wrong. I don't know the history of the genre, but so much crap that is recommended here as "post rock" descends so far into obscurity it doesn't sound anything like rock. Or, it's long, slow and doesn't go anywhere.
ITTCT has some nosebleeding riffs. Mogwai has nosebleeding riffs. That's part of their individual styles, post rock should not get that credit, just for being the spillover genre label that caught them. Because most of it sucks. It's been frustrating for me, gradually learning this.
>>
>>73213272
But I think ITTCT is uninteresting and depressing while Mogwai is fantastic, so there are probably a lot of overlapping but incompatible opinions out there. That's why you aren't going to find someone who just tells you "yeah these bands are the good post-rock and the rest are just lumped in for lack of a better name." Not everyone is going to agree on what makes it a go-to genre for them.
>>
>>73212166
what's the difference between the various waves? sound or just a chronological thing?
>>
Frodus
>>
>>73213333
Mogwai has left these like tattoos on my mind where I hear the song and it opens right back up into this intricate brilliant tapestry of memories and feelings, just the way I left it, and it's emotional music sure so it's gonna align parallel with whatever your life circumstances are at the time, but regardless of that, could it just be rare talent? So few artists do for me what Mogwai can do.
>>
The "first wave is only good wave" meme is true

Talk Talk
Pram
Stereolab
Tortoise
Dirty Three
>>
>>73213603
The only modern post-rock band that carries the spirit of those bands is Grails.
>>
>>73213366
i think it's mainly a chronological thing, but you can spot some similarities especially between the third wave bands.
>>
File: 1493072648550.jpg (46KB, 495x414px) Image search: [Google]
1493072648550.jpg
46KB, 495x414px
>>73213333
c h e c k e d
>>
>>73213623
>>73212184
>>73212166
>>73212024
If you're a fan of Grails, this is a related project to the band. If you're into more experimental music you'll hopefully like this
https://youtu.be/5dVN2RfwTDw
>>
File: 91ghba8pbqL._SL1500_.jpg (396KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91ghba8pbqL._SL1500_.jpg
396KB, 1500x1500px
If you want more Talk Talk type stuff Elbow takes a bunch of influence from them. Thier new album is pretty dope.
>>
>>73215113
Yeah dude I love L&C. Best Grails side project.
>>
>>73215738
Sick, I very rarely see L&C talked about here. Listen to Emil Amos' new album Filmmusik.

Amos is a major part of Lilacs, Grails, Om, as well as his solo project Holy Sons. I'm embarrassingly obsessed with him, but everything he produces is pretty incredible

Filmmusik has some tracks that didn't fit onto L&C and Grails albums as well as some other stuff. As a whole it's very concise though
>>
>>73211861
f#a# isn't even the best gybe album
>>73211914
Stop telling people what to do
>>
>>73215807
I've seen L&C discussed in Grails threads. It's impossible to discuss L&C if you start a thread on them though.

Holy Sons is a bit overproduced in my opinion, especially on the last few albums, but it's still overall good stuff.

Shit, I didn't realise that Emil released a new album. I'll check it out.
>>
>>73212887
where should I start with cul de sac?
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.