[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I like: >Pink Floyd >Rush >The Alan Parsons Project

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

File: Permanent Waves.jpg (103KB, 594x592px) Image search: [Google]
Permanent Waves.jpg
103KB, 594x592px
I like:
>Pink Floyd
>Rush
>The Alan Parsons Project
>Emerson Lake & Palmer
>King Crimson

I don't like:
>Genesis
>Yes
>Jethro Tull
>Gentile Giant
>Dream Theater

Can someone guide me into the world of progressive rock from here?
>>
>>73156645
>Gentile Giant
oy vey
Also how do you like ELP but not Yes?
Anyway, check out the Canterbury scene for more jazzy stuff (Soft Machine, Robert Wyatt, Gong, for starters)
And I'd check out some more classic bands like Electric Light Orchestra and other prog scenes like italo-prog, (PFM, BDMS are good) krautrock and RIO, (Can, Neu!, Amon Duul II, Henry Cow, Art Zoyd, Univers Zero) and Zeuhl (really you just need to know Magma since they invented it).
Do you have anyway you could articulate why you like these bands more than the others?
Zappa also has some great jazz rock records under his belt.
>>
>>73156825
I think I'm just stuck in the mindset of pop over jazz when it comes to this kind of music. I am already a fan of ELO too. The Move is one of my favorite bands as well (ELO before they were ELO).
>>
>>73156645
>I like rush and elp
>I don't like yes
just fucking kill yourself. I'm not memeing, you shouldn't be alive
>>
>>73156966
lol, if the only reason to be alive is to piss you off, I found a reason to live.
>>
>>73156982
if you can't enjoy yes, you can't enjoy anything. being alive's not for you
>>
File: Paul McCartney.jpg (48KB, 404x480px) Image search: [Google]
Paul McCartney.jpg
48KB, 404x480px
>>73157001
I enjoy your anger. It unironically makes me smile.
>>
>>73157024
I'm not angry, I'm sad for you. I want to help you end your misery
>>
>>73157048
I will be forthright with you then. I've only listened to The Yes Album, Close To The Edge, and Fragile. I did not care for any of them. I can't articulate it further than nothing caught my attention and moved me. It all sounded dated and stale.

Is there a Yes album that will blow me away? I will give it my undivided attention.
>>
>>73157125
>Is there a Yes album that will blow me away?
yes, the three that you listened to.

memes aside, I'm genuinely surprised that there is a person who can like elp and not find anything to like about yes, and even worse think it's dated and stale in comparison
>>
>>73157170
What are your opinions on Tales From Topographic Oceans, Relayer, Going For The One, and Tormato?
>>
>>73156645
i heavily disagree with you but

try bands like traffic, egg, chicago, and renaissance
>>73157125
try their first two albums or tormato
also what genesis have you heard?
>>
>>73157242
I like tfto and relayer more than most people. the former is way more obtuse than the three you listened to, and surprisingly atmospheric for a prog album at the time
>>
>>73157293
It's been a few years since I listened to Genesis, but it was only a sampling from their whole discography. Trespass, Foxtrot, Selling England By The Pound, and Invisible Touch. All loaned to me by a friend who is super into Genesis, Peter Gabriel, and Phil Collins.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eVIhbqbn8s
>>
>>73157293
Also, I heard a lot of Chicago growing up. My parents were big fans and I happened to grow up in the eponymous city of. I don't dislike them, but I haven't actively listened to them in many years.
>>
Bump. I need new music
>>
>>73156645
We're almost the same. I like Jethro Tull and select Yes songs though.
>>
I suggest Van Der Graaf Generator
>>
>>73159116
Anything a bit more accesible?
>>
Listen to Focus.
>>
>>73159168
Focus is meme music though.
>>
>>73159281
Hocus Pocus is not their only song.
>>
>>73156966
>Thinking for one fucking second yes is better than rush
nah I think you need to put a gun in your mouth my dude
>>
>>73156645
gazpacho, airbag, mystery, steven wilson
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54BJQpKiRDc
Try this on for size anon
>>
>>73159281
Focus is literally one of the greatest bands of all time.
>>
>>73156645
What's your opinion on ELO? Also Alan Parson Project is lit
>>
>>73160990
Not OP, but ELO is a band I've been meaning to listen to more of. What's a good place to start with them?
>>
File: 51BZ4+sJrgL.jpg (47KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51BZ4+sJrgL.jpg
47KB, 500x500px
>>73161017
>Sat
Their famous ones are good like Out of the Blue and New World Record. But the ones that really show their on style, and my favorites, are Eldorado and On the Third Day
>>
>>73156645
Listen through all of Camel's albums. Their first album is 10/10
>>
>>73161093
Thanks m8
>>
>>73160990
>>73161017
>>73161093
Id say go for face the music and Time after eldorado
>>
>>73162038
>>73161017
Definitely Face The Music and Time. The only one I really didn't think was all that good was Balance of Power
>>
>>73157125
mawn listen to 90125, that's like my favorite album of them
>>
Check out the album 'Hope' by klaatu...changed my life....also listen thw band Nektar...'down to earth' & 'a tab in the ocean' are great prog albums
>>
>>73160628
The musical break in "Freefall" at around 3:24 is one of my favorite moments on this album
>>
>>73159417
>>73156645
you must be like 15 fucking years old
>>
>>73163554
>likes Yes
>calls others 15 year olds
>>
>>73156825
Wow it's nice when people here write informative, well intentioned posts :)
>>
>>73156645
>hey guys i like prog except i actually don't LOL
>>
>>73163716
OP here, I laughed really hard at this
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.